Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by RIP »

Nice one there 'Legs. We seem to have gone overboard in the other direction from ultralight shelters :-bd . Glad we don't have to carry our marquees with us. Yours looked a lot more homely than ours - is that a vase of flowers I spot on the bedside barrel?!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

All this talk of marquees... On Saturday night, while returning up The Icknield Way, I passed what can only be described as a three peak Circus Big Top, in a field, in the middle of nowhere, it wasn't there the night before. I seriously considered moving in for further investigation and utilisation*. However, they'd only attached some of the side walls and they were snapping badly in the wind, so I decided to pass. Looking on Google maps, it would appear to be the site of various festivals, so maybe there's something on there this weekend... :shrug:

https://tickets.anthroposfestival.org/ (Near London my arse!)
https://www.warmupfestival.co.uk/

* It also crossed my mind that the people who were putting it up, might be sleeping nearby, and not take too kindly to a crusty bikepacker squatting for the night...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

RIP wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:21 am Glad we don't have to carry our marquees with us.
I now think of pub marquees as a kind of canvas bothy. Not to be relied upon but shelter for those in need, and you never know who you might end up sharing it with!

RIP wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:21 am is that a vase of flowers I spot on the bedside barrel?!
Indeed, there was also a kind of coconut matting which I was completely oblivious to until morning. Very comfortable, and the picnic benches nearby make a most agreeable storage/changing area. Much easier than leaning against a tree.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Finally getting round to posting a few pics of our September BaM. We decided we would go back to Tentsmuir Forest, a location we had been to a couple of years ago. We decided we would do a short trip as Fraser had a full on weekend prior to our trip.

On the Saturday, we made the trip through to Inch Park in Edinburgh for the 1st cyclo-cross race of the season. Fraser is only 13, but per BC rules, he now competes in the U16 category. This was a big step up in standard. He finished the race and got and idea of the levels required.

Sunday was another full on day. Fraser had a 4 hour cyclo-cross training session at Callender Park, Falkirk. I made the most of the time and went for a ride along the Great North Trail/John Muir Way to Linlithgow and back. It was a beautiful day for a ride.

After training was over, we drove up to Tayport. We went to the chippy for tea then headed out on a nice ride in the late evening.

The weather forecast said there would be a 13% chance of rain. Wrong!!. Thanks to veloviewer, we found our camping spot from 2 years ago. Got the tent up and went for a wander up the sand dunes to look at the lights over to Broughty Ferry. During the night the rain came down in torrents. By the morning, we abandoned plans to ride the trails and packed up our soggy gear and returned to the car. You can tell from Fraser's face it wasn't enjoyable.

Without doubt, this was the most miserable and wet Bam we had experienced so far. Call it character building.

That's us 9/9 for 2021.
BaM 2021
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
At least Tentsmuir is well drained thanks to the sand!
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:41 pm :-bd
At least Tentsmuir is well drained thanks to the sand!
Agreed. It's a great spot.
BaM 2021
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Nice one Alan (and the wee man). I've been there a couple of times on the fat bike but your report has reminded me I must get there for a BAM someday.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JimmyG wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:37 pm Nice one Alan (and the wee man). I've been there a couple of times on the fat bike but your report has reminded me I must get there for a BAM someday.
Funnily enough so was I after seeing that. Not made it over this year as its been mobbed over the summer. Good shout for the colder months though :YMDAYDREAM:
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:20 pm
JimmyG wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:37 pm Nice one Alan (and the wee man). I've been there a couple of times on the fat bike but your report has reminded me I must get there for a BAM someday.
Funnily enough so was I after seeing that. Not made it over this year as its been mobbed over the summer. Good shout for the colder months though :YMDAYDREAM:
I'm pleased we have given you some form of inspiration. :-bd
BaM 2021
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Alan: I was orienteering in Tentsmuir back in the 80's, I always enjoyed that sort of terrain. I noticed the NCN1 route marker on your pics and I have a plan to ride that section sometime and must see if I can combine with a bivvy. Enjoying following your bam progress with your son.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mrs S is away for the night so I escaped for a local(ish) bivvy. Only 20-odd km to get there but it's a spot up the Dulnain I've passed on many occasions and always thought it looked ideal. It turns out that I was almost right. It was only spoilt by the fact that a herd of cattle had obviously been in it for a while and many of the best pitches were unusable due to cow-droppings. Anyway, I scoped about a bit and found a good spot near the river. I was soon pitched, ate and enjoyed a wee can of ale as I settled in for the night. It had forecast to drop below 0C but actually didn't get below about 3C so the quilt I'd taken for additional warmth wasn't necessary.

