Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kumquat

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Kumquat »

2/2 done.
Real last minute what do you mean there are only 28 days in February?
Turned out to be a really nice little ride on the Gr 347 outside of Josselin.
Found a spot sheltered by trees from wind and frost.
Very sunny and chilly ride home.
2021-02-28_07-21-28.jpg
2021-02-28_07-21-28.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Grubby little urchin.
Verena

Post by Verena »

My March garden BAM has been a kind of deconstructed St David's day event: on Monday 1st, actual St David's day, I ate Welsh cakes and made Glamorgan sausages, but ducked out of the bivvy as it was just uninvitingly cold and foggy out.
On Thursday I drank my bottle of "Gower Power" which I had bought specially for the occasion, but again no bivvy, as it was still unviting somehow (I think after last Saturday's first warm sunny day I must subconsciously have decided that winter is over and it should be warm now, full stop).
Friday however the sun finally showed itself, which just made everything seem cheery again, so I decided that today was the day, especially with wet weather forecast next week.
After work, I went for a tiny spin up the hill behind my house, just in time to catch the sunset and some golden light over the Beacons

ImageIMG_20210305_175110 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

After a "normal" family evening, I settled down in the garden, in my new hammock which I have just got as a cheapy second one for general garden use (£9.98 or something - and I like the colour :grin: ). Being cold I think is a state of mind... it has been way colder, but I was not in the mood for feeling cold, so supplemented my 4 season sleeping bag with anything fleecy I could grab, to put underneath and on top of me - it worked.

I know there is talk on here about how to achieve a flatter lie in a hammock - personally I think the scrunched up sleeping position suits me.... oh, and the garden hammock frame thing - does that disqualify me for a BAM?? Would have been tricky to carry on a bike :lol: . To be honest, it was just sheer convenience/ laziness on my part. And it tipped me out once, as I first got into it, having carefully sorted out all my layers :lol: .

First light and a sunrise is always a joy
ImageIMG_20210306_060957 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

A first breakfast of porridge and coffee was lovely (using the kettle in the garage - another reason to get disqualified???)
ImageIMG_20210306_063311 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I then headed out on the bike to one of my favourite spots by the river, just to sit there and have another coffee. Cold but crisp and sunny.
ImageIMG_20210306_072942 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210306_073115 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I then headed into town, in time for the shops to open. Bought some sausages and bacon for a Saturday full cooked breakfast treat. Just had time to finish that, before heading off out again on the bike to the common, where I met a friend for a run, then back home - thereby both of us complying with covid rules.

A grand day.

3/12
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed that :-bd . Who (amongst the Normals) would think so much pleasure could be extracted from such seemingly mundane acts as making a bed, kipping in it, having a little ride round, sitting looking at a few things, and enjoying a spot of breakfast? :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

March done last night. Think it got down to about 1C but I was using my winter bag so properly toasty

3/3 so far. Pleased with that because I failed in Jan and Feb last time I tried. So far have only been using a bivy bag, haven't put a tarp up

Last one on my current home turf as well. April will be post house move so will be looking for new spots
Last edited by benp1 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 am Enjoyed that :-bd . Who (amongst the Normals) would think so much pleasure could be extracted from such seemingly mundane acts as making a bed, kipping in it, having a little ride round, sitting looking at a few things, and enjoying a spot of breakfast? :-bd
Exactly...the world would surely be a better place if more people did find pleasure in such things.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Was very windy here today and I like kipping to the sound of it so packed everything in the Brompton bag ready for a spin. The shelter-roulette-wheel was twirled and the ball landed randomly on..... 'tent'. Ace! Not had the Microlight out for ages so chucked that in with glee.

Annoyingly the wind has died away but a quick toddle round town and it's up with the tent. It's incredibly fast to pitch - pole into sleeve, four pegs, done.

If I don't get a proper BaM in April... well, words will be said.

3/3, 3/3, 62/62 (BaMs finally matching my age)

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:43 pm Was very windy here today and I like kipping to the sound of it so packed everything in the Brompton bag ready for a spin. The shelter-roulette-wheel was twirled and the ball landed randomly on..... 'tent'. Ace! Not had the Microlight out for ages so chucked that in with glee.

Annoyingly the wind has died away but a quick toddle round town and it's up with the tent. It's incredibly fast to pitch - pole into sleeve, four pegs, done.

If I don't get a proper BaM in April... well, words will be said.

3/3, 3/3, 62/62 (BaMs finally matching my age)

Great stuff - enjoy!!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The talk previously about dead ends and cakes got me thinking. I've ridden the local Nine Roads to Nowhere route before, but most of them would only be roads to nowhere if in a car, or indeed on a road bike which the route was devised for. Most of them do continue, albeit as bridleways, I should also say that the catchy name is a bit misleading as all of them lead somewhere and 8 of them lead to somewhere quite interesting-ish.

I didn't plan an exact route but did have a look at the map to get their relative locations in my head and decide on the order. I also purchased the necessary cakes beforehand, making them myself was a step to far. The weather forecast looked good, other than the 40 to 60mph headwind I'd have for the first 20 miles but I could try and keep to the sheltered bits, so bike packed and off we go.

Road 1 is St Georges Lane which leads up to St Georges Down, at the end of the tarmac is the golf club. The road continues on as a byway but there is a seasonal closure. I rode up the byway from Arreton stopping for the first cake at some handily placed giant concrete lego bricks.

Any guesses as who chose the cakes? :grin:

From here is was down the road from somewhere to Newport, where cleverly cutting down a dead end road (for cars) and between the bollards that stop it being used as a rat-run enabled me to get across town without having to go through it. Up the Tennyson trail and back into the countryside. I spotted a sheep up ahead upside down in the wheel rut with its legs in the air. I thought I'd just be rolling it over and it would be on its way but I was too late, as was the sheep, as it was deceased, and for good measure the birds had pecked it's eyes out. I was passing the nearest farm on my way anyway so stopped to let them know. The said it the sheep weren't theirs but they'd give the shepherd a call. I joined the next road to nowhere part way up so that left the steepest bit to go.

Rowridge Mast, a bit windy (Ralph blew of the bars to start with) but I bet they get good TV reception.

This is actually how they receive the tv pictures and then beam then on again with this

From the forecast I knew the next section would be hard as I'd be riding into the wind all the way, off road would follow the ridge and be exposed so I opted for the road. After a long slow slog of 11 miles directly into the wind we arrived at the Needles Battery. The most westerly point of the Island it always seems to be a headwind on the way here, it's just a matter of how strong :roll:

Sat in the sun and sheltered from the wind by the gun emplacement it was actually quite nice, I could of sat there for hours but there was a long way to go yet as this was only road 3/9. I would have the wind mainly on my back from now on so that should speed things up. I rode back along the Tennyson trail to stay off road as much as possible. In the forest a shower quickly became a hail storm, luckily someone had planted a bike rack which made getting my waterproof out of the seat pack easy.

The long slog up the strava segment aptly named The Never Ending Fireroad, which is acutaly less than a mile long but the longest here so I guess whoever names it has never been to Scotland. Down past the IOW Mountain Bike Centre and passing a weird 3 wheeled tractor thing that was applying liquid cow muck to the grass and the dropping down the road at Shorewell Shute so I could ride up the concrete access road to the next Nowhere.

The Chillerton Radio mast. Amongst the security measures is strobe lighting :???: Presumably to keep out epileptics, it won't discourage the ravers?

From here I could have gone up past the Hoy Monument (Crimean War not the Scottish track cyclist) but I knew after the recent rain it would just be pushing uphill in the mud, so nipped round the road and went up the next Road to Nowhere which is tarmac. This one is a bit of an odd one out of the 9 as although when the tarmac ends there's a house it doesn't seem to fit with the others, added in to make up the 9? Eight Roads to Nowhere doesn't have the same ring to it.

