Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:05 am Remember Shaf, BAM is a bit like the Pirates Code..

https://youtu.be/k9ojK9Q_ARE
Heehee. I kinda thought that but just didn't wanna miss owt :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

benp1 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:29 pm
Had a lovely view, there's nothing to the South so had a lovely view of the lights on the coast and over to the IoW. Funny how different things seem at night. Sadly couldn't see many stars as the moon was so bright, didn't even need a head torch.

. This was my view in the morning. Not a great shot, the sea is in the background and the IoW and Portsmouth over to the right

Chalton Down 2.jpg
Yes, always funny how even very familiar places and very near to home feel very different at night.

Very nice view, and I think it's a great shot :-bd
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

4/4 for Fraser and I for 2021. Spent another night in the back garden. Hopefully it will be the last.
BaM 2021
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice evening out there Ben. I'm picturing the scene in my head where you explain you're going to kip out and others are surprised. Here's that new chap from the city come down here with his strange metropolitan ways :grin: . Because it feels 'normal' to us to just keel over somewhere, I sometimes surprise myself that I'm surprised at others expressing surprise, if you see what I mean :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Just back from another April bivvy (well I was when I started writing this just before 7...)- the weather is just too nice not to....

No photos I'm afraid, as I forgot to take my phone :o - actually quite nice not to have that distraction.

It was basically this, minus the tent, as there was just no need whatsoever https://www.instagram.com/p/CGMn7Lzl7Ht ... _copy_link

I set off just after nine, straight past the couple of signs saying "private drive" and "no camping", which I don't even notice normally on my walks and runs there :oops: .

It's a very very lovely spot, about a mile from my house, down by the river, where it makes a lovely bend, with a pebble beach below, and a bit of shelter from a leaning over willow tree. In a big, also very lovely, field which has some big old gnarly trees in it, and usually some sheep, occasionally used by (dog) walkers, but just a bit too far to walk for most, so I was not worried about any night time visitors.... It's quite secluded and peaceful there, though at night it was noticeable just how close to "urban" it is, with streetlights just across the river on one side, and the headlights of traffic on the bypass on the other.... First time I spent the night there, have been wanting to for ages.

It was just a perfect night, first time since my September bivvies that it didn't feel like a cold, generally unpleasant night: Perfectly still, perfectly clear, full moon, completely dry, and the air felt soft and warm - ahhh :cool:

Once I was off the track and in the field, I switched off my lights, didn't need them at all. Found my spot and straight into the bivvy bag, cosy and warm :smile: . Watched the moon for a bit, then drifted off to a good sleep, just occasionally waking to roll over and peep at the moon making its way across the sky.

Got up for a pee at about 4, then sleep was difficult, it was a bit cooler then, and I was back to my usual
https://youtu.be/hno2orZUOBo :grin:

Must have dropped off eventually, because suddenly it was 5, daylight at last, birds in full swing and time for a brew.

I moved a bit to sit propped up against the willow tree and watched the moon set for a bit, then packed up about six. Went a little the other way and explore a bit of river bank I hadn't been too. Stopped for another ten minutes to watch the sunrise (always surprises me how long after daylight sunrise happens...), then home for breakfast.
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:20 am Nice evening out there Ben. I'm picturing the scene in my head where you explain you're going to kip out and others are surprised. Here's that new chap from the city come down here with his strange metropolitan ways :grin: . Because it feels 'normal' to us to just keel over somewhere, I sometimes surprise myself that I'm surprised at others expressing surprise, if you see what I mean :wink: .
The thought occurred to me last night, what if all this got somehow very popular, and you end up traipsing around in the dark in quiet deserted places looking for bivvy spots, and you stumble across people doing the exact same thing? "Oops, sorry buddy" "Sorry sir, this ditch is taken" etc. etc.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Verena - sounds idyllic. I've taken small binoculars on a couple of bivvy trips like that, where I'm in absolutely no rush.

The game is definitely getting more popular though. This past 12 months has both mandated and allowed me the option of choosing some bivvy spots much closer to home. I know that they'll be much busier again now. In addition to a lot of locals, I guess this is exactly the sort of area folk come to for bivvies so competition for the best spots is keen.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:35 am "Sorry sir, this ditch is taken" etc. etc.
:grin:

Tripadvisor reports on Brecknock ditches.... ditch booking in advance....

Blimey don't joke though....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Reg - totally get what you mean, it feels normal to just find a bivi spot, but for most folks it's definitely weird. Including my family :lol:

Thankfully the actual number of people looking for a bivi spot is limited, but depending on area you might have a bit of competition. I've had a couple of places in Wales and the Lakes where there have tents pitched where I wanted to stay. Typically by a tarn with a nice view. Sometimes it's OK if you're far enough away from each other but I'd rather be selfish and have the whole place to myself!

I've noticed quite a few bikepackers around here. Compared with basically none where I was before. Mixture of MTB, gravel bikes and even a few roadies. Some might be doing the SDW or the KAW as they pass close by
Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 am Verena - sounds idyllic. I've taken small binoculars on a couple of bivvy trips like that, where I'm in absolutely no rush.

