Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Today's Run

Post by GregMay »

PaulB2 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:33 am Managed a 3rd run this week with a flat 5.7k in 36 minutes, basically ran out of Stone to Aston and then back into town again along the canal - a whole 19m of elevation gain. Despite going slower on a flatter course than the other two runs this week it felt harder so not sure what's up with that.
Flat run = nowhere to hide.

All comes down to running economy.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Since I seem to be in zone 5 the entire time according to my watch i think the economy is crashing :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

May want to adjust your zones then :)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just been doing my normal runs but I did miss Monday as my calves were hurting, I don't think this was running or riding related and probably from leaning over the front of a land rover when I was servicing it and changing the cam belt last weekend.

As my mileage was down this week I managed to drag myself away from the telly (there's only so much mixed doubles curling and luge I can watch in one sitting) and actually go for a run at the weekend. Running a loop from home meant I didn't even need a rucksack, no keys/phone/work stuff to carry, and it was nice just to head out for an hour making up the route as I went. Pleased I managed to find the motivation as feel much better for it.

7.35 miles 700 feet 1 hr 3 mins
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Wife was out all day on a long run in brutal weather while I suffered through reading a book while daughter did gymnastics, then a bacon an egg lunch with her afterwards... :grin:

Come 1500 I was getting itchy despite the horizontal rain, wind and hail outside. Wife home, got her fed and warm, then chucked my kit on. A quick 9.5 km with 595 m of vert, in 1hr 10. Mental wind up at the Pike, face abrading hail, and knee deep surging rivers. Cracking weather to be out. Smiled most of the way round.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

GregMay wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:48 pm May want to adjust your zones then :)
I think I’m going to have to try a run at a saunter to keep my heart rate to around the 135 level that my layman’s guide says is aerobic.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:01 pm :grin: Mental wind up at the Pike, face abrading hail, and knee deep surging rivers. Cracking weather to be out. Smiled most of the way round.
have you tried therapy or self flaggulation? ? :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

PaulB2 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:43 pm
GregMay wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:48 pm May want to adjust your zones then :)
I think I’m going to have to try a run at a saunter to keep my heart rate to around the 135 level that my layman’s guide says is aerobic.
HR zones are utterly personal. If you want to use HR as a guide - you need to go and figure out what YOUR aerobic threshold is.

Aerobic threshold testing (AeT): https://uphillathlete.com/aerobic-anaer ... ssessment/
Anaerobic testing: https://uphillathlete.com/diy-anaerobic-test/

Short version for AeT - its the average heart rate you can run at for about 40 to 60 minutes while being able to have a semi decent conversation. Literally talk/running HR. FWIW mine is anything below 145 BPM.

MAF zones are an option if you don't want to test (I'm not a fan):https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Usual Monday post work run, thought I'd do about an hour and 6 to 7 miles. Legs felt ok so kept adding hills and distance as I made the route up on the fly.

Ended up at 11.8 miles 1535 feet 1 hr 50 mins. Got back to the start with just enough light to be able to see but the last descent under the trees was quite sketchy, clipped a bit of branch on the track and nearly went down but enjoyed the thrill of descending at speed and trying to pick my line in the half-light.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My wife already thinks I'm odd, I can just imagine the look on her face when I said I went for an hour run while talking to myself the entire time :) I'll give it a go though.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Double day - up to school from the train (2km 160m vert!) then a nice 9km with 260m home. Weather on the way home was bordering on horrible, but on the correct side of fun. Wet, windy, slippy trails - really engaging. Must say, I really enjoy my run commute home from school - such a great way to blow out the pent up frustration from a day of Y9 kids :D
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Usually been walking to and from the masjid fast. Used to run up the hill from the masjid at my parents house as it's a nice steady 5% for around 200m. Started taking the stuff for my joints as it feels the lower back pain is arthritic (olive oil, honey, milk, black seed oil/nigella sativa, counted in drops).

Along with that the back strengeething exercises continue and the physio (£60 :sad: ) apptnt cancelled. Back to the masjid (some people call it mosque, but I can assure it's a masjid) story, so today in many many weeks I decided to give the fast run a go to test the waters. No significant lower back pain and got out of breath. Flat and only about 300m if that (Britain's shortest runs!?).

