Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JoseMcTavish

Re: Today's Run

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Got out for my what I'm trying to make my usual quick 25 minutes before giving the kids their dinner last night. My watch was telling me to go at 5:45min/km base pace due to poor sleep the previous night so I ignored it and went at my usual non overdoing it pace instead - If I always had to take it easy due to no sleep I would never get anywhere! The streets were absolutely awash with runners capitalising on the pavements that had been cleared of the snow by the balmy temperatures. It was almost light enough to run through the park without lights so I did, though it was nicer running on the snow through the forest without lights the previous week.

Sean, for your dodgy .fit file, have you tried using fit file tools to change the start time of the activity? I used to get dodgy files from my Garmin occasionally that had messed up start times, so if I changed the start time to as close as I could remember then it would cascade that through the activity and the upload would work. If it's really messed up then cropping a bit off the end can also fix it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:45 am To be fair to Dave, my run only had 84 feet of climbing, he's done that by the time he's got to the end of his road, so there's no way I could run even close to that pace where he lives, but I'd much prefer the hills and coastal path he has to mine.
I yearn for a flat course as I can't get close to the times I used to be able to bang out. But there is a certain beauty in summiting at Alston Hill and seeing Torbay laid out in front of me.

Had to order new trainers today as mine are now destroyed. Will be out later but nowhere near 7:30 pace
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sean, did a search for you. Seems that exact message, including line number, is fairly common. Have a read of this thread on the Garmin forums - https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software ... position-9

One possibility is that there are timestamps missing, a suggestion is to try the fitfiletools section remover.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've started a new challenge - to run every road in my OS grid square. Lunchtime today was part 1 of the endeavour - 3.8km, 77m up, 22m35s moving time.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 pm run every road in my OS grid square
Another good hare-brained lockdown scheme :-bd. Both sides of each road? Both sides in both directions?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I think I'd have a hard time keeping track of all that! I'm aiming for all the roads with minimal retracing of my steps. There are some awkward bits like the cul-de-sac that just gets its "cul" into one corner of the square, so there will be a bit of off-square running to link everything up.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Landslide wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 pm to run every road in my OS grid square
Which size of square? Do I have to do the 1k x 1k one which my house in in? The 10k x 10k? Or all the roads in SZ?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm doing the 1km x 1km OS grid.
It's urban, with lots of Victorian terraced housing, so quite a high density of roads. I can imagine you'd take a lot less time to tick off all your tarmac in the same area (and not just because you run faster and further than me).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Landslide wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:09 pm I'm doing the 1km x 1km OS grid.
Thank goodness for that, I looked at the 10km x 10km and it's got endless roads,. Is this in a single run? If I didn't do any doubling back I'd have to go around the outside of the square and come back in for some roads which would be surprisingly far. Good idea though :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

No set target for number of runs. I reckon it'll take me 5 or 6 trips of 4-5km each.
And I'm allowing doubling back, just trying to minimise it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Seeing as I egged on Sean of the Isles it only seemed right to go out again today. Weather was minging with 40mph gusts and rain. I ran from home up Southdown Hill which is a beast then down tracks to Mansands beach. This was rammed with surfers, hmmm, maybe I'll do a 50 miler on the bike this weekend if surfing's OK. Anyway, along the stony beach and then up a horrible stoney steep track to Woodhuish farm and roads to the top of the hill again. The track up Slappers Hill (yes really) was a disaster of skatey mud but mostly fine underfoot back home as the byway into Brixham has bits of old road on it. 8.18 miles in total, 9.13 mile pace but before you laugh Sean, 1775 feet of climby clamby.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

First decent length run in ages today. From Sheffield, over Houndkirk hill, Burbage edge, higgar tor, another hill I can't remember the name of, up and along most of the length of Stanage edge, couple of miles across the rough heather and then back along my local trails home. 25km, 656m climbing and 2:50. Ankle's feeling a bit rough, but it was great to get out from more than a speedy 5-10km!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ran home from work the long way, took ages as I bumped into an old school friend, stopped at my mum's to collect her shopping list and my legs were tired from this morning :grin: Another 14 miles in a total time of 2 hr 47 min, but that includes the stops. As my watch is still refusing to upload to connect I couldn't say what the moving time was.

Dave, I'd swap flat and fast for hilly and slow anyday, getting to the top of a hill is an instant reward and much more satisfying than trying to get to an arbitrary pace. That's some climbing you did :-bd did you move there for the hills? The West Country is much steeper than people realise, real brutal.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

. That's some climbing you did :-bd did you move there for the hills? The West Country is much steeper than people realise, real brutal.
Yes but I was meant to be cycling them not puffing up in my Ron Hills. I’m aiming for a full coast path run from Brixham to Kingswear. It will take some doing as that’s close to 4k climbing with a lot of it very steep indeed.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My usual 5k has around 30m of climbing in it and it only has that because I deliberately go via the one bump that masquerades as a hill. If I do the 7k that effectively goes around the hill I get even less climbing in.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Managed to sync my watch, my moving time for the run home was 2 hr 2 mins so I spent quite a long time chatting :smile:

I once went for a run where my brother in-law lives (West Butterwick near Scunthorpe) and did 7 miles with about 30 foot of climbing, and 20 foot of that was running up to the top of the bank that's the flood defence next to the river to see the boats :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Last night, easy 45 minutes ticking off some easy climbs and preparing for today. Taking a 16 year old who's been preparing for English mountain running team for a "quick" run over some technical ground today. I am going to be f***ed later.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Part 2 of my "run the square" exploits.
4.8km, 161m up, 33m46s.
Didn't feel great, and my road shoes are rubbing rather painfully on the inside of my arches. Think I'll go back to my trail shoes while I start shopping for some new ones.
Looking at my map, I estimate I've done about half the area, but more like 1/3 of the roads. Probably another 3 runs to bag the rest of them.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:44 am 161m up
Blimey, In one square, Guess that's Steel City for you. You'll be fit as a fiddle after this!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ran with Youth. Did not die. Used my ability to power hike to much advantage. She does not like the uber steep :)

Was a great run. Always forget how fun it can be to run with a chatty teenager. Known her since she was 5 and it’s funny now that she can extract the urine from me as much as I do her.

12km in an hour and a half, 450m of up. 2 tuna melts and chips with coke at the end. Good times.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Went out for a recovery type of run after yesterday's longer one, but started feeling ok after about 10 minutes so went a bit harder. Ridiculously muddy, and the streams were as full as I've ever seen.

8km, 217m, 46min
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had a window between finishing work and dinner so nipped out. A flat 5.8k in 35 minutes felt like harder work than it should do
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

That'd be the long run catching up with you :)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'd mapped out a 10k run this weekend which is probably optimistic :grin: I should go back to building the distance up gradually.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Another 8.2 miler today in gale force winds. Not pleasant at all on the way out but as a bonus I saw nobody. Hilly run which I could have done without as I need some recovery, 1350 ft climbing 9:06 mile pace. One more very long run Sunday then a week of rest.