Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Bearlegged »

I thought "FUEL RALPH" was an instruction rather than a list at first glance!
Moff

Post by Moff »

shutuplegs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:50 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 pm
shutuplegs wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:43 pm Oddly enough it’s a memorial to a horse...
Farley Mount? I'd never considered that as a bivi spot but I've only been there in the day when it's busy.
That’s the one. I had a quick look around the car parks to see if anybody was around. The area can be, how shall I say, popular after dark...or so I’ve heard :lol:
Perfect spot if I’m honest. Toasty warm and nice view of sunrise.
Nice spot Farley Mount.

We had visitors last time, we'd pitched up on the south boundary and the 'normals' used the monument for their smoking & drinking session, they either hadn't seen us or didn't care.

Bizarrely woke up to spot a guy flaked out in the middle of a crop circle in the field below, bike abandoned 20-30m away.

Woods to the west are good for a hidden bivi.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Charliecres wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:37 am

The world felt surprisingly closed still, too. I was expecting Avebury to be back to full tourist honeypot status but the pub was shut up and the place was all but deserted. That would have been perfect if we’d had time to nose around but as it was we were hoping for a resupply before going up on to the Ridgeway.
I used to live that way. My first ever night ride was from London at 8pm to Stonehenge for solstice. I paced myself for a feed at Stonehenge but only got a tiny crappy pancake. Was desperate for that pub at Avebury on the way back to Wootton Bassett but crushed to be there at 5am. I drew the line at downing someone's half-finished pint from the night before (old me).

At one point I lay down in a field and cried myself to sleep and definitely burst out in full-on tears of joy when I realised the post office in Broad Town was open. The shop owner took pity, offered to close up and drive us home - but we made it.

I swore I'd never ride through the night again. Oh how times have changed.

April bivi
I got my April in on Easter weekend. More words here https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... ekend.html

My April ride was beautiful but afterward felt a bit epic. I've been in therapy since.* I wish it had been longer and I miss the days of being able to head out (pretty much) knowing I'd be able to get a table at a pub or a hot meal without hauling three-days worth on the bike. That said, there were massive highlights:
  • lack of a plan
    baking in fleecy leggings and cursing not taking spare shorts out.
    Having the predictable spots to myself.Image
    Confirming my legs have improved a bit up in the big climbs.
    A satisfaction of being out with nowhere to be
• • •

A memorable succession of snacking spots which both marked the passage of time and made it irrelevant.

A hot meal is no all night substitute for the right duvet but it will work for a while.
The tranquility of the Pennine Bridleway in the evening sun.
Irrespective of the astonishing cold the sunset and sunrise in an East - West facing valley was amazing.
Jelly-baby-based hot "Ribena" is actually pretty good.
Jogging up and down the bridleway to remain warm enough to pack then finding the perfect breeze-free full-sun bench to get a brew and get dressed for the day.

• • •

Day2 passed in a blur and yet I dawdled to make it last. I was unhurried, engaged with the earth + disengaged with time. I queued, I chatted, I drank and ate my way home.

I can't say it was the best camp out, what with the cold. I'm beginning to think British valleys are never a good idea, compared to hilltops/ hillsides (given a choice), based on recent experience. Certainly "hardship training" (whatever you want to call it) is a daft idea & I'm looking forwards to a more positive experience soon.

* It really wasn't so bad.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, another textbook offering there our Sean.

Mudless Copse? One of those many places that are strangely oppositely-named to their actual features :smile: .

I reckon "sliding downhill in bed" is up there near the top of Boners' Pet Hates, definitely. Maybe it should be added to the Boner Olympics - greatest distance slid downhill whilst asleep. Who could make it into the next county without realising?

That Ralph, he's a pretty enigmatic character you know. It's just dawned on me that he's always smiling. What does he know? Or, is it just a fixed rictus of terror while he's wondering what daft thing you're gonna do next with him?

Camo shelter. Reminded me of BDS's Altaplex. It certainly works doesn't it. Well in a wood anyway. Maybe not in the kids playground. Talking of which, I've bivvied in two playgrounds in the past, hiding inside the climbing frames like that one. Surprisingly well concealed. Although there's obviously scope for getting embroiled in some interesting conversations. I guess I could make sure I always had my Enhanced DBS on me?

Spencer XXX? I don't think that's a "pet semetary" ("Ancient goblins, and warlords....come out the ground, not making a sound"... - that'd scare the substandard out of me if I was bivvied), I reckon it's a secret stash of "Spencer Triple X" beer left by a bivvier for their next visit.....

Enjoyed all your people cameos. Especially that bloke with the ladder. As you say, what on earth was that about? I'd quite like to do that one day. Just carry one round for no reason at all and see what people said.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Don't mention the plex....still raw.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah sorry mate, yes it did cross my mind after typing. Still, your new one looks fab :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Bonus BaM

Last year, on the WRT-at-Home, I spotted a small corner of a wood that had a bluebell patch. They'd all flowered by then, but I promised myself a bivvy-in-bluebells next time they were in flower.

This was it...

I did'nt notice while I was setting up, that I'd set up to sleep with my face inches from these...

