Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Raggedstone

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Raggedstone »

12/12 for 2021 and 36 consecutive
A Solstice bivvy seemed like a good idea and as finally the cloud was supposed to lift and a cold clear night was forecast it seemed like a good opportunity to get December done ,unlike some of last year's end of year bivvys I had managed to do something meaningful each month this time so a local run up the Malvern's was not an option . I had been wanting to do a night on Bredon Hill for a long time so it seemed a good time to go , it had been noted earlier in the day that I wasn't as grumpy as usual a state of mind that allowed me to enjoy the Christmas lights in the villages I passed through on the way across the vast Severn plain . The fish and chip shop in Bredon down by the railway line was where I was planning to get an evening meal and indeed enjoyed the best fish and chips that I eaten for a long time whilst waving at the passing trains in case Reg was on one of them .
Weighing quite a bit more now the climb up the hill followed I had an idea where I would probably stop as I know the hill quite well from the many nights spent stumbling back over from the cider pub to a friend's place . The moon was out and the temperature was going down quickly so somewhere under the trees seemed a better option I found a good flat place amongst the debris from storm Arwen . I had the deschuttes tarp with me but cleverly hadn't brought the pegs finally I found a good use for the the Bearbones throwing trowel it was perfect for the front guy and bits of stick did the rest . I dropped off easily and was woken by a deer barking very loudly quite close to me each bark was answered by a distant response after about twenty minutes it stopped . A few fitful sleep's followed then the sky went red with a glorious sunset accompanied by a brew and breakfast .
ImageIMG_20211222_075740139 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20211222_075646852 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20211222_075802518 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
It was pretty cold bit of frost on the bags and under the trees but I was quite surprised how frosty it was out in the open at least the mud was solid . Arrived back home around midday with numb feet and fingers another year done looking forward to doing it again next year .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Reckon we always get good stories towards the last minutes of the year and they were great reads Shaf and Kev. You're pretty much an honorary Chilterns Boner by now Shaf, the number of times you bike through our area. That was quite an achievement, Dewsbury-London. I challenge you to bivvy in Whipsnade Zoo next time :smile: . That peg trauma must have given you a bit of a Moment there Kev, you are the Improv King :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:42 pm That peg trauma must have given you a bit of a Moment there Kev, you are the Improv King :-bd .
Can't beat a bit of whittling to while away the time :grin:
Up the Yellow Brick Road Kev? It's years since I've been up Bredon Hill with the Ashton lot.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Reg. Regards Whipsnade I considered going a little further in though it was closed. For a pic, but the security seemed heavy so stayed outside the boundary gates :smile:
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

No I headed up from Westmancote to investigate spending a night with the Badgers but to much debris around little did I know at that point how handy that might have beeen :smile:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

2021 BaM year completed.

For a long time, I've been wondering if the disused track-bed that I could see from the A4212 (Bala to Trawsfynydd) was rideable. It's not marked on OS maps as such, but I found a reference to it, on a walking page, that it was a permissive path. Game On!
Starting from Bala, I'd planned a lanes route up past Llyn Celyn and Llyn Tryweryn to pick up the start of said track-bed SH 785 387. All well and good, but I missed my turning off the A road and didn't realise until I was a mile past and already climbed a few hundred feet. Not wanting to climb those feet again, I pressed on for another ten miles to my turn-off. When I got there I found a sign-board proclaiming it to be a permissive path, but with conditions which included 'No Cycling'. I think that it only applied to the part owned by the forestry company. Once out of the forest there were new gates and a fair bit of hard-core paving, presumably laid by the Snowdonia National Park.

What! That was a bit of a set-back and no mistake. What to do? I'd intended to follow the track to Trawsfynydd, then drop down to Coed y Brenin to bivvy in a spot I'd found a few years ago . Alternatives were to either back-track and drive all the way to CYB or pedal down the main road. Nah! Take a chance and plead ignorance if questioned.

Start of the track:-

An interesting feature:-
Cwm Prysor viaduct.

Sunny track-bed:- Shame to waste it.

My planned "Interesting Spot" Bivvy was to be at the disused Gwynfynydd gold mine. When I'd been before (November '17), the buildings were still there, though all the glass had gone from the windows, but eminently suitable for a bivvy.

