Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by Rapideye »

Hi All, thought I’d post about my 1st overnighter last Friday. Had been trying to get out for the last few weeks but for one reason or another, something always came up.

I’d been scouting for a decent sport for a while now and came across a lake about a mile or so from my house that was in amongst a wood. It didn’t look like many people went in there and isn’t obvious from nearby trails/dog walking routes. There are big scary signs around warning people off. I was pretty sure that, once in, that the chances of being uncovered were small.

I arrived at about 20.30 and found a spot by the lake. I had to make my way through bushes to get there so it was quite secluded. While setting-up the tent, the pitch was a bit tight due to me trying to set it back from the water so to not be so obvious if anyone was across the other site. I could have pitched it better but it would do. There was no wind to worry about.

By the time I was set-up, it was about 21.30-22.00 and dark, so I gave the planned hot chocolate a miss and had a beer instead. I could hear the odd noise from one creature or another and apart from a dog bark some way away, it was quite settled. I’d relaxed as I’d been there for a bit without being attacked by machete-yielding madmen. I got my head down around 23.00.

It was a fitful night sleep but probably expected. I’d been woken a few times by a noisy something or other but otherwise it was ok. At about 5.20, I’d started to dream about being in a flooded street where people were wading around with boats. Strange. As I started to wake-up I realised that the splashing was coming from the lake. I thought it might be a dog and waited for it to come to the tent to investigate. Soon I realised it wasn’t a dog and on exiting from the tent and making my way to the water’s edge, found 3 deer on the other side of the lake. The splashing was them wading trough the water within 10m of the tent. They saw me, stared for 30 secs or so before climbing up the bank and over the other side. 5 mins later I heard a quite aggressive sort of half-bark/grunting on my side of the lake maybe about 30-50m away. I think they’d maybe made their way around the lake and were making their displeasure of me being there clear. I didn’t think Dear carry axes to attack but I was wondering at the likely-hood of a deer attacking…is that a thing? Eventually, they left me be and although the noise started again about a 1/2hr later, all was quiet.

As I was awake, I thought I’d have a hot chocolate, bland porridge and pack-up and make an early start out. Getting out unseen, I went for a 10-12m ride along a bike trail before heading home. On the way I spotted some wildlife including a muntjac deer and a decent sized bird that flew about 30m in front of me for 30s or so before it soared away. It looked pretty cool. I also passed a couple of people and another early morning cylist.

All-in-all, a good first-nighter. Hopefully, next time it’ll be a beach side camp.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Most excellent!

Hearing and seeing other animals is always a joy.
RIP

Post by RIP »

5/5, 5/12, 64/64 as per Chilterns Thing
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

There's still a reddish smudge above the horizon across from me. Curlew, ducks, an owl, and some other birbs have criss crossed the field before me. Beer has been drunk, teeth brushed. I really hope the weather forecasts were right, as I've gone bag only tonight. My waterproof is on standby to cover my head should the worst happen. G'night all.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:09 pm 5/5, 5/12, 64/64 as per Chilterns Thing
Well done Reg... I reckon this is the first year I've ever made it past the 4 bivi mark...

Is there a thread somewhere mentioning the hardcorers who've gone past 12 in a row and continued... If not then maybe there should be with them/you explaining their stories/having a word...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

What an absolutely glorious night. The early evening's rain had passed through by the time I left the house, and as I snuggled down into my sleeping bag, the clouds drifted apart, leaving only the stars and a fantastically bright moon, which was bright enough to see by pretty much all night long.
One of my better night's sleep too, with at least 4 hours of solid ZZZs in a row, plus another couple of hours here and there. As the dawn chorus (and a really shouty curlew) really kicked in, I fired up the 8g stove and had a cuppa in bed (along with a cinnamon roll). It seemed like every blade of grass had its own bauble of dew.
All packed up before the world really got going, and blinking into the rising sun I made my way home in time for the school run.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPYowlgBpyZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPYrCSUhIeO/

2021 BAM 5/12
2021 total bivvies 5
Current streak (months) 30
Last edited by Bearlegged on Thu May 27, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:35 am
RIP wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:09 pm 5/5, 5/12, 64/64 as per Chilterns Thing
Well done Reg... I reckon this is the first year I've ever made it past the 4 bivi mark...

Is there a thread somewhere mentioning the hardcorers who've gone past 12 in a row and continued... If not then maybe there should be with them/you explaining their stories/having a word...
Perhaps I should sing 'When I'm 64' for this BaM :wink: . No thread that I know of apart from this one!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

May’s bivy was great, involving beer, fish and chips, a hammock, the sun, cuckoos, deer, multiple picturesque bridges, hilltop churches and, less pleasantly, thousands of abseiling stowaway caterpillars and multiple failed attempts to find a bridleway that actually crossed the A3, as opposed to just ending next to it and starting again on the other side of four to six lanes of fast-moving traffic.

Some pics ...

Boab

Post by Boab »

May BaM Done. Full report in the Virtual Winter Event 2021 thread.

It was glorious. Broke a spoke, got sunburnt, chatted to a chap interesting in trying bikepacking, got stung by nettles, got wet, got muddy, accidentally cycled down a stream bed, had a pint at the pub. I consider yesterday seized and throttled...

2021 BaM: 5/5
Streak: 17
Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/5379752750
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The extreme, ultra, adventure, bivvys:-
Night one in a great spot just out of Fort Augustus with Robbie. There was a fire pit, logs to sit on and the ground was level and dry. Despite the 'rush' I sat and chatted with Robbie for 20 minutes the next morning about stuff before we went our separate ways.
Night two in the same spot I'd bivvied in 2015 - just by Achness waterfall. I chose it as I knew it would be sheltered fromt he forecasted horrible weather.
Night three was in a lowly cattle shed as the Inn (OBH) was full, hey ho.
Night four was by Loch Marree - the midge epicenter of Scotland. There were a few but the chilly evening soon chased them away
Night five was pretty much on the Caledonian canal towpath also just out of Fort Augustus. The slugs mounted a concerted attack - its always un-nerving to find slug trails across the mesh of your bivvy bag.....

Sadly no beer. Pretty good though - five straight nights out, four under a flat tarp.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sterling (Stirling?) stuff, that man :-bd . Bit of everything there. Proper tarpism too.

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

May’s BAM now in the bag. Got home last night after a couple of days riding from/to Tyndrum and a bivvy on the eastern shore of Loch Etive. Imagine my surprise when, shortly after a late morning start on Day 2 (what’s the hurry anyway, I say?), I bumped into Borderer and Joe (of ‘Joe’s Shop’ renown) who were camped just a few hundred metres farther north. BAM report to follow in a day or so but for now, suffice it to say “It certainly is a small world and thanks Bridget and Joe for the chat, coffee and pancakes!”
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 pm Sterling (Stirling?) stuff, that man :-bd . Bit of everything there. Proper tarpism too.
So wohld that make phil a tarpinester Reg... Or a tarpiner?... maybe a tarpinon. Having spotted it, you're obviously a tarpinologist
redefined_cycles

Busy night shift (sorry)
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

May BAM completed.
A surprisingly warm ride to the north coast. Apparently I snored, a lot.
Ho hum.
IMG_20210530_155625_143.jpg
IMG_20210530_155625_143.jpg (147.61 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Grubby little urchin.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

May BaM completed by Fraser and I. Rode from Spean Bridge over Lairig Leacach to foot of Stob Ban. Report to follow.
BaM 2021
benp1

Post by benp1 »

May BAM completed on the WRT. Two nights with bivi only, no tarp
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alan63 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:25 pm May BaM completed by Fraser and I. Rode from Spean Bridge over Lairig Leacach to foot of Stob Ban. Report to follow.
Ooh looking forward to that, been meaning to do that route for yonks!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Having missed out on this year's WRT, this was my consolation/ compensation night out, and my (hopefully one of several) June BAM.
Firstly, the weather!!!! It's quite emotional, it feels like I've finally arrived in summer!!
Clothing choice was actually a bit tricky, I've kind of forgotten how to not pack for baltic and/or howling wind and rain :lol: I do believe that even a cotton T-shirt made it onto this trip :o
Anyway, so simple and yet oh so wonderful...
Stayed home to watch the final episode of "The Pact" (had to be done). Mr Z decided last night was a good night to open that bottle of birthday prosecco left over from last week. We briefly wondered whether that was wise, but then quickly decided it was fine....
So I rode off at about quarter past ten, in the last bit of light (!!)
ImageIMG_20210601_224019 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

As I rode over the common in the now dark, I saw about 6 bright lights coming towards me. Fellow bikepackers/ night cyclists I thought. Nope, a family taking their kids on a night walk - excellent, I approve, I have some great childhood memories of being taken out on night walks, so exciting and a little scary...

When I got to my intended spot, somewhere I've had my eye on for a while, it was just a simple climb into sleeping bag and bivvy bag, look at the stars and go to sleep - I didn't even bother with the mat, and didn't regret it, it was perfectly comfy.

Woke up at around 4 to these gorgeous views
ImageIMG_20210602_042214 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_042239 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_044350 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_044435 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_044541 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_044940 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Caught the actual sunrise and some confused sheep on the way home for coffee.

ImageIMG_20210602_050023 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_050352 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210602_051209 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Remind me again: Why do we sleep in houses and beds????

6/12
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Like many on here, I avidly followed the progress of the HT550 riders throughout last week. It eventually occurred to me, with the prospect of good weather and a reported low to zero midge count, that I should head up towards Tyndrum, etc. for my May BAM. This would also allow me to sample at least a fraction of the southern elements of the HT route.

I drove up to Tyndrum last Friday morning. It being a Bank Holiday weekend, I’d expected the roads to be busy but was still taken aback by the sheer volume of traffic on the Highland roads. I guess that’s what happens when jetting off to foreign parts isn't quite so simple these days.

From Tyndrum I followed the West Highland Way (WHW) and that, too, was busy with walkers and a few bikes. From Bridge of Orchy I followed the WHW up and over to Inveroran and after a short road section entered Glen Kinglas heading west. In complete contrast to the WHW, I did not see another soul over the next 14 or so miles until I reached Loch Etive.

ImageLoch Tulla by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageGlen Kinglas by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageLoch Dochard by Jimmy G, on Flickr

The off-camber wobbly suspension bridge was particularly 'interesting' when trying to manoeuvre my bike across on its back wheel. I’m sure it was quite taut when it was first installed years ago but it’s certainly not now!

ImageWobbly Bridge, Glen Kinglas by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I camped on the eastern shore of Loch Etive and soaked up the views. Normally you’d expect to encounter midges in the Highlands at this time of year but every recent report I’d read had said they were conspicuous by their absence so far. Needless to say, I was disappointed when several midge scouting parties made an appearance once the breeze died down in the evening. They weren’t yet in full feeding frenzy mode but they were a nuisance and my still itchy legs are a stark reminder that a few of them had a nibble at me!

ImageLoch Etive by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageLoch Etive by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Next morning I set off on what I knew was inevitably going to be a long trudge to the head of the loch where I could join the Glen Etive tarmac road. I’d only been taking my bike for a walk for 15 minutes or so when, to my surprise, I bumped into fellow Boner Borderer, and her son, Joe (of Joe’s Shop renown). Small world indeed! After a good natter and being plied with fresh pancakes and coffee, I resumed my slog along the shore. After negotiating numerous sections of bog and tiresome rock fields later, I finally waded across the River Etive and hit the road.

ImageOne of many Hike A Bike sections by Jimmy G, on Flickr

An undulating 11 or so road miles later, I was very glad to finally reach Glencoe and the WHW. I must say the number of cars, camper vans, tents, people and fires I saw along the northern sections of the glen did astound me.

ImageGlen Etive (the non-crowded bit) by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Once on the West Highland Way I headed south, following the route that the HT participants took on their run for home. A climb up past the Glencoe Ski Resort was followed by a fun descent down towards Loch Tulla. At this point I was running out of food. The remains of my home made trail mix had started to taste rather unappetising. Just like bird seed really, which of course it is! Anyway, the cheeky little chaffinch I encountered en route was happy to share it with me.

ImageChaffinch on the West Highland Way by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I reached the Inveroran Hotel around 9 pm and was disappointed (but not surprised :roll: ) that the kitchen had stopped serving food. Oh well… after a packet of crisps, salted peanuts, a Snickers bar and a pint of orange and lemonade, I was refuelled and ready for the final leg to Tyndrum. I must confess I did not take the WHW up and over to the Bridge of Orchy (having done it on the outwards journey) and instead took the easy, lower option on the road. Hats off to the HT riders who would have had no choice but to stick to the route and follow the true course, though.

ImageBridge of Orchy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I finally reached Tyndrum after dark, having spent two enjoyable days on the bike amidst beautiful scenery AND it stayed dry throughout!

Finally, I must express my admiration for all of the HT participants, particularly those who made it all the way round, regardless of time. It was easy to look at the dots and think how from Kinlochleven ‘they don’t have far to go now’. The truth is, I now know, there was still some challenging terrain to get over, made all the harder by several days' worth of accumulated fatigue. Congratulations to all of them!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Verena

Post by Verena »

Looks epic!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Yep. Some pretty stunning scenery up that way. So much better when the weather behaves itself too!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks a good trip Jimmy. I did the shore path up Loch Etive a couple of times back in the '90's and it was always pretty hard going. Top bivvy spot though!
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

2nd night out and went on a trip to Happisbrugh beach, riding out 16m. Took a few wrong turns so it took a bit of effort to get there with some light to set-up.

The whole night wasn't all that great. I did go blind and not knowing the terrain. Kind of intentially to work things out as I went. Managed to find a spot in the dunes. Not great but ok. Once light started to go down, I then watched someone walk down around the area in the photo with a red light and occasional white light. I'm sure they saw me but I was tucked away (someone else also walked near me). Watching them walking about did freak me out and I watched them come and go for a couple of hours. If it had been lighter I would have packed up and went to a quiet church yard I spotted on the way. It got to the point where I just accepted that, whatever they were doing, they weren't interested in me. Sleep was poor though. Both from noise of the waves and stranger-danger. I got up for a pee at about 4am and they were still around. I got up at 5am, as I wasn't settling and realised that they must've been doing some sort or coast or bird watch. The section in the photo was fenced and signed off. This made me feel better but it was too late by this point.

Packed up. Had hot choc and some sort of porridge soup with added chocolate and the rode home in time to spend a day out with Family.

The trip still was a learning experience from picking pitch to gear. I need to improve bike bags and sleeping bag as a priority. It is coming together though. Here are a couple of photos. Could be taken more but phone died.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Love those photos!