Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PaulB2

Re: Today's Run

Post by PaulB2 »

I got a little carried away on my lunchtime run and joined a few of my longer loops together so ended up going over 10k for the first time in around an hour and five minutes. I was so hungry by the time I got home I could have inhaled the fridge - probably need to start thinking about bringing some food and water along.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nice one!

If you're only out for an hour you don't need food (maybe water) you've more than enough stored glycogen and fat.

I rarely carry any food on runs less than 2 hours. I'd only carry water for short runs (<90mins) during the summer.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi all...

I want to aim for a marathon this year, but have knackered my left knee from overuse during a 240 mile road road in the cold. Didn't have my pronator insoles in, as I was using the merino winter insoles instead with spd as opposed to normal hiking boots, which I'd normally use at this time of year. Outside of the knee is totally knackered and working on it with rest, gentle exercise and some kinesium/strapping tape. In the meantime the physio told me that these things take on average about 6 weeks to fully recover, but I'm working on fast tracking that a little.

So todays activity was a gentle walk instead of a run (or cycle). Went to work which got cancelled just before arrival. As I was near the Forest of Bowland, I thought I best go for a little walk up there as I always remember how pretty it was when I last cycled through. Didn't actually get there as it was another 40 minutes driving. But I could see it (I think) in the distance.

4.5 miles of which 3 was off-road. About 1 hour and it was nice. Hopefully in 6 weeks I'll be able to start jogging up these sorts again but until then I'll stick with brisk walking. A few pics...

Well I think Forest of Bowland is up yonder!

Birds in amazing formations.

Aside from the bird that sat still, this was probably the highlight of the walk. Interesting rehab for young offenders by the HMP services. Rehabilitation by farming :smile: Bet it works well.

The bird that sat still for the shot.

Twas lovely to be out and really missed the mtb. Hopefully I can get it out soon enough for a tiny ride.

Where the BW begins.
redefined_cycles

GregMay wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:46 pm Nice one!

If you're only out for an hour you don't need food (maybe water) you've more than enough stored glycogen and fat.

I rarely carry any food on runs less than 2 hours. I'd only carry water for short runs (<90mins) during the summer.
Good tip thanks Greg...

NB. Just read your last post about the LFT... I do hope you'll take a good few days to relax and do nothing (well not much) whilst the body recovers.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Thanks, I'm doing ok, a lot of doing nothing and watching Hobbits on the telly at the moment. Not feeling too bad at all. Happy to be having quite a mild response (post vaccinations and booster)
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'm looking for a new head torch for running and here's a good as place to ask as any. We're talking gentle pace, all low level and 1-2 hours max probably. My 2006 era petzl tikka isn't bright enough for the darker trails and it just chews through the batteries if I have it on high so I'm hoping something more modern will be a bit brighter and either be rechargeable or last a lot longer. I've got a sneaking feeling I've asked this before but couldn't find it so here we are :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

For short runs I use a Petzl Iko Core with the rechargeable battery (i have a spare battery also) .

For long runs I use a Petzl Nao (spare battery - aka wifes battery - if taking for longer ultras)

Both are excellent. The fit on the Iko is odd at first, but really works for me.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Game on Wayne.

First post covid run. Only 10km. 450m of vert. to one of my favourite view spots. So good to be out in the sun after too many days sitting staring at screens wasting away.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Thanks for recommendations - the Nao looks overkill for my limited usage but the Iko might suit. Looks wacky but considering how much I'm gurning as I'm running that's the least of my worries :grin:

Managed a 6.5k on Saturday around Stone after dropping my eldest off at his playgroup - I need to work out some routes around there with less tarmac since I have about 1 1/2 hours to kill most Saturdays and it seems a bit pointless driving back home to go for a short run and then driving back again.
I also nipped out today for a quick (for me) 5k. That hurt enough for me to know I need to get a lot more steady miles in my legs before I try and up the pace back to where I was pre-ankle issues.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Tooks Thursday and Friday off, felt really tired from going back to work - decided trying to train and walk around teaching all day was not the best idea 10 days after getting the lurgee.

Ran today at our orienteering club champs race - really relaxed event, handicapped score so that everyone has a chance of winning. I more or less had given up on the idea of being able to run hard, but still tried. I ran ok, navigated poorly by my standards, and did ok. Daughter (4.5yrs) did quite well! Managed to get 6 controls including some of the more complex ones (mummy may have helped) that were up some horrendous hillsides. Guessing she is going to have a massive handycap...wonder if she could beat me?

Anyway, 45 mins, 4.8km, 350m of vertical. I had a bit of a sit down and a grump at the end, ate some food, drank some fluids and chatted with wife/kid - then opted to run home. Not far, but a nice extra 30mins, 180m of vert and another 4.5km in the bank. Felt fine, didn't run hard, but moved well.

Going to try a "long" run tomorrow, 2 hours or so, to see how my body reacts.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

We sometimes do silly things just because it seemed a good idea at the time :roll:

My 2021 Strava report said my coldest run had been -18C back in Jan 2021 in Appleton, WI. Here in Peterborough, ON we are having a colder spell. So I decided to do an early run before the traffic and work. Forecast was -24C so I dressed what I thought would be appropriately. Except I used my usual running socks and woollen hand mitts :oops:

ImageCool Running by Andy Wright, on Flickr ImageCool Running by Andy Wright, on Flickr

It was somewhat colder and although I had a great run it was clear at half distance there would be a price to pay as my hands were getting cold and my buff kept freezing solid. What I hadn’t appreciated was the effect the cold was having on my feet. Until that was I got back and removed my gloves and socks :o

I was lucky that I just had chill blanes and painful hands and feet for a day (maybe a little more). Worse is a blister on my left foot 2nd toe

ImageCool Running by Andy Wright, on Flickr

A good reason therefore to upgrade my sock collection and get the warmest overshoes for my ride later :grin:

ImageCool Running by Andy Wright, on Flickr ImageCool Running by Andy Wright, on Flickr

Lesson learned ?? Maybe :cool:

ImageCool Running by Andy Wright, on Flickr
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Brisk does not even come close to the words I want to use. I'd probably opt to not run in those temps :)

~~~~

Short steady run today, 1 hour, 350m of up, a lot of "flat" for Calderdale up on the trails that surround the valley sides. Stuck to a lot of places I don't go often, but get quite a good view. Felt ok after yesterday's race, but definitely tired, not at all close to recovered - but still, only 14 days since I tested positive, so can't grumble.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

GregMay wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:35 pm Brisk does not even come close to the words I want to use. I'd probably opt to not run in those temps :)
I’m certainly taking more notice of the weather report before I head out. We are 10 days into a cold spell with at least another week to go. It’s also important to take note of the humidity. As when that drops, the cold gets more intense. -14C at the weekend but just taking a glove off for a few seconds leaves you with a frozen hand.

We had snow on Monday night leading to this view at 3am

ImageOntario 2022 by Andy Wright, on Flickr

This time I wore my alpaca wool socks and Aquatex gloves with mechanic gloves under. Feet toasty warm and hands ok. I also wore traction grips on my Salomon Speedcross Goretex shoes. Most of the sidewalks had already been cleared by 6am, but had a covering of compacted snow or ice. I never slipped once!

Snugg calf guards and alpaca socks

The final part was alongside the river. Where the vapour was rising off the unfrozen section next to the lock. I had to return with my camera to capture it

My damp clothing became ridged and frozen and I quickly jogged back to the house.

Take care with your comeback. Same for Richard.

I saw this article in my Six Minute Mile email subscription that may be of use to you both

http://us20.forward-to-friend.com/forw ... 02104d356e

Andy
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I lived in Toronto for 6 months 10 years ago or so but managed to miss the snow. That looks cold.

Only managed 4.5k yesterday lunchtime due to having to truncate the run to go pick up a poorly youngest so topped it up with another 8k around Stone while the oldest was at his playgroup.
redefined_cycles

Been struggling with my back recently and got physio booked for next month. Lower back! Went for a fast paced walk today. No pain when I departed and lots of pain when I got back. Pronator insoles institu...

Anyway, the thought that I had was that I need to aim for an ultra marathon (off road off course) or maybe just a trail-marathon (obviously one thing at a time). So watch this space... weird target I know for someone with serious biomechanical issues :o
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Raced today, actually felt like a viable option before I started, so that's a sign of some recovery. Local club orienteering event, at a venue I've won at before, so I was confident I should be able to do ok.

Ran easy for the first two controls then started to pick the pace up. There were 26 controls (plus finish) to get round. Wife was 33min and felt like a decent time considering the ground was sodden.

25mins + change, 4.5km, 190m vertical, good enough for 1st place again. Race was basically a hill rep session using a small, but featured park!

Didn't feel great afterwards, very close to throwing up, breathing was ragged for quite a chunk of the race and I never felt like I pushed to "normal" depth of pain. Data supports it, 9 BPM off my normal race max, and similar off my normal anaerobic HR for that sort of distance/time. Possibly just some internal governor protecting me.

Either way, winner winner literal chicken dinner tonight.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Was time to try a longer run today. Wasn't sure how it was going to pan out, so had some company in case I had a long boring walk home - or otherwise. Plan was to be very steady and take it as a real low effort endurance run. I even brought food and water :)

Out a nice long climb on railway gradients tracks of old up to Gorple and onto the Pennine way, 12km of up in 1hr 40min, then the sedentary return to town on the Pennine Way and a few rat runs on singletrack.

All in 18km, 2h 10min, 550m vertical, no real breathing issues once I'd got through the 15min at the start that is proving to be the main sticking point with my chest. Good times.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:-bd
GregMay wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:47 pm no real breathing issues once I'd got through the 15min at the start that is proving to be the main sticking point with my chest. Good times.

[Edit] :grin:
Last edited by ledburner on Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Double run day, first one of those in a while. Only to and from work, but still nice to get out. Felt great, bar the horrendous wind!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Had a quick lunchtime 5k yesterday in the sunshine yesterday - it felt like a fairly consistent 5:30 pace but according to my stats I threw in a 4:30 km in the middle which I would have thought I'd have remembered doing :grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Another sunny lunchtime 5.5k via the canal. I could get used to this running in the sun lark.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

11 degrees today, WTF, it's February! Short shorts, long top, 5km at a nice fastish pace up, over and around my local loop. Nice.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Local orienterring racec, 5.6km, 33mins, 30 controls, did a win. Felt really, really good today. 6mins ahead of second place apparently....
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Managed a 3rd run this week with a flat 5.7k in 36 minutes, basically ran out of Stone to Aston and then back into town again along the canal - a whole 19m of elevation gain. Despite going slower on a flatter course than the other two runs this week it felt harder so not sure what's up with that.
redefined_cycles

Not quite a run but a really fast paced walk to Halfords and back. Just short of 1.5 miles, 22 mins. Knee or back not hurting at all. So been doing some exercises for when I'm ready to start running again. Press ups, squats and hopping on the toes (as per some input from 6 minute mile). Stopped when the lower back gave a bit of gyp.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can pop on the running trainers and go do a 5 mile trail to see how it goes. Watch this space :smile: