Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Today's Run

Post by redefined_cycles »

After some reading-exploration of bear-footed activities and then some asking of the forum, I decided the tennis shoes were flat enough to be close to bare-foot. So that's what I used, though no trail or off-road as I was dark.

Trying to stick with 10% max weekly increase to ensure I'm properly adapting. Set the watch to a 45 minute training time and did 3.7 miles with 300ft of elevation. Most of it running (or jogging, though I'm not sure I understand the difference!) and some brisk walking to keep the HR down. Watch tells me I burnt 1000 calories and even though I tried to stay in an easy aerobic zone, I'm not sure it's true :???:

Another 2 hours and 15 mins this week of running/jogging and I'll be done InshaAllah :smile:
redefined_cycles

Took the little one out on his bike. Took my insoles out and wore the approach shoes as this seemed as minimal heel to toe drop as the tennis shoes but these boots grip the foot better.

Managed 4 miles in about 45 mins and thankfully no aches or pains. Gonna grab some (ZAQQ) barefoot shoes in due course but need to save up for em. Twas nice and seems like the respriatory/cardiovascular is getting better and better :smile: 150ish ft elevation gain and some off road too :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Just back from the Cairngorms, have done a lot of winter walking. Good to slow down for a while. Or be forced to slow down due to the conditions :)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Nipped out at lunchtime after a week off due to half-term. I'd overdressed, got too warm and just couldn't get into a good rhythm. I kept on having to stop and walk for a bit to get the HR down to target so ended up just cutting it short at 5.5k. Ah well, I'll try again in a couple of days.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Took the car in for the mot today, dropped it off on the way to work. When I phoned up this afternoon to see how it went he said 'its tomorrow, wondered why you'd dropped it off today' :???:

I know the mechanic as he's a fellow MTBer, somewhere in the chat about bikes and trail conditions when I booked it in we somehow got different days :lol: I've left it there ready for tomorrow.

So today's after work run became a run home from work, via the garage as my trainers were in the boot. I also get a bonus run to work in the morning.

9.2 miles 870 feet 1 hr 24 mins

It also started raining about 1/3 way home but only lightly so got away with it in just the windproof.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bonus miles Sean ;)

I had two cracking commute runs today. In was frosty and no wind. Home was sunny and no wind. Both cold. Both great in their own way. Ran hard on both as I was feeling good. Really nice to be back cracking out some 7min miles at the end of a run and days work. Finally feeling like I'm getting some speed back in my legs after a winter of trudging.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd be pleased just to run a 7 min mile let alone at the end of a run. That's the sort of effort saved for Strava segments :grin:

Light rain on the way to work, didn't set out to post a good time but was only 7 seconds over the hour (benchmark I use on the run in) so pleased with that.

Car passed the mot so collected it at lunchtime. As I would have to wear my shorts home (leaving the shirt etc in the office) it would have been rude not to stop off for another run on the way home. Raining much harder but did at last get to try out my montbelll shell mitts. I've had them in my pack for months but this was the first time I've had cold hands and been in the rain to test them. Seem to work as my hands warned up once on but I was as also then out of the wind so might have been that. Final downhill was basically running down a steam :lol:

Morning 7.4 miles 220 feet 1 hr 0 min 7 secs
Evening 6.1 miles 689 feet 59 mins
redefined_cycles

4 miles and 380ft (Strava adjusted data). Went with as flat insoles as poss again and on the 3rd mile did half of it bare-foot. Funny thing is that it turned out to be my fastest lap too. Having no shoes on allowed me to force the method of landing on the front of the foot instead.

Some lower back discomfort before I went and nil enroute or upon return. Hopefully the minimization of heel to toe drop is helping. Next step (sorry) some Zaqq trail shoes. Maybe by the end of the month I'll be able to pick up the pace and mileage a little...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ran home from work again, wore short shorts, it was a BAD idea in the rain and cold. Felt warm, but testicles are still somewhere in the region of my lungs.

Probably get a short hill session in tomorrow, then rest on Friday. I'm spending the weekend coaching navigation to fell runners so I'll be logging some 7hr days on the hill. Great to do, but I'll be quite tired by Sunday evening.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Did another 40 minutes or so at lunchtime, 5.5 k. Felt very leaden legged again though did better than last time at keeping to an easy pace. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a longer run in at the weekend.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Well I managed a slightly longer run but my watch died so not entirely sure how long it was - probably about 7.5k around Stone - I need to start mixing in a quicker run in amongst the easy runs - that and find some new routes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'll stick this in here as I suspect if I started a 'Todays ski' thread there won't be much interest. Apologies to the runners.
Today I was up in the hills west of the Drumochter pass on the boards. These make for a pleasant but not particularly interesting walk, but are fab for skiing if the snow is good. It was. A bit icy up top but the sun was softening the faces which made for hero snow. The views were also amazing as in a break with tradition it was sunny and only a bit breezy.

Perthshire hills to the left, Glencoe hills center and the end of Ben Alder right.

