Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Bearlegged »

After a good run of bivvies with companions, last night was just
me, myself and I
. I think this contributed to a bit of reluctance to leave the house, a situation further compounded by needing lights for the first time in a while. Still, once on my way I felt a bit better about things, and seeing a herd of deer and a barn owl really lifted my spirits too.

I was making for a little cave that a friend had tipped me off about, but as I headed up the track towards it, I found myself following a few lads on foot. It seems like they were out for a drink and/or a smoke, and while they all seemed perfectly friendly, I didn't feel like drawing attention to myself so carried on a bit further in search of alternative accommodation. Eventually I found a bit of a gully that provided enough shelter from the breeze, and set camp. The Somewhere Between 8 and 12 Stove fired up, and I looked up at an unexpectedly starry sky as my Pot Noodle soaked its way to an edible texture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTHjy6YsTOc/

A decent series of naps followed, and I woke to a slightly hazy morning. Following breakfast and a brew, I retraced my steps to scope out the cave I'd passed up on last night. It seemed ok, though maybe a bit in view of the house below. One for a stealthy approach and minimal headtorches methinks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTHtedosae2/

Spot noted for future adventures, I then wended my way back past the wary eyes of the locals to Sheffield, hopefully via a bacon sammich. Alas, I reached the first and second cafés far too early, and I was back within the city boundaries before I found my second breakfast. On the upside, the sun was now burning off the haze, and I found a nice cricket pitch to laze on.

2021 BAM 8/12
2021 total bivvies 10
Current streak (months) 33
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Jimmy, would that be a potential Scottish section Winter / Spring bivvy location?
Landslide - any word from Trepid Explorer recently, she has been absent from here since the Highland Trail - we're all missing her epic tales!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Trep's been having a bit of a rest since the HT and busy at work, but is now back in training for (I think) the Dirty Reiver.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

htrider wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:22 pm Jimmy, would that be a potential Scottish section Winter / Spring bivvy location?
Nice idea Phil but sorry... I assured my mate beforehand that I'd be discreet re the location so as not to attract any undue attention to this quiet spot. In any case, he spends every weekend down there (lots of work to be getting on with) hence ruling it out as a venue for a Scottish group meet.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JimmyG wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:49 am
htrider wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:22 pm Jimmy, would that be a potential Scottish section Winter / Spring bivvy location?
Nice idea Phil but sorry... I assured my mate beforehand that I'd be discreet re the location so as not to attract any undue attention to this quiet spot. In any case, he spends every weekend down there (lots of work to be getting on with) hence ruling it out as a venue for a Scottish group meet.
No probs Jimmy. It's time to start thinking of a winter bivvy venue however so I'll put my thinking cap on.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

[/quote]No probs Jimmy. It's time to start thinking of a winter bivvy venue however so I'll put my thinking cap on.
[/quote]

One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: No probs Jimmy. It's time to start thinking of a winter bivvy venue.
Oh Lordy, already? :o . Best time of the year. Peak District anyone?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

8/8 for Fraser and I this year. Fraser was keen to back to the bothies but I wasn't so sure as I thought they may be rammed. Did a bit of research and came up with Burleywhag bothy. It has a reputation for being quiet and not seeing much footfall. On further research I found Borderer's route from Durisdeer to the bothy. Our last bothy trip was to Kettleton Byre from Durisdeer in August 2019 so we could extend our VV tile leg. Unfortunately my long term knee problem flared up during the week so I wasn't keen on going too far.

Instead, we parked near Mitchellslacks farm and road in to the bothy, a ride of about 3 miles. It was dark when we got to the bothy so I don't have any pics. On arriving, we found we had the bothy to ourselves. The area has a great reputation for dark skies and we were treated to an amazing show of bright stars and shooting stars.

We woke up in the morning to beautiful blue skies.

After breakfast, we got a chance to see the hills we didn't see on the way in. The first part of the track is a bit boggy but rideable.

I got the chance to have a look at a couple of Donalds I have bagged yet. Gana and Earncraig hills are in the background.

Looking south

After the bog, the track improved meaning we got back to the car quickly.

As we were in the area, Fraser was keen to ride at Ae 7 Stanes bike park. As my knee had held up, it was a great idea. We spent the rest of the day riding the blue and some of the red trails. We had a great time in very hot weather.

We only have 1 free weekend in September so we need to be on the ball to keep our run going. Thanks for reading.
BaM 2021
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:47 am Peak District anyone?
👀
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:47 am Oh Lordy, already? :o . Best time of the year. Peak District anyone?
I was hoping for a tour of the sights around Leighton Buzzard
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Pressed for time, are you?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Maybe both! :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:17 pm Pressed for time, are you?
:wink:

ergaster

Post by ergaster »

Flying solo last night and light was starting to fade when I headed out so I decided to head for the coast, about three miles away, hoping to just crash in a hole or something.

