Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by frogatthefarriers »

With Wales being open for unlimited travel (in Wales) I plumped for a March 31st/April 1st double in the Berwyns.

Bivvy 1. March 31st.
On the way there.... Wood anemonies

The bivvy..

Bivvy 2. April 1st.
On the way there.... Primroses...

I love spring wildflowers. Bluebells next.

A horrible cold ride to the Spar at Llanrheadr-ym-Mochnant for bananas and cakes, then more horrible cold climbing around the top of Glan-Hafon and down to Llangynog where I was cheered to see a succession of painted slates beside the track - bunnies, birds, frogs, flowers, insects - you get the picture. I spoke to a lady walker and she said they were painted and put there by one of her neighbours, just for fun. It certainly cheered me up.

From Llangynog, a very long 3 miles and 1000ft of climbing on the B4391, before turning on to a bridleway across to Landrillo. The last time I was this way, I took a lane on the other side of the river that was much prettier, but flattish for most of the way, with all the climbing in the last mile. This time, as I puffed up the main road I could see how much height I had gained in the same distance and congratulated myself on my good choice.

I've crossed the moors on the Wayfarer four times now and hated every one, although I wouldn't say I won't do it again. It's tough, but worth doing for the challenge. I've never tried it from the other end but I think it would be much, much harder. This time there was an icy cold wind in my face all the way.

The bivvy.

My bivvy was in a wood close to a pheasant rearing set-up. All night long, I was woken up by that trumpeting alarm call and flapping of wings. Not too much sleep then.

So then it was over the top and then another top and steeply down to Llangollen for a bacon, egg and sausage butty and a cup of sweet tea before the last couple of miles back to the car.

That's two-for-one BaMs. I've now got two months before I have to do another.. Mind you, I've still got to bivvy-in-the-bluebells, so I guess it'll be two bivvies in April. Or May. You can never have too many, is what I say.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Well it was just wonderful to be able to head out and enjoy our new freedom here in Wales. With it being the Easter weekend, I opted for properly off road to avoid silly traffic and people generally, as with the fine weather everyone is going a little crazy here.... I went for the tree-line ridge option in the end, thanks for your opinions on this. The quarry will wait for another time...
I started with my usual ride over the common, and stopped for a while to join some bird watchers with gigantic cameras watching a red kite fishing above a pond, just stunning:
ImageIMG_20210402_150212 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Then onwards to what looks a bit like teletubbyland, where you can just spot the ridge on the horizon, where I would be riding to, the long way round.
ImageIMG_20210402_151820 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
After some climbing, and bit more climbing, I happily left the tarmac for, you guessed it, some more climbing, on some surprisingly immaculate gravel (presumably for forestry operations)
ImageIMG_20210402_155656 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
A bit hazy, and warm enough to take my long sleeved top off, but here you can just see Crai reservoir below, and Fan Gyhirych, which I would be passing just behind of
ImageIMG_20210402_161420 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
About here I met the only two (e-mountain bike) cyclists of the who trip (and of only a handful of people overall), shortly before riding right through a herd about about 30 Welsh Blacks. They were chilled out mothers with calves still young enough to be just curious, their fluffy ears backlit by the sun and looking like teddy bear ears
ImageIMG_20210402_162513 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Finally the track levelled off, and I was rewarded with stunning views over Fan Nedd
ImageIMG_20210402_163819 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
and Fan Gyhirych
ImageIMG_20210402_163845 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
and back to Pen Y Fan, which looked surprisingly far away
ImageIMG_20210402_164523 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
On passing the highest point, from which I remembered from many years ago it is just a short pull up to the summit of Fan Gyhirych, I met a fell runner running down (faster than me, as I was cautious on some very loose gravel), and I immediately regretted not making the detour to the top (but couldn't be arsed to go back). I had remembered a good strong and clear stream at the Byfre, and stopped there to top up my water bottles
ImageIMG_20210402_172509 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
The track then got a bit gnarlier
ImageIMG_20210402_174746 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Difficult to make out on this photo, but I passed this pretty big shake hole
ImageIMG_20210402_175951 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Still following a track of sorts
ImageIMG_20210402_180006 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
and passed a couple of cave entrances, for I was riding above the large cave system of Ogof Ffynnon Du (cave of the black well), where I spent a fair bit of my twenties
ImageIMG_20210402_181207 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
After all that, it was quite nice to rejoin a proper track again. Nice looking, randomly placed, old railway carriage
ImageIMG_20210402_182614 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Down to Blaen Nedd Isaf, where I crossed the stream and joined Sarn Helen roman road, which I would be following all the way home
ImageIMG_20210402_183941 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210402_184115 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Maen Madoc standing stone https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=4435
ImageIMG_20210402_190515 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
After a short stretch on the Ystradfellte Road, where I saw a few camper vans parked up and some people wild camping in a car park, I was soon off road again and, in the golden light of a beautiful sunset, heading along my final stretch towards my intended spot for the bivvy
ImageIMG_20210402_193806 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
One last look back towards the distinctive steep face of Fan Gyhirych
ImageIMG_20210402_194641 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
And forwards towards Brecon, with "my" ridge now in sight
ImageIMG_20210402_195312 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Just a pretty water feature
ImageIMG_20210402_200208 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Despite it being a gloriously sunny day, what the pictures don't show is that there was quite a bitter northerly wind blowing all day, which by now was picking up and starting to feel quite cold. So I reckoned the ridge, lovely though the sunrise view would be from there, would be a bit too exposed, so instead I picked what turned out to be a great spot: Bit of dry stone wall with a corner for me to tuck in out of the wind, and just next to but out of sight from the track (not that there was anyone about). Complete with some beautiful pine trees, what a view from bed!
ImageIMG_20210402_202356 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
I cracked open my can of vanilla stout, starting cooking dinner, only to pour water over it half way through, as I realised that there was a bit too much tinder dry vegatation for my liking next to my cooker. Lukewarm burgers and cheese it was, never mind, I was glad that Father Jimmy had reminded us on Maundy Thursday that Good Friday was meant to be a day of fasting and no meat, so that had prompted me to opt for sweet-potatoe-and-something-else-dry-but-edible burgers, which were ok to eat cold-ish.
Completely clear starry night, which I was able to enjoy fully, as I was just in my bivvy bag (very unusually the forecast had been for zero percent chance of any precipitation!).
This was my view in the morning
ImageIMG_20210403_061500 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210403_070516 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
A leisurely ride back to Brecon, and, so as not to arrive home too early, the whole thing topped off with a nice cup of coffee, and, yes, lemon drizzle cake
ImageIMG_20210403_085442 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

