Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Raggedstone

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Raggedstone »

I think as Reg managed to provide us with two days of heavy rain and the first couple of hours of Wednesday morning also included a certain amount of moisture which stopped as soon as Verena joined us I think that she does indeed have greater powers
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yay!!!

I have to say, apart from my Pembrokeshire weekend, I've so far been exceptionally blessed with weather whenever I've been bikepacking, so maybe it is true that I have certain higher powers...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:-bd
Verena wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:40 am Yay!!!

I have to say, apart from my Pembrokeshire weekend, I've so far been exceptionally blessed with weather whenever I've been bikepacking, so maybe it is true that I have certain higher powers...
Outdoor & Weather Goddess , beats Domestic Goddess any day! :-bd

On the subject of deities, I should do my diety weigh in.. :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 am I shouldn't worry too much, Phil's one of the culprits! :lol:
I actually forgot and nearly put my old name up....

Come on Reg et al we are eagerly awaiting your tale!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am :-bd

Attachments
IMG_01102021_105902_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_01102021_105902_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am :-bd

weather forecast
Attachments
IMG_01102021_105902_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_01102021_105902_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:13 am
Bearlegged wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 am I shouldn't worry too much, Phil's one of the culprits! :lol:
I actually forgot and nearly put my old name up....

Come on Reg et al we are eagerly awaiting your tale!
Aye, sorry peeps, domestic hoo-hahs currently taking precedence. Normal service resumed asap etc etc.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Normal?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:43 pmNormal?
It's all relative...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

A late September entry. I’ve had a fair of domestic and personal admin stuff going on this week so I’ve struggled to put finger to keyboard. Better late than never, though, here goes…

On the morning of Friday 24th September, a couple of long-time cycling buddies and I departed Inverness with no real fixed ambitions other than to ride as much of the Badger Divide route as time (and the weather, more of that later) permitted. We’d each agreed that steady and relaxed was the way we’d approach it. In the event we covered the ground at a decent enough pace but, to be honest, we probably dallied too long in the various eateries we encountered along the way.

The bikes, etc: I rode my Giant Anthem carbon hardtail with Apidura bags. Pal No 1 opted for his Lamere lightweight carbon fat bike with Lauf forks. Bags were a mix of Crikey, how much and Restrap. Pal No 2 used his singlespeed steel Genesis Croix de Fer with a Carradice saddle bag, Miss Grape frame bag and a dry bag Voile-strapped to the bars. Rather him than me with the singlespeed tactic but he did incredibly well and where he was reduced to walking up the steeper hills, so was I! Our fat friend, however, pootled up most of the hills on his 1 x system with a 50T bottom gear. Throughout the hillier parts of the ride I found myself constantly thinking, “I need some of that!”

As forecast, we encountered a headwind most of the way. Amongst the forested sections of the Great Glen Way this wasn’t much of a problem although on the more exposed sections farther south it did become a bit of a grind at times.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

After spending too long at the Abriachan Eco camp site and café (the sun was out at the time and the coffee and cake were tasty), we eventually reached Fort Augustus in darkness, just in time to catch the chip shop before it closed. Fish and chips all round, seeing as you’re wondering.

That night we camped on the shore of Loch Ness.

The Corrieyairack Pass: I’d be lying if I said I enjoyed the long slog to the top but I certainly did enjoy the well-earned descent, including the renowned multiple hairpins section.

On the night of Day 2 we bivvied on the northeast corner of Loch Ossian where I’d camped on my own exactly two years ago. It had remained windy all day and the surrounding fir trees and rhododendron bushes provided welcome shelter. Next morning we packed and rode up to Corrour Station for the obligatory photos. Currently the station restaurant is advertising that they’re closed on Sundays due to the on-going Sunday rail strike up that way. However, one of our number, spying the open kitchen door, stuck his head in and asked if they were in fact open. The answer was “Not for hot food but we’d be happy to provide coffee and cakes, etc.” At this point it was windy with a light drizzle so this unexpected opportunity to get food, shelter and the electronics recharged was very welcome indeed.

On the night of Day 3 we stayed in the Kilvrecht forest campsite near the south shore of Loch Rannoch. This late in the season, it wasn’t busy but nearly all the other occupants were in campers or caravans, something they’d have been mighty glad of when the rain arrived that night around 10 and continued incessantly until around midday the following day.