K.I.S.S.

Tallyho!

A short jaunt (mostly uphill) later with the light all but gone I found my inn.

Alas, no sunset tonight.

That'll do donkey. That'll do.

Supper then bed!

Sunup gave me a chance to explore my accommodation more fully.

Hotel Hillside comes with a sea view...

...an inclusive clientele policy...

...flowers in every room and en-suites everywhere.

Breakfast of champions!

What a stunning place to wake up.

On the way home I spotted a potential future bivy spot...
...and another...
..and...maybe not.

Really not much to say about this one folks hence all the pics instead.
“‘What day is it?’ asked Pooh.
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favourite day,’ said Pooh.”
ergaster

Post by ergaster »

Alan63 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:19 pm ... It was dark when we got to the bothy so I don't have any pics.
It looks utterly gorgeous! Fantastic pics :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Top stuff. Worth considering shunting a bit more kit out the back (seatpack/harness) to balance the front end. Maybe you already have and it was just a quickie outing so you bunged it all up front to save time, in which case: :smile: . What've you shoved where, out of interest? I like the caged pot noodle for speedy deployment :smile: .

ergaster

Post by ergaster »

I don't have any purpose bike bags just yet. Everything is lashed on. I tried moving stuff around and struggled to get clearance. The biggest bag has my sleeping bag, mat and bivy all rolled up and stuffed in a bigger size sleeping bag stuff sack. The green bag has cooking kit, the orange socks and leggings. The seat bag has bike repair kit. The top tube bag has food and toiletries.

I'm going to have a session just trying different configurations as I expect I'll need more gear as it gets colder. I'm going to trim all my cables and hoses as they are making it difficult to attach stuff while remaining functional. I'm really enjoying trying to travel as light as I can. It was pretty cold first thing this morning though so I'd not want to go any leaner on the layers.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Boab

Post by Boab »

I'd considered doing a quick hyper-local bivvy at the start of the month, before being off work for two weeks holiday. I didn't managed to sneak one in though, so it was yet another last gasp effort this month. For a change, I managed to head out shortly after dinner, while it was still light. This meant I could head a bit further away, but still arrive at a sensible time for some proper sleep.

The light didn't last long, not helped by the thick grey cloud. I really need to sort out my lighting, as the battery pack for my MTB Batteries Lumen800 is knackered, and I can only run it on 25% power or it dies after about 15 minutes.It would be nice to be able barrel down familiar bridleways and byways in the dark, rather than having to slowly pick my way along.

After a quick stop at Maglia Rosso to fill up all my water bottles from their outside tap, it was off to a nearby bridleway to find somewhere to pitch the tent. The location I had in mind was near a bench, with a bit of a view, which would be perfect for eating breakfast. I was slightly worried about some nearby properties, but when I got there, I couldn't see any lights from the places I was worried about. What I could see though, was a static light off to the left, and loads of lights from what looked like a combine harvester, which after a few minutes included a flashing amber beacon. I did consider continuing along my route to the next bridleway a few miles away, as it has a spot I wouldn't mind using in the future. After a bit of swithering, I decided to stay where I was, but as my preferred spot was in full view of all the unexpected lights, I backtracked a bit and found a spot behind a hedge and in a small wood.

Tent up, beer opened, I started to strip off and get into my sleeping kit. It wasn't exactly peaceful, with the wind making for a load of tree noise, the distant sounds of the combine and a nearby deer barking away. Then I started to hear some grunting noises outside the tent, which were slowly getting louder. It was a toss up between going out to investigate, or hiding in terror under my quilt, given I was half naked, the quilt it was. Thankfully the grunting got quieter and I was tired enough that I dropped off without too much effort.

I woke multiple times throughout the night, and it took a while to register that it was surprising light inside the tent. I'd set my alarm for 05:30, but it shouldn't have been quite this bright, so I checked my phone, to find I'd slept through my alarm and it was 06:45, oops. One of the benefits of being totally deaf in one ear, is it's easy to block out noise when trying to get to sleep, the downside is that it can also block out an alarm if I'm still sleeping on that side when it goes off. Once up and out of the tent, and all packed away, it was time to sit on the bench and eat breakfast. Or it would've been if the bench hadn't seen soaking wet, due to the drizzle. I say drizzle, with it was more like being inside a cloud, rather than proper rain; this seems to have been a feature this year, along with the wind always coming from the wrong direction to normal.

