Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Today's Run

Post by sean_iow »

Hopefully this is ok and not too far off topic? I've been running for years and notice that when I do more running it seems to help my fitness on the bike so it's sort of bikepacking related. If it's a step to far then just say. I could join a running forum but I get the feeling it wouldn't be as nice a place as here.

I know there's a fair few runners here so maybe it would be nice to share our more interesting runs in the same way as Today's Ride. It might give some inspiration for when we're allowed to travel to other areas again.

I finished work for the year last week but so far all I seem to have done is go to supermarkets, I've done the Christmas food shopping for 3 households in the last two days so I really needed to get out into the countryside and also get some proper exercise ahead of the eating competition that's the next few days. I had a rough plan of where I wanted to go but didn't actually plan a route so had no idea of the distance but as I had all day if needed I'd just take it steady and see how it went.

From mine there was a mile of road before I could get off road, so basically dry feet for the first mile :lol: I passed through a local woods/nature reserve that I usually only go through in the dark, in the light it looks like it might be a potential bivi spot (so back on topic) but I think I'd have to be up early to avoid the dog walkers. Back on the road and then a short section of the Newport to Sandown Cycle Track. They've recently replaced a bridge further along to make it suitable for horses which increase the horse traffic. Someone has sprayed "No Horse Sh1t" on the ground in white paint... and then someone has painted over the top in yellow paint "Bike W@nkers" :lol: That escalated quickly then! It was then up to the top of Brading Down before dropping down the other side, I was looking in the trees for squirrels which are often here when I spotted this

I'm sure this was hung in the hedge at the top of the Downs in the summer so it's made it's way down the hill. Onward past the old chalk pit with this totem

There's a sad story to why this is here which I wont go in to now, but every time I go past this spot I can feel the sadness, I've been past at night and the temperature drops as you go by and there is always and eerie stillness. Once I reached Brading I had to take shelter in an audax hotel to put on my waterproof as it was raining properly now. Across the marshes was dry underfoot as the path is up on the embankment. I passed a dog walker who had that look you always get when seen running in shorts in heavy rain - part surprise and part wondering if you're all there upstairs :lol: Once out of the marches it then got very... well marshy :roll: The path now just across fields, some sections were ankle deep mud, some shin high water and some ankle deep mud with shin high water over the top. It's a small but steady climb up to Bembridge windmill, which I thought they might have put back into action to make emergency supplies now Dover is shut, what could be more British than a windmill :wink:

I think it may need better sails if it's to feed the local population. From here I cut across to the coastal path and turned south to head homeward, straight into a 25mph headwind. The climb up to Culver always looks worse than it is as you can see the last steep bit, which is bare chalk, from a long way off but by the time you get to it most of the climbing is done.

You should be able to judge the gradient to this point and the weather by my expression :grin: This is actually one of my Winter Event GRs but I'll be coming up the road which will be easier. It should have been an easy run downhill to Sandown from here but the wind made me earn every step. Once on the revetment I had thought about going along to Shanklin but as it would be exposed to the headwind all the way I headed inland to shelter. It must have been fate as on a random back street I passed this :-bd

That's a lot of effort to make all them. It was then just a matter of cutting across the golf course, across Sandown airport and home. The airport has upgraded the runway to make the grass strip more 'all weather' and this has been achieved by the use of what looks like a sort of astro-turf. It is clearly reclaimed as it has bits of coloured line and sections of curve on it, it looks like it might have been a baseball court in a former life :lol:

So 3 hours and 17 miles after I left home I was back, I had to take my tee-shirt off in the porch to dry off my muddy feet before I could go indoors but after a summer of biving in the back garden I don't suppose the neighbors* even notice now. So where have you all been? I follow a few boners on Instagram so I know you get out running in places more inspiring than the iow.

* Rather a sad note to finish, whist I was out the woman next door had put a Christmas card through the door. There was a note to say the old lady who lives (lived) apposite me had passed away suddenly :sad: I was thinking about her on the run as she has no family and her sister had passed away during lock-down 1 so she'd would have been all alone at Christmas. It makes you appreciate the little things all the more, like the childish pleasure of running across waterlogged fields. Far too many adults are just too grown up, perhaps that's part of the attraction of bikepacking, it feels a little bit naughty to be outside in the mud and sleeping under a tarp when the grown up thing to do would be to stay home and watch antiques roadshow on the telly :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Today's Run

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

stay home and watch antiques roadshow on the telly
Is it still going?

*I also read dog walker as dog w@nker ... which cheered me up no end :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:03 pm This is actually one of my Winter Event GRs but I'll be coming up the road which will be easier.
Having driven up there, I'm putting that firmly in the category of 'its all relative'!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:21 pmI also read dog walker as dog w@nker ... which cheered me up no end :-bd
I'm guessing the dog was pretty happy too!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Landslide wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:30 pm Having driven up there, I'm putting that firmly in the category of 'its all relative'!
But this is the road that the OS didn't see fit to give a chevron so it can't be that steep :smile: I was thinking about that on the way up, I'm going to say that it's one of the OS 'copyright markers' where they include deliberate things that are wrong to check for reproduction of the maps without permission. At least when I'm riding up it that's what I'm going to keep repeating to myself*

* Only in my head as there wont be enough spare breath to actually speak.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sean, you said
a step too far
I'm not sure such a thing exists on here... Don't tell em at STW (though they might already know) :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

11km circuit around the Dulnain near Carrbridge

It was a bit chilly

Some local history

Mmm. Christmas Pudding ice cream!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I really want a Christmas pudding ice cream now :smile:
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:47 pm I really want a Christmas pudding ice cream now :smile:
Me too 😋
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Yesterday's Run... noting special but I did pass the site of my November BAM

The more I look at the local bivi spots the more a hammock seems to make sense.