The afore-mentioned rain proved too much for Croix de Fer guy’s tarp as, wind-driven, it got underneath. Fortunately, he had a bivvy bag, too, but his sleeping mat was saturated. My SMD Lunar Solo held up well initially but eventually the rain got so heavy that it started to penetrate in the form of a fine mist which rendered my sleeping bag damp on the outside although at least I remained dry inside. The 'fat' member of our crew had a Big Agnes double-skinned tent and fared rather better but, not having a ground sheet/footprint, the saturated ground eventually soaked up through his tent floor. With the forecast predicting more of the same weather for at least the next day, we unanimously agreed to call it a day and head along the roads to Pitlochry where we could catch the train back to Edinburgh.

We all agreed that, despite the rain towards the end, it had been a fun trip. The trails (bone dry throughout, incidentally) and scenery were every bit as impressive as advertised. After the heavy rain, though, anyone riding those same trails the following week would tell a different tail, I'm sure. I’m not sure if I’ll go back to attempt the whole route next year but I do plan on riding the remaining sections that we didn’t get to see on this occasion.

That’s 9 from 9 BAMs this year and 45 consecutive months.
Last edited by JimmyG on Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Jimmy, list updated!
I bumped into someone doing the BD when I was out on my 200 mile circuit at the beginning of the month. Looked like she had dry trails, dry weather and a gentle north easterly all trip!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Cheers Phil. Re the weather: Ye pays yer money and ye takes yer chances eh! :lol:
Last edited by JimmyG on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

JimmyG wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:46 pm Ye pay yer money and ye take yer chances eh! :lol:
A good motto. Compliments on handling that rain on the third night.

Boab

Post by Boab »

We headed out after the early morning rain on Friday, and headed for Knettishall Heath.

We turned around and made it passed Letchworth for an overnight stop.

Continuing in the morning, we made it to Chinnor in the early afternoon, looking like a drowned rat.

Given the conditions, progress was slow, so we stopped for a second night near Ashwell.

More later, in the other thread...

2021 BaM: 10/10
Streak: 22
Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/6056707253
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Feeling that I have some making up to do, after my September BAM failure, I thought it would be good to kick off the winter bivvy season in style, and fulfil one my childhood dreams by spending the night on a roundabout :shock: . I can't find my post from last year, but basically when I was in my teens, I used to have thoughts along the lines of our "living a meagre existence so you don't have to work" thread here, except it wasn't so much work I didn't fancy, it was more that I didn't want to be part of the "normal" capitalist system... yeah I know :roll: , but I was young, I'm sure we've all been there.... So I wondered if it was possible to live on a traffic island....

Anyway, having two fine roundabouts to choose from at either end of the Brecon bypass I chose the one furthest from me, at the Abergavenny end, having scouted it for brambles at the weekend. A gentle pootle along the canal to get there, in what was only very light rain for a change.

ImageIMG_20211004_063223 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Found my nice, flat, bramble free, ivy carpetted spot near the middle, and it was really cozy, knowing that I could see out but passing cars couldn't see in.
Stealth was obviously the name of the game, so I opted for just the bivvy bag, and no head torch or lights, which wasn't a problem at all with the street lights all around me.

Soon after settling it started raining properly, and carried on doing that all night - very pleased though with how all my gear fared, and I was warm and cozy and slept really surprisingly well. Till 4 am, when I was not so much fed up with the rain and wanting to go home, but just wide awake! If I'd been a bit better prepared clothing wise, I could've gone for a proper bike ride....
But I wasn't so I thought it was a good opportunity to practice making a brew in the dark - all well until the inevitable happened and I tipped the pot over, having invested a good 3/4 of all my water in that cup of coffee, and having mislaid my proper coffee :roll: So it was a very small cup of my last sachet of 3 in 1, yuk, never buying that again.
ImageIMG_20211004_063137 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20211004_063120 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Just sat there in the rain propped up against a tree till five, which was really quite lovely.
ImageIMG_20211004_063104 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Then went for another pootle along the canal to pass the time
ImageIMG_20211004_063027 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

No bikepacking trip is complete of course without a pilgrimage to a spar (it is one, honest, it just doesn't show in the photo), so I got a coffee and a giant chocolate muffin, and loitered about for a bit enjoying how dark and quiet the streets were, before eventually going home.

ImageIMG_20211004_063044 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Last edited by Verena on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh no. I fear you may have started something. If there's a sudden rush to roundabout-bagging, it'll be your fault. There is only one near me though and it's not big enough.