4/12
Verena

Post by Verena »

Charliecres wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:01 am Definitely the ridge.

Creepy Welsh quarries are inevitably overrun with Sontarans and Cybermen, who’ll keep you awake all night threatening to enslave the human race and atomise the Earth. Remote reservoir? You’ll almost certainly be disturbed by someone disposing of a body or an old DFS sofa.
I'm so proud of myself for managing to resist making naff jokes about being probed by aliens :mrgreen:
Verena

Post by Verena »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm Mind you, I've still got to bivvy-in-the-bluebells, so I guess it'll be two bivvies in April. Or May. You can never have too many, is what I say.
Ooooo, bivvy-in-the-bluebells, is that a thing? I like it :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Verena wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:50 am
I dunno about it being a “thing”, but it sure smells better than bivvy-in-the-wild-garlic. :wink:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Nice trip, Verena! Great to see people getting out there again :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:05 pm
Verena wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:50 am
I dunno about it being a “thing”, but it sure smells better than bivvy-in-the-wild-garlic. :wink:
I'm going to make it a thing, for my May BAM, I know two good spots... :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Charliecres wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:29 pm Nice trip, Verena! Great to see people getting out there again :-bd
Thank you :smile:
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Enjoyed that photo stream a lot. Like going out for a ride with some who actually knows where they are instead of just following a pink line on the Garmin.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
robbie

Post by robbie »

First bivy of the year for me on Friday.
Headed off late afternoon after work.
Aberfeldy on road round by schiehallion down to Loch Rannoch then took the path over to Glen Lyon. It was starting to get properly cold on the decent with some snow showers.
Decided on a spot just in the woods for a bit of cover.
Woke a couple of times as it was pretty cold. Woke to a glorious crisp morning. After 2 coffees and some porridge I got back on the bike at 8am
Headed up the Glen and over the climb & descended down to Killin narrowly avoiding a suicidal sheep on the descent for second breakfast.
Then along the south side of loch Tay back to Aberfeldy.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Finally time for "The Great Escape" then :smile: .

I don't have much call for haircuts or beard trims (pointless giving a bikepacker a voucher for a free haircut) or even a nail bar visit, and zero interest in gyms etc, but I do have an urgent requirement for sleeping somewhere unpleasant. So, all packed, trains all worked out, and..... oh. Sigh. Family issues over at the Hippopotamus's. Might take a couple of days to sort out (if ever, as usual) so jape plans put on ice until hopefully later in the week. "On ice" being a neat turn of phrase since the forecast later in the week is 0degC.

Sigh.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right, Just been doing a first quarter tally and the following are three out of threes:
Sean iow
Shutuplegs
RIP
TheBrownDog
Frog
Trepid
Htrider
Scotroutes
K1100T
Landslide
Benp1
CharlieCres
Raggedstone
Verena
Kumquat
Alan63
Redefined Cycles
Andiphim

Any additions I've missed shout out.

