Mull and Ardnamurchan

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Mull and Ardnamurchan

Post by robbie »

Planning a little west coast road tour for the spring if we ever get out of lockdown. Will be on the gravel bike so will mostly be road but looking for some alternative routes.
Arran - Campbeltown, follow the 78 to Oban, ferry to Mull then Tobermory ferry to Ardnamurchan then onto Glenfinnan etc
Only been to Mull once for a cross race and didn't see much so has anyone got any good route suggestions from Craignure to Tobermory off the road as much as possible dosn't have to be direct as will have a bit of time.
Same from Ardnamurchan to Loch Shiel any good routes?
Cheers
ScotRoutes

Re: Mull and Ardnamurchan

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ardnamurchan to Loch Shiel..

Head North to Ockle then take the track to Acharacle. You'll be pushing a couple of bits but it's mostly rideable.

The Strontian - Polloch road is a classic. It's also possible to take the hill track out of Scotstown and past the old lead mine. That's definitely harder work and I'd prefer a MTB for that option.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Strontian to Polloch and the LRT on to Glenfinnan along the side of Loch Shiel is noteworthy (your legs and brakes may not agree with the first section)
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Just don't camp on Strontian Hill. You won't be able to have any kids afterwards. :lol:
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I had a short trip on Mull a couple of years back. A lovely part of the world.
From Craignure I headed clockwise to Knock.
Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-j0qOl9fjI&t=
Pics: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14555&p=180428&hilit=mull#p180428
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
robbie

Post by robbie »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:27 am Ardnamurchan to Loch Shiel..

Head North to Ockle then take the track to Acharacle. You'll be pushing a couple of bits but it's mostly rideable.

The Strontian - Polloch road is a classic. It's also possible to take the hill track out of Scotstown and past the old lead mine. That's definitely harder work and I'd prefer a MTB for that option.
Great that's exactly what I had planned on komoot as seemed to work on the map.
robbie

Post by robbie »

More pondering on this. Is there a route suitable from Glenfinnan to kinglochhourn without going up the canal then cutting accross from Invergarry so more up the west side? I see a couple of options but not clear on terrain?
Dean

Post by Dean »

robbie wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:19 pm More pondering on this. Is there a route suitable from Glenfinnan to kinglochhourn without going up the canal then cutting accross from Invergarry so more up the west side? I see a couple of options but not clear on terrain?
The Cape Wrath Trail is the most direct route but is quite damp/not a well-made path in many places and the coastal path from Barisdale bothy to Kinlochhourn is a rollercoaster slog of bikeheaving. I do not have my GPS files for the hike in but I think it was like 500m ascent/descent in 12km on this coastal path and took me 4 hours with a large backpack (I did stop for lunch to watch two otters diving for crabs at Caolas Mor).

I would think that the canal/Invergarry road would be twice as quick despite being three times the distance and you could avoid the very fast A87 by going though the forest along the southside of Loch Garry to Torr na Carraidh. The Loch Hourn road is beautiful.