Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Today's Run

Post by FLV »

Seem to be replacing my cycling with attempts at running these last couple of weeks, just when I have no one to ride with it seems.

Friday saw a short run 6.5km round the tops of a local hill. Not too lumpy. It was my best run yet though despite its short nature. Obviously I was still slow but I was able to run the whole thing more or less non stop, which was a great feeling.

Currently deciding if I fancy attempting a hilly run for a couple of hours in the hill somewhere I wouldn't go on a bike, or a ride.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Club Autumn league started yesterday, introduction for a lot of people to orienteering tends to be at park level, there was a technical addition added for the more experienced runners.

Started up in the quarry with some excellent tight sprint style navigation in the spoil pits, followed by a longer leg down into the park to join the orange and yellow routes. Had a good day out (2nd) despite being awake from 0200 with a daughter who has a stomach bug. Good times for all. Made a daft error in the park when I miss-read the side of a thicket that 15 was on (I'd not spun my map leaving 14) and ended up losing a lot of time, and the event. Learning point - plan and set up the exit before entry.

Routegadget here if anyone wants a look: https://www.pfo.routegadget.co.uk/rg2/#160&route=50020
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Sheffield half marathon done in 1:39:59 gun time (which required a rather hurty final 200m), 1:39:51 chip time. Now riding home, shower and collapse!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Found 30mins today between child herding and family duties to smash a run out. It was a full on smash and grab when I realised I had a 45 minute window to get changed, run, shower, get changed. Then....they came home an hour late. *sigh* Still, good to get out for a run :)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulE wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:48 am Sheffield half marathon done in 1:39:59 gun time (which required a rather hurty final 200m), 1:39:51 chip time. Now riding home, shower and collapse!
:-bd I will donate tomorrow..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Snook-O today. Don't really know how to describe it.

11 "red" controls, then 6 colour controls following the pattern of snooker. 60mins max time, highest score with lowest time wins.

Once you visited a red, you could not visit it again. We had to run red-colour-red-colour-etc until all the reds were vanquished (one could re-visit a colour and each had a different amount of points attached) before you ran onto the the finishing colour order.

Running a red - black gave the most points, but also gave a complete run of the main hill in the area, up and down. Effectively a hill rep session.

I'd had a few beers the night before, then someone blurted out that they thought it was impossible to get a full clear round in the time. Challenge accepted. 47 mins later I'd cleared the course and done a lot of hill reps. Brutal day out. 6.8km with 200m of elevation and a lot of head scratching. Not 100% sure yet, but pretty sure I did a win.

Routegadget here: https://www.pfo.routegadget.co.uk/rg2/#161
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's a clever, and devious, concept :smile:

I've not been for a run since last Monday as I've had a cold (tested twice so not c19) but will be back on it tomorrow.

I had planned to run to and from work Wednesday but the 30 mins waiting for my lateral flow results meant I only had time to ride.

Fortunately I can ride and run to work as the car is nearly out of petrol, as are the local fuel stations :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Spent this morning controlling a street orienteering score event I'm running on Wednesday. Being around Calderdale its.... hilly to say the least, and not that much option about it. I've tagged in a lot of trail options to cut between controls. Should be a laugh! I reckon it'll be about 18km in total with 500m of climbing to clear it all, not sure that it can be done in the 60mins available!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Actually managed to find the time and motivation to get out for some runs. Monday - 6.5 miles after work, still feeling the effects of last weeks cold as my pace was down for HR zone comapred to normal but felt better for getting out.

This morning - just the run to work, 7.5 miles, and took it steady at 1 hr 4 mins so just over my average for this route. I missed last week's and being 2 weeks later in the year combined with the fact I managed to get out the door 15 minutes earlier than last time meant it wasn't fully light when I left. I even put the head torch on, with the Alpkit blip on the back, to be more visible on the fist mile which is on the road.

Will run home after work and considering running the commute on Friday as well. I've a personal challenge I want to tick off so I think I'll have to concentrate on the running for a while to build up the endurance required. The problem is I also love riding my bike but I'll have to sacrifice riding time to build up the distance I'm running.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:51 am
Will run home after work and considering running the commute on Friday as well. I've a personal challenge I want to tick off so I think I'll have to concentrate on the running for a while to build up the endurance required. The problem is I also love riding my bike but I'll have to sacrifice riding time to build up the distance I'm running.
good you're getti g out doing better than me.
cycle or bike the tri athletes conundrum. hmm :???:

your neglecting the swimming! :lol: :shock:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Luckily I don't do swimming so I'm off the hook there :grin:

Run home was 9.5 miles as went past mum's to pick up her shopping list. I went over St George's down, I've started going up the footpath behind Asda* which joins the road 2/3 of the way up, which although the same amount of climbing and actually steeper in places it feels easier as it's off road and weaves about. On the road climb you can see how far is left most of the way :???:

The puddles along the track at the top are full width again so wet feet is back on the menu. The council have put the concrete blocks back at either end, it's a green lane with seasonal closure, but the position of the blocks will mean going through the deepest water once that builds up in the winter. Rest day tomorrow :smile:

* Information like this will mean nothing to anyone not from the Island :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nothing wrong with swimming before a bike ride and run (#retiredtriathlete)

No running today, but organised a local orienteering event. 55 entries, street orienteering in the dark, fun times :) Will post the map up tomorrow for a peruse.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Routegadget for local street-O that I organised on Wednesday: https://www.pfo.routegadget.co.uk/rg2/#162
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'll to have a proper look at that at work, far too much to see on my phone screen.

