Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Today's Run

Post by RIP »

Looking at that thing more closely, I'm finding some of the graphics a bit unsettling.

For example there's a character with a trumpet for a nose wearing a Santa hat with a sombrero underneath. What's all that about I wonder?

Maybe if you opened all 24 windows at once and drank all the contents the pictures would make more sense?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Woah, just a minute.. (sorry, back again).. yours hasn't got any windows has it? So does that mean when you open the two doors you're immediately faced with all 24 cans? Where's the fun in that then? Surely Crimbo is all about the anticipation. I'd be on tenterhooks wondering if the 24th can really would be a triple-choc caramel-overload genuine-Madagascar-vanilla-pods porter, but with that - bang! - I'd know straightaway!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had noticed them, I think the usual company characters are a Mexican band who are satsumas and they've dressed up for Christmas :???: But it is rather random.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

When you open the 2 big doors there are 24 smaller doors inside. Actually 25 as there's a big door on the top inside :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 pm Ran to work, tied my own laces but one came untied within half a mile of the end. Had to retie it with gloves on as I was avoiding taking them off until I got there when I could do it carefully so as not to disturb the dressings. 7.4 miles, 62 mins

Ran home, went a new way, I've used the path before but not on the run-commute. Added a bit of interest. Fingers were ok, I've only got loose fitting finger bandages on them now. Healing well, I fear I'll be back on washing up duty soon. :grin:
do another turn on the first knot, then do the bow normally. the even out the length of tails & bosw then k ow them again in a looser knot. I've never HD that fail
it also gathers up too long laces...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 pm ...tied my own laces but one came untied within half a mile of the end....
Slightly disappointed nobody's suggested gaffer tape yet TBH.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

My previous Decembers have always involved running the combined ABV of whatever I've drank the night before. It's lead to some EPIC days with hangovers. One year I tried to run 100m vert per 1% of any drink. Got about 17 days in then folded with a massive chest infection! High volume drinking and running does not work for me!

Not doing the usual this year as I've an ultra in 9 days.... so I'll make up for it after that ;)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Easy enout, the usual 2km uphill to work in the morning, a painful 13 mins with 200m of vertical all on road. Can't not run it as I'm often being passed by co-workers in cars and the students on the way to the school. Makes for a good incentive :)

Friday home was the wonderful mid winter cold - but no wind - in the dark. 8km, 350m of vert, some road, but mostly trail. Lots of wildlife out and I was able to run a chunk with my head torch off. Saw some bats, owls, deer and a few foxes. Can't go wrong. Got home and went for a quick shower before pizza and beer with the family!

Day off today, went climbing indoors, and an orienteering race tomorrow as my last long and somewhat fast run before next weekends 75km sojourn along the Norfolk costal path at night.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:53 pm Day off today, went climbing indoors, and an orienteering race tomorrow as my last long and somewhat fast run before next weekends 75km sojourn along the Norfolk costal path at night.
which wall did you run up? enjoy tomorrow's run /jaunt
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bradford to meet a friend. Was good.

"Raced" today, or rather, failed at the first control! No idea WTF was going on in my head but I could not locate the first control, gave up after 15mins. Admittedly I am on the longest, hardest course, and it was sh**e weather conditions, but still. FAIL. Ran on, did the next 19 with little to no regard of racing or having any sort of plan. 1hr 44mins of yomping about the moor, 11km. Bah.

Body and brain are definitely in non-technical trail mode at the moment. Need to get this race done so I can switch back on to actual fell running, and get back on my MTB again.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I assume the costal path in Norfolk is fairly flat? If only the one round the Island was :roll: But actually I'm better at running on hills than the flat, my legs hurt if I run on the flat for too long.

Got out for an hour this afternoon, only local. Made a change to not need a headtorch (although I do have a new one to use tomorrow) and didn't take a rucksack either.

6.9 miles 62 mins 710 feet
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

350m total elevation in 75km of racing, so yeah flat. Which is not my strong point! I'm hedging my bets on the fact that it's a night race, and the weather should be ... frisky.. base on the current predictions.

Only doing it to get points for the CCC/UTMB lottery!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Will you be running with the prevailing wind? 75km into the wind would be tough... but in the same way I like a headwind riding on the flat as it takes away the geared riders speed advantage, maybe running into the wind is like climbing on the flat :grin:

I got a lift to work and ran home. Checked out a footpath that I was considering for a cheeky cut-through for my bivi at the weekend, 5 styles in 50 metres, deep clay with 6 inches of water over the top, that will be why I've not used it before. Tried my new headtorch, night and day compared to my old one, but to be fair it would be as the Black Diamond one is only 100 lumens and the Silva is 400.

