Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Today's Run

Post by GregMay »

A true example of training in the sub standard to be able to race in the sub standard today. 1 degree, raining, snowing up high, wind, and trails that were rivers. Knee deep at points. I very rarely wear a waterproof when I run, but I left the house in one and waterproof shorts and kept them on for two hours. Went through 3 pairs of gloves. However, a good run out, easy pace, nice chat with my mate.

2 hours, 14km, 550m vert, one accidental total submersion in a "river" that was supposed to be a bridleway, toasted cheese sandwich and a brew when I got home.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Wales is going to seem pleasant in comparison to your recent training.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Verena

Post by Verena »

GregMay wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm A true example of training in the sub standard to be able to race in the sub standard today. 1 degree, raining, snowing up high, wind, and trails that were rivers. Knee deep at points. I very rarely wear a waterproof when I run, but I left the house in one and waterproof shorts and kept them on for two hours. Went through 3 pairs of gloves. However, a good run out, easy pace, nice chat with my mate.

2 hours, 14km, 550m vert, one accidental total submersion in a "river" that was supposed to be a bridleway, toasted cheese sandwich and a brew when I got home.
Yuk. Kudos. I bet that cheese toastie and tea was heaven afterwards.
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:09 pm Wales is going to seem pleasant in comparison to your recent training.
Of course it will, Wales is always pleasant :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:09 pm Wales is going to seem pleasant in comparison to your recent training.
That is the hope. I'm very much of the opinion that if you train in the worst possible conditions anything else feels easy.
Verena

Post by Verena »

GregMay wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 pm
That is the hope. I'm very much of the opinion that if you train in the worst possible conditions anything else feels easy.
Out of interest, what are you training for?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 pm That's Archie. Gatekeeper here
I was just reading back through the thread and Archie caught my eye, has he been stolen? I think they were talking about him on the Radio 2 breakfast show a few weeks back.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Verena wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:51 am
GregMay wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 pm
Out of interest, what are you training for?
Paddy Buckley round and another potential thing.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pre-snow easy run, last of the rest week. Only 8km, 40mins or so, easy and flat.

Was good to get out early doors, but the wind temp is cold. We have a prepare to be stood up for the MRT due to the probable incoming snow.

Looking forward to being back on it bext week. Feeling reasonably rested.

50km ish 1,400m of upz
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Today’s plan was nice and simple - warm up, run 25 minutes, then warm down. It was a bit brisk out so it was a bit chilly during the ‘warm up’ but once I got going it was fine. I went on a slightly different route to take in a short stretch of single track - my running shoes don’t have the best grip off road it seems. It felt good and due to the detour I was still a ways from home so ended up running a few extra minutes, not sure exactly how many. I’m not sure I enjoy it as much as cycling, it’s much more effort, but there’s a similar rhythmic feel to settling into a pace
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Maybe a little too much red wine last night which delayed my start till 2pm. The easterlies were up and I was sorely tempted to sack it off. But Helen’s made crumble and I plan on necking large quantities of it. I left home at sea level and within a mile was slipping all over the place on muddy trails. Took a while to get away from humanity (the car parks are rammed) but a few miles later I’d done a mini coast to coast as I dropped into Galmpton Quay. Next up woodland trails through the aptly named Long Wood. More sludge and at 7 miles I was feeling it. I passed a couple of other runners going in the opposite direction and we exchanged knowing whinges. Then the road intervened with a long hard climb up Mount Ridley straight into the easterly. I was done at 10 miles but nowhere near home. Mostly downhill from this point but just as hard when you’re running. Tracks, alleyways, the occasional sea view saw me grovel home. 14.5 miles, 2000 feet of ascent and snot all over my jacket. Longest run for 30 odd years. Where’s my crumble?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

{disclaimer - I am in no way a runner, I'm really not sure I'm built for it} Those who do run, how do you find your 'rhythm'? I hear runners talk of it but it always alludes me and I never reach a point where I'm able to switch off ... is it just practise?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you're not a runner then you may have the same problem I did (and still do).

My first couple of km is generally awful. Everything hurts, I'm stiff and cold. I feel every footfall. It was only when I started to run further that I got the determination to get past that stage. Once I do, I settle down a bit and have a very consistent pace. Of course, after a while, it all starts to hurt again. The fitter I am/more running I do, the longer that middle phase lasts.

