Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kumquat

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Kumquat »

July done.
Had a last minute change of plans due to weather and work sucking all of the life out of me.
Bivvied a few miles away in the woods instead.
IMG_20210731_090017_328.jpg
IMG_20210731_090017_328.jpg (136.17 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Was nice to get on the MTB instead of the gravelw@nkermobile for a change.
Linked up a few trails and made it to the camp spot 99% 0ff road.
Grubby little urchin.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

As posted earlier, that's 7/7 for Fraser and I in 2021.

When we got home, Fraser said "well, that was eventful." As usual, we left our BaM to the last minute. Fraser had taken part in a 4 hour training session at the Fife Cycle Park so wasn't keen in going too far. We decided we would bivvy in the field next to our local NTS property. We had bivvied there before without problem. We left the house about 11PM and headed up to our destination. Outside the property, we were aware there was a group of drunken youths going about. We could hear and see them. We sneaked quietly past the gatehouse and climbed the fence into the field. Suddenly, this really aggressive guy appeared demanding to know what the f##k we were doing. I replied asking if it was his field. He said no, but was the son of the person living in the gatehouse. The backstory is his dad lives in the gatehouse and is head gardener at the NTS property. They were getting fed up with drunken louts vandalising the place. When I pointed out I had a 13 year old child with me who had no intention of wrecking the place, he backed down. I reassured him we were here for a quick bivvy and would be away before he is out his bed in the morning. He was happy with this and disappeared.

We got our sleeping set up sorted out and got down for some sleep when the police helicopter duly appeared over the horizon. It continued to fly low over the area for the next hour. No idea what/who they were looking for. Eventually things quietened down and we got to sleep.

Earlier in the week, I had checked to see whether there were any cows in our bivvy field. There weren't any. To use Jimmy G's phrase, we got natures alarm call when this face and her pals appeared over the log we were sleeping behind.

This encouraged us to get up and get home.

We pedalled home past the NTS property, across the local golf course and round Roukenglen Park

For all the trips we have made, the most eventful happens about 5 miles away. Thanks for reading.
BaM 2021
RIP

Post by RIP »

^^ Fantastic! "Events dear boy, events" :smile: .

Just about to wobble off and avail myself of a Bob-recommended Spot near Settle. So my expectations are high :smile: . He said there's room for eight, so I've now got to spend some time wandering the village trying to convince seven fair maids of Yorkshire to spend an (eventful...) night in a barn with a smelly but perfectly harmless bikepacker.

"Coo-ee ladies! Anyone want to spend the night in a well-ventilated nightspot with an aromatic bikepacker?"

:wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Live BaM In Progress'

In typically Dalesman fashion, what Bob described as 'up a bit of a hill' and 'a nice barn', can be translated into Chilterns Softie Speak as:

1000' up a long 1 in 5 lane, followed by a trek across the rainswept moor. (Passing a superb little roadside barn in the process...)

A life-expired remote barn from which a barn owl flew as I arrived. Two dead sheep already in residence. Floor churned heavily by cows. Main door lintel gone and wall about to collapse. Back 'door' off hinges below sword-of-Damocles slates ready to slice the head off a clumsy Boner.

In other words absolutely perfect.

More info later.

Last edited by RIP on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Rather a step up in accommodation terms this evening I feel. I've declined the somewhat subtle and restrained pleasures of last night's emporium and have moved up-market, although down-hill, to a deceptively spacious and charmingly appointed country retreat that I spotted on last night's wanderings. I've laid the table, lit the candles, put some romantic music on, and am awaiting the arrival of a nice lady I met in the pub earlier. She should be along at any moment. Any moment.

What do you mean you can't tell the difference from last night's? Look there's even a nice little window out of which I can see Ingleborough AND Whernside! Albeit through the sheeting rain which has barely stopped all day, as Bob will perhaps corroborate :smile: . Last night was a good view of Penyghent, so I reckon I've Done The Three Peaks now.

8/8, 8/12, 67/67
Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:39 am 'Live BaM In Progress'

A life-expired remote barn from which a barn owl flew as I arrived...... Main door lintel gone and wall about to collapse. Back 'door' off hinges below sword-of-Damocles slates ready to slice the head off a clumsy Boner.

In other words absolutely perfect.

More info later.