Went through Combley Wood and for once turned the correct way when the singletrack came out onto the main drag so no added mileage this time.

13.2 miles, 1390 feet, 2, hrs 10 minutes
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 pm Will you be running with the prevailing wind? 75km into the wind would be tough... but in the same way I like a headwind riding on the flat as it takes away the geared riders speed advantage, maybe running into the wind is like climbing on the flat :grin:

I got a lift to work and ran home. Checked out a footpath that I was considering for a cheeky cut-through for my bivi at the weekend, 5 styles in 50 metres, deep clay with 6 inches of water over the top, that will be why I've not used it before. Tried my new headtorch, night and day compared to my old one, but to be fair it would be as the Black Diamond one is only 100 lumens and the Silva is 400.

Went through Combley Wood and for once turned the correct way when the singletrack came out onto the main drag so no added mileage this time.

13.2 miles, 1390 feet, 2, hrs 10 minutes
could you post a map piccy of where where you went in combley Wood compared to the proposed route. going through the new forest near Norman Land, this happened to us.... cur twilight zone theme tune...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A wet and windy 6.5k in 39 minutes - found a new bank to go up to increase the amount climbed so went over 40m!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 pm Will you be running with the prevailing wind? 75km into the wind would be tough...
I'd hoped so, but the weather forecast suggests headwind and a wet one at that!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:34 pm
sean_iow wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:25 pm Will you be running with the prevailing wind? 75km into the wind would be tough...
I'd hoped so, but the weather forecast suggests headwind and a wet one at that!
get a covid face shield 'wind/rain screen' you know the type attached to specs frames... or just goggles...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Not worried about that so much, more the inset of hypothermia and the inability to use my hands. Three glove options already packed!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ran to work this morning, into a quite strong headwind for most of it, I don't envy you having 75k of it Greg. Find someone big to run behind :wink:

Despite the wind, or maybe because of it as it was only a short distance, I enjoyed the run it. Pitch black when I left home, which I like, managed to keep dry feet on the off-road sections despite the volume of rain recently, did get one wet foot within half a mile of work in a puddle on a tarmac section that was just too long to clear when I tried to jump it :roll: Also saw a buzzard on the outskirts of town, the first time I've seen one in town, but there are lots on my route in so as the numbers increase I guess they'll have to spread out.
ledburner wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:50 pm could you post a map piccy of where where you went in combley Wood compared to the proposed route. going through the new forest near Norman Land, this happened to us.... cur twilight zone theme tune...
This is when I went the wrong way

Cross the road at the yellow arrow and into the woods. Follow the singletrack down the eastern side of the woods and when I came out on the main track I turned left (correctly) and the at the next corner I went right when I should have turned left again. Even though I've ridden through there it just didn't look the same form the direction I was coming from. When I got to the south-western edge of the woods I knew I'd gone wrong (I sort of knew before that but didn't want to have to face the fact and turn back) so followed another bike trail (white arrow) as I knew it finished where I wanted to be.

This is yesterdays

Cross the road at the yellow arrow, follow the singletrack, turn left and then left again at the blue arrow. I still didn't recognise the track but trusted that two lefts was correct. It might be it looks different in the glow of light from the headtorch rather than the day or the brighter beam of the bike lights. In the summer I'd chose the route around the edge for the extra distance but this time of year it's pretty wet through there so best avoided.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Continued my exploration of paths up and down a new 'hill' that I've always run around before. 6.1k in 37 minutes and almost double my usual amount of elevation gain at 54m.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:44 pm Continued my exploration of paths up and down a new 'hill' that I've always run around before. 6.1k in 37 minutes and almost double my usual amount of elevation gain at 54m.
You should use imperial units like I do, admittedly the 3.8 miles doesn't sound far but 177 feet of ascent is much better :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

:grin:

I can think about that once I finally get to do a run over 10k (each time I get nearly there I end up breaking something and having to a take a few months off). The next logical target to work towards after that would be 10 miles (and after that 20k, though if I'm going to do 20k I might as well do a half marathon). Unless I drive a few miles to a trailhead, it's going to be tricky getting over 100m of climbing inside 10k.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Getting. Taper. Tantrums.

15 mins. So easy it was irritating. Grrrrrrr. Greg want to race.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Le sigh.

Appear to be sick so I’m going to be a DNS at the planned ultra. Not happy, but also ok with it.

Such is life.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

5km very fast and angry last night.

10km in to work, 8km home - slightly less angry.

Students are a PITA this time of year.

No idea WTF was going on last weekend but I appear to not be dead. Now have a chunk of distance to make up to tick my arbitrary running target for the year.