Strictly Local

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JoseMcTavish

Re: Strictly Local

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Yes we're pretty lucky in this area to have an extensive network of small roads and tracks criss-crossing all over the place. Happily, no beatings were applied on this journey, though I did get grief on Strava for not heading out to sea to fully follow the eastern boundary!
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

I looked into riding the boarder of my home County of Suffolk after reading about ex pro road cyclist Rochelle Gilmore, who rode the boarder of New South Wales.
Her ride was an impressive 5000km and took her 35 days.
The Suffolk boarder is a mere 300 miles and should take me 3 days.
I have decided to wait until restrictions are lifted a bit so I can do it without worry of getting into trouble.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I did a ride last year that took in every metre of road/RoW inside my postcode area (B50). It's not a huge area, only about 6 miles across. The ride was about 55 miles all told.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Interesting idea Rich. I've just looked what SY19 covers. Runs from Staylittle down to Llanbrynmair, which I quickly reckon would be a total area of around 35 square miles. It wouldn't take long to ride the roads within it but some time to cover the other RoW :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My local authority area is just under 10,000 square miles.

I might be gone some time :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've been riding every road in my local area. I've done my postcode and a few of the surrounding ones, tracking where I've been in velo viewer. Kept me local and given me something to do
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I went out and rode my 37 mile boundary of North Tyneside route today. It was actually a pretty good route considering it's a fairly arbitrary line - a nice mixture of paths, with a bit of road. Woodlands, open farmland, a nice bit of coastline, a major river, nature reserves... and obviously some suburban bits and pieces too.

It took me a bit under 3 hours to ride, which was surprising - there weren't too many navigational problems.

I ended up with a deadline to get home to go meet a friend for a walk, otherwise I would have taken my time over it and taken more pictures, but will definitely do it again.

Thanks for the inspiration!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

benp1 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:43 am I've been riding every road in my local area. I've done my postcode and a few of the surrounding ones, tracking where I've been in velo viewer. Kept me local and given me something to do
I’ve decided to shamelessly nick your idea :-bd
I started small, this afternoon I decided to ride all the roads in my local part of Banbury. I was surprised, nearly 18 miles later up and down cul-de-sacs I realised it might be a bigger undertaking than I’d expected. Still I got to see some nice parts of town.....

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I'm loving this - it's amazing how much the miles rack up even in modestly sized areas. Who would have thought a sewage treatment plant would be so welcoming? :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Coincidentally, the local Gravel W***ers Association went and did the Newcastle boundary recently, which shares a lot of border with my North Tyneside area:

https://www.gravelunion.cc/edgelands
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

A premature end to today’s ‘ride every road’ trip. Turning around in a dead end I hit a patch of oil.
Went down hard, elbow, knee and hands. Nicely bent hanger and road rash on an expensive AXS mech and Red shifter, plus torn RAB jacket.
At least this time I didn’t break the elbow :-bd

WARNING CONTAINS GRAPHIC HANGER CONTENT

https://strava.app.link/CZ5Y70hv5db
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PaulE

Post by PaulE »

You've got me looking now - boundary of the S10 postcode is a fairly interesting looking 36km run... Other than a few miles along the top of Stanage edge, all rideable too. Given a very dry few days of a heavy freeze then it looks a fun little ride.

In a similar way of thinking, my running club Dark Peak fell runners do an annual Bradfield Boundary run and I believe that Ian Fitz (not seen him on here for a bit) came up with a bike version?
Verena

Post by Verena »

Along similar lines, this guy Ken in Frankfurt has designed a 303km route all around Frankfurt, big urban area, finding gravel and single-track and other assorted paths in unexpected places.... write up in English if you scroll down
https://www.greffelruendsche.info/
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I drew up a lap of (modern) Lancashire last year after Shaf asked whether it could be done. https://www.strava.com/routes/2711956438649107050 Would be nice to give that a go once all this is over.

Did one of the Peak District too, which I did actually get to ride https://www.strava.com/activities/3753909923
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

i need a bit more work on the algorithm :grin: This was running the Swindon local authority area
boundary.jpg
boundary.jpg (200.12 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Having once nearly boiled my brain just trying a simple SQL query in MapInfo I think producing that is more impressive than riding it would be :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:36 pm i need a bit more work on the algorithm :grin: This was running the Swindon local authority area

boundary.jpg
Just an idle thought Dave, but have you ever thought of developing a veloviewer explorer app?
There is nothing with any real functionality, I end up with the veloviewer map open and another eye on my garmin set to a plug-in page which shows if I’ve entered a square. I imagine there’s a considerable number who’d part with a chunk of cash for a decent vv and OS map interface.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:36 pm i need a bit more work on the algorithm :grin: This was running the Swindon local authority area

boundary.jpg
Just an idle thought Dave, but have you ever thought of developing a veloviewer explorer app?
There is nothing with any real functionality, I end up with the veloviewer map open and another eye on my garmin set to a plug-in page which shows if I’ve entered a square. I imagine there’s a considerable number who’d part with a chunk of cash for a decent vv and OS map interface.
Does this not do what you want?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... v&hl=en_IE
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sadly I’m in an iPhone...