Happily I didn't get my face stung. It's not what I would call a bivvy - no distance, no cooking, no tea-making, no breakfast. Left home in the dark, made my bed and went to sleep. Next morning, packed up and home for breakfast by 8 o'clock.

The photos...
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nettle soup for breakfast maybe?

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:55 am Nettle soup for breakfast maybe?
BTDT. Not for breakfast though. Anyway, there weren’t enough nice new tips.

Aside from that, I’ve now bivvied in primroses, violets and now bluebells. Also in nettles and more brambles than I like to think about. A bad idea wearing shorts, and no mistake.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

My first night out in 6 months...

Loaded up the bike

Fought my way around Bugeilyn to get to this location.

The pub was still open!

Took a picture

The stars came out and I forgot my bloody tripod :( so tried my best....

Water

Gears worked well.

[Image

Can't wait to play out again. It did get really rather cold. It was lovely.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fabulous situations there 'Goat - like Eeyore's, "Stu's Favourite Place"... you'll have him jumping on his bike and nipping straight up there....

Love that second photo....

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Feel free to correct me as it's a day bivy, but I have reason to believe I've just managed to bag myself my April BAM for 2021 :-bd

Yesterday I realised I desperately needed a fair few shifts before the missus finds out hoe much the new frame costs. Other day she was telling me with disapproval how my elder bro bought himself a 5k electric mtb. Obviously he's an idiot regardless...

So, I've been considering my April BAM for a while now and was gonna let it slip through my fingers. But then yesterday a shift came up in Powys so I took it, packed the bike amd thought about what sleeping bag to take. Something lightweight and thankfully the AK Ghost Something presented itself from my sons room (it's his :o or else yes I probably would have). Bivy bag sold, I recalled the trusty goretex army issue type thingy.

So shift completed, this morning at 0820ish I left work with the bike I'd hauled down in my boot. Target being to find a quiet place I could hopefully grab some kip (wait... I just saw a Buzzard but far overhead) which would also be secluded enough to grab some bird shots. Yes, my camera being the phone, I am slowly edging towards 'needing' a proper camera.

Armed with 27mm rear and 32mm fronts, I departed thinking I'd dialled the long climb to the snowdonia viewpoint into my Wahoo. But before long I realised I was somewhere else and nowhere near a trajectory to the Glaslyn Nature Reserve and the Snowdonia viewpoint. No bother, the views were still amazing and RSF wouldn't be put off by some 27mm tires and risk of gravel/off road

So I took the below shots on my quest to an appropriate B site.

Darn... Pics won't load, but will add em when Imgur stops playing dead.

A beauty of a spot

A message from AK for the feel good factor and to tell us how beautiful we all are

'Ginormous' fallen trees

Presleep, decisions decisions... Think well shall take the pave please shall we Egen

The point of, 'oh, its the welsh coast path' and 'oooh, shall we go fetch an empty square Egen'.

Standing in your empty square... The satisfaction of it all... life is good Alhamdulillah

Wales... by ek, you're gorgeous... Alhamdulillahi Rabbilaalameen (All Praise to God, Lord of the worlds*).

... Eventually I came to a clearing with my teeth still intact as I'd only had to endure light gravel thankfully and walked past the boggy paths which were nice and dry. Set up camp under the shadow of what I believe to be a mount called Tarren-Tyn-y-Maen. I have taken a pic but like what bob said about the Hymalayas and other big mounts, pics can't do em justice. I'm at about 100m and this thing is around 350m tall: but still looks huge.

Had about 2 hours worth of quality sleep, not managed to snap a bird pic just yet but camp is setup next to two huge fallen trees... So there is still hope.

Got back to the car and remembered there's this great big milk vending machine outside the tyre shop. My colleague at work told me it's unpasteurised so perfect to take home for me. Sadly I didn't have my car with me and nor would it probably last in such heat for the drive back home...

Answers on a postcard if my bivy being a day effort still counts :smile:

*Only added in case anyone wondered
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

So long as you rode there and back and had a kip don't see why not.

Driving to Mach for one shift isn't ideal for your carbon target though one might say :wink: . Still, compromises, compromises.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:49 pm So long as you rode there and back and had a kip don't see why not.

Driving to Mach for one shift isn't ideal for your carbon target though one might say :wink: . Still, compromises, compromises.
Reg... Id I hadn't they'd have struggled to keep the patients watered, fed and toileted. Not a nice feeling at all. I'll make it up on a few more Nott commutes. Besides, I think it's at a standstill we cause most pollution from the car :-bd
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:49 pm So long as you rode there and back and had a kip don't see why not.

Ta Reg... Pics added
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am Got back to the car and remembered there's this great big milk vending machine outside the tyre shop.
Shame it's cow's and not sheep's milk, else you could have had Huw Lewis And The Ewes.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I suppose Huw Lewis And The Moos will have to suffice.
redefined_cycles

Forgot..

I imagine it's the remains of a plane.

4/4 done for BAM2021 (unless Stu says the rules stipulate the bivy needs to be part of an overnighter... not sure why I always thought that was a rule!).
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:59 pm I suppose Huw Lewis And The Moos will have to suffice.
:grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"A beauty of a spot". Certainly is. Sounds like you a great time anyway and that's the main thing :-bd .