The track does continue on as a bridleway so that made it easy for me to get to the next stop.

St Catherine's Lighthouse. This is the only one you ride down to the end of the road, all the others are up to start with.

It doesn't look very steep in the picture, and overall it isn't too bad, but as it runs through a landslip it's not a constant gradient and it's also not very good tarmac. Every so often a shift in the ground has created a 25% to 30% ramp, maybe only for 25m but enough to break the rhythm. Luckily I'd anticipated a lack of fitness and brought the bike with gears which helped.

Form here it was along Undercliff Drive, a bonus road to nowhere as it was cut in half by a landslip.

This use to be a main road but now there is a section of bridleway in the middle. More climbing up St Lawrence Shute and up through Week Farm heading or Stenbury Down. The farm is now a SSE yard so a bonus 70 plate Unimog :grin:

With the crane on the back that's probably somewhere between £170k and £200k? No wonder my electric bill is so high.

At the top of the climb a friendly walker held the gate open for me so no resting to get my breath back and straight along the ridge to the next Nowhere.

Another radio station mast. I now rode down the Road to Nowhere, which also happens to be the steepest tarmac road on the Island, due to the loose chippings, potholes and weird camber it's not much fun. On to Ventnor and a famous climb, well it's in volume 2 of the road climbs book, number 123 Down Lane. It's not to bad if you can swing out wide at the turns but an oncoming car meant I had to stick to my side of the road and go up the steep inside of a hairpin turn, luckily it was dry, in the wet even seated the wheel will spin. Along the ridge and we arrive at Nowhere number 8, the former RAF Ventnor

I thought it had only been bombed on one occasion but I could be wrong, maybe 'repeatedly bombed' means by more than one plane. The road carries on as a dirt track to a gravel car park

I then followed the ridge to the left and turned off down a bridleway. I had run up it recently so I knew it had deteriorated. I rode down it this time last year on the Spearfish and was blown away how fast I could go compared to the rigid singlespeed. The winter of heavy rain has new made it dangerous even at walking pace as I picked my way round boulders and bits of tree. Down the road to the Old Village, always a favuorite as I can make the 30 mph warning sign light up. I dropped down the seafront to head along the revetment to Sandown and was rewarded with tripple rainbow, well just the ends as the main bit was in the clouds. The end now in sight it was up to Culver which would be 9/9 :-bd

It looked nice over Bembridge and St Helens way

But looking a bit more ominous the way I'd be going. It chucked it down on the way to the bivi and by the time I arrived it was also dark. Got the tarp/tent up (which is it? When I did a test pitch in the garden and then put the inner in Jane said "That's a tent?" so with the inner I guess it is) and got in and cooked some dinner. I've not done any big rides for a while so the 65 miles 7400 feet had left me a touch tired so I was asleep by 9. It dropped to 5 degrees in the night, my bag has a comfort rating of 3 but I was still a bit chilly and I had changed into dry base layers and had my Ghost Whisperer on so I recon I need to remember to take a bag which is rated 4 or 5 degrees colder than the forecast in future.

Took these in the morning to see how it blends in, not that it matters in my Mum's garden (in my covid bubble so 100% legit) but with luck it might be in other woodlands soon. When I walked down towards the bottom of the garden to see what it looked like from a distance I found this

It's a hawthorn tree in a pot. As my dad passed away 8 years ago then unless Reg has been round with his guerrilla saplings then it's been waiting all that time to be planted out. Bit of a task with a toilet trowel so I went back in the afternoon and did it. Back at the tent there was one last thing to do

Surprise ceremony to present Ralph with his Four Season Legion badge :grin:

Then I only had to pack up and it was less than a mile home.

That's 3/12 this year for me, 12 in a row for Ralph :-bd

Edit

Oh, and in case anyone thinks I cheated

I did eat 9 Cadbury's Cake Bars, my bag before I left.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done to Ralph. He's hard that IOW teddy of yours...
RIP

Post by RIP »

That was brill! 9 dead ends. My whole life has been one dead end so 9 is good going!

