Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by RIP »

Nice little spot that. Plenty of tarp attachment points :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

:shock: Did you swim?
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Charliecres wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm :shock: Did you swim?
Haha! No I didn’t swim. I did get a bit directionally muddled half-way through. Think, “Hang on a minute, shouldn’t the water be on the other side?”. That’s right, I’d turned around somewhere and was exiting the tree on the side I’d entered. :oops:

This morning, in daylight, I could find ways of passing around without eel-like wriggling.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Another last-minute effort from me. I’d intended to go out on Monday night (-3C forecast) but faced with the prospect of a warm house, a nice meal and the need to wave my visiting daughter off, I cracked and put it off till last night (30 Nov, forecast of high winds and rain but a balmy 7C).

Anyway, it was uneventful. I lobbed some gear (Lanshan, Mammut down bag, NeoAir, Alpkit pillow) in a rucksack and took off on the fat bike for a bimble around the Surrey Hills, eventually settling on a local spot I’ve used once before in similar conditions. It’s high up but off the beaten track and generally fairly sheltered despite lacking much tree cover.

I pitched the shelter appallingly and spent much of the night worrying that one of the express train gusts I could hear approaching across the hill would whisk it clean away. But they didn’t and I woke up to drizzle then steady rain for the ride home. The only pic I have is of the fatty at my camp spot.

So that’s 11/12 for 2021.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I wobbled away from the pub on Friday night with the intent of ticking off a goal of mine, a Brompton BAM.
A few ciders ensured I wasn’t too picky. The storm meant I had to be a little picky!
I know a local sports pitch with a pavilion type thing which I was sure I would be able to cower behind for long enough to get some sleep.
Upon arrival I found the door wide open. There was just enough space inside the door to roll out my mat and bag, I left the door open as I like the fresh air.
Up early to avoid detection, no photos unfortunately.
November done 11/12 for 2021
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

I don't expect anyone to start counting again for a One" in November but I thought I'd post it out for whatever you want to get from it - smiles, empathy, horror, inspiration or solidarity (with the fox noises in the darkness). Hoping to get out for one, if not more, in December.

https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... nsets.html

4pm rides start with amazing sunsets, at least.

The truly remarkable part was that everyone was in a good mood - even the motorists. Not that any of them got much chance to disprove this as our paths only crossed momentarily.

I rode over Froggatt and Curbar edges into the setting sun and through the Chatsworth estate which was somewhere between winding down from Halloween and up for Christmas.

On the backside of Chatsworth I was growled at through the undergrowth which got my heart rate up even higher than it had been on the push up the steep hill to the monsal trail. I brewed up some wild camp dinner in one of the railway cuttings that had magically excluded the general breeze, fog and wet air from its confines - one of those weird moments where it feels safer "underground" than above ground (despite the wildlife). Dinner was moderately successful from a sachet though I decided in future I'll carry a lock and go to pubs again like old times rather than living off plastic sachets. Hoping that we continue to surf the current wave of relative normality.

Unfortunately in the rush of getting my brew on the stove I didn't realise I'd cross-threaded the lid on my camelback and water had gently been seeping into the leaves the whole time I was brewing and eating my dinner. There was nothing else for it than to pop over to miller's dale station to refill at the toilets. When I passed Hassop station i did think about popping in to find a dog-watering tap but discounted it as not being much further. It's quite a lot further when you're tired and your tyres are a bit flat and your saddle keeps sinking down. I faffed, I pedalled then once my bottle was refilled I got distracted by this bridleway and that as I made my way back towards somewhere I could get home from in time for work.

For future reference, if you've lived somewhere this long and not been down a bridleway before, there's probably a reason for it. There was a fair bit of swearing going on.

Exhausted I passed out at one of my emergency spots. I took no photos so this one is from the last time I was there without my brain switched on...

There were more brambles this time but the tyvek was deployed and we generally seem to have survived. A pedestrian passed at 4:30am with a clang of the gate and an audible "oh!" At least once they'd gone, it was like an early-wake-up-call and got me back on the road in time for a relaxing breakfast on the way home to start work just after 9am.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice circuit that.

I can only think of a couple of BW's in that area both of which are insanely gloopy at this time of year so fair play to you :smile: .

You're still sounding upsettingly fit so I'm definitely going to handcuff your ankles together in a couple of weeks time (*). At least the BWs/tracks might be ice by then instead of gloop.

(*) note to innocent bystanders: this is not how it sounds. Well OK it is but you need the context.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looking over Sheffield, as I tick off December.
Hope anyone who's doing the various Winter bivvies has fun.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

So, as trailed last night, I rode up a sizeable hill, had a nice beer, and stitched together a series of almost but not quite satisfying naps.
The morning arrived with some pretty colours:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWX0yWsZWO/

I then went for a bit of a ride around the moors, and met some very cute cows:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWNZfxMuXW/

By this point, my feet were getting a bit chilly, so I stopped off for a hot chocolate at the NT café. Very welcome.
A final rattle down the hill through the woods, and back home. I washed down the bike, myself, my clothes and my bags. I'm still finding bits of grit everywhere.

And that's it! A third calendar year BAM done. Here's to next year!

2021 BAM 12/12
2021 total bivvies 15
Current streak (months) 37
RIP

Post by RIP »

We still on for next Friday then? Total 16 :smile: .

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Oh yeah, definitely on. I just wanted to get out, not have the BAM thing hanging over me, and there was an opportunity for a non-rainy night.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:32 pm not have the BAM thing hanging over me
Good point. We might end up in a luxury spa and hotel by mistake, which obviously wouldn't count (unless they let us sleep on the sauna floor for free of course) :smile: .

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I wouldn't say no to a luxury spa right now. If I book it, and then you lot just happen to kip on the floor, does that count?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Must do surely :wink: . Probably need to refer this one to The Authorities, although they might be a bit preoccupied with drains and things at the moment....

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:32 pm Must do surely :wink: . Probably need to refer this one to The Authorities, although they might be a bit preoccupied with drains and things at the moment....
I thought we were an band of anarchist bike packers, now you tell us it's all run by 'The man'.
yours
disappointed.
Anon. :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, it's a sort of anarcho-dictatorship. Or summat.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:07 pm Yeah, it's a sort of anarcho-dictatorship. Or summat.
So we are duty bound and oppressed by, The Man and his spies & henchmen to what the hell we like, even if we don't like to?
is that it?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:14 pm
RIP wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:07 pm Yeah, it's a sort of anarcho-dictatorship. Or summat.
So we are duty bound and oppressed by, The Man and his spies & henchmen to what the hell we like, even if we don't like to?
is that it?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYU87QNjPw

Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:26 pm So, as trailed last night, I rode up a sizeable hill, had a nice beer, and stitched together a series of almost but not quite satisfying naps.
The morning arrived with some pretty colours:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWX0yWsZWO/

I then went for a bit of a ride around the moors, and met some very cute cows:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXWNZfxMuXW/

By this point, my feet were getting a bit chilly, so I stopped off for a hot chocolate at the NT café. Very welcome.
A final rattle down the hill through the woods, and back home. I washed down the bike, myself, my clothes and my bags. I'm still finding bits of grit everywhere.

And that's it! A third calendar year BAM done. Here's to next year!

2021 BAM 12/12
2021 total bivvies 15
Current streak (months) 37
Nice one, great to see these winter BAMs! Nice cows too...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Warning - Pic Heavy

I got out on the WB weekend to complete the year. Only the 2 of us on the IOW Edition, me and Ralph :lol: Rather than just a quick ride after dinner and then away before light I wanted to make more an event of this. I decided on a bivi in the woods at Mum's (allowed as it's not my garden) as it's exactly the same as the copse it joins into (damp and woody) but I wouldn't need to be up before the dog walkers.

I needed a theme to get me motivated to actually ride more on the way as the bivi spot is under a mile from my house. A sudden bit of inspiration and I settled on visiting, as close a ROWs allow, all the solar farms on the Island. There are more than you'd think as some are tucked away out of sight. The route planned out came to just over 60 miles so considering I only do about 20 miles a week on the bike at the moment that should be sufficient.

Thought I'd take the Spearfish, full sus definitely not required but I'd not ridden it for ages and it has gears if my legs failed me. Packed on Saturday morning and off by 11:00. First stop was close to home.

I had to explain to some walkers why I was taking a picture of the Solar farm, they were giving me an odd look, and they arrived after Ralph hid himself away. I was concerned they might think I was some sort of climate-denier planning an attack. Off we went, 1 down and 9 to go. Some have more than one area of panels but I think that they are part of the same development so we'll call it 10. Bit of a ride to the next one including going over the Downs.

Handy bench to eat my pecan plait. Strange place for a memorial to the civil war :lol:

They could also only afford 3 screws, the fourth hole hasn't been used, and they didn't stretch to stainless. Spotted the new train in the distance, too far away to picture, but at least they're running after the 3 month upgrade which too 11 :roll: Downhill to the next, well mainly, but also very slippy on some of the chalky bits.

No idea what the little hut is, sauna? Pizza oven? There's a revolving vent on the chimney bit. There's also a handy board to tell us all about the solar farm.

Apparently the power generated is the same as taking 1333 large cars off the road, if only they did. Bit of a distance to the next one, spotted a handy bench for a sit down and a roll on the way. I thought I'd take a more relaxed approach as I had all day - and night if necessary.

Whist eating I could ponder the reason for this?

The area is a sort of nature reserve/project so someone must have thought it a good idea. We can rule out it being a jetty for ferries as the extent of the lake, sorry puddle, is just about all in the picture. Of course now it's a few years old and green it's also so slippery as to be lethal. Off again avoiding some loose dogs and small children who looked pleased to see the loaded bike with their cries of 'mummy look' - the children that is, the dogs were indifferent, probably roadies :wink: After going over level crossings for both the railway and steam railway we arrived at the next tucked away solar farm.

By now it had started raining on and off so Ralph said he wouldn't pose unless it stopped as he didn't have a waterproof with him :roll: When we got here he was a bit worried I was going to drop him off :lol:

There is also a solar farm in the background but hard to make out. This one has 2 large areas of panels and it's between two roads with no ROWs near to get a better picture.

Along the old railway line and I spotted the sticker on the gate, been past loads of times but never noticed it before.

A rather seasonal printing error :lol:

From here I cut through Newport Harbour, stopping to top up my bottle from a tap on the Quay I didn't know was there until I started managing the repair works on the harbour walls for the Council. Handy as unlike the other Council taps they don't turn these off in the winter. Riding up the old Newport to Cowes railway and I'm on the look out for a spot for my other roll. Luckily they've built a sort of bench, or maybe an art installation.

The old kilns would be a good bivi spot now they've cleared out all the trees that were growing in them, but at the same time they put a fence up around it :roll:

I'd never heard of Medina Cement until then (made from Septaria dredged from the river) but Portland came along and was better, the same fate as the Delta variant, along comes a 'new' version and the old one is soon forgotten. A slight easing of the weather so Ralph made an appearance at the next one.

But it didn't stay dry for long. This was the first outing for my Montane Meteor jacket and I was quite impressed. The pit zips helped with temperature regulation and I think it kept me dry, always hard to tell as I leave it far too long before I put my waterproof on so it's going over damp/wet clothes. The next is actually at a friends farm.

Accessed by a permissive bridleway along another disused railway line. If it wasn't for Beeching I could nearly have done this tour round on the train. By now it was raining properly and by the time I went past the next one it was dark so you'll be pleased to hear there are no more pictures of solar panels :grin: Riding towards my house in the rain it was tempting to sack-off the bivi and head home for a warm bath but I'd deposited 2 rather nice cans of chocolate stout at Mum's in the week so had to keep going. Once there I filled up my water carrier, collected the beer and headed into the woods. Got the shelter up and into dry clothes (my sleeping kit) and with the down jacket on I could get the stove lit for dinner. I took the inner for the camo deschutes-alike which is a bit of luxury. I also brought my full winter bag, Pipedream 600, so was toasty all night, in fact I had to unzip and put my arms out as the temperature was still in double figures. No alarm set so it was light when I got up and got the stove on for coffee. The more than 8g less than 22g stove (can't remember the size) with my wide 400ml pot is my favourite cooking system, I think I've found my idea size. Uses about 15ml of fuel for a good rolling boil with 350ml of water.

Although Ralph did 12 bivis in a row before they were March to Feb so this is his first full calendar year so I had a surprise for him

This is his second BAM badge although he's cheated slightly as he's counted Jan and Feb in both badges. He pointed out it's more than slightly cheating as he hasn't actually ridden a bike at all in the 2 years :lol: Once I had finished breakfast I had the pleasure of putting back on my cold and wet kit, not as bad as feared as the unseasonably warm night meant it was mainly wet. Quick picture of the site for the record.

Despite not being seam sealed there were no leaks. I think it's being able to sit up that makes shelters of this shape so good. All rubbish was packed out, well as far as Mum's recycling bin.

Image[/url]

Santa was waiting for me when I got home to check if I'd been a good boy this year :lol:

And for those who've made it this far, this was my route

I rode it anti-clockwise and did 60 miles the first day and under 1 the second :lol: Not the WB I thought I would have but given the circumstances worth the effort.

12/12 for 2021
Last edited by sean_iow on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Excellent and amusing report as usual there Sean!

"Two Trusty Cavaliers" - they might have been commemorating much-loved family motor cars?

Liked the jetty photo, perhaps the "lake" was once an inch or two deeper and thereby extended much further?

and the kilns were so good you photoed them twice - don't' blame you :smile:

I don't think Ralph cheated really. I mean he was ON the bike wasn't he? So that makes it pretty much a tandem. Nice badge!

:-bd

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:12 pm and the kilns were so good you photoed them twice - don't' blame you :smile:
'I wondered when you'd spot that Wilson' :lol: Now corrected with the handy information board.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

My eyesight isn't as bad as I thought. "Bioreceptive sculptural artwork" eh?

Flour mill... then cement mill.... then wind 'mill'...... hence "supported by Vestas"... unless there's a match factory or ready meals company nearby?

Anyway, nice kilns. Almost as good as Bob's :wink: .

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:12 pm"Two Trusty Cavaliers" - they might have been commemorating much-loved family motor cars?
Close enough...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oops nearly forgot to post....
December done on the SWB, BAM 2021 complete! :-bd