Gwynfynydd in 2017:-

When I reached it, it was securely fenced off and a sign proclaimed "Gwynfynydd Renewable Energy" on the Brand new gate. Looking through, it looked as though nothing had changed from the last time I'd been there and when I checked, there was no padlock on the gate. "Shall I?" I thought. No, p'raps not; I don't want to risk being woken up in the night by a security guards' dog growling at me. So plan B (or C), now. For what I'd planned I needed good shelter and Penrhos Isaf fitted the bill, so that's where I headed. Got a bit lost in the forest and found myself on what seemed like miles of the Red Fox trail in darkness before eventually finding my way there.

Already installed was Giles, Giles from London, who had brought wood and had already lit the fire. Giles is a computer software engineer, designing and developing software for insurance companies. Did you know, that some insurance agencies have lie-detectors built-in to their systems for claimants?

Anyway, why did I need good shelter for this bivvy? Because it's my one-hundredth :-bd . Eighty four BaMs and sixteen extras and I planned a three-course meal to celebrate.
Starter:- Cup-a-Soup. No pic - it's only cup-a-soup after all.
Main:- Liver and onions with mashed potato and green beans. I took a small one-class bottle of red wine to go with it.

Pud:- Spotted Dick and custard. It dun't look much, but I shared it with Giles - I can't enjoy food if somebody's not eating.

It worked like this:-
Boil water and make the soup.
Boil more water with my home-made liver in a pour 'n store bag and the green beans. Once the beans were ready, use the water to make instant mash.
While I'm eating the main course, boil the Spotted Dick pudding, then use the water to make instant custard.

I have to say, this was much better than celebrating in a cold shed all on my own. I shared my wine and rum and Giles shared his toffee gin and a pleasant evening was had putting the world to rights. Eventually it was past my bed-time (9 0'clock) and I stood up to say goodnight when lights appeared through the window.

Three young lads, (fron Llangynog, they said) with a small dog (Bert) and three more bags of logs. No beers though. They'd been exploring down old mineshafts in the forest. Some of the pictures of the places they'd been made my hair stand on end - down dodgy old ladders and such. I left them to it and went to bed in the room above, but Boy-oh-Boy did they pile the logs on that stove? It was roaring like a jet engine.Their plan for the next day was to see the sunrise over Cader Idris and to that end, they were up and out just after five o'clock. Ah! the exuberance of youth.

I didn't rush to get going next morning - left the bothy at 10:20 and pedalled to the visitor centre for breakfast before climbing up and out across back to my car.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Great adventure, great write up,
cheers your 100th Bam. :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye a really nice write-up that Lu. You do get to some interesting places. Was all set to visit Gwynfynydd mine along with Clogau and Cywarch for my 50th BaM (gold mines, gold anniversary BaM, geddit?) and the first lockdown happened just as I was about to get on the train. Should've gone anyway, ah well. That sounds a most convivial evening with Giles, I guess it's pot luck in a bothy whether you meet someone you can get along with or whether they immediately say something that puts your back up and then you're stuck with each other for the duration.

And obviously congrats on your century! :-bd. Telegram from the Queen on its way I hope. Although I guess it really needs to be your 100th 'official' BaM, so another year to go as if you needed any excuse :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely Lu. We used that track on the RTTS a few years ago. A good way of covering some miles.
May the bridges you burn light your way
frogatthefarriers

RIP wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:26 am
And obviously congrats on your century! :-bd. Telegram from the Queen on its way I hope. Although I guess it really needs to be your 100th 'official' BaM, so another year to go as if you needed any excuse :smile: .
Thanks, but you’re absolutely right - the true century won’t be until April 2023.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ooh - 100.

I'd not thought about trying to count back all my bikepacking nights out. I guess I should discount any nights spent in a campsite / B&B etc. Might be an interesting project for a rainy day.
frogatthefarriers

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm Ooh - 100.

I'd not thought about trying to count back all my bikepacking nights out. I guess I should discount any nights spent in a campsite / B&B etc. Might be an interesting project for a rainy day.
This my way of getting off to sleep, if I’m having trouble dropping off - a Froggy alternative to counting sheep: January 1915 - Minera lead mines, February - Ellesmere canal…. You get the picture? I only count the BaMs and bike based bivvies though. The total's a ton because some rides (eg WRT) had two or three nights out.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

12/12 for Fraser and I for 2021.