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Didn't quite leave it until the last minute this month but not far off :wink:

This is actually my first bivy away from the garden since last year's delayed WRT. We ummed and arred about whether to ride from home or drive somewhere first. In the end we rode from home. There was a keen northerly wind, if you weren't in the sun it was pretty nippy.

Headed into town then along the Leeds Liverpool Canal to Gargrave.

This swan wasn't bothered by our passing by. The white dot at the top of the shot is another swan - they seem to like this field as there's often up to fifty birds there.

We'd used our bivy spot before - an old quarry so reasonably sheltered. It had clouded over by the time we got there but through the night it cleared out and the moon was really bright!

A bit of overnight condensation, it was pretty nippy during the night - a Cumulus 150 might not have been enough :shock: Had to wear my lightweight duvet as well.

The morning's carnage.

The farmer drove past as we were packing up - just waved so obviously not too bothered about us being there.

Over to Mastiles. What can't be seen in the shots is the biting north-easterly wind. Not so bad riding with it but you needed a windproof top on when riding into it. If you were out of the wind and in the sun it was really warm.

Dropping down to Malham.

Malham was packed and there were steady streams of more cars on the way there - local farmer wasn't pleased with their standard of driving :lol:

Had a second breakfast at Airton then chose a slightly different way back. Followed my Aire Watershed route for a bit. I'd noticed this curiosity many years ago but had forgotten just where it was but noticed it this time. It's an old harrow, used for breaking up the tilth after ploughing, doubt it's going to be used again.

One last hill to get home. This shot's looking back over most of the route - our bivy was on the moor behind the sharp top at centre right.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Very nice :-bd , bet it was good to get out there after such a long time
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:50 am Hello and welcome to the 2021 edition of 'Bivvy a Month' and what will undoubtedly be another odd and strange year.

There are no rules as such and you're free to do whatever you like. However, there are some guidelines which if adhered to make you eligible for a lovely BaM patch. They are ....

• At least one night out per calendar month for twelve consecutive months.

• For the months of Jan and Feb, your own back garden will count as an overnight spot - this will be reviewed at the end of Feb.

* A single trip taking in both the last night of one month and the first of the next, will count as two months if you wish - but you still need 2 nights out, just that they'll be combined within a single trip.

* A bike must be involved - it's bikepacking, the clue's in the name ... 'Involved'? You really don't need me to spell it out do you?

* No paid for accommodation inc' campsites or hostels. Bothies are okay. Remember, at present all bothies are off limits.

* Post each trip here in as much detail as you like, pictures are good. One post for each month please ... if you'd prefer not to post, that's fine. We'll take you at your word but people do like reading the trip reports.

Thank you as always to Kev C for the inspiration.
Stu... please may I clarify point 1 here... 'at least one night out'... Is that just the figure of speech as we'd not usually expect someone to go in need of bivying during the day. Only asking cos I did my day bivy after my night was spent on shift. Wouldn't wanna get it wrong :grin: :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Remember Shaf, BAM is a bit like the Pirates Code..

https://youtu.be/k9ojK9Q_ARE
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Jan to Mar were all bagged where I used to live in North London, April was bagged in my new home turf

Went out for the Friday night group ride with the local MTB club. I cycled to the start as per normal and stashed my bar bag in someone's car. Left my harness on and then did the ride with the club. It's a different route each time and varies based on who turns up and leads. Many of the group surprised I was going to bivi out, don't think there's many into it, certainly not till it warms up a bit more anyway

The ride headed up to QECP for a few trails there and then headed back to the pub (where the ride starts). Had a pint of Hophead and a packet of sweet chilli crisps. Bit of banter there, then headed off. About 200m up the road, having passed two gates (as I was on a cheeky bit of footpath) I realised I hadn't filled my water bottle so had to double back.

I had a couple of options for where I might bivi but was playing it by ear, in the end I headed for the nearest Down, or small hill to anyone else. It was a cool, clear night with a bit of breeze. Even breezier at the top but I set up next to a tumulus (also known as a barrow), which is a mound of earth over one or more graves. I think I'd find sleeping in a graveyard a bit creepy but this was just fine and the tumulus was providing a touch of wind protection.

Had a lovely view, there's nothing to the South so had a lovely view of the lights on the coast and over to the IoW. Funny how different things seem at night. Sadly couldn't see many stars as the moon was so bright, didn't even need a head torch.

Didn't bother with a stove so had a few snacks for dinner. Also meant no coffee in the morning. Dog walker went past me at 6am but didn't seem bothered by my presence, I was bivi only, no tarp, so didn't look scary, just odd :lol:

After a few morning snacks for brekkie I had a descent off the top first thing in the morning, was freezing. Wore all my layers. Sadly I managed to lose my glasses and the case when I stopped to change layers. Nevermind. Explored a few new trails in the morning, home by about 8:30am.

Have a great panaroma shot but it's too big to be hosted here. This was my view in the morning. Not a great shot, the sea is in the background and the IoW and Portsmouth over to the right
Chalton Down 2.jpg
Chalton Down 2.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 1798 times