Alarm went off at 06:00 this morning, I needed to be at work early to get to site at the harbour to look at the bases of the old railway viaduct piers at the low tide. I thought about riding to work as that would be quicker, or even driving as that would be quicker still, but that would just be using it as an excuse not to run. Out the door at 06:30 and after half a mile I was questioning my resolve as it was hard going, but by mile 2 I was into it and all was well. Even stopped at site on the way, my route goes past the harbour, and arranged to be back there within the hour.

7.5 miles and 63 minutes so about average.

Site is only a 5 minute walk from the office, back there in time but by the end I was on the wrong side of the river to get out of the channel with the centre much deeper than my wellies, luckily the site supervisor's wellies were already full of water so he waded across and got a 4 foot length of ladder which was just enough to get my fingertips on the top of the channel wall and climb out :lol:

Apprehensive about how hard the run home would be. Decided to just get on with it and see how it went. Went straight up the road to St George's down for extra masochism. In the end it was fine and really enjoyed it. Went past mum's to drop off her local paper and raid the sweet jar :grin:

This is the first time I've done the run to work twice in the same week and it wasn't as tough as I'd feared, probably running to slowly :wink: Total distance for the week is just under 40 miles with Monday's after work outing so the most since the virtual WHW race last year, which left me totally beaten up. It's a big jump from a normal week but I've swapped riding for running so not as bad as just an increase in activity.

Just got to keep it up now and then hopefully keep increasing the distances.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:12 pm I'll to have a proper look at that at work, far too much to see on my phone screen.
Aye it's not phone viewing :)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:12 pm I'Went past mum's to drop off her local paper and raid the sweet jar :grin:
F-f-f-astest paper boy in the vest! :-bd :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Monday after work I went to Brighstone forest, I used to run there every Monday as I would go to my lockup/workshop just round the corner every Monday to tinker. Not been there regularly for maybe 18 months so made a nice change, despite having run 100s if not 1000s of miles there I was having so much fun before I knew it I'd covered 9.4 miles with 1280 feet of climbing, 1 hr 20 mins.

This morning I ran to work, via Screwfix for some more sandpaper, 8.8 miles, 1 hr 20 mins moving and 5 mins in the queue for my sandpaper.

Decided to go the long way home, via Havenstreet and over the downs. Last time I went this way I took a wrong turn in Combley Wood and ended up on the opposite side to where I wanted to be and had to run round the perimeter on one of the cheeky bike trails to get back where I wanted to be. This time I was on the ball and turned left when I met the main track instead of right like last time. I ended up at the same spot on the wrong side of the woods :???: I did get to run the cheeky trail again and scout out potential bivi spots.

Pretty tired by the time I got home but in a good way. 15 miles, 1410 feet, 2 hrs 20 mins.
Moff

Post by Moff »

I like this one...already talking to another club member about running an event with the same format down here.
GregMay wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 pm Snook-O
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 pm
Last time I went this way I took a wrong turn in Combley Wood and ended up on the opposite side to where I wanted to be and had to run round the perimeter on one of the cheeky bike trails to get back where I wanted to be. This time I was on the ball and turned left when I met the main track instead of right like last time. I ended up at the same spot on the wrong side of the woods :???: I did get to run the cheeky trail again and scout out potential bivi spots.
All trail lead back to the same section of perimeter spooky :o with out Mirky Fog doubly spooky... X_X

You stumble across a stray piece Avenger location set of the IOW 'bermuda' triangle..worm hole or stray Paranormal TV prop/set.
dare you go back and record a GPS trace of the route. maybe ball of wool back up plan needed. Ask Veruna nicely alternatively befriend a surrogate gran. No similarity Implied. (Eeeek, phew got out of that mi' hopes)
No don't go there Reg...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I didn’t see this until today I quite fancy challenging myself with this next year:

https://www.forestryengland.uk/forest-e ... 7xJ7mt-MFs
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Interesting, one could viably get that down to £1 a km I suspect :{)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yeah, it’s not cheap. To be fair I could do it on my own for free but I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t because I’d get bored after a couple of laps if no-one else was doing it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thought I'd put up last Friday's but maybe not. Did the run to and from work again, which took my total for the week to just over 50 miles so pleased with that.

Got a lift to work today so I could run home. I'm planning my October BAM for Thursday so I won't be able to run to work Friday, went further tonight to compensate. Headed east from the office, following the Bembridge Trail (which is actually a series of footpaths and road linking sections) as far as Brading. Cut across Brading Marshes and was going to go all the way to Bembridge but it was chucking it down and pretty windy. As much as I was loving the conditions I thought it prudent not to go over the top of Culver Down so cut across to the bottom, still ended up going over the bottom half to cut across to the coastal path. Pleasd to see the kite surfers had been out despite the rain and mist as it would have been a shame to waste winds like this. Battled into the wind along the seafront and only saw one other person out, another runner, the usual dog walkers having decided to stay indoors or at least inland where it was more sheltered.

Got home soaked to the skin and smiling, enjoyed a nice hot shower, the fruit's of the last 6 months working on the bathroom.

18.5 miles 2950 feet 2 hrs 56 mins
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

First real run in several months A flat 5.4K in a slow 35 minutes. Something to start building on.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Raced today, local orienteering event, 8.7km across some pretty crappy ground in an hour. Few mistakes made when I misread some ideas of how I could get to a control quicker....turns out, I couldn't. 4th overall, second V40...beaten by the person I gave a lift to :)