The plan had been to stop at the SPAR in Glemsford, but as I'd just had breakfast, and had seven trail bars in the top tube bag, I cycled on by, which turned out to be a mistake. I figured I could divert into Sudbury, or swing into Great Bardfield and pick up supplies later in the day. I was heading for Middleton and a byway I've only cycled once before, it's an absolute peach and I should head down this way more often. In parts it's reminiscent if a holloway, with the track well below the surrounding land; it does make you wonder what has travelled along it before you.

It's getting to that time of year where various bridleways become uncyclable for a bit. At least it was dry and dusty, rather than a muddy slog fest.

While down this way, it would've been rude not to cycle through the Bulmer Brick & Tile Co Ltd brickworks again. Evidently that's a coal burning, down draught kiln.

Back onto slightly more familiar bridleways and byways, I worked my way towards Great Yeldham, where I stopped to fill up my water bottle from a stable block tap at the Poole Farm Feed Centre. The next bridleway was in a proper state, it's gradually been getting worse and worse over the last eighteen months or so, but with multiple trees down, it's now a proper ball ache.

Technically the bridleway splits at the other end, either going straight on over a field, or turning left and heading for Delvin End, and a small grass airstrip. I've never seen the bridleway over the field, as it's always been full of crops. It's probably an indication of how few times I've been down this way this year, but ploughing straight over the field was an opportunity too good to miss. I doubt I'll go that way again, at least not a a skinny tyre, fully ridged bike. I'm surprised I have all my fillings...

When I was first coming up with a potential route, I'd headed back towards home at this point, on familiar trails. I threw that away though and decided to go an explore a bit further South. I'm glad I did, as I found myself on some superb gravel tracks, as well as a few naggery bridleways. I did pop out onto a main road at one point, to find The Blue Egg, which has a café called Knead Food. Shame the whole place was closed, as I could really have done with a cake or two.

It was now time to turn for home, but reality was biting and I knew I wouldn't make it without stopping for some more food. Obviously the route I'd planned didn't take me anywhere near anywhere that had a petrol station, let alone a shop.

I could feel a bonk coming on, so I shovelled everything I has left into my face, and headed for Saffron Walden and the Tesco petrol station. One Marathon, a packet of Peanut M&Ms and a can of Red Bull later, I was on my way home.

I've really got to sort out my nutrition, as I seem to be making the same mistake, time and time again. I know the Strava calories figure is widely inaccurate, but I must've had at least a 2,000 calorie deficit, if not 3,000, and am still suffering after stuffing my face when I got home. With the Moors 100 and another long BaM ride before the BB220, I'm going to have to have change something.

2021 BaM: 8/8
Streak: 20
Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/5877009187
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Love the hollow way and the brickworks!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:29 pm Love the hollow way and the brickworks!
Just going to say exactly that :-bd . A real gem that brickworks. Almost like a "living museum" type of place.

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In the nick of time Alhamdulillah (all praise to God). If I didn't get it done on a work night, or after a night-work I doubt I'd get the 8th consecutive done. So after a little declaration on here hoping some might encourage me on, it worked, and I thought the plan through.

August BAM had always meant to be a Way of the Roses attempt so may aswell grab that route on the way home. Especially since it goes through the village where I work (some class it as quite alot more, but it is a village... just glorified with city walls and all).

All packed, I had to leave the actual bivy behind. So the plan very much depended on there being some fair weather.

Morning came and I popped in the canteen to try and get breakfast. Only bacon available as they can't quite get that some folks just don't eat it. Moreso they can't actually even understand why I don't like the bacon splashed on my breakkie. Long term moan, I'll be here all day. Anyway, only eggs available for wierdos like myself. So I politely declined and went and got packed.

Plan was simple, to get on the Way of the Roses and then find somewhere to sleep. Preferably where I'd not get run over by a farmers truck nor have my bike nicked. Eventually I found this tree just off the road. Turned out it was a perfect train spotting spot. Unsure whether they were spotting me, or me them. I went to sleep after exploring the hollow of it and having lukewarm rehydrated cousCous! The gas had kinda run out for the stove.

The rest as they say, is history. Slept from about 0930 til about 1330. Targeted Bouroughbridge after that and then headed south to Harrogate and train towards home.

8 of 8 done... last 3 consecutive without any form of bivy bag or tent...

Thanks again folks :-bd (and special mention Reg)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair play Sir. Slept inside a tree if I've interpreted that correctly. Must be a first for Here :smile: .

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:01 pm Fair play Sir. Slept inside a tree if I've interpreted that correctly. Must be a first for Here :smile: .
Never thought of that Reg. Just took pictures of the Holloway instead. Though I doubt I'd have fit :smile:

Come to think of it these could be referred as BAM in broad day light (though you'd need a busy 13H night shift prior to work up an appetite...