We decided we would see in the New Year with a bivvy. We went to our favourite local location, the hobbit huts at Whitelee MTB trails. We pedalled to the huts at 23:45. We watched the New Year fireworks over Glasgow from our bivvy site. Right after midnight, the rain started and the wind got up. Had to get up for a "comfort break" about 5:45 by which time the wind was blowing a hoolie straight through the hut. Our belongings were in danger of being blown away. I suggested to Fraser we should pack up and head home as conditions were very unpleasant. Unfortunately we don't have any pics as we arrived and left in the dark. Here's a pic of our set up from an earlier trip

It's been a mixed bag of bivvies this year. Here are a few pics of the best and worst of 2021

Best (and only) bothy..Burleywhag

Coldest bivvy...

Wetest bivvy...

Best bivvy spot...

Most rustic bivvy...

We have now completed a total of 22 bivvies since we got involved. We will start again in 2022.

Thanks for reading.
BaM 2021
RIP

Post by RIP »

Compliments on involving the offspring for all these outings :-bd . Very ashamed I didn't make more effort with my lad.

Any more for any more, or are we all done?

Just need Phil along to tally up the scoreboard and see who's won the motorboat.

Would you like me to pick up the scoresheet again this year Phil, or even a new incumbent for that matter?

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:52 pm ...see who's won the motorboat.
Anyone on the Winter Event may wish to make a detour to Aberdyfi in search of their prize:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMEt0lEh-wP/
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right then, final tally for 2021....
All 12 months, January to December was completed by (in no particular order):-
Sean_iow
Redefined C
jimmy G
RIP
Shutuplegs
Frog
FBP (me)
Scotroutes
Bearlegged
Raggedstone
Alan63 (and son)
Jose McTavish

Still awaiting reports by Boab and Charlie Cres. Near Miss of the year is Verena as she only missed September.

Well done all, its been a great year for bivvying. I nearly was going to issue awards for stuff like stupidest spot, most food eaten, etc. but I couldn't be bothered and there are many contenders in any case so everyone's a winner. Its well worth having a read of the whole thread as there are some cracking tales :-bd

Happy to keep on doing the tally Reg, or equally happy for you or someone else to take over. I tell you what; the first person to do the first tally at the end of March gets to do them all :grin:

See you on the 2022 BAM thread :-bd :-bd
Last edited by fatbikephil on Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:19 pm Still awaiting reports by Boab and Charlie Cres.
Unfortunately I fell at the final hurdle; two weeks of sinusitis after my November BaM, then COVID while still suffering the sinusitis, then antibiotics for COVID weaponised sinusitis. Given the grotty weather just after Christmas, I didn't want to go out and give the sinusitis a fighting chance, so sat on the sofa and recovered properly.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:23 am
fatbikephil wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:19 pm Still awaiting reports by Boab and Charlie Cres.
Unfortunately I fell at the final hurdle; two weeks of sinusitis after my November BaM, then COVID while still suffering the sinusitis, then antibiotics for COVID weaponised sinusitis. Given the grotty weather just after Christmas, I didn't want to go out and give the sinusitis a fighting chance, so sat on the sofa and recovered properly.
Hard luck Boab, guess that means you'll have to do it this year!
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:55 pm Hard luck Boab, guess that means you'll have to do it this year!

23 out of 24 isn't too bad. Hoping that there will be no garden bivvies in 2022...
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 am Lovely Lu. We used that track on the RTTS a few years ago. A good way of covering some miles.
Hi Stu... how do people that did the full run order badges please?? Something on the shop or a DM to yourself??
Ta :smile:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I fell at the last hurdle. No bivy in December. No excuses, just couldn’t be arsed as I had my daughters at home and the weather was poor show. I weighed it up and realised there was no point just to tick an imaginary box. :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:16 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 am Lovely Lu. We used that track on the RTTS a few years ago. A good way of covering some miles.
Hi Stu... how do people that did the full run order badges please?? Something on the shop or a DM to yourself??
All the deets are in this post Shaf - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16018
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:52 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm Ooh - 100.

