Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Today's Run

Post by sean_iow »

Sadly I've not been on a run since the 23rd May :sad: I had a pain in my right knee which I've rested for ages and it's mainly ok but I'm worried it might be something that will flare up again if I run. It's been ok for a few weeks so I might try a short test run on softer ground*

* So that will be winter when it rains again as everywhere is like concrete at the moment as it's baked hard clay :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

3/4 or more of my running is on pavement so the beach was a pleasant change - are there any Goldilocks beaches on the island? Not too soft, not too hard, long enough not to get bored doing laps.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

We've probably got about 70 miles of beach so there must be a suitable section, good idea.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

A nice 17km with a work colleague over the moors yesterday before it got properly hot. I only took one bottle and rolled the dice on the spring I know about still running - which it was :) Great to be out for a run over 2 hours, if only just. But the first real feeling that I can actually start to run long again.

Cooked when we got back. Quick shower, then off to the pub for a pint and some food. Was pretty perfect.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

3rd run of the week today. Mainly cos the running shoes were in the car and not the bike when work got cancelled. Took it at a nice soft-landing pace with heart rate set between 155 to 161. Basically if the watch told me to slow down I did and if it told me to speed up I tried that too...

Probably the most trail I've done all week with 8.5 miles in the legs today and another 13 for the last two runs. This was probably the highlight which after a bit I realised I didn't know how to run it. Properly dry and loose mud.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I only managed to squeeze two runs in the entirety of the school break and one of those was while I was on holiday so it was good to get out today. I tried keeping a steady tempo and the hr below 140 but that only lasted for the first km or so before tempo stayed the same but hr went over 150 for the rest of the run. I seem to lose fitness quite quickly if I don't run 3 times a week.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Quick off road run while eldest was at his play session. 5k of short steep ups and downs so ended up walking the steeper bits to keep my heart in my chest. I probably need to run that route in the opposite order so I don’t start off with a 15% climb
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I carved out a bit more time for a run by running directly from my son’s playgroup instead of my usual habit of driving to a spot. I ended up doing a fairly flat 13.2km of mostly pavement in just under an hour and a half at a fairly easy pace - my longest run yet in both distance and time and the legs felt fine
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Busy of late and only popping in.

Did the OMM last weekend, we finished top 3rd in the long score despite partners legs just not ever getting going all weekend. Grand time out.

Did a few easy runs this week to loosen out.

Raced today, easier orienteering course than normal for me (length rather than technicality) , did a win.

Tomorrow, racing at the Peak Raid, hoping to run well.
FLV

Post by FLV »

First run in a long time today. Very good bang for your buck exercise wise.

Can anyone recommend very supportive off road shoes?

My runs are a mix of rocks, pointy ones and complete slop.

Ta
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

it's been runs & runs all day

I've been at it doing a mad dash, hopefull sub 24hr epic completed this evening.

. Bad guts,🚽🚾🪠, :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

FLV wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:22 pm First run in a long time today. Very good bang for your buck exercise wise.

Ta
Supportive and offroad are not thought of as being a thing. Ideally you want the shoe to flex with the terrain.

If you're worried about support, perhaps think more about how you can strengthen your foot and your foot-ankle-knee-hip complex.

Shoe choice is exceptionally personal depending on what you run in most. From a Pennines perspective - Wet rock, mud, more mud, and roots are normal all year round. I tend to mainly use VJ iRocks as they are sticky as can be, yet grip enough in the mud. They have a minimal footplate to protect against rock. In the Lakes, I use La Sportiva Mutants due to the armoured trails.

There is no "one shoe" to work for every person and area. FWIW, I have at least 6 pairs of fell shoes on the go at any one time from dobbed (metal carbide tips) for orienteering, to 190g race shoes with 2mm stack and no protection.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Raced last night, first of the North West Night League series. Despite being second I was exceptionally pi&&ed off. Map was inaccurate, scale was off, features poorly mapped or not actually there. Won't be returning to that venue again.

