Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Today's Run

Post by sean_iow »

I don't think I've ever managed to wear a pair enough to really affect the grip, the uppers fail first. Here it's either hard trails or mud so deep that tread depth is no help. My Scott's last much longer than the Inov8s I used to wear which is handy given the cost of shoes these days.

As I now run to places I do have to run on paved surfaces more. When I was just going for a run I could park up by Brighstone forest, run 14 miles and only have 4 road crossings. Now I run to work I'm limited by the location of the start and end points. I've just measured my commute in and out of the 7.4 miles there is 2.7 miles on gravel/hard tracks and the rest is road or tarmac cycle path/footpath.

Wore the new shoes again this morning, no issue with the blister. Even though they are not particularly cushioned I could feel the difference. I'd decided last night that I'd put more effort in. Managed to go under the hour (58 minutes) and average pulse of 149. That's 7:50/mile and although it was hard my legs didn't fail and there was no injury style pain. Perhaps I got into the habit of running at an easier pace as it's easier :grin:

Frosty on the way in this morning, and foggy, visibility was 50m at times. Not an issue for navigation but it did mean my head-torch was struggling to light up the path so I could avoid pot-holes in the unmade bits and any debris on the tarmac.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I managed a quick lunchtime jaunt on a regular route, 5.5k in 33 minutes. I've got a cold so not sure if that's why it was hard work. It felt much harder than the faster 7k I did at the weekend and my heart rate over 160 the entire time.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:25 pm I don't think I've ever managed to wear a pair enough to really affect the grip, the uppers fail first.
I'm a regular knob ripper offer... but that'll mainly be when I spend a lot of time running in the Lakes or N.Wales on slate. Uppers degrade really fast despite washing my shoes after every run on the hills. The moorland is mildly acidic and a lot of shoes don't deal well with it. Annoyingly, for a British brand (but not even slightly made here) Inov-8 suffer really badly from break down of this kind. Hence I've stopped buying them completely.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:50 pm I'm a regular knob ripper offer...
I recommend every one declines Greg's offer or when he up takes said offer. :lol:
Steady now Greg, you'll get yourself barred. :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nowt wrong with some knob ripping when talking about shoes or tyres or suchlike.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm Nowt wrong with some knob ripping when talking about shoes or tyres or suchlike.
aye, just don't broaden the horizon :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Sacked off running today and yesterday due to storm Arwen. Not a bad idea, we've not had electricity for the past 16 hours, Went to the climbing wall to stay warm.... that pretty much says it all. Finally back now, heating on. NICE.

Wife is racing tomorrow, so I may get out for a quick crunch 30mins in the morning while the snow is still here. Frankly, I'm not worried. I have the tail end of a sinus infection and I'd rather it doesn't go full blown. Really tethering on the edge as only a teacher can. Two weeks until race day, O maybe I should just taper? Dunno. Looking forward to being done with this, once it is over I can get back in the climbing gym and run a lot less. I sort of need a break from the weather.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 pm Sacked off running today and yesterday due to storm Arwen. Not a bad idea, we've not had electricity for the past 16 hours, Went to the climbing wall to stay warm.... that pretty much says it all. Finally back now, heating on. NICE.

Wife is racing tomorrow, so I may get out for a quick crunch 30mins in the morning while the snow is still here. Frankly, I'm not worried. I have the tail end of a sinus infection and I'd rather it doesn't go full blown. Really tethering on the edge as only a teacher can. Two weeks until race day, O maybe I should just taper? Dunno. Looking forward to being done with this, once it is over I can get back in the climbing gym and run a lot less. I sort of need a break from the weather.
sinus I'm bunged up as we speak- sinus issues Pita (or nose). which climbing gym. I use Freeklime in Huddersfield. just boulder no ropes too low...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

..... mildly disturbing .. it was Freeklime :)

Used to climb at Rokt a lot until Covid sorted it out. Hub in Bradford a bit, buth Freeklime works well with youngster! Could be worth meeting up for a climb at some point if you're interested?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:02 pm ..... mildly disturbing .. it was Freeklime :)

Used to climb at Rokt a lot until Covid sorted it out. Hub in Bradford a bit, buth Freeklime works well with youngster! Could be worth meeting up for a climb at some point if you're interested? :-bd
sure! but next free weekend is 10/11th dec
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

That's the weekend I've an ultra in Norfolk sadly. I do plan to be climbing a lot more once that is over though, so I'm sure we can sort something out!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:31 pm That's the weekend I've an ultra in Norfolk sadly. I do plan to be climbing a lot more once that is over though, so I'm sure we can sort something out!