My personal ski area - I did a few runs and saw nae one until I was skiing back out. My legs are now completely and utterly shot.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one Phil. Those are particularly "boring" Munros and I've often thought they'd be better on skis (or fat bike) than walking or running. Saw my first ever avalanche (well the resulting cleared slope) on the flanks of The Sow of Atholl.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:12 pm Nice one Phil. Those are particularly "boring" Munros and I've often thought they'd be better on skis (or fat bike) than walking or running. Saw my first ever avalanche (well the resulting cleared slope) on the flanks of The Sow of Atholl.
It crossed my mind that it would have been utterly fab on the fat bike as the snow was full on crust-tastic first thing so you could have ridden anywhere and everywhere. You often see avalanche debris on the sow and boar, as well as the corrie rim of Ar Machonaich, from the A9. Today I saw the full depth soft snow avalanche that the SAIS Creag Meghaid guy mentioned - http://meagaidhblog.sais.gov.uk/2022/03/full-depth/ - the one on the facebook post. No danger today, especially on the easy slopes I favour :grin:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Many of us know and love the Elan Valley for cycling, but it also hosts a a great road running event, which I'd highly recommend if you ever find yourself in the area but without a bike (not likely, I know....) https://youtu.be/CN6k1mzn9rc?list=TLGGq ... NjAzMjAyMg

I did this in 2017, badly, due to having injured my foot a couple of months before, so not much by way of training. After 20k I was in quite a bit of pain, proper last, and the sweeper van first helped me along with a few extra sweets, then practically chucked whole bags of them at me, begging me to please hurry the flock up so everyone could go home :lol: ( I joke of course, they were lovely and very patient).

So I always felt like I had some unfinished business here, and yesterday was it. The weather was glorious, and I didn't come last, not even on the last page of the results - proof that a bit of training does make a difference :-bd .

ImageIMG_20220305_112805 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220305_104541 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220305_122456 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220305_122655 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220305_185918 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220305_163138 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I spent the weekend teaching navigation to fell runners in Kettlewell and it was most excellent. Clocked about 14 hours on the hill over Sat and Sun between teaching, running and putting out/in controls. Pretty darn tired today! Rest day today and tomorrow, back at it on Wednesday.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

GregMay wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:21 pm I spent the weekend teaching navigation to fell runners in Kettlewell and it was most excellent. Clocked about 14 hours on the hill over Sat and Sun between teaching, running and putting out/in controls. Pretty darn tired today! Rest day today and tomorrow, back at it on Wednesday.
Great work Greg! It's baffling how many top fell runners can't navigate
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Johnallan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 pm
GregMay wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:21 pm I spent the weekend teaching navigation to fell runners in Kettlewell and it was most excellent. Clocked about 14 hours on the hill over Sat and Sun between teaching, running and putting out/in controls. Pretty darn tired today! Rest day today and tomorrow, back at it on Wednesday.
Well done Greg for giving back.. :-bd

A mate of min, back in the 90's), was just like that. :grin:
- All the extra miles, from poor navigation, was put down to unscheduled extra training... even on race day... :roll:
.. I once tried the Ennerdale horse shoe (hiking), skyline not the fell race, at Easter...with him. he took over navigation early evenning, when the pace was dropping . The expected late finish with-in daylight hours, got extendened, to 2am, as he over ruled doing the last peaks (High Seat - High Stile- Dodds - Gt Bourne), not descending ScarthGap pass, as he "knew these fells", he was more experienced and I didn't know about his navigation reputation (lack of).
Coming down the screes off High Stile into Ennerdale with Petzl zoom head torch was definately type 2 fun...
Thankfully no one was hurt, but the risk & associated hazards still give me a shiver...
The sound of moving scree, brief silence then clatter....
scree & crags not the preferred descent route... :roll:
I'm still here, the fell runner is not, lived life at vol. 11.. :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ha ha! Lots of post race tales of "We'll follow X, they're local/know the way..." until they don't :lol:

I was helping out on a Bob Graham Round on the Helvellyn range. It was really misty and I'd just got a set of bearings (to nearest 10deg) to run to. Our path kept getting crossed by another pair who would appear out of the mist and run at right angles to our bearing to disappear once again into the mist.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've been doing it for 6 years now, quite enjoy it :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Quick one today after work, and before child herding. 4km, mostly up, felt good. nice to be back on legs that area decent.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Usual run to work. Last minute decision to put the 3/4 tights on, when I opened the curtains an 06:00 and saw the grey sky and wind blowing the trees. Right choice as the wind was biting. Brought the shorts with me ready for the run home in the sun...

As well as the usual herons and buzzards I see I also heard the first woodpecker of the year :grin: then only minutes later I saw one as well. Set off at a steady pace but the watch said I was moving well so wound it up as the miles went by to finish in under the hour. Started off at 8:16/mi and ran my fasted split of 7:38/mi for the last mile.

Noticed I can see my socks through my trainers already :sad: only covered 460 miles. Previous pairs haven't been retired until over 800.

7.33 miles 59 min 6 secs 272 feet
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:08 am Noticed I can see my socks through my trainers already :sad:
You should have listen to your mum, :smile:
Look at where your going, not at your feet. :grin:
issue solved :-bd

Slow down buoy, your wearing your shoes out too fast ,
.... but we'll done cracking pace! .. :-bd )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It wouldn't be so bad, but at £140 a pair if they only last 460 miles it costs twice as much to run to work as to drive! Even at the current prices if I spent £140 on petrol in the Yaris I'd get over 900 miles.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:49 pm It wouldn't be so bad, but at £140 a pair if they only last 460 miles it costs twice as much to run to work as to drive! Even at the current prices if I spent £140 on petrol in the Yaris I'd get over 900 miles.
light/ durable/ cheap
pick any two (sometimes less) :|