Ran long today, 2hrs, 16km, 750m vertical - spent most of it either going up or down. minimal flat. Was great to be out above the clagg in the valley and met very few people. Stopped for a brief chat with a bikepacker near Shackleton Moor. Nice fella. We were both wondering WFT is going on with the mild weather. 16 degrees today :/
FLV

Post by FLV »

GregMay wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:50 pm
FLV wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:22 pm First run in a long time today. Very good bang for your buck exercise wise.

Ta
Supportive and offroad are not thought of as being a thing. Ideally you want the shoe to flex with the terrain.

If you're worried about support, perhaps think more about how you can strengthen your foot and your foot-ankle-knee-hip complex.

Shoe choice is exceptionally personal depending on what you run in most. From a Pennines perspective - Wet rock, mud, more mud, and roots are normal all year round. I tend to mainly use VJ iRocks as they are sticky as can be, yet grip enough in the mud. They have a minimal footplate to protect against rock. In the Lakes, I use La Sportiva Mutants due to the armoured trails.

There is no "one shoe" to work for every person and area. FWIW, I have at least 6 pairs of fell shoes on the go at any one time from dobbed (metal carbide tips) for orienteering, to 190g race shoes with 2mm stack and no protection.
I suppose I will get used to it then.

On the topic of many pairs of shoes….. what you seem to be saying is… it’s like bikes?
:-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's worse than bikes. Especially when you have two runners in the house and a child that's orienteering as well.

Saying that, we tend to run near exclusively off road so we don't go through as many shoes as road runners.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I appear to have been talked into doing a marathon in either April or May of next year. It'll be a bit of a jump from my longest run of 13k so might need to actually follow a training plan - can anyone recommend one?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Run consistently for a few weeks before you start anything.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Yeah, I'm getting out 2-3 times a week but they're often quite short so my plan between now and christmas was to just to ensure I get out at least 3 times and run at least 10k each time.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My last run was on the 23rd May :oops: That's when I had the discomfort in the knee and panicked it might be serious. I've rested it (for 6 months :lol: ) so should be fine now as I've not had any issues for the last couple of months.

The other night I had a dream I was out running and I when I woke up I realised how much I was missing it* so I have my kit with me and will be back in the woods after work.

* Whether I'll still be missing it when I'm running uphill later tonight after a 6 month break remains to be seen.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

At least you're restarting in time for all the good weather...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:30 pm At least you're restarting in time for all the good weather...
The trails weren't too bad as it turns out. A few trees down to climb over. The knee was ok I think, I thought I felt the odd twinge but might just have been imagining it. Felt it in my legs, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it might have been, but I was slower than I used to be.

Kept it short at 4.5 miles but it did have 620 feet of climbing, the legs felt best on the uphills, they're not used to the pounding of descending.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Tuesday's run was 10k of rail trail and canal - stayed dry for most of the run but decided to run via a small nature trail to home only to find that the stream was 4 foot higher than normal and was just starting to overflow its banks so got rather soggy feet. Today's run was nominally to pick up a prescription from around a km away so went the opposite way down the Isobel trail before connecting up to the Millenium trail out to Duddas Wood before turning back again to head into town - just after the turnaround point my watch ran out of power and it started bucketing down so I had to plot my route to know how far I'd gone - total distance was around 11k in around 1h20
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:08 pm my watch ran out of power and it started bucketing down so I had to plot my route to know how far I'd gone - total distance was around 11k in around 1h20
It there another way?
Anon. :grin: :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

7 days no running due to some sort of lurgee/flu thing. Back out today, only 7km, but HR and breathing both under control. Also saw Mars, Jupiter and The ISS so that was nice.

Club championships are tomorrow. Not sure how I'll fair. But as it's an orienteering area non of us have used in years, it should at least be fair.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Another 10.8km at a steady pace this morning on a figure of 8 loop around the canal and common in Stone, bringing the weekly total to 32km.