I'll look forward to that. :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

GregMay wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:31 pm That's the weekend I've an ultra in Norfolk sadly. I do plan to be climbing a lot more once that is over though, so I'm sure we can sort something out!

I'll look forward to that. :-bd
I should be free in the morning until 2pm, Sunday 5th Dec. but it's a working weeking, could change.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Meant to run Friday but worked from home and just as I was packing up it started to chuck it down so didn't bother and did some diy.

Thought I might get out over the weekend, went to the workshop saturday morning to help a mate, I was cutting a bit of rubber when the knife slipped off the rule and over the ends of my first two fingers :cry: Cut a slice into one and cut the nail in half on the next one. Managed to stop the bleeding with some tight plasters holding it all together but it would start again if knocked or flexed.

I was in two minds about running on Monday as I didn't know if swinging my arm would start it off again. Took a chance and got a lift to work to run home. The hand was fine but still experiencing pain/discomfort n the shin area so took the direct route home which is only 7.5 miles. It seemed to get better towards the end so maybe I just need to push through the pain and keep going.

Rode to work today and the legs are fine on the bike. The hand was also ok as long as I didn't bang the brake lever. Planning the run in and home tomorrow. The hardest part of running with the damaged fingers is doing my laces up :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:37 am The hardest part of running with the damaged fingers is doing my laces up :lol:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Do they do those in adult sizes?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Salomon's have a Quicklace system which is very good, it's similar to the laces on my Northwave winter riding boots - which is handy as that's what I wore this morning and could do them up :grin:

I might look into changing the laces in my running shoes for something that doesn't require tying a knot as that can be a pain even with non-damaged hands when my hands are cold and a wet and muddy lace comes undone :roll:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I really dislike the Salomon system, it does not stay firm! La Sportiva have started using Boa system on some shoes. Somewhat intrigued by ut . but not £150 intrigued.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'll steer clear of the Salomons then, I think they're too narrow for me anyway.

I have a solution to get my laces nice and tight in the morning.... I'll get Jane to tie them.

I've got boa's on my Scott riding shoes, I have to tighten it several times when I first put them on as it seems to loosen as I walk out to the shed, or maybe its just tightening the lower part as the tension equalises. Weirdly my Northwave with their copy of it don't suffer the same problem.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:12 pm I have a solution to get my laces nice and tight in the morning.... I'll get Jane to tie them.
when I was four, I fell for my first girlfriend 'cos she showed me how to tie shoe laces, :X
- I guess every one else just made it too complicated. 8-|

when I sliced my left index finger with a chisel, on Fri 12th Nov. I added a bit of fresh aloe vera* taped in place under plaster. on the 2nd night. it knited really well** & properly scabbed almost overnight. then I taped it over a plaster like a sucture. It healed in about 3 weeks, (thought I feel it if I knock it), just a scar.

* the pulp has natural healing properties.
**A clean moist environment speed's up the healing process, so our mum's were wrong saying let the air get to it straight away.. (or they had run out of plasters :???:)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ran to work, tied my own laces but one came untied within half a mile of the end. Had to retie it with gloves on as I was avoiding taking them off until I got there when I could do it carefully so as not to disturb the dressings. 7.4 miles, 62 mins

Ran home, went a new way, I've used the path before but not on the run-commute. Added a bit of interest. Fingers were ok, I've only got loose fitting finger bandages on them now. Healing well, I fear I'll be back on washing up duty soon. Made the effort to go further and the shins were ok. 13.3 miles, 1000 feet, 2 hours..

Got a beer advent calendar, first one tonight. I've run 20 miles today so I've earned that :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 pm a beer advent calendar
I just knew something critical was missing from my Crimbo planning!

Where on earth do you keep it though? I mean normal advent calendars with those little 1"-high chocolate things in each window are, what, 12" high and 8" wide or something? If you've got 24 bottles of ale in yours that must make it higher than your rooms surely? And it must weigh a good 12kg as well. Being the Munsters house, the Perrin ceilings are possibly higher than some, but I doubt if an alevent calendar would fit even here. Unfortunately.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's 350mm wide X 600mm tall. It's got cans in so only 140mm deep. It does stand up but I've got it laid down in the front room :grin: I did recently clear the coffee table of my torro, joystick, head torch, garmin, power bank, charging leads, etc. so I had some brownie points to spend. I'll see if I can post a picture.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP

Post by RIP »

That's bonkers! :-bd But presumably they're not full sized cans? Or has my measuring ability gone a bit awry?

My alevent calendar would be the same size as a normal one of course because I, er, only have a bottle on Friday evenings so there'd only be four windows.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster