Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JimmyG

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by JimmyG »

Apologies in advance as this is a bit wordy. Sorry!!

I don’t have a garden. I also don’t have any intention of giving up the BAM thing until such times as health issues dictate or it becomes a chore. On that note, almost immediately after my retirement in 2017, a heart-related health issue forced me to abandon the endurance event cycling plans I'd made. I don’t mind admitting that, as a consequence, I grew pretty depressed for a while. I’m lucky enough, however, that my condition isn’t serious enough to prevent me cycling regularly but it has forced me to reduce the intensity of those rides. As luck would have it, I chanced upon this site and learned that here was an alternative kind of cycling activity that would tie in nicely with my love of the hills/mountains and wild camping but with no real emphasis on speed. Since then I’ve done three consecutive years’ worth of BAMs. Over that period, when at times my mojo level has dipped for various reasons, I’ve found BAM has provided an excellent incentive to load up and get out there despite everything. I should add that striving to keep up the BAM series (the getting out there amongst nature, the solitude, etc.) has done my mental well-being a power of good.

So… to the Covid-19 lockdown situation we find ourselves in (again). The current Scottish rules state - ‘You can travel for local outdoor sport or exercise such as meeting another person, walking, cycling, golf or running that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area), as long as you abide by the rules on meeting other households.’ That’s absolutely not a problem for me and, in fact, when I’ve been riding I’ve been alone and staying far closer to home than the above wording allows. Notably, there’s no express reference to overnight camping in there (because nobody’s mad enough to do that at this time of year, right?) and therefore, while I’m adhering to the above, once a month I will be breaking up a two-day exercise ‘block’ with a solo overnight camp in between.

Lest anyone think I’m a Covid-denier or just flagrantly disregarding the rules, I can assure them that couldn’t be further from the truth. Apart from my stepson and his live-in girlfriend who came to ours on Christmas Day and the long-suffering Mrs G, I have not spoken to any friends or family face to face since the 18th December. Being retired, I’ve been able to stay at home most of the time, only venturing out for a bike ride or a walk around my local area. Much more regrettably, I have not been able to see my two twenty-something kids (who live in South Wales and whom I love dearly) since last January due to the various travel restrictions. That has been hard to bear since normally I would see them at least 5 or 6 times a year, either here or down in Wales.

Now that’s out of the way… Phew! I hear you say… on Friday evening at around 7.30 p.m I rode just short of 5 miles into Dalmeny Estate on the western outskirts of Edinburgh. My objective was the remains of the former wartime coastal defence positions where I’d spent a night in January of last year. Unsurprisingly, I didn’t see a soul on my ride in. On arrival I found that the floor of the building I’d used last time was wet due to a leaking roof so I moved to a nearby one that was pretty much bone dry. It also turned out to be better placed to block the biting westerly wind. It was a cold, crisp night (reaching -2, according to the weather folk) but quite pleasant once I’d got the warm gear on and got settled in. By the way, I‘m currently enduring the Dry January thing so no real beer for me this time. Instead, I settled for a couple of BrewDog Punk AF cans. Nothing like the real deal but not too bad as these things go.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

In the morning, after I’d had ‘breakfast in bed’, I reluctantly prised myself from the warmth of my sleeping bag, packed up then stashed my bike before exploring the surrounding woodland, searching for other potential future bivvy sites. A successful mission, I might add.

ImageDry January by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I then had a spin around some of the estate’s beaches before re-joining the trails leading homewards, made easier since the many patches of mud I’d squelched through the night before had frozen overnight.

It’s clear to see from earlier comments on this forum how emotive the whole issue of bivvying outdoors and the perception that others might be willfully flouting the Covid rules, has become. I fully understand why feelings can run high here and, for that reason, whilst I will be continuing my BAM 2021 challenge I won’t be posting any further reports on here until the dust settles, so to speak, and the rules are less restrictive. I'm comfortable with the stance I've taken and rest assured that I’ll be riding solo, staying within my local authority area and will be doing so in a manner that presents no risk to mine or anyone else’s health.

Apologies again for the ramble but, self-indulgent or not, I feel better for getting it out.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Good read that Jimmy, thank you.

Suffice to say we are all individuals and thank God for that.

Another angle to this plague thingy can be considered in terms of evolution.
We’ve got this far because our immune systems have had to adapt, and fight...

And make the species stronger.

I mean you didn’t throw a rave part or anything...
You weren’t walking and talking very loudly and getting too near to others.

The rules are designed to prevent the germs spreading to others, and so long as you are in no way contributing to that, good on yer :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You can travel for local outdoor sport or exercise such as meeting another person, walking, cycling, golf or running that starts and finishes at the same place

My bold.

I'm not saying you should abide by all the rules (I was breaking one an hour ago} but let's not pretend that an overnight bivvy is within them.
I have not been able to see my two twenty-something kids
I misread this at first and you had me thinking you'd lost count of your large family 😂
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

ericrobo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:11 pm Good read that Jimmy, thank you.

Suffice to say we are all individuals and thank God for that.

Another angle to this plague thingy can be considered in terms of evolution.
We’ve got this far because our immune systems have had to adapt, and fight...

And make the species stronger.

I mean you didn’t throw a rave part or anything...
You weren’t walking and talking very loudly and getting too near to others.

The rules are designed to prevent the germs spreading to others, and so long as you are in no way contributing to that, good on yer :-bd
Thanks for the acknowledgement Eric. It's a complex, far-reaching issue for sure that has and will continue to take its toll on people in many different ways. At the end of the day, we're all just trying to get through it the best way we know how.

Cheers
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 pm
You can travel for local outdoor sport or exercise such as meeting another person, walking, cycling, golf or running that starts and finishes at the same place

My bold.

I'm not saying you should abide by all the rules (I was breaking one an hour ago} but let's not pretend that an overnight bivvy is within them.
I have not been able to see my two twenty-something kids
I misread this at first and you had me thinking you'd lost count of your large family 😂
Nah Colin. Just the two.

To the first part of your post: You couldn’t help yourself, could you? :smile: I must stress the intention of my post was absolutely not to start a debate on the whole subject. Quite the contrary since it’s pretty clear to me how people’s opinions vary on this emotive matter and I'm seeking neither approval nor condemnation. I don’t recall pretending that the nature of my intended activity will adhere 100% to the current laws. I guess that makes us both lawbreakers then.

I’ll close by reiterating that I’m not interested on entering into a debate (healthy or otherwise) on here. Some clearly enjoy it, fair enough. I don’t, it's not why I come on to the site and I won’t be engaging further on the matter.

Signing off now and wishing you Happy BAMming.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I’ve learned a lot from this site, so thank you to all the contributors.

And for that reason I have to contribute a little something in return...

I was (and still am) predominantly a rock climber and mountaineer. And I was born in the middle of the war (that one, the second)

In my day when you met someone on the hill you nearly always exchanged a few pleasantries, and very often you knew them..

We had a saying “the spirit of the hill “.
Please remember that.

We have no time for useless nit picking, and acting like lawyers and politicians.

If you are drowning, you had better swim, and not read the manual, and ponder whether it means this or that.

Same with the madness we are all in now...

IF YOU ARE IN NO WAY CONTRIBUTING TO SPREADING THE VIRUS, THEN YOU ARE FOLLOWING THE SPIRIT OF THE LAW... (or rules, whatever)

So I hope this gives food for thought...

Ps - Sturgeon won’t understand any of this, though she’ll have plenty to say about it...
Gob gob gob
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 am Mate of mine just told me we're all mad. I replied that in my view the sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round............
Should be on the inside of your front door as a warning to you as you head out!! Toothpicks...?!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a complex, far-reaching issue for sure that has and will continue to take its toll on people in many different ways. At the end of the day, we're all just trying to get through it the best way we know how.
We all do what we need to do Jimmy, so just keep doing what you do :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 am Mate of mine just told me we're all mad. I replied that in my view the sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round............
I had to read this over and over as it seemed like one of them math puzzles 'a negative ad a negative makes a positive'. Finally got it that it was what we already knew. Yes the mental asylum is indeed indoors. Did I get it right Reg?

I really feel sorry for folk (not counting those that need to self isolate cos they're covid positive as that's only transient) who keep themselves stuck indoors. Outdoors is where the (mental) health is... defineilty agreed...
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:23 pm
I had to read this over and over as it seemed like one of them math puzzles 'a negative ad a negative makes a positive'. Finally got it that it was what we already knew. Yes the mental asylum is indeed indoors. Did I get it right Reg?

I really feel sorry for folk (not counting those that need to self isolate cos they're covid positive as that's only transient) who keep themselves stuck indoors. Outdoors is where the (mental) health is... defineilty agreed...
Weee-e-e-ellll... almost :wink: . Aside from the serious point that in the past people were locked away for reasons that shock/horrify us now, and aside from mental health being a complex field that ought not lightly be mocked.... point is that all the Normals (listen to We Are Normal by the Bonzo Dogs...) in the world pass an asylum and its sign and think "glad I'm normal" as they walk on by.... but turn that sign round and approach it from the other direction as if you were a resident of said building.....what would they be thinking then... and what would it make the people they're looking at... see where this is going? :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ll admit I’m finding this hard. I now live alone and have stopped seeing my folks (they were the only people I was seeing) with the virus resurgent and vaccination imminent I’ve judged the risk too high.
If I go out on the bike I’m into another county pretty soon or riding crap busy roads local to me. So I’ve not been on the bike for a month, in December I did 600k in the slop and floods. Enjoyed every minute of it and hardly saw a soul.
This morning I drove into London to Fabric night club to inspect and test their rigging, five people were onsite, yes masked and being sensible. This is allowed. Putting my bike in my van, driving a while then riding alone through the country side, or sleeping alone in a wood can get you nicked.
Unfortunately the lack of common sense among a few has led to the majority of us being unable to apply it within less strict guidelines.

BAM 21 is not going to happen for me, I’ve not got a garden as such and to be honest I got very little enjoyment out of my two garden BAM’s last year.
If you live somewhere remote and can get out for a ride and Bivvy without seeing anyone, I don’t blame you. Personally I’ll be waiting for the real thing, not long now.......
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:23 pm

Weee-e-e-ellll... almost :wink: . Aside from the serious point that in the past people were locked away for reasons that shock/horrify us now, and aside from mental health being a complex field that ought not lightly be mocked.... point is that all the Normals (listen to We Are Normal by the Bonzo Dogs...) in the world pass an asylum and its sign and think "glad I'm normal" as they walk on by.... but turn that sign round and approach it from the other direction as if you were a resident of said building.....what would they be thinking then :wink: .
Thanks for the careful clarification Reg. Yes, I agree... There's many on the outside who should be locked away and many that the world deems as 'cracked' who are actually not.

On another note, following GimmyGs last post its saddens me that he's left. As one of 'the nurses' I can defienelyy confirm that the nursing workforce, who know or are made to understand what the BAM is and how our members behave (responsibly), would by no means think we were out of order. I even spoke to our local (sensible) infection prevention control lead about this (ex ICU) who agreed it wasn't a safety issue at all.

Like JimmyG said, I'm also not trying to spark an argument and I do hope noone starts challenging me about my comments. I was one of the first to try to complete the BB200 (epic fail) and toom precaution and dont for one moment think I presented a risk to the countryside or spreading of the SARScov19.

I'm a bit knackered after a few back to back shifts so won't go any further into it. But my recent roadtrip which helped many nurses (and the motivation to make the trip wss to pick up a bike as it ws a long journey) within a 200 mile range south from me, confirmed what the nurses were feeling and who their 'fingerpoiting and blame' was aimed at. It certainly wasn't the (responsible) outdoor community.

I do hope JimmyG will somehow manage to keep sharing his little BAMs but just thought to share these thoughts... I'm in a similar situation that when I go to help out on these agency shifts, I take my/plan to take my bike. I try to share rides as most people that see em on Strava know that they are linked to my nursing/the hospitals. Still didn't stop one of my mates 'advise' me the other day that maybr it wss irresponsible of me!

Anyway... ride safe people and Allah help them people that keep talking about the medics/nurses being guilty of killing people (no joke... there is that mindset that exists and its unbelievable... it's sometimes these same people that due to their blaise attitudes and catching the virus, we have to spend much strssful hours fighting to keep their oxygen levels up and compatible with life)...
redefined_cycles

NB. I really do wish we could all stop judging each other and just ride our stupid bikes. :-bd Like Dave and Andy (all the Daves and Andys both here and out there in the big bad world...).
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well I’m out in the back garden in the snow, lying in my sleeping bag listening to the neighbourhood go to sleep. It feels odd, weirder than my backyard bivies in wave one for some reason (maybe it’s the snow). But hey, I’m outside, it’s an experience and it’s 11 in a row. Just one more to go for the full 12 months.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm NB. I really do wish we could all stop judging each other and just ride our stupid bikes. :-bd Like Dave and Andy (all the Daves and Andys both here and out there in the big bad world...).
I've found that the best way to avoid judging other folk is to make sure I'm not squeaky clean myself. :lol:
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:43 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm NB. I really do wish we could all stop judging each other and just ride our stupid bikes. :-bd Like Dave and Andy (all the Daves and Andys both here and out there in the big bad world...).
I've found that the best way to avoid judging other folk is to make sure I'm not squeaky clean myself. :lol:
Lol.. nah, I wasn't talking about you at all Colin. Just a blanket statement about what many do nowadays and forgrt that they/we/I don't and cannot appreciate the situation the other might have been in to do such a thing. Lile for example the folks that end up in ICU cos they went to visit a loved one who had Covid. Absurd to me and you but at the time its sometimes just a poor judgement on someones behalf... etc etc etc :smile:

I'm trying my best to remind myself that at work all the time. Even the asian chap that came in the other day (to Heartlands Birmigham) and gave the impression that he felt we were trying to kill him by forcing 60% pressurised oxygen on him... :grin: Hope he makes it
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

A picture to go with my brief report above.

As you can see, we get the full “Land of the midnight sun” experience as a freebie with our council tax, so I’m chalking this up as an Arctic expedition.

Really, though, I’m nothing like as hardcore as others. No locked doors, forecourt breakfast or breezy tarp for me - I went for the luxury of my one-man tent. It’s the first time I’ve slept in a tent for a few years but - honestly - I’m glad I did as it was noticeably cooler outside when I unzipped my abode in the morning.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Only on here would someone describe sleeping in the garden in a tent in the snow as "luxury" :lol: To the rest of the population that would be considered some kind of punishment. I'd guess the street light is more of a problem than the snow.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:31 am Only on here would someone describe sleeping in the garden in a tent in the snow as "luxury" :lol: To the rest of the population that would be considered some kind of punishment. I'd guess the street light is more of a problem than the snow.
:grin:

Yes agreed about the streetlight. In my grumpy old man phase of life I can see me starting to take a blindfold as well as earplugs in future!

Just finished tidying up my gear. Mrs P was highly unamused by all the tarps and sheets and things draped around the house drying.

Still, on the upside, because my groundsheet was frozen to the lawn, it ripped half the lawn up when I lifted it, so I've now got a sort of portable rolled-up lawn that I can use if I'm unable to find a decent bit of bivvy ground in future.

Reminds me of General Melchett's piece of captured enemy territory presented in his office. When Blackadder queries the scale it turns out that it's the actual bit of 1:1 scale ground itself. Probably my favourite Blackadder scene of them all.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bloody street lamps eh? I've been scouting around the gardens of my adjacent neighbours (all second homes and currently vacant) trying to determine whether any of them have less light than we do. The only one that had a dark spot also has a PIR security light. Might work if I use a tent...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:31 am Only on here would someone describe sleeping in the garden in a tent in the snow as "luxury" :lol: To the rest of the population that would be considered some kind of punishment. I'd guess the street light is more of a problem than the snow.
I'd really struggle with that light so fair play.

Was there a yellow patch next day?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 am

I'd really struggle with that light so fair play.

Was there a yellow patch next day?
A pee bootle sorts that - or leaving the back door open
RIP

Post by RIP »

Talking of tyvek and the like, anyone know where to buy coloured polycro? I mainly have a groundsheet to keep my mat clean, to kneel on when I get into the tarp so's not to get muck on my bag, and sometimes to put stuff on. Doesn't need to be robust (aside from the re-use minimum-waste angle).

Despite being 'waterproof' my tyveks now wet out and through quite easily. They're also twice as heavy as polycro. I've got some huge very thin clear plastic bags which are ok. They have some blue lettering on which helps to see them but to get to the point you can't see the edges, and therefore can't rapidly check they're not poking outside the tarp or where to kneel.

Tried googling for some coloured polycro but no luck.

shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

RIP wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:17 am Talking of tyvek and the like, anyone know where to buy coloured polycro?
Isn’t this the stuff that was designed for makeshift window doubling? ie the layer of polycro acts as a double glazing. As such you might struggle to get it in colours other than ‘window’...
Could you edge a sheet of it with reflective/High viz tape?
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
RIP

Post by RIP »

shutuplegs wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:52 am
RIP wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:17 am Talking of tyvek and the like, anyone know where to buy coloured polycro?
As such you might struggle to get it in colours other than ‘window’...
Ahem, good point that man :wink: .
Could you edge a sheet of it with reflective/High viz tape?
Weight :wink: . But yes I think something like that will have to be the answer. Ta.