I thought I'd reached a new level of fitness as the run to this point was easy and I was flying along, even on the climbs.... when I reached the turn around point I discovered I'd have to run back into a strong headwind :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I nipped out for my first run in 6 months since I fractured my ankle. I’ve just restarted the couch to 5k program again which is probably a little conservative but I feel really unfit so it’s not the worst plan
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

How was it after 6 months off? I find the first run back after a break is always the hardest.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It was ok but not great - didn’t feel the ankle other than right after going over a 50m batch of icy path. I wasn’t exactly overdoing it though, just following the nhs couch to 5 k program which this week (week 1) is just run for a minute, walk for 90 seconds, repeat 8 times. I could have probably started on week 6 but wanted to see how the ankle went first.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

So far this year I've managed 5.6, 6.7 and 2.7km runs. That last of these was done loaded for half the distance, in that I ran to the bakery and back. :-P
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Another gentle pootle out today - skipped to the week 2 program, 90 seconds run, 2 minutes walk, rinse &repeat. I missed my cue as a lorry went past so ran for 5 minutes straight in the middle without any issues so going to jump to the week 4 program next time and see how that goes.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Have you been riding whilst you've not been running? I think lots of these programs are aimed at people who do no exercise at all, so if you've kept active despite not running you'll progress faster.

I also think that as you have been a runner before makes a big difference, it's easier to get it back than it is to get it for the first time.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Just back from 8.5 miles cross country with hills. I ran hard and managed to go under 8 minute mile average for the first time in 20 years which felt great. Got home and uploaded to Strava, next guy in my feed had run the coast path....28 miles!! Wonder what Pritti would say about that?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Was back out last night for the first time since November to keep up my 1.5 months per run average. For someone who has always considered himself a runner more than a cyclist I'm finding it really hard to motivate myself for a run these days. It's always about 10pm by the time I'm free and an hour or so on the bike always feels more enticing than a sweaty 5k. Things should improve when there's some daylight available and I can get off-road without bothering with head torches. Pace was decent, considering how much ice was about though :smile:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:00 pm Have you been riding whilst you've not been running? I think lots of these programs are aimed at people who do no exercise at all, so if you've kept active despite not running you'll progress faster.

I also think that as you have been a runner before makes a big difference, it's easier to get it back than it is to get it for the first time.
I’ve been on two short rides round town since I was allowed back on the bike but other than that the only exercise I’ve had has been going for a walk with the kids.

I agree on the ease of re-getting into it - the pacing and breathing feels natural after a couple of runs and I know it’s just about building up stamina again and distance. Before I tried C25k the first time I used to get shin splints when I ran but I’ve found that by building up the distance gradually they’re not really an issue.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ran from my house over to Kenilworth castle on Sunday late afternoon. Went the off road way to soften the shock on my ankle - it was soft all right. With all the lockdown walking going on (and these are popular paths from Kenilworth out into the countryside) it was a quagmire for 2.5 miles out and 2.5 miles back. Started off thick slippy mud, turned into thin sloppy mud, then for the return became sticky mud that turned my feet into 3kg weights. Got home with dry feet though which surprised me as I always thought the "waterproof" label on my trainers was a gimmick.

Really enjoyed it despite the mud, and has meant that I need to shop for running spikes now (which takes me back a while to when cross country was the normal winter option).

And then a short pre dawn road run this morning - I took a headtorch but I don't like using torches for walking or running as night vision is destroyed, - blimey it was dark, so staying on the road was tricky. Ended up running on the crown of the lanes so I could be sure I wouldn't end up in a ditch.

Aiming for at least 2 runs per week at the moment...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I qualify for the nhs flu jab now so walked over to the surgery this morning and then ran back. Did the c25k week 4 3/1.5/5/2.5/3/1.5/5 minute run/walk schedule. That was more tiring so probably reached the right level. Mental note to remember the right shoes because running in my waterproof Mocs was great for the puddles but really not kind on my ankle
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I shall join in as this is a run focused year. Week 2 of back “proper “ training rather than just running as I feel like it. Last week was a nice 55km week, about 65km planned this week. All fell running, worst case 20% of the week will be trail - effectively zero blacktop as I can run on trail from my doorstep.

Been playing with Turf of late as all the orienteering races are back on pause again. Gave a bit of purpose to my 1hour recovery run at 0700 today. I’d nothing else I was taking sites away from Joolz (rival orienteering club) so I thought it may amuse her!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:28 pm Been playing with Turf of late
I'd never heard of that, looked it up and it could be just the motivator to get me out for more running and riding :-bd There doesn't appear to be any other players local to me but our local Bike Tag group on FB will be up for it.

I'm already planning a 30k loop from my house to run after work Friday to visit some sites :smile:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's an interesting idea, big Scandi following, mostly urban sites in the UK as of now. Suspect it'll gain some traction among orienteers and mountain marathon types over here soon. It just adds a point to long meandering runs that I've been doing on the same trails since March. Don't get me wrong, I love my trail network, but I'm a bit over it now. Want some real mountains again.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Popped out for a lunchtime pootle in the wind & rain and repeated the week 4 plan, just deliberately went a bit faster. Still working out the right gear to run in since I normally wear too much but this time just went in PI amfib tights, BB bamboo top and waterproof beanie. That was a bit chilly but it wasn't raining hard and I wasn't out long enough to really get cold.