So am hopeful that in the next few weeks I might be able to pop the trail shoes on and go for a little 3 or 4 mile jog. Watch this space :grin: as that ultra marathon gets closer and closer (God Willing).. Oh, and will read a chapter of that running book I bought this eve/night.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Tried an experiment today - run for an hour keeping my heart rate around the 140 mark, managing 7.8 k in just over an hour. I went over 150 a couple of times on small rises but just eased off until it went below 140 again and then carried on. It felt *so* slow but at just under 8 minutes per km it was slow :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:27 pm Tried an experiment today - run for an hour keeping my heart rate around the 140 mark, managing 7.8 k in just over an hour. I went over 150 a couple of times on small rises but just eased off until it went below 140 again and then carried on. It felt *so* slow but at just under 8 minutes per km it was slow :grin:
Do that, for a few weeks, what you'll notice is that you'll keep the low HR, but pace will change. It's progress, running takes time, but you'll get there :)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Another short run around Stone this time with the added bonus of wind and rain. Kept to 140 bpm ish for the first 40 minutes and then sped up a lot for the last 5 minutes because I needed the loo.
redefined_cycles

First 5k of this year managed today. No hip, knee or back pain post ride so whatever I thought I should do much be working. Watch shouted at me to slow down towards the end (thanks for the heads up Greg and Paul). A little bit of walking hear and there to keep the panting down and the HR in check.

Post ride felt great and gave the watch a smily face when it asked me. Can't wait till next time...

By the way, does anyone know if there's an online diary somewhere of published trail runs (just routes or group events). Ta
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Mixed it up a bit today by doing the tempo run I’ve been doing regularly but shortening my stride to keep my HR to 145ish for the first 30 minutes or so and then just lengthened out the stride for the rest. 7km in 45 minutes.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:48 pm By the way, does anyone know if there's an online diary somewhere of published trail runs (just routes or group events). Ta
I believe they are called maps ;)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Busy few days:

Friday - ran in and out to school, blustery, tired, end of a three week block coming. 11km in the bag.

Saturday - off to the Lakes...then the weather hit. Managed an out and back up to a Wainright I'd yet to run. 11.5km round trip, blown to the ground a few times, chuffing windy and wet . Grand times, 1hr 30mins, 810m vertical.

Sunday - Compasssport Cup race in Hawes near Derwent Water (Keswick). Was on the light brown course, ran 9.9km in 1hr 27 with 320m vertical and 30 controls. Conditions were challenging, bordering on swimming at some points. Had a crap race, made a few major mistakes and paid dearly for them. Wasn't my best performance, but it was so good to be orienteering in real terrain again, not just parks and moorland. Fell a lot. Carrying a few painful scars this week, happy it's a recovery week. I need it.
redefined_cycles

[
By the way, does anyone know if there's an online diary somewhere of published trail runs (just routes or group events). Ta
I believe they are called maps ;)
:grin: fair enough. Was just trying to find some organised (but short) trail runs but without the silly expenses. Will keep using the OS to make my routes for now :smile:
redefined_cycles

Well done on the racing/orienteering in them conditions Greg :shock:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Not my run, but really rather impressive: 100 miles in 12 hours and 41 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60453007
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd spotted that headline, I can run at that pace.... for maybe 6 or 7 miles, but that's about it. How anyone can keep it up for 100 miles :o

I'm still plugging away, as I've got a bike based goal later in the year I'm doing more riding but still trying to do 20 to 30 miles a week of running.

Finished work half an hour early today to make the most of the sun, but still 'breezy' here, had to take my cap off straight away or it was in danger of beating me home.

16 miles 1940 feet 2 hrs 31 mins, quite muddy and several trees had to be climbed over.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My sister and family were meant to be heading in your direction this past weekend but they cancelled due to the storms. I think they're planning on cycling from Chandler's Ford down to Southampton, ferry over to the island and then ride over to Sandown to stay the night and then reverse direction the next day. She said most of it was rail trail.

I forgot that this week was half-term so squeezing in another 20k by next monday to hit my modest 60k target for the month might end up being at the last minute.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

In the Cairngorms, it's been...wintery. So not as much running as planned, but some great family time in the snow. Some skiing, some touring, not all bad.

Today though, had a weather window and we both wanted to run - just a matter of child herding. Dropped the wife off at the Punchbowl carpark on the ski road to Carirngorm so she could do a trail run down to Inverdruie - nice 13km of mostly descent in 1hr 30min. Myself and child dug some holes with the ducks at the loch, then got the bike and ran/rode in to the Cairngorm Club bridge.

Swapped over duties, drove up to the carpark again, deposited me - ran UP to Chalamain Gap (mostly ran, there was some post-holing) then dropped down to the Lairig Ghru. Weather came in so I bailed down the track at the burn (more crotch deep post holing), then down to the Cairngorm Bridge, crossed over and bimbled back to Aviemore. 17km, 700m ish of up, 2hr 45 min.