And it's Autumn still. No need to hasten the seasons along 😉
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:51 am aving mislaid my proper coffee :roll: So it was a very small cup of my last sachet of 3 in 1, yuk, never buying that again.
well done, They do it in sachet as well as cans?
.. But wouldnt that have be better on your chain, deary?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:51 am
No bikepacking trip is complete of course without a pilgrimage to a spar (it is one, honest, it just doesn't show in the photo), so I got a coffee and a giant chocolate muffin, and loitered about for a bit enjoying how dark and quiet the streets were, before eventually going home.

ImageIMG_20211004_063044 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
You probably know this but I remind everyone..
"SPAR, originally DESPAR, is a Dutch multinational franchise... consists of more than 13,320 stores in 48 countries. The company's name is an acronym of the slogan "Door Eendrachtig Samenwerken Profiteren Allen Regelmatig", which was used by van Well to describe the brand and translates as "Everyone works better together".

Now you'll all sleep better in your ditches for knowing that.
I'll pack my anorak away
Who's going to 1st to to bag all the spar stores?
RIP

Post by RIP »

DESPAR
Only one vowel missing from that to describe the state I often arrive in, desperate (or possibly DESPARate) for sustenance and supplies.

Verena, I think your BaM there was magic, Zebedee would be proud! On the A40 as well, your earplugs must have been industrial strength. To top it one would have to choose a roundabout on an Ax road, now that you've ticked off an Axx road. Maybe Scotch Corner on the A1??

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've often thought that the ledges under motorway bridges would make nice dry spots, albeit noisy ones :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm I've often thought that the ledges under motorway bridges would make nice dry spots, albeit noisy ones :wink:
Nick Crane tried that on the A50 dual-carriageway in 2 Degrees West. He lasted about ten minutes before bailing and being taken in by a kindly old lady for whisky and sandwiches by the fire!

Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm I've often thought that the ledges under motorway bridges would make nice dry spots, albeit noisy ones :wink:
Don't worry, got one of those on my list :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:06 pm your earplugs must have been industrial strength
Let's just say there wasn't much evidence of that HGV driver shortage :lol:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I bivvied under a bridge on the A66 when I was 14 or 15. I'd been backpacking in the northern fells and nobody would give a smelly teenager a lift as I tried to hitch back to Workington. I had a surprisingly pleasant night and walked the rest of the way home in the morning.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Headed out for October BAM on Saturday morning.
Well, I started then had a coffee, still raining. Made lunch, still raining, fitted new bottom bracket, still raining, booked somewhere to stay on Friday night for BB200, still raining. At around 6pm I realised the pub I was aiming for would stop serving food soon enough so I got all togged up and headed out. Of course it’s never as bad as it seems from indoors and I made it to the pub in around and hour and a half of familiar bridlebogs and slippery roots.
I settled in to a delicious dinner, read some pages of my book which I had taken photos of :wink: and worked my way through the available ales. This pub is also a brewery…

I flicked onto here and read up about the RPN tour, cracking write up from Reg and Co. As the pub emptied and my glass kept refilling itself, I had a thought. No, not that I should ride on out to Cocking, but that the wind and rain hasn’t eased off and how unpleasant it could be in the hammock tonight aand the pub still had a one sided marquee erected in the garden. Taking full inspiration from the RPN, I plucked up the courage to ask the owner if I could perhaps please maybe kindly sleep in their marquee. They obliged, fortunately!

Their ales really are very good and plentiful so a pleasant nights sleep if a little draughty, but at least it was dry.

Not wanting to out stay my welcome I packed up at first light and headed out onto the Downs. Carrying the bags naturally attracted questions from other riders, nice to chat to a few.

Enjoyable breakfast at the QECP cafe. Didn’t think I’d be capable of much after that lot but actually managed to get up my nemesis hill (Butser) for the first time so maybe it helped! No need to practice HAB :grin:

Good views from the top though.

The weather has gone full cycle by the time I got home early afternoon, the morning sunshine had given way back into showers. I raided the Sunday market for lunch - halloumi gyros :-bd

10/10 done for me. All in all a very pleasant affair and nice to get a bit of a longer ride in the next day. I mostly wanted to get October in early so that it doesn’t play on my mind during the BB200 that I need to get a BAM done and get tempted into stopping…… :shock:
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.