Also Got Mythste starting in March and Robbie this month. Given the circumstances I'll count anyone starting this month in the tally as well. For those on the fence, take this opportunity for an easy spring start and get out there. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Phil. We've got all the supposedly tough ones out of the way now so should all be plain sailing until December then :smile: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

htrider wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 pm Right, Just been doing a first quarter tally and the following are three out of threes:
Sean iow
Shutuplegs
RIP
TheBrownDog
Frog
Trepid
Htrider
Scotroutes
K1100T
Landslide
Benp1
CharlieCres
Raggedstone
Verena
Kumquat
Alan63
Redefined Cycles
Andiphim

Any additions I've missed shout out.

Also Got Mythste starting in March and Robbie this month. Given the circumstances I'll count anyone starting this month in the tally as well. For those on the fence, take this opportunity for an easy spring start and get out there. :-bd
Yay :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:24 pm Finally time for "The Great Escape" then :smile: .

I don't have much call for haircuts or beard trims (pointless giving a bikepacker a voucher for a free haircut) or even a nail bar visit, and zero interest in gyms etc, but I do have an urgent requirement for sleeping somewhere unpleasant. So, all packed, trains all worked out, and..... oh. Sigh. Family issues over at the Hippopotamus's. Might take a couple of days to sort out (if ever, as usual) so jape plans put on ice until hopefully later in the week. "On ice" being a neat turn of phrase since the forecast later in the week is 0degC.

Sigh.
Was just going to start a new thread asking what you folks in England are going to all do with your new freedoms - but you've beaten me to it!

What a shame, I half expected you to head out at just after midnight....

Ahh, hippopotamae do have that tendency to get in the way... mine (God rest her soul) used to always have a crisis on a Saturday, just in time for the weekend, but to be fair only in the last year of her life.... that was a good few years ago, so I have been able to enjoy that bit of freedom.... but only a question of time before I have my own parents get into mischief... as the only daughter, and living in another country, I' not particularly looking forward to that one...

Hopefully you'll get out there later this week
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:42 pm
What a shame, I half expected you to head out at just after midnight....

Ahh, hippopotamae do have that tendency to get in the way... mine (God rest her soul) used to always have a crisis on a Saturday, just in time for the weekend, but to be fair only in the last year of her life.... that was a good few years ago, so I have been able to enjoy that bit of freedom.... but only a question of time before I have my own parents get into mischief... as the only daughter, and living in another country, I' not particularly looking forward to that one...

Hopefully you'll get out there later this week
Thanks V. Yes I was thinking of setting off at 00:01 (more sensible people apparently went to the pub at 00:01!) but decided to wait for off peak tickets this evening. I also quite fancy a little journey and not many trains at 00:02 getting me somewhere to bivvy in time for 'this morning's night' if you see what I mean :wink: . Actually, that might have been Naughty anyway - is it the night of the 12th we're allowed to kip away from home? Would 'last night this morning' be a 'day' too soon? Interesting!

I remember a thread a while ago where we (ok me then :wink: ) tried to define to the nearest minute what constituted 'overnight' and didn't really finalise it (surprise surprise).

Anyroadup, hoping for Wednesday night now. On the upside at least that now means I have time to pop in to the nail bar.

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:12 pm On the upside at least that now means I have time to pop in to the nail bar.
That image in my mind just makes me chuckle...

What are you going for, full pink sparkly?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes I think sparkly would be in the spirit of the moment wouldn't it? Maybe I could ask them to do my bonce as well for a bit of fun? Then again that would be under my helmet most of the time, and only the owls would be there to appreciate it when I finally stopped and took it off.

The next big battle will be upon arrival working out where on my bike all my gear now is, now that I'm bunging some stuff in this 'ere new fangled frame bag thing.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So, hypothetically speaking... if i go bivy out tonight, is that against the spirit of the rules...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Entirely within the rules now as I understand it

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Staying away from home overnight
You can stay overnight in a campsite, caravan, boat, second home, or other self-contained accommodation. This should only be with your household or support bubble. You must not stay overnight with anyone not in your household or support bubble, unless a legal exemption applies.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... -overnight
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 pm "Staying away from home overnight
you must not stay overnight with anyone not in your household or support bubble"
Worth highlighting that, yes. Presumably May 17th if goes to schedule.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Right, finally 'Live BaM In Progress' as they say.

Opted to go to Macclesfield which is my usual port of call when I need a fast journey - 55 minutes by train from Milton Keynes, which is insane. On arrival, point the bike east and see where we end up.

One of the train's advantages is you don't have to finish where you started so I'll aim for the Peaks and do some nose-following.

I'll be dangerously close to Stu's ancestral home so the 'bikepacking field' will be strong meaning anything could happen. That's not a field to kip in, more a field of force or 'aura'.

One day I'd like to try 'crowdpacking' - I set off and you lot can dictate which random direction to go in at various points or times. Not this time though. I wouldn't put it past some wag to send me due south after the previous one said go due north......
Last edited by RIP on Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

It's a very strange feeling being out and about though I must say.