Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

shutuplegs

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by shutuplegs »

Headed out locally to a spot I’ve had my eye on for a while. Um’ed and ah’ed on the ride out about whether to turn back, felt a few spots of rain and could see what looked like more inbound. I only had my groundsheet and quilt as the forecast was a clear night. I’d also had my first vaccine jab yesterday so had been feeling a bit groggy.
Stuck with it though, set my stuff up in the long grass and set to work on the hip flask. The aforementioned rain did in fact materialise during the night but I got back to sleep pretty quickly, wasn’t soaked in the morning so it can’t have been too bad.
Cracked out the meths stove in the morning and made a coffee, sat there for around an hour finishing my book before riding home.
These ladies were quite interested in the stove!

That’s 6/6 for me this year. Halfway!
Depending on the work situation I may be able to get something more exciting in towards the end of the month but that can be a bonus.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

htrider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:50 pm Looks a good trip Jimmy. I did the shore path up Loch Etive a couple of times back in the '90's and it was always pretty hard going. Top bivvy spot though!
Cheers Phil. A good trip right enough although it pales into insignificance compared to your HT exploits! Re the shore path: There were a few sections that might normally be rideable but were totally waterlogged after the recent rain. Anyway, I was glad to get it over and done with!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

May 2021 BaM

Every year, Scotrail do a special offer of £17 Return fare to anywhere in Scotland. The offer is open to holders of the Club 50 rail card and usually occurs twice a year. Now that we can travel outwith our own local authority, I decided we would use the offer and travel further afield. (Fraser's ticket cost more than mine). Riding through the Lairig Leacach above Spean Bridge had always appealed to me as it's surrounded by beautiful hills. Tickets in hand and bikes packed, we headed north.

Got to Spean Bridge and grabbed an early tea before heading off.

Plenty of signs pointing the way

The ride started off along the side of the river Spean. At Coirechoille, the road ended and we hit the tracks. All the walking guidebooks advise the track is very rough and car drivers should take great care. The initial track was full of potholes and when the climbing started, the surface was very loose and steep. Once we hit the treeline, things got even steeper and meant a few hike a bikes.

Grabbed a stop when wee Fraser met the wee Minister

The pass tops out at 511m and the mountains start to open out but the grind continued. When we got to the top of the pass, we were hit with a strong headwind

Cruach Innse came into view

Further along, Stob Coire na Ceannain appeared.

I had a loose plan if time allowed, we would try bag the Munro Stob Ban but as it took us almost 2 hours to cover 13kms, we decided to save it for another day. The heat through the pass was also quite tiring. Instead, we set up the tent and went for a wee walk

Stob Ban behind the tent

Sgurr Innse at the other side of the tent

Next morning, we packed up and were on the road by 9. Our train home was at 12 noon. I always like to have time in hand in case of mechanicals or Fraser not feeling great. We popped into Lairig Leacach bothy for a quick look and to sign the bothy book. As Fraser commented, the bothy is bigger inside than out.

We had the benefit of a bit of a tailwind back up the pass but as the surface was still pretty bad, it didn't help

Happy to be going downhill.

You couldn't really let the bike run on the downhill due to the amount of loose stuff. The descent of 1200ft was still good fun.

We got back to Spean Bridge with good time in hand. Had a great breakfast in the Bridge cafe before jumping on the train home.

A tired boy on the way home. He had ridden a 106k Audax 2 days before and tiredness caught up. That said, as a family we went gorge walking in Arran the next day.

BaM 2021
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Late post, but hey-ho. Here is my BaM for May, at the WRT 2021.

This was my grandsons' first foray into bikepacking, although he does do a lot of mountain biking with his mates.

So, from BBTowers to Pont Crugnant, then up to the top of the Trannon wind farm. Last year, my son and I descended through the forestry/rally school, but this time we could hear cars racing around so thought it wiser to follow the paths over the moorland, through the tussocks, to Blaencerniog then lanes to Caersws where we stopped for sustenance. We then crossed the A489 to some lanes, BW and lane down to Llandinam. From there to Llanidloes where we stocked up on sweeties and cake before hammocking in some woodland beside the Severn Way.

First bivvy...

Day 2 was through the Hafren forest, down past Sweet Lamb, crossing the A44 into more forestry where we had a fairly close encounter with a pair of otters which crossed the track ahead of us. I've never seen a wild otter before, so it was a big highlight of the weekend for me. We climbed to the top of the wind farm at Cefn Croes before dropping down past Nantsyddion bothy to Ponterwyd, where Ice-cream was bought and eaten (360gm Oreo).

We'd been looking forward to a Red Kite Cafe all-day breakfast, but it was closed so on to NantyrArian visitor centre for a BLT and coffee. We watched a flock of red kites circling the lake before climbing up past Llyn Syfydrin, then bivvied near the end of Nant-y-Moch,

Second Bivvy...

Last Day... Anglers Retreat, Llyn Penrhaeadr, Hafodwnog, Mynydd Bychan, Siambr Trawsfynydd, Glaslyn, before dropping down to the forestry above BBTowers and lovely lovely cake & tea.

So how did it go? The first day was a bit grey and misty, so there weren't many views to enjoy. Sunday and Monday were too hot for me. We left 16 miles for the last day, but with the heat and climbing and my pitiful speed, I wish I hadn't left so much. Grandson Henry was surprised how hard it was cycling in Mid-wales. He isn't used to sustained time in the saddle so the long days were much harder than he'd been expecting. I haven't asked him yet if he'd do it again.. I'll be there though....
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Loving the napping buffster!

I have a bit of Stob Ban here on my desk. A big lump of quartz that I put in my rucksack, slid down underneath the liner and I then carried around 20-ish other Munros before I remembered why my bag was so heavy! :oops:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Some great BAM reports here folks, super nice to see you all getting out!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Great trip there Alan. Not been up there in donks. I stayed in the bothy with the school mountaineering club in about 1980something, it is a cracker. More recently did the descent down the glen a coupe of times doing the Glen Nevis / Lairig Leachach circuit and its a good 'un too :-bd
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Me again, already. Sorry! Anyway, striking while the iron was hot or, rather, while the weather forecast was still looking good, I headed north again. I’d decided another visit to Corrour Station (of the ‘Trainspotting’ film fame – remember the “It’s poor show being Scottish” line uttered by Renton after the train had spat them out on to a deserted platform in the middle of nowhere?) was in order. I last made an off-road journey to this out of the way station in September 2019, coming that time from Loch Laggan away to the northeast. On this latest trip I started at Rannoch Station and took the off-road track heading northwest to Loch Ossian where I’d camped back in 2019.

During the first half of the traverse there were some steady climbs and there were some steeper climbs, none of which would ordinarily cause any undue stress on an unladen bike. However, on a loaded bike and with my legs still feeling a bit heavy from the weekend’s exertions, there were a couple of times where I got off, pushed the bike and just enjoyed the scenery. Once at the top, though, the reward came in a fun descent towards Loch Ossian.

ImageUp by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageUp a bit more by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageDown by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageDescent to Loch Ossian by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

No trip to this neck of the woods would be complete without paying a visit to the Corrour Station restaurant. Back in 2019 I remember enjoying a second breakfast there, consisting of two sausage and black pudding rolls washed down by coffee. On this occasion I opted for their renowned venison burger and chips, etc. If you should ever find yourself up that way I’d heartily recommend it. Oh, and the couple of pints of Glen Spean Brewing Co ‘Pale Blonde’ weren’t half bad, too.

ImageOoft! by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Resisting the temptation to have ‘just one more’ pint, I rolled back down to the loch and followed the gravel track alongside the north shore until I found a suitable spot.

That didn’t take long and I was soon settled in for the night. The convenient breeze was doing a sterling job of suspending midge flight operations but as the night wore on this breeze evolved into pretty high winds. Flapping tent fabric isn’t exactly conducive to a solid night’s sleep but mercifully, the wind did eventually die down a bit around 3 a.m. and I finally nodded off properly.

Next morning dawned… er, dull and windy but at least it was dry. After an unhurried breakfast (the noodles and tuna originally intended as dinner the night before, seeing you ask!) and a scout around the woods on foot, I packed up and headed back the way I’d come. The climb up from Loch Ossian was made all the harder due to a brisk headwind but, as on the outward route, the descent from the top made it all worthwhile. The sun even re-emerged at this point to top off a relatively short but rewarding venture into the wilderness.

ImageRuins of Corrour Old Lodge by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageRannoch Robin by Jimmy G, on Flickr
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
frogatthefarriers

BaM for June. 6/6

A very short BaM for this month, just off the Bishop Bennetts way. Start out late (after tea), didn't go far (12 miles), didn't cook anything, (except brew morning cuppa), back home for late breakfast. This was my last chance for a June BaM because I'll be busy/working this week before being away from my bike for 5 weeks until mid July.

Night photo:-
Image[

Morning photo:-

I did have a good nights sleep though: that is, until the morning chorus started, anyway.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Can't believe you chose that shonky looking hammock setup over the top quality den next door :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:02 pm Can't believe you chose that shonky looking hammock setup over the top quality den next door :wink: .
If I’d known it was there maybe I’d have brought stuff to sleep on the ground. The den is built up against the tree I had hung my hammock from the last time I was here (BaM Nov 2015). Anyway, I’d have had to re-model it because it's too small inside to lie down.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Probably a bit overloaded for a road trip. But got 3L of honey water with apple cider vinegar (with the mother... to add a bit of flavour) but a down jacket around it to hold together and keep cool.

Just taken the top sheet of the Trekkertent and 2 poles with pegs but also got a 600g quilt with a mat. Lets hope it all works out well. All i need to do is get to Stone (or just past). Have a bivy there or earlier and then wake up to ride the 50 or so miles to Derby for the train thats booked for 1800ish. Shirley it can't be that hard...

redefined_cycles

I do hope the peanut butter sarnies survive as their really fighting against the rear pack strap to cut themselves free...
redefined_cycles

6 of 6 BAMs done. Came without a bivy so the morning dew seems to have covered the quilt :sad:

last night the first field had some teenage cows try intimidate me but i fought em off quietly. Then a dog starts barking about 1000m away and then they're mums come to ask me 'what's the problem'. So i quickly waved my goodbyes...

About a mile down and an open double gate with a tiny patch saying 'sleep here in this tussocky ground'. So i did :smile: Didn't bring a hat (nor an actual bivy bag) so improvised with a rolled up jacket for a pillow and it's hat for head-duty. Some pics in reverse.

[Edit after sitting up: oh, what a nice view it is afterall]

Couple of random birds flying past every so often. This looks like q geese but its black and too slim. Still flies like one.

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Headed out last night without a plan and just followed my nose to a newish singletrack loop that heads down into a lovely little wooded valley and back out.

I’d previously thought it might make a nice bivy spot but it turns out that with the vegetation grown up for summer it’s not easy to get off the track and a dog barking near by put me off, so I headed on.

I knew another good spot close by but as I got near I saw the dog, then its owner, on a quad bike marked “WILDLIFE RANGER” in big fluorescent letters. That put me off spot number two. No worries, I was now on a big wide track I knew well, so I just kept going.

After a while, I popped out of the woods to catch the last of the light and sink a beer while watching bats flit about me.

Moving on in proper darkness, I checked out a couple more possible spots but was put off this time by a profusion of PRIVATE KEEP OUT and NO BIKES signs. I know when I’m not welcome.

By now I’d gone further than I’d planned and was keen to get my head down, knowing I’d be awake with the light at 4.30.

I headed for the top of the next hill and, after faffing about for a while trying to find a place to hang my hammock, I gave up and just lay down next to the bridleway. It’s a spot I used once before years ago and, apart from the possibility of being disturbed by dawn dog walkers, it’s a cracking place to spend the night.

I was up early to a misty morning and headed off to find a comfy spot for breakfast.

I stopped by this memorial and found myself unexpectedly moved at the thought of those young men whose lives were cut tragically short a century ago.

I took the long way home via some lovely singletrack on Pitch, Holmbury and Leith hills, made all the better by the Stooge’s new dropper post. The rhododendrons are looking magnificent right now - both in the woods and in gardens along the way - and I was feeling at peace with the world.

Unfortunately my serene mood was not to last. On the final stretch home I met a woman walking three dogs. We exchanged a hello and I did my usual thing of saying a friendly hello to the dogs too. This time it didn’t have the desired effect and one of them went from barking to hanging from my forearm by it’s teeth. Marvellous. At least it’s owner looked properly shocked and apologetic.

Anyway, that’s 6/6 for 2021. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

You had a lot of spot knock-backs there Charlie, compliments on your dogged (*) persistence.

(*) 'dog'gedness is a bit insensitive of me after the last paragraph

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:58 pm (*) 'dog'gedness is a bit insensitive of me after the last paragraph
You don't say....
Verena

Post by Verena »

That sounds very eventful, how's the arm??
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Lolz, I thrive on insensitivity me. 🤪

The arm’s fine - thanks for asking. Just a small puncture wound and a bruise.

It was an unusually frustrating bivy hunt.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Just back from another June BAM.

Change of plan, had intended to go for a much longer ride, but after the hot day we've been having I felt a bit sluggish, so I decided to go for a shorter ride to another place I have been meaning to bivvy at for some time - and I'm so glad I did, it was the perfect night for it, and I timed it just nicely to catch the best of the sunset and fading light.

ImageIMG_20210613_212525 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Now then, this really is a very very special place, one that even very few locals know, and I'd like to keep it that way, so on here is the only place I'm posting these pictures, and I'm not going to tell you where it is either...

As you can see, not a massively well used bridleway. I've only ever known this as a mud and rock fest when I've walked it, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that quite a bit of it was perfectly rideable at the moment, so less taking my bike for a walk than I thought.
ImageIMG_20210613_220200 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Sunset, moon and hawthorn blossom - nice combo
ImageIMG_20210613_221248 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Just a nice tree really
ImageIMG_20210613_221409 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Spot the sheep
ImageIMG_20210613_222441 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

And then I reached the top. No words or photos can capture how beautiful that was. It literally took my breath away and nearly made me cry.
ImageIMG_20210613_223049 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

The view from my bed
ImageIMG_20210613_224430 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

And Good Morning!
ImageIMG_20210614_045647 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

No brew o brekkie to report on, just water, as only a short hop home. Left no trace except maybe a bit of skid mark. No, not that kind, just where I spent the night repeatedly sliding down the hill through the young bracken then crawled back up again :lol:

I just loved that hay meadow on the way back
ImageIMG_20210614_053249 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Boab

Post by Boab »

With half an eye on trying my new quilt, and the other on not being able to claim the Moors 100 as a BAM, I headed out last night. After two days spent in the garden, I was seriously swithering about going at all, but given the forecast for the rest of the week and family stuff, it was last night or next week. After finishing the weeding, making dinner for myself and the kids, then packing the bike, I just needed a shower before heading out. So obviously my daughter was in the bathroom, so by the time I'd cleaned all the garden grime off, it was getting on for half ten by the time I was getting out the door. One of these days I'll make it out in daylight and ride into the sunset...

I'd decided I'd like to camp next to the River Cam, but the footpath was ridiculously overgrown, with out much in the way of flat areas. A pump was running somewhere close by too, with the sound of water smacking into a drain at high velocity. I decided to backtrack and find somewhere quieter. After setting up the tent, I stood looking up at the universe for a bit, as the visibility was excellent, a shooting star flashed overhead.

The main reason for getting out, was to try the new quilt, and what a lovely thing it is. I'm going to have to change up the base layer I wear with it though, as my current one is too thick.

I've been having issues with condensation in the tent, more on that later, so I tied one of the doors all the way back. This meant I got woken up naturally bu the sun peeking over the top of the reeds and grass.

Not too shabby a spot, although I could've had the tent slight closer to the lode, as my feet were on a downslope.

It was eventually time to get up and head off, so first stop was going to be Wicken Fen NT, but the facilities were locked, so we just continued deeper into the fens.

I was in no hurry, as it was a lovely morning,

Time waits for no man though and I had to get back for work. So while it was lovely taking in all the different surfaces, it was a bit more of the head down, arse up and give it a bit of welly, than the gentle cruising..

I made it home with 3 minutes to spare before my first meeting of the morning. Slightly disappointed that I didn't find a bit more time to get another 10 km in , but just really glad that I didn't cave in to the anxiety, or the Devil on my shoulder telling me to go out another night. I've got so much todo at work today, but I just can't be arsed, I'd much rather still be out there cruising along... :sighs:

2021 BaM: 6/6
Streak: 18
Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/5467171068

I've cycled passed this building a few times, and every time I do, I wonder what it would be like to kip in. Satellite view on Goolge maps makes it look like you could cycle straight up to it, but it certainly looked marooned in amongst the barley this morning.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Loving that last photo and I can see why the building acts like a magnet.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Once again, the fens are much underrated. I guess you'd rather keep it that way KT :smile: . As Colin says you're quite a dab hand with the camera :-bd .

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A late, late start, on a gloriously sunny and warm evening. The football seems to have encouraged folk to stay home and watch the TV, which left the roads nice and quiet for the first few km.

Then it was up through the woods and over the moor. A couple of NP Rangers were tending to yet another burnt out Range Rover which had strayed off the BOAT and got irretrievably stuck.

The sun was blazing its last reds and oranges beyond the crags, yet leaving enough energy in the sky to cover the world with a pastel sheet of light. I rattled downhill, the Gradventourer skittering over the loose stones and dust in a rather alarming manner. Last time along here I'd brought the MTB, requiring far less finesse when it came to line choice.

I arrived at my camp for the night. The meadow full, both with buttercups and midges. I welcomed the former and donned protection against the latter - I was glad of the breeze that picked up in the night and whisked them away! Note to self: pack the Smidge next time!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQG8fdPBbZh/

There was still enough light to see by, so having shoved my legs into my bag to keep them away from the winged teeth, I sorted out a brew and leaned back against the wall behind me. An owl hooted, song thrushes serenaded each other, and as the light faded, bats flitted back and forth. My mind slowed, calmed, was at peace. No worries to deal with, other than drinking my tea through a midge net or not? And then sleep.

A very bucolic spot in which to wake. The sun rose over the ridge behind me, turning the meadow into a glorious carpet of radiant yellow, full Mint Sauce The stove whooshed quietly as garrulous cuckoos echoed across the valley. Tea and buns for breakfast were taken in bed. Sumer-weight bivvy kit meant less to pack, and I was soon ready to head for home.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQG8pIVhRsW/

The trails are currently so dry that the dust makes them slippier than when they've had a little rain, and it wasn’t without a few moments of lost traction that I rose up the hill to greet the rising sun. Once at the top, I enjoyed an extended morning commute. Sheffield revealed itself, nestled snugly in its basin below the moorland, but I veered away, back into the woods for an extra loop or two before joining the main road back into town.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQG8wWshqXF/

2021 BAM 6/12
2021 total bivvies 6
Current streak (months) 31