Howgills Overnighter

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Howgills Overnighter

Post by The Cumbrian »

It looked like I was the only person in The Howgills on Saturday night. I set off from Ravenstonedale to cycle / push my bike over two of the three remaining 2000 footers in the range that I haven't topped. The first one was Green Bell, and I would have camped there but there was no water. I saw a pool that wasn't marked on the map between there and Randygill Top, so I collected some water there and continued on to the top. I was set up in time to watch the sun go down with a rum and coke, and then I had my dehydrated delight for dinner. The sky cleared and the temperature dropped, so I stayed up as long as I could to watch the stars before going to bed.
I had half planned to go on to bag Yarlside, but I had somewhere to be, the weather was coming in (I had some unexpected snow flakes whip around me as I was packing up), and it looked much steeper in real life than on the map. I reversed my route, and the path down from Green Bell was as good a downhill as I thought it would be when I was pushing up it the previous day.

Heading towards the summit of Green Bell.

Not much fun to push the bike up, but great to ride down.

Green Bell.

Randygill Top.

“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
fatbikephil

Re: Howgills Overnighter

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Used to love walking in the Howgills when I was a sprog and did a fair bit of biking up them latterly - some lovely riding.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've only started going there in the last few weeks, and I've been there three times now. First time was on the the bike over The Calf and down White Fell, second was a backpacking trip bagging the fells around The Calf and then this. Fantastic area with loads of good cycling.
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks grand. I've always looked longingly at those hills when travelling up to Scotland.

I particularly like the selfie - you put me in mind of a slightly annoyed someone who's just discovered a hidden camera!
ton

Post by ton »

looks vaguely exciting that.

on another note, that shelter i got from you came with a large full inner, and a half winter inner.
is there a half size outer like yours in the above pics, that would work with the inner i got from you ?
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I'm not sure Tony, but it's always worth a look on Ali Express. The shelter in the pics is a Zpacks Altaplex.
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The Cumbrian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 pm I'm not sure Tony, but it's always worth a look on Ali Express. The shelter in the pics is a Zpacks Altaplex.
I was thinking that looks like a rather posh shelter...

On another note, Howgill Fells. Pretty sure that was one of the places we went with family and kids. Is it the one you need to go through the pub to get across to. First time ever my missus (and possibly me, can't recall properly) had ever stepped inside a public house...
redefined_cycles

NB. Amazing pics and thanks for sharing the ride/post/pics/views... :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Howgills are much quieter than the Lakes. Surprisingly even though I could see them from the farm where I grew up I never visited them while I lived there, only doing so once I'd moved away.

There's a good few quad bike tracks along the ridges that make for good going, plus of course the Bowderdale descent.

Cautley Spout freezes up once in a blue moon and is a good ice climb. Further up the beck behind the fall is an old sheep fank that's been done up by Andy Holdsworthy as one of his art installations. Not too hard to get to from The Calf - head down the first drop heading towards Sedbergh then turn immediately left. Best turn back after the fank - it's a bit of a drop over the Spout!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I still can't believe that I've ignored the area for years, especially having driven past it literally hundreds of times. Even beyond The Howgills to the north, south and east there are miles and miles of empty rolling hills with lots of bridleways and quiet country roads. I'm looking forward to getting to know the area.
Bilbo Baggins.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice pics and words - sounds lovely.

I've visited the area a couple of times walking, but always meant go with the bike. Nearly did once - driving back from my girlfriend's parents on my own, bike with me, planned to go up the M6 and have a ride on the way. Triggered the trapped nerve in my back getting into the car on the morning, so drove straight home and could barely walk for 3 days :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Aye just north of the Howgills is great - Orton and Great Asby Scar are fab places
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

whitestone wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 pm
Cautley Spout freezes up once in a blue moon and is a good ice climb. Further up the beck behind the fall is an old sheep fank that's been done up by Andy Holdsworthy as one of his art installations. Not too hard to get to from The Calf - head down the first drop heading towards Sedbergh then turn immediately left. Best turn back after the fank - it's a bit of a drop over the Spout!
I dropped down to Cautley Spout from Great Dummacks on my recent backpacking trip and was impressed by it. I can remember reading about it as a winter route in a climbing mag years ago and thinking that it looked good. I never got there though, when things froze up there was too much on my doorstep in The Lakes.
I wish I'd known about the sheep fank, I would have gone to have a look.
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 pm I'm not sure Tony, but it's always worth a look on Ali Express. The shelter in the pics is a Zpacks Altaplex.

On another note, Howgill Fells. Pretty sure that was one of the places we went with family and kids. Is it the one you need to go through the pub to get across to. First time ever my missus (and possibly me, can't recall properly) had ever stepped inside a public house...
I dunno if were talking about the same pub...
is the cross key in still there by Cautley spout.
years ago, I crave a pint walked a mile there, after a day Backpacking. to discover.
i) closed
ii)it was temperence house (NT leased).
so I walked to Sedburgh, a few jars & then back, a few extra (6)miles.!
Last time we we're there, a storm was coming up in up Bowderdale . we retreated. it caught us up. and there was a direct strike 50 yards away. My mum jumped into our arms!
I got married a few month later.. (not to my mum :roll:)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's Hardraw Force near Hawes, Shaf, the highest waterfall in England. For Cautley Spout you park by the pub (as above it's a temperance pub so no alcohol) and walk in to the fall.

Edit: it's not a temperance pub due to being an NT property, it became a temperance pub due to the previous owner who made it a stipulation that it remained so when she sold it on.
Last edited by whitestone on Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:42 am That's Hardraw Force near Hawes, Shaf, the highest waterfall in England. For Cautley Spout you park by the pub (as above it's a temperance pub so no alcohol) and walk in to the fall.
Yup, Hardraw Force, The Green Dragon. Spent New Years camped there once. That was an experience :grin:
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:42 am

That's Hardraw Force near Hawes, Shaf, the highest waterfall in England. For Cautley Spout you park by the pub (as above it's a temperance pub so no alcohol) and walk in to the fall.

Edit: it's not a temperance pub due to being an NT property, it became a temperance pub due to the previous owner who made it a stipulation that it remained so when she sold it on.
That's the one Bob... Hardraw Force... So Cautley Spout seems like it needs visiting with the family. Best get on to it :-bd
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[/quote]

That's the one Bob... Hardraw Force... So Cautley Spout seems like it needs visiting with the family. Best get on to it :-bd
[/quote]

It's a really nice, easy walk up the valley with a few nice flat, grassy places for a picnic with great views of the force. The walk to the top of the force is very steep, and I'm glad that I was walking down it.
Bilbo Baggins.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I particularly like the selfie - you put me in mind of a slightly annoyed someone who's just discovered a hidden camera!
A selfie? I thought you'd gone with Brian Blessed Jnr!