This my way of getting off to sleep, if I’m having trouble dropping off - a Froggy alternative to counting sheep: January 1915 - Minera lead mines, February - Ellesmere canal…. You get the picture? I only count the BaMs and bike based bivvies though. The total's a ton because some rides (eg WRT) had two or three nights out.
OK, I've done a count-back and I reckon I'm on 93. That means 100 is in reach!!
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Boab wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:16 pm
All the deets are in this post Shaf - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16018
Ta bob.. money and message sent...
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Need to do some serious catching up with everyone's posts, but work, kids and sleep seem to get in the way of any extraneous internet activity over the past year! The few spare bits of time have been taken up with BAMs wherever I can fit them, so I have managed to complete a full year again. Haven't added to my blog since my last post from June, so in summary:

July

A perfect summer bivy on top of Cairngorm. Left our holiday cottage in Nethybridge at the usual bedtime and went through Ryvoan and straight up the ski road and track along the funicular route to gain the height as quickly as possible. Was rewarded with a perfect still night with no midges and a beautiful early morning with the summit to myself the whole time I lingered. My route home took me around Cairn Lochan before contouring back to the main car park, into the forest and through An Slugain to make a loop of it back to Nethybridge.

Early wake up

Tasty Inversion

Mountains to myself

August

Back to normal in that it was a last minute late night ride out to the summit of a local hill called Greymore. Really windy night, but managed to keep warm hunkered down low in the bivy bag as the temps were still pretty mild. Up bright and early to ride to work with an only slightly creased shirt!

Sneaky wee sunrise before the clouds closed in

Less exposed to the wind than it looks

Packed for my commute

Descending towards Aberdeen

September

Another ride to work bivy with a late start. Everywhere was wet and the forecast was dire, but it was the last night of the month, so out I went. I didn't stray too far from home, settling for a riverside bivy on the Dee, out past Drumoak. The weather dried up for me to get the hammock set up and stayed off most of the night before returning with a vengeance just as I got packed up in the morning, to make sure I was absolutely soaked through by the time I got to work.

Woke at 5am to add the tarp rather than tempt fate any further

Bit of Dee river bank exploring before peeling off to take the Deeside Way back to town

October

With a friend over from Norway and another up the road from Edinburgh, we managed to squeeze in a great starlit bivy in the forest near Balmoral, before having an epic climb up to Lochnagar, with the bikes being picked up and held sideways by the strength of the wind on the way up the ridge. Next, we continued on to Carn a Coire Bhoidheach, past Carn an t Sagairt Mor, before entering Ballochbuie Forest and making our way back to the start, after picking up the stashed camping gear.

Bivy, whisky and friends was a nice combo for a change

Steady climb to the bealach

Cloud cleared for us to have a spot of brunch on Cac Carn Beag out of the wind

A few showers blasted over on our way down

Endless descent to Ballochbuie

November

Another last minute job, the night after Storm Arwen trashed the North East. Dropped my wife's car off for some work in Maud and spent the night navigating snowy frozen roads and numerous tree blockages, whilst passing through various powerless villages making the best of it. After ticking off plenty of VVE squares, I managed to find two trees still standing to throw up the hammock for the night, before heading home with a tasty tailwind and more blizzards for entertainment. Loved every minute of it!

Managed to get this in between bouts of fallen tree climbing at night - shame I didn't spot the power line in the dark!

Cosy from the snow

Shortly before I sacked this section off and retreated to the road

One of a million icy/snowy road shots - studded tyres earned their keep on this ride

December

Didn't manage to free myself for a solstice bivy ride, so went for it between Christmas and New Year in the freakishly mild weather window. Rode out past Dinnet o Muir to set up in the forest nearby, but spent ages trying to find a spot that had some shelter from the strong winds, as the hammock kept turning into a parachute every time I tried to sling it. Mince pie and a beer for supper, followed by a pleasant ride back, ticking off a few VVE squares on the way.

Potarch Bridge by night

Set an alarm for 6am to put up the tarp after the wind dropped and the rain was supposed to come. Not required in the end

Still windy, but 11 degrees - weird winter bivy!

Now I've settled my account, that takes me to 12/12 for the year and 48 months in a row - a long way off 100! Will attempt to try and keep up with the posts better this new year and finally order a badge too :grin: