Bivvy a Month 2021

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Bivvy a Month 2021

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:14 pm Headed out..... I'm liking this new light already, especially when coupled with my existing MTB Batteries Lumen 800 on my helmet.

I was soon at my chosen spot in the fens, undercover
with that light you might be spotted when going under cover #notstealth
:lol:
sounds like you had a good kip out & glorious dawn. fantastic piccies to boot :-bd Country file calendar entries? :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Well, Trep OUT for 2021 after a straight run of 30 up to June with http://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... s-bam.html in July.

Last Friday was http://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/2021 ... -back.html
I'm fine (now). I'm not looking for help (anymore) or sympathy but... look after each other. Check on your mates. Keep pedalling.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
Boab

Post by Boab »

Ever since I started this bike packing journey I've had my eye on events - TNR, the winter ride, BB200, Braunton150, HT550, Trans Atlantic way. I realise I've never actually done it just for the joy of sitting around doing nothing. There's always somewhere to be.
There's a lesson in there for some of us... 👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right then... a roll of 8 out of 12. Now for the 9th I'm chucking in the towel. Its wet, I forgot my waterproof pants and I've got some slight left leg issues (high cholesterol at my last health check and 75mg of Aspirin has been managing to keep it comfy for the past few days :smile: ... maybe you can guess what it might/might not be) so I may aswell keep my strength to put it all out on the actual big day (BB200 obviously for which the BAM is designed :lol: in my head at least).

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and hopefully see some of you soon enough :-bd
redefined_cycles

NB. Some proper fasting, maybe alternate days with only water for 10 hours at a time, might be on the boards... (or 'cards'... whatever)
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

9/9 for Fraser and I this year. A very wet trip to Tentsmuir forest on Sunday night. I'll post some pics later.
BaM 2021
redefined_cycles

Right then, stop the clock - or whatever the appropriate term is in propa 'British Citizenship Test English'.

BAM Sept is now in full swing. In pics...

The view from the top, 75ish ft or meters I'm led to believe.

The bike... looking all cute n proud of herself as I'm trying to lay flat whilst a bit off camber with plenty undulations around that I'll stay put. Amother bivy using shoes as my pillow but goretex army bivy came with.

The view from bed.

Same view but 'flash on'.

THE END :grin:

9 of 9 done (Alhamdulillah)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:35 am

Go for it Lad!
🚵‍♂️ProTip of the day:🚵‍♀️
Always put your helmet right way up.
Otherwise it will fill with water! 🌧️💧
(or slugs!)🐌* slug with shell.! nearest emoticon.)
Again you've gone for it, :-bd
Anyway- how's your leg issues.?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

The view from bed.

Same view but 'flash on'.
⚡⚡ Newsflash ⚡⚡
Flasher
reported on local hillside. ⚡⚡
:shock: :lol:
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

ledburner wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:28 am
Always put your helmet right way up.
Otherwise it will fill with water!
Or if left outside London Waterloo station, it can be filled with vomit… fortunately didn’t happen to me but someone had an uncomfortable ride the other day!
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
redefined_cycles

Slept at the top of the hill and that picture shows the hospital where I'm working just now (covid icu :smile: but a recovering chap with a neck tube). Slept from about 0130 in a deep sleep, then pitter... patter so I closed up the bag with a little breathing opening.

By 0430 I frantically packed the mat, quilt and bivy bag into one roll and walked down the hill (nature reserve apparently) with it. Got to the car and it was pouring it down. Dismantled bike and squished myself into car for another piece of zzzz. At around 0530 got very cold so pulled out the spare car-bag. Slept on and off til about 0630 thankfully with the alarm constantly going of until this time. Walked into hospital, said my prayers and started work at 0700...

Someone asked this morning if I'd jusy driven down this am and I momentarily considered explaining myself. But the thought of becoming known as the idiot on shift, I didn't delve into the matter :grin:

Helmet remained dry over my softshell cap :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

3 nighter so take your pick:

- in a toilet block in a graveyard due to the deluge. So that's a double score with two of my favourite locations.

- on the floor of a pub bar due to the deluge (actually, reject this one because a small contribution was requested)

- in a marquee outside a pub, with several rivers running across the floor, due to the deluge.

More news later.

9/9, 9/12, 68/68
Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

And I'm out :cry: :cry: :cry:

I knew I shouldn't have put all my September eggs into that LHK shaped basket!!!

I'm all packed and was going to go for a very simple local one tonight, but with all the family except me now poorly, even I'm not that shellfish...

I'll have to make up for it with a double October bivvy.

Don't suppose there are any emergency rules for this kind of thing? O yes, don't leave it till so late in the month... :oops:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm pretty sure deities get a mulligan Verena. Or you can take one of Reg's as he has two spare for September. I'd stay away from the dunny in the graveyard though.
I'm just going outside ...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think the Boss is needed to judge on that one - calling Stu! Scope for some flexibility with maybe a list of additional 'penalties' that must be taken to make up for it?!
Anyway, its that time again, the third quarter tally!
This has now got even harder as some people have changed their bloody usernames and we've had a few additions....

Since January I have (so far come on slackers get yer bivvies posted)
Sean_iow
Redefined C
RIP
Shutuplegs
Frog
FBP (me that is)
Scotroutes
Boab
Bearlegged
CharlieCres
Alan63 (and son)
Raggedstone
Jimmy G

Kumquat and Highland Drifter still to get posts up.

In terms of late starters these seem to have seen a bit more attrition...
Borderers (but stillwaiting on Aug and September Bridget)
Blackhound (started in June)
All the others seem to have fallen by the wayside.
And in a fit of dictatorial, none compromising, unilaterally despotic rule making, I'm not counting any other late starters as otherwise I'll go mad! (again)

Finally, its the motivational statement that is my favourite part of this bit as you (the participants) are our most valuable asset that must be empowered to make this place the great resource that it is. Without you my job would be much easier I mean there wouldn't be a BAM.

So come on gang, we are into the back end of the year, the weather is rubbish and you need an excuse not to go Christmas shopping. Get out there and get bivvying team :-bd

Tah
FBP
Last edited by fatbikephil on Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Well... it was the thought of trudjing through winter without the urge/need to go bivying in the cold that motivated me to try one last attempt... Thanks again all and FBP for the tally... 9 months in and I'm/we're still going somehow :-bd Good going all
redefined_cycles

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:26 pm I'm pretty sure deities get a mulligan Verena. Or you can take one of Reg's as he has two spare for September. I'd stay away from the dunny in the graveyard though.
Soz to hear. Hope they GWS
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:46 pm Well... it was the thought of trudjing through winter without the urge/need to go bivying in the cold that motivated me to try one last attempt... Thanks again all and FBP for the tally... 9 months in and I'm/we're still going somehow :-bd Good going all
(a) I'm really pleased that you've managed to keep it going
(b) I've realised how much I've been looking forward to the colder months for my bivvying. Picking the "right" nights is important but I reckon I have all my best trips happen when the temperatures have dropped (and not just due to the reduction in insect mobility).
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:26 pm I'm pretty sure deities get a mulligan Verena. Or you can take one of Reg's as he has two spare for September. I'd stay away from the dunny in the graveyard though.
Yep neat idea, happy to donate to a good cause
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I did suggest to Trep that surely she'd built up some bivvy credits on the HT...
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:39 pm This has now got even harder as some people have changed their bloody usernames....
Sorry!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I shouldn't worry too much, Phil's one of the culprits! :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Nah, I'm good, thanks.
Much as I like the idea of some additional special challenge to get back into the good books of the Keeper of the BAM scores (e.g. a night on Cockit Hill after a pint at the Black Cock Inn; a bivvy at The Scariest Place I Know; or a bivvy on the island in the middle of the Punchbowl, which I'd have to swim to), rules are rules, and where would you start and stop with such exceptions?
And do remember, I am only a self appointed deity after all, not sure that awards any special privileges...

What I find funniest is how much I care about something which up until fairly recently I didn't even know was a thing, let alone a thing I'd want to do...

Yes, I'm also looking forward to the winter bivvy season - bring it on!!!
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

9/9 for this year
I spent three days out with Reg and Psling on the RPN tour we were also joined by Verena for a while who was originally going to be with us for the duration but circumstances meant she was only able to join us for the sunny leg of the tour :roll:
ImageIMG_20210929_110932326 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After 32 BAM's spent outdoors or under a cover of my own taking i finally gave in and went for a night in a pub marquee with its own automatic floor washing system i started the night upsteam from here
ImageIMG_20210930_071154018 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Verena... was only able to join us for the sunny leg of the tour
Does this mean Verena's deity abilities trump Reg's rain god status?