Never seen those 'Crunchie' cakes before. Do they actually have proper Crunchie stuff in the middle? Weird. Still, Ralph's weird too (or 'wired' possibly? certainly after all that sugar :smile: ) so I guess he's happy. He's certainly hanging on very tight to his one!

Ralph also looks very snug indeed in that gas tank. Obviously he's got a hunk of cake to keep him busy but what else is in there? Presumably it's like a kids bike trailer thing with a blanket and various toys and whatnot so he doesn't get bored? Not that he could possibly get bored on one of your rides :smile: .

One cake per dead end. Is that for BOTH of you?? ie 18 total? Ralph'll be getting diabetes if you're not careful. Especially since he gets bugger all exercise as he seems to get carried everywhere!

Upside down sheep - did it snuff it because it fell over? Or sort of popped off and then rolled over? Quite a mystery. Mebbe Bob can enlighten us about ovine death methods? Presumably not a suicide job?

Like the camo tarp - fits in well with those leaves dunnit? Just don't bivvy on any lawns!

Nice one planting the tree. Toilet trowel indeed :wink: . Maybe what happened was the empty pot was already there and the sapling grew up through it by some amaaaaazing coincidence :grin: .

Anyroad, enjoyed that as usual!

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:12 pm Upside down sheep - did it snuff it because it fell over? Or sort of popped off and then rolled over? Quite a mystery. Mebbe Bob can enlighten us about ovine death methods? Presumably not a suicide job?
I can indeed :-bd

It's known as "being rigged" or "rigged up". Nothing to do with a well known word referring to bikes but rigg comes from old Norse meaning ridge or back. They lie down for a snooze, get slightly dizzy in the sun and roll over onto their back. If they roll into a dip they then can't rock themselves back onto their side or feet. It's a bit worse at this time of year when they are pregnant as they are a bit "broader" and when on their back the lamb falls towards the spine making things worse.

They die from a mixture of asphyxiation and starvation/thirst. Not a nice way to go.

If you come across one that's alive, gently turn it over onto its front and let it recover whilst it's lying down. It will try and struggle and get away but keep hold of it. After a while it will be strong enough to stand but it will be unsteady so will need more holding until it's got it's balance back and it can walk away.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I've learned something there, thank you Bob. Poor old thing. Not a suicide then.

'Rigg' - owt to do with Riggwelter beer too? :wink: I must say that after a few of those I feel all dizzy and roll over on my back, waiting for some kind soul to put me right way up again. Nobody ever does though and I have to just lie there in the mud until it wears off.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:28 pm Well I've learned something there, thank you Bob. Poor old thing. Not a suicide then.

'Rigg' - owt to do with Riggwelter beer? I must say that after a few of those I feel all dizzy and roll over on my back, waiting for some kind soul to put me right way up again. Nobody ever does though and I have to just lie there in the mud until it wears off.
Yep, another term for it. Lots of similar terms across the northern sheep rearing areas.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Sheep definitely aren't the sharpest animals, that would be hilarious if it wasn't actually quite sad :cry:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:41 pm Sheep definitely aren't the sharpest animals, that would be hilarious if it wasn't actually quite sad :cry:
There are cases where sheep have crossed cattle grids by lying down at one side then simply rolling across it!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Sheep do seem to spend their time trying to die. If they didn't keep going to the toilet on the track they wouldn't slip over and end up on their back in a wheel rut.

What with turning them over, removing the ones trapped in fences, getting the ones out that are stuck in brambles like velcro and putting lambs that have escaped onto the track back into the field I reckon I save on average 1 or 2 a year. Doesn't sound much but they soon add up.

As for the sapling, I did wonder if it could have self seeded but it was in the centre of the pot and there are no Hawthorns nearby. There was also a 10 inch tall Holly in the pot, that must have self seeded, do they do that from the berries? I really should know these things.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I do vaguely remember from a school trip to Epping Forest that there are male and female holly trees
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I could Google it but where's the fun in that. I think that's the reason only some have berries?