Farmer assessment:
'Nay lad, Nowt a bit a Bailing Twine won't fix'.
(I smell a bit ta brass int' thines pocket.) :o

Estate agents brochure:
'Hill barn ripe for unique residency for the discerning gentleman, wonderful Airy views.
* planning permission probably available ' :roll:
:-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

👍
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like the corner of the barn/shippon has collapsed since we were last there (we bivvied in the woods next to the barn last year). Some places would charge you extra for one dead sheep let alone two!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Only just going again after the Covid break.

1/12 June. Well, 10 years ago on the second Friday in June I was in Banff for the annual spin down Mexico way and I thought it would be nice to do an anniversary trip. I had planned to ride from Aberystwyth to Southwold but train cancellations meant it was going to add at least a day and I was unsure if I had the time. Plan B was to head to Glasgow and ride back to Derby on the Second City Divide / PBW / NCN68.

Arriving in Glasgow in the evening I found a Premier Inn for about £35 just off the route so headed there the first night. The following day, Friday 8am, I headed South properly and it was a day of nice tracks across wind farms and back lanes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQRMVOloQTf/

I ended up just past Talla reservoir at 11pm and it still light. I picked a bad spot in horrendous wind (I should have descended a bit) and forgot to take a pic of the tent but the photo (below) was taken about 100m away.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQROSvxIqzC/

The next couple of days I was feeling tired and after doing less miles than expected I realised I was not going to finish in the time available so got the train from near Settle. I must go back.

2/12 July. I had a bit of a late start and caught a train to Grantham and then cycled East into the fens, The plan had been to make it to The Wash but I missed a turning near Gedney and realised too late I was heading in the wrong direction. I ended up stopping off a track at what seemed like the middle of nowhere. I had just set up and it was about 10pm when I was aware of an incredibly bright light over near the road. I was 90 degrees to the road but there was a small car parking area. Anyway, 5 minutes later two people walking their three dogs walked about 50 metrres away constantly shouting at them to 'heel' or 'come here'. They could not have avoided seeing me but said nothing. About 100 metres past my tent they turned round and headed back to where they came from. In the end, don't think I slept a wink and was up at 5am and away 20 minutes later just as it started to rain.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSJWUfzIxOJ/
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Blackhound wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:05 am Only just going again after the Covid break.

1/12 June. Well, 10 years ago on the second Friday in June I was in Banff for the annual spin down Mexico way and I thought it would be nice to do an anniversary trip.I headed South properly and it was a day of nice tracks across wind farms and back lanes.
I ended up just past Talla reservoir at 11pm Yand it still light. I picked a bad spot in horrendous wind (I should have descended a bit)
Well thanks for sharing your epic. :grin: You got some miles in :-bd and it wouldn't be an adventure, if it did go completely as planned'. :-bd
I hope you caught up with your sleep.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My better half is away for a couple of nights so it seemed like the ideal opportunity to grab a night out. We'd originally planned for Friday but the weather was looking less than ideal so headed of Saturday evening instead. Ross had chosen the location - a flat spot by the Red Bothy on the River Dulnain. We approached via Carrbridge - a 28km ride, including a very short detour to pick up a "hidden" beer on the way.

On arriving at the bothy, we found no breeze whatsoever and a thick cloud of midge descended on us. The bothy was unoccupied so we headed in there, hoping that the wind would pick up a little as forecast.

When the wind did arrive, it was full of wet stuff and, by them neither of us could be bothered with pitching outsied in the cold and wet so we decided just to sleep in the bothy. This turned out to be a good idea as the midge were back full force in teh morning.

A cuppa had, bags packed, we headed out to face them, netted up until we'd got to a bit we could outrun them.

Return was over the Burma Road. This is a tough climb at the best of times but cold legs and a laden bike made it even tougher. This is Ross looking back at the climb we'd just done and we weren't at the top yet.

The descent back to Aviemore was pretty spectacular though.

We stopped at one of the local cafes for breakfast and some people-watching before a leisurely ride home.

That's 8/8 for 2021.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:33 pm When the wind did arrive, it was full of wet stuff and, by them neither of us could be bothered with pitching outsied in the cold and wet so we decided just to sleep in the bothy. This turned out to be a good idea as the midge were back full force in teh morning.
So great to have bothies open again to be a midge refuge.
Alan63 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:05 pm As posted earlier, that's 7/7 for Fraser and I in 2021.
You guys are going great guns. The record is defo on for Fraser - we are cheering him on here.
Eventful trip with no harm done = future stories to tell. :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

So my August BAM was this weekend's trip to Barmouth and Pont Scethin with JC and Sam Walsh. Nor profound words of wisdom just yet, other than that it was fantastic, and I feel very lucky.
I'm not even going to try and compete with JC on atmospheric scenery photos (although I have now been initiated to the Rule of Thirds), so here's just a few of mine (apart from the watery ones for obvious reasons)
Maybe apart from this one. The meeting place
ImagePontscethin by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Our spot for Friday night, beside the Mawdach Estuary
Not a bad view to wake up to
The search for some fish for breakfast wasn't entirely successful
John determined to use his chair, even though we were right next to some picnic benches
Completely spontaneous natural shot
Some red hot smoking brakes after this one!
We were mostly fuelled by pic 'n mix from here on in
Somewhere way down there is the bridge, and Sam waiting for a mere hour or two for me to finally make it down :lol:
There was even a fridge for our beers
Just when I thought the day couldn't get any better, we then rode up the hill for a bit, to what's got to be my bestest and wildest swim spot yet
Image2021-08-16_09-12-12 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Image2021-08-16_09-13-04 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
A lovely evening followed of food, drink, chatting, John trying to dry his socks
After a rather rainy and blustery night, another fine view to wake up to
Brilliant downhill to the pub where we cooked breakfast, then before we knew it we were back in Barmouth.

Cheers John and Sam, I loved that :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fab that, V. Pont Scethin is one of the classic BBB rites of passage really. Added to one of my favourite places on the planet - Mawddach estuary and its bivvy spots - that makes a memorable weekend. I knew JC wouldn't be able to resist a Pick N Mix (*) pilgrimage :wink: .

(*) impressed that you managed to balance your haul of PnM on your seatpack all the way round without any straps!

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Looks great - and a perfect excuse to post a link to Ian B’s classic video... https://vimeo.com/84749226
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

That looks like a grand weekend and I love the swim spot! Meanwhile, I'm still playing catchup with my posts for previous months. May was one of my favourites, as I had Jose Jr with me, who loves any kind of sleeping and living outdoors. We had to go to our usual spot in Glen Quoich as he loves it too much to let me take him anywhere else until this itch is scratched!

We parked up at Invercauld so I could make him stretch his legs a bit more on the way in along the Dee.

At Linn of Quoich we did a big climb up above the eastern side of the glen, which opened up the views nicely as the evening arrived.

After a slightly dodgy crossing of the Quoich Water, we got the tent up and dinner on.

I took over refrigeration duties for our most important sustenance, failing miserably as the water level dropped overnight.

The night and most of the next morning were taken up by playing about at the river, whilst I let my shoes dry in the sun

To make the return home more interesting we carried on up the Quoich Water to link with Gleann an t-Slugain, noting there was a lot more path present than on previous rides through, many years before.

After lunch at the ford we humphed our way onto the main track and rolled back towards Invercauld, enjoying the toasty May temperatures.

More words and even more pictures here: https://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2021-may

That was for 5/5 and 41 months in a row I think?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good trip there Jose, I love that trail up the Quoich water through the woods.

Anyway I decided to do a 'proper' bivvy last night rather than rely on on my snooze in a bag that I did on the YD300. Definitely a ride to bivvy rather than a bivvy for a ride. Headed up fairly late on to Glendevon forest to a spot I scoped out last year. Except I missed it.... When I realised I ridden past the turning I couldn't be bothered back tracking but spied a gap in the trees which lead to a gate out onto the moor. It looked a bit marginal but my expert bivvy spot eye spied a level section just big enough for my bod just up from said gate. Tarp up as the rain came on then a couple of beers to while away the time whilst watching various insects wandering around.

Amazingly there were no midges, despite it being damp, warm and still. Very odd. Most impressive were the ants who fielded the crumbs from a couple of double biscuits I'd scoffed. One carried a bit much bigger than him / her. Think carrying a lump of shortbread 10' x 4' x 2'.... Crashed out eventually and had an OK kip apart from a few random gusts blowing drizzle under the tarp.

Woke to drreich and mist (again) had a leisurely breakfast then decamped. Rather than head straight back I went for a spin round the woods then a bit of a road ride over the hill and back again.

Damp....

Thought I'd give the straggler a shot at a BAM given that gravel bikes are getting a bit of a pasting on here at the mo. Hopefully next month I'll be doing a bit of a tour on it.
Last edited by fatbikephil on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Great to see another young 'un out there Jose. :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BaM August. 8/8 for 2021

I was lost for ideas for this months’ BaM, eventually settling for a 1 hour drive to the Clocaenog forest. Parked close to Lyn Brenig and rode around the lake and the Alwen reservoir on what I found (from a sign board) to be the Two Lakes Trail. Shortly after starting I came to this..

Possible bivvy? I wonder why a house more or less complete could have been abandoned. Surely it would have been worth something to somebody? Ah well!

View from bed…

On the way back to the car I came across this post/marker.

Carnedd y Bachgen? (The boy's cairn, Google says. I’ve no idea of it’s significance to that spot - can’t find anything on Google - a minor mystery.

A little further on, near the top of a hill, I stopped to let a family roll past and their little boy, very proudly told me

"I'm only five, and I made it to the top". :grin: Don't you just love 'em?

Anyway, I’d started this BaM with little enthusiasm, but the ride across the moors this morning cheered me up no end and on the drive home, a “Beaters Bap” from the Rhug estates' cafe completed the transformation. Bacon, egg, hash brown and a sausage patty all in a soft white bap. Not really well earned, after all I only cycled 16 miles, but delicious all the same.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

A superb example of deluxe accom there Lu. Would've been straight in there. Brand new roof too as a treat.

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:56 pm A superb example of deluxe accom there Lu. Would've been straight in there. Brand new roof too as a treat.
The floor would need a bit of levelling, but that's nothing to us Ponterwydites... :grin:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd (and dustpan and brush!)

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Another month busy with DIY means again it's a school night bivi. To keep it interesting I thought I try a new luggage stagey. It follows on from Tony's question about the least you would take on an overnighter and also ties in with Luke's question about hydration vests. As mentioned in the running thread, I have a new 15L pack I intended to use for run based bivis but I've not tested it yet, so I packed all the kit in that. All I took was:-

Borah bivi bag
Thermarest unberlite 3/4 mat
Inflatable pillow
Cumulus 150 quilt
Long sleeve hooded base layer for sleeping in
Beanie
Down booties
Tooth brush/tooth paste
Thermometer
Head torch
Windproof
Lightweight down jacket
Snacks
Ralph

It all fitted but I did put some in the bottle sleeves and use normal bottles on the bike. Didn't really notice it when riding so would be an option for technical routes where I'd want to keep the weight off the bike.

Went to a spot I'd been to before, well the same area of the woods as I've no idea of the exact spots I've been. I always take care to make sure I have all my kit when I leave as the LNT policy means there's no way to find the exact bit I slept on again if I had to go back for soemthing. Once set up I put the rucksack with the empty stuff sack/jersey/gloves etc. inside under the bit of my legs off the end of the mat which worked ok to keep them off the cold ground. One benefit of the climate crisis is I can now get a warm nights sleep under the 150 quilt, the thermometer said that 12 degrees was the lowest it got. Up early, breakfast of chilled Caffe Latte (caramel) from a carton and a waffle (no stove required) and I was on my way to work. It shows how normal biving has become that I know I'll get a full nights sleep and be able to head to work no worse for wear than if I'd slept at home.

All of the kit fitted in here

I'm aware that I'm fortunate to own high end kit these days. The kit I used on my first bivis would require a substantially bigger rucksack!

Went past Carisbrooke Caste on the way in for a change of scene.

Under the arch would make a good bivi spot if only the Castle was further out of town. Those railings were added a few years ago when someone fell off the roadway into the ditch/earthworks below. Despite the fact no one had fell off in the previous 700 years it must be a design fault with the road :roll: or maybe the others who fell didn't survive to sue English Heritage. Not far down the road I came across this,

That's a knitted post box cosy depicting Carisbrooke Castle, note Charles I who was held prisoner there for 14 months before his execution in 1649.

The last section took me along my usual commute, surprised to see this

A duckling in August! More effects climate change? The tree behind was alive with rats, which I don't mind, as long as they are not in my house.

That's 8/8 for this year and I think now 22 in a row.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Always something to enjoy in your reports Sean. Liked the "700 years" quote about the railings - Elfen Safety innit.

Knitted thingies are great. I once went through a little village on the coast north of Barmouth (Llanbedr? Talybont?) and there were loads of them, some life size, some not. Great fun. With your one, I think Ralph would have enjoyed being perched next to them so he could make their acquaintance!

Duckling / rats ! Er, poor combo surely - guided to safety?

Nice to see someone actually bivvying too, seems to be a lot of activity in the Banter area but not that much in here in Trips/Adventures these days. Maybe just my perception.

Two thirds through the year. Scores On Doors, Phil?