I had a pretty relaxed coffee at breakfast (Percol Americano coffee bags btw - really very good),then packed up and headed home.

A dusting of snow on the mountains now. I wonder if that's the start of something or if it'll disappear before "proper" winter?

RIP

Post by RIP »

Very chilled there Colin. Hmm, I think I might nip out for an emergency bivvy tonight as family stuff is getting a bit fraught and I don't want to get caught out later. Certainly no snow here, and no rain either which is miraculous given my record. Don't see why I should feel guilty about ONE dry BaM this year though. Probably ought to show a bit of solidarity with the 200/300-ers presumably suffering out there too. Good luck, people.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Live (Very Low-Key) BaM In Progress.

Across the park, down the High St, along the riverside path, up the posh nobs road, into the country park. One fox, one badger, one owl. New spot found in some secluded conifers.

Gatewood up, snack out - Northern Star and some Nairn's cheese oatcakes. Was going to use the faithful flat tarp - last deployed in the Peaks in April when all my water froze - but no lines on it for some reason. Couldn't be bothered to get knotted, so Gatewood it is.

I shall nod off thinking of those hardy souls battling it out in mid-Wales. One salutes you.

10/10, 10/12, 69/69

R

Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chocolate Caramel Biscuit?

I was drinking Gallus Porter last night :-bd

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

BAM oct in progress. I always think about Colins philosophy of not enjoying the views. Plus, night is for sleep....

Another one (maybe 4th) without a shelter (using it as my pillow. Sleeping on a slope so need to lie still or I'll be off down the hill...
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:38 pm Chocolate Caramel Biscuit?
Nah, Nairn's Cheese Biscuit. Oh, hang on, I see.. :wink:

That porter looks nice. Oh Mr Porter, what shall I do.....

Forgot the obligatory pic of a BB22 in full cry. Well I say cry, more 'gentle tears'... a lovely sound compared to that raucous jarring roar from a gas stove... not used one of them for years...

Forgotten how big the Gatewood footprint is. Getting the doors peg far enough out to lift the porch properly takes a fair bit of ground. Getting this wrong results in the two door panels hanging loosely and flapping around. Had to tie it to a low branch instead this time. Maybe I need a 2' long peg. Flat tarp is much more compact in area - longer and narrower I suppose.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 am Sleeping on a slope
That's the only thing (*) I can't stand at a spot.

(*) well obviously I can't stand looking out of my tarp to see a gigantic acid-slavering chromium-toothed xenomorph bearing down on me in the moonlight either, but presumably that's taken as read.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, it's difficult to achieve a good savasna when you're tensing a buttock trying to avoid rolling into a river.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:08 pm Yeah, it's difficult to achieve a good savasna when you're tensing a buttock trying to avoid rolling into a river.
Quite impressed with myself there Colin... First I lay with feet sloping down and boots/bike as a stopper. Woke up about 10 mins later all feeling mangled. Then lay the mat sideways to the slope and my boots as the stopper/brake to the sloping side. Managed 4 hours solid and only woke up to the rain (not slipping down the little gorge into thw singletrack)...

BAM-Oct-Done...

Am still alive so that can only be a good thing. Rides up but maps hidden :grin:
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:12 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:08 pm Yeah, it's difficult to achieve a good savasna when you're tensing a buttock trying to avoid rolling into a river.
Quite impressed with myself there Colin... First I lay with feet sloping down and boots/bike as a stopper. Woke up about 10 mins later all feeling mangled. Then lay the mat sideways to the slope and my boots as the stopper/brake to the sloping side. Managed 4 hours solid and only woke up to the rain (not slipping down the little gorge into thw singletrack)...

BAM-Oct-Done...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

poo trowel Anchor and rigging required? :-bd

At least your not here.... X_X :-O
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If I go for a really long bike ride then 'bivvy' in the back of the car does that count? :???:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:34 pm If I go for a really long bike ride then 'bivvy' in the back of the car does that count? :???:
Didn't when I did that in 2018 :sad:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:04 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:34 pm If I go for a really long bike ride then 'bivvy' in the back of the car does that count? :???:
What if it's somebody else's car I wonder?

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am
whitestone wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:04 pm
What if it's somebody else's car I wonder?
I think that would be treated like kipping in someone else's back garden so yes!