I like Holly trees, I don't see many about, apart from the end of mum's garden where they were encouraged to grow by my father, a thick group of Holly's will discourage even a motivated trespassser, especially backed up with a hawthorn :grin:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Great write up Sean and Ralph, and more motivation to find more dead ends and eat more cake :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Had planned to ride a 200ish miler. Got the bivy onboard as I'd most likely need a stop. The ride being in protest at many things.

Ended up doing 77 miles but had the full authentic feel anyway... Then another 8 miles to get back home. Bike was slightly heavy. Had myself my posh (instant noodles made in Malaysia as suggested on here) noodles before heading home. Had to make sure I didn't burn my tires.

In stats it goes like this...

Got irritated once at a scooter with 2 on it. They said in a threatening way, 'get off the road'... I replied with a derogatory remark (which I shouldn't have but it just came out). The chap on the back seat, must've been about 15 kept looking back for a while in the distance. Must've been sizing me up to see if it's worth it. Thankfully I never saw em again.

Saw a lovely tree that I'll guess at being about a couple hundred years old. Maybe more.

Almost completed my 74 miler Strava Segment I've made but in the final 2 miles I went off course slightly and it ditched the data. Must pull the end point back a tad.

4 standard CoCodamols consumed which were about 6 or 5 hours apart. First 2 were cos my wrist were hurting to force me to turn round. Last 2 were cos the back of foot/bottom of calf was sore. Provably the cheap bearings in the pedals. Must swap em over and pull the cleats back by a couple mm.

Got water (thankfully only water) thrown on me once. I tried to give chase but it was a down and an up. It helped cool me down and I'd learnt my lesson from before and what came out was polite. Thankfully the 'chase' didn't get me catching up to em as young lads these days are quite 'nuts'.

Carr Lane ridden walked up which I've never done before. Must've been the bivy gear or just the lockdown belly. It's Britains oldest 'Hill Climb (championships) ' apparently. It always looks easy but grinding up it is so hard. Reminds me of that legendary road in Scotland which looks uphill but is actually downhill. Carr Lane looks rather flat but it's a proper hill...

Anyway... the pics below and then the back yard bivy (with what I have from the saddlepack) to complete it and make my 3 of 3 complete...

Oh... and one puncture but it was close to home. It sealed but needed 2 stops to repump and a 3rd lot of pumping on the stand at home. Tubeless road tires in 25c don't like sealant (at that pressure).

The approach to Hardwick Castle

Start point, a local masjid

Only 35 miles left to go on this here special segment. Surely, how hard can it be...

The view from Carr Lane

The star pic: at top of Carr Lane once the climb/walk is all over

[Edit at 0514: March BivyBAM done...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Report here

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18972&p=254147#p254145

That's 3/3, 52 consecutive.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Been having a garden office constructed. The building itself is finished, bar a few cosmetic touches, which are hopefully being completed this weekend. The power has been connected so it's got lights and heating, but it's currently completely empty. Before I go and dig the tent out, am I OK under emergency BAM rules to sleep in it...? I'm considering it as a luxury bothy for this purpose. It's probably my only chance, as I'll be moving my office out of the homebrew shed and into it next week.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Lighting and heating? That's more like a hotel than a bothy :shock: :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

benp1 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:02 pm Lighting and heating? That's more like a hotel than a bothy :shock: :grin:
Luxury being the operative word. I was even considering putting one of the camp beds in for that extra touch...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm sleeping on my terrace tonight. Cant be arsed with the hammock so Ive rigged a tarp among my patio furniture, set a massive fire in my fire bowl and am waiting for the flames to die down to cook a steak on the coals. This must be the last one. I'm over it. Need to get into the forests and wake up slightly lost wondering where I am and how I got there and who's labradors are these anyway.
I'm just going outside ...