The game is definitely getting more popular though. This past 12 months has both mandated and allowed me the option of choosing some bivvy spots much closer to home. I know that they'll be much busier again now. In addition to a lot of locals, I guess this is exactly the sort of area folk come to for bivvies so competition for the best spots is keen.
Well, I'm going to go quiet about it, except on here....
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

4 /4 for this year
It's taken me a week to get round to this , I thought I had 3 day's off in the middle of last week so a good time to get reacquainted with Wales . Somewhat inspired by Verena's BAM report where she went through an area I have been meaning to go back to, it was 25 years or so since the last visit .
Drove to Talybont on Usk with a sense of nervous anticipation and parked at the village hall with its bike hub showers and toilets and set off about 4 o'clock along the towpath towards Brecon with the great feeling of let's see where we get to .
ImageP1010142 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I love this watery crossroads spent lots time playing in the river here when I was young .
Got to Brecon and wished for a bit of local knowledge went through town and found the lane that goes up towards the visitor centre got a good view of Pen y fan .
ImageP1010146 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had a recollection that there was a tap at the centre and as there was very little water in the streams I thought it would be a good idea to top up so picked up the bridleway across the common and after a bit of searching found it hidden away and filled up the bottles . More nice dry offroad to a junction with a main road and there it was the perfect spot just opposite !
ImageIMG_20210420_174041543_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A very long decent on a nice lane to Heol Senni followed by an equally long climb back up took me to the start of the long awaited track up towards Fan-Gihirfch and as Verena said it's a gravel motorway now . It was becoming apparent that there really wasn't much water to collect carried on up to the col and had a good look back and forwards at the view I was definitely the only one up here . A short distance on there was a gentle trickle of water so a good time to try the new water to go filter bottle I got down into the cutting filled up climbed out and practically walked straight into a lady on the track I jumped out of my skin which broke the ice she had been to the peak and had come down on a faint track I didn't see . We had a good natter and she wasn't envious of my plan to sleep out but said that looks like a pretty good place to camp pointing a few feet off the track so we said goodbye and I had look and got set up ate and retired to bed at 9 o'clock . Though it looked pretty flat I did find myself heading downhill a couple of times during the night :o
ImageIMG_20210420_200315943 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I was up at 6 after the early night packed up had a brew and some malt loaf and with everything on as having stopped at the highest point of the track I had a very long decent to enjoy and it was quite cold , I have to say the section from here to the point where I joined Sarn Helen had some amazingly good looking bivvy spots on the last bit I was lucky enough to follow a red kite flying just above the track beautiful . I followed Sarn Helen out to the road at which point I went a different way to Verena if you want to see pictures have a look at her post as hers were better than mine and the sun was shining .
Took the track around Carnau Gwynion through the old workings to the car park for the caves and waterfalls complete with PC. I had a good chat to a guy who was going cave diving sounded great well bits of it did the drier bits . Time for breakfast a brew , some porridge and a good look at the map decision made over the top on the little lane to the Garwnant visitor centre in the middle of nowhere this gate is on the roadside into a field .
ImageP1010160 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I could see a highly visible cyclist close to the top of climb ahead who I wasn't expecting to see again but at the top him and a mate where recovering by the side of the road I stopped and said hello and was treated to the biggest load of bullshit I have heard for ages the visible one seemed to have ridden up both sides simultaneously etc etc etc :???: While at the visitor centre which was closed as I knew I got a phone call that changed my plans totally I now had to be back home today bad luck really I hadn't had a signal for ages , oh well bit of retail therapy instead tried to complete the purchase from Chew of his bivvy bag but a spelling mistake scuppered that . Taff trail back to Pontsticill seemed to be the best way back which was familiar though I had forgotten how steep the lane to the farm was from the dam . This bit had changed a lot since the last visit followed the Taff trail markers along a good path past some interesting seats
ImageP1010165 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
on to a very high very locked gate with a kissing gate next to it that was to small to get a bike through so up and over without dignity it was
ImageP1010166 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Down under a very impressive railway viaduct into Cefn Coed to pick up the old railway path up the valley, I was fortunate enough to have a very educational chat about the local history with a lovely old chap . Another big climb up to the home of the Daleks and Cybermen at Trefil .
ImageP1010177 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I saw one these instead
ImageP1010184 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
then back to the van and reality on the Brinore Tramway hard to believe that this is the line of the Tramway
ImageP1010185 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tidy that Kev, very tidy. Love the gate. We seem to have forgotten how to make the effort to design things like that. Cave diving - yeah, best idea is stick to the dry bits of cave diving, it's the wet bits that are 'interesting' :wink: . Martyn Farr makes it sound easy but nightmarish at the same time. That whole area is fascinating isn't it - loads of old tramways, quarries, daleks, caves etc; I'd've stopped too often to get any biking done!

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Yes Reg it is after my long local history lesson it got even more interesting . My plan was pretty much to spend more time looking around than riding armed with the bike Packers best friend the Map-nav that was until my suppliers let me down by delivering a load of things two days early not the usual builders excuse .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have you got a GR please for that piccie of Brinore Tramway? Really need to get over there sometime.

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

It's somewhere between SO 094150 and SO 092156
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks..

Verena

Post by Verena »

Raggedstone wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:59 pm
ImageP1010142 by Kevin Hawker,

ImageP1010146 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210420_200315943 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Time for breakfast a brew , some porridge and a good look at the map decision made over the top on the little lane to the Garwnant visitor centre in the middle of nowhere this gate is on the roadside into a field .
Computer just ate my first reply :sad: , so here's the shortened version: Great write up, great trip, so fun to read about somewhere you actually know as I've just realized.
Better photo than I've ever managed to take of that viaduct, nice one.
That post must be the most bikes leaned against for photo shoot ever :lol:
Love that big sky bivvy spot on Fan Gihyrich!
Did you stop at the distillery in Penderyn?
Would be interesting to hear how exactly you connected Garwnant on to Trefil?
psling

Post by psling »

Kevin mentions Cefn coed so my guess would be that he followed the road south to Cefn coed then picked up the Taff Trail to Pontsticill Reservoir and the bridleway on the east side of the reservoir up to the quarries :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:35 pm
Kevin mentions Cefn coed so my guess would be that he followed the road south to Cefn coed then picked up the Taff Trail to Pontsticill Reservoir and the bridleway on the east side of the reservoir up to the quarries :cool:
Last time I was at Pontsticill was going north with Mr Morgan. We were having a fantastic time. Went up on the train from Cardiff. I vaguely remember a fairly serious and unfortunate diversion into Y Buwch Coch which we just happened to be passing at lunchtime. Curiously this didn't stop us managing to get over the hill to TYB in time for a fairly serious and unfortunate diversion into The Star just as it opened in the evening. It's really nice when these sort of timings happen to, er, line up during a ride.

On the way back next day we had chips sat on the kerb in the middle of Merthyr which was quite an experience.

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Verena,

Peter was somewhere near from Garwnant I went along the road then as the road goes left over the dam to the main road I went straight on up the horribly steep lane to the farm, then straight on through two gates to follow track into the forest in the past there were two signs one saying walkers only the other bikes both completely impassable so I followed forest track to Penmoelallt farm which is back on the bridleway then down the access road to the main road . Things have changed the Taff trail was clearly signed and looked like a good single-track which it was obviously supposed to be a walking path as evidenced by the locked gate at the end and the path emerges at the same place as the previously mentioned access road . There has been a major upgrade to the main road . I used to go straight across down a little lane through a very big cemetery and under the viaduct into Cefn Coed left up the main Street and right to the prominent church and onto the old railway line to Pontsticill . Now when the main road is reached if you go left a little way you can cross the road and pick up a bridleway running parallel to the road that puts you on the little lane past the cemetery .
Verena

Post by Verena »

Ahhh, I see, got it now, cheers :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Nothing like leaving it till the last minute again... After spending most of yesterday trying to do three things at once, and failing, the bike was finally fixed, and loaded up for gear. I'd planned to head for a field edge I'd walked passed a few weeks back, it's not on a right of way, but I've seen people wandering along it with their dogs and what not, presumably to get from one byway/footpath to another byway, without having to go on the main road. It looked secluded and set back enough that I wouldn't be spotted.

I don't know what goes on in my brain, but the close to departure, the more anxious I got. It's all to do with being discovered and told off I think, latent trauma from childhood no doubt. Anyhoo, I couldn't think of anywhere else to go, so I finally headed out at 22:30. The spot is less than 5km from the house, so it didn't take long to get there. It did feel quite exposed as I was setting up, so I tried to minimise torch usage etc. Soon enough I was in my bag, drinking my beer and reading a book on my kindle.

I was surprised at how well I slept, as the ground was a sub standard show of chopped off hedgerow saplings, brambles and clumps of earth. There's no way the tent groundsheet, or the Exped mat would've survived the night without the Tyvek underneath. The whole point of this location was to see the sunrise, so I was up and out at 05:30, or there abouts, just as the sun broached the horizon, it was magic with all the mist and fog.

It was too flipping cold, and early, to think of heading off, so I jumped back into my bag and read more of my book. The inside of the tent was loaded with condensation, and a breeze had started blowing, so I kept getting dripped on. Enough was enough, so I got up, packed everything away and cycled home. I'm currently sat on a sofa having a coffee, when it's finished, I'm off out for another loop, without the bags.

2021 BaM: 4/4
Streak: 16
Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/5221176799
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
psling

Post by psling »

Stunning photo that K1100T :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye, lovely photo. It's always worth a night out for a morning like that.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:35 pm
I see Jack has an article in today's Grauniad with a trip from Swansea through Merthyr to Abergavenny. Enjoyed the article Jack, but ssshhhh about the area :wink: . I think it's still fairly infrequently visited as it's perceived as being industrial and 'uninteresting'.