Oh - I never normally use headphones when cycling or running. However, I have some old Ibiza dance music that, if I listen to, sets a rhythm whereby I run a bit quicker than usual. If I'm having a good day, I'll even set a PB. If I'm having a bad day, that sets me off too fast and I just die quickly.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Same way as cycling. It comes and goes. I just like being outside
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Verena

Post by Verena »

GregMay wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:41 am
Paddy Buckley round and another potential thing.
Crikey!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Do you realize that we're on page 4 here and still talking about running, no sign of lowering the tone towards the gutter??

I seem to be falling back in love with running at the moment, after falling out of it last summer (having too much fun on the bike). It might be a winter thing. Less time needed to get a decent workout, easier to maintain a daily stable and comfortable temperature, generally warm hands and feet, and o so much less faffing - just stick trainers on, and afterwards chuck clothes in the wash and self in the shower, done.

The rhythm question Stu, agree with the others, I have no idea, it comes and goes, maybe with going more regularly the brain switches off, and I also don't generally listen to music, but have noticed on the occasions I do that it makes me a bit faster.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I went for a very slippy-slidey 6km through the local woods today. It was heartening to make it round despite it probably being a fortnight since I last ran.

On the rhythm thing, I think it took me a while to get into running, but having done couch to 5k once, I've since found it pretty easy to get back into, despite having had over a year without any running.

ScotRoutes' point about the middle bit also strikes a chord.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Stu,

Flow state occurs more for me when running than riding. Usually creeps up on me when I realise I’m cruising through a trail and not paying attention to the world. I don’t get the same feeling from it as I do on a bike, still effortless, but less positive feedback than a perfect descent on a bike.

But, it’s nothing like when it happens climbing. All of those perfect times surpass anything on a bike or on my feet. I can still recall some early moments of it, definitely the most recent one. It’s more tangible when soloing or run out than it ever will be on a muddy track where I may bump a knee.

For me these states always occur when mastery of the activity is not something I’m striving for. When I’m on form as such. Movement becomes natural, less forced, fluid. Like those times you drive but can’t remember driving.

In other words, keep doing it and it’s more likely to happen.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A vert light dusting of snow and temps not getting above zero all day meant the usual mud was a lovely crunchy surface, not too hard either as it was only just frozen, like running on pastry :grin:

I kept clear of the frozen puddles and had dry feet the whole way for the first time in months.

Only 7 miles, 660 ft and 1 hr 3 mins but just the ticket after a 2 hour on-line HAZOPs assessment meeting this afternoon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:52 pm lovely crunchy surface, not too hard either, like running on pastry :grin:
You're a better pastry chef than me then Sean! Actually I'm not that bad, but recently my shortcrust hasn't been cooking properly inside. Tried blind baking first etc but can't seem to rectify it. Maybe the oven's bu88ered.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Back in the Arctic Claws. Dobbed shoes make this sort of weather a bit less worrying.

Easy hour collecting some of the new Turf locations that have popped up. Needed to do a chunk of vertical in the sun so ran on the other side of the valley to the house. Somewhat infuriating looking at all the moorland covered in a dump of snow (knowing itd be stupid to try and run in it) that would be perfect floaty powder on skis.

9km, 1hour, 400m up.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

All the tracks are too icy for running but Mrs Routes was heading out in the car this morning so I got her to drop me off so I could run back on the road. Bloody Nora it's was cold, with - 10c in places. I've not run in air quite as cold as that before and it was just painful breathing it in sometimes. It's also the only time I've run wearing an insulated gilet and I was very glad of it.

For Stu..
0-3kms, tough, sharp pains in thighs. breathing laboured.
3-9kms, in the zone, rhythmic, comfortable
9-10km, getting tired just waiting for home.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Well that was a close call, nearly missed the start of parents evening :)

Got a bit excited and ran a bit too far from the house in a straight line. Realised it when I was on the way back that I needed to be quite efficient in my route choice across the moor or I'd probably miss the first parent! Made it with 8mins, semi business attire up top....running tights on below. Still.

10.5km, 1h 25min, 380m vert.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It was a bit nippy out this morning but there was just the lightest dusting of snow. The podcast called a for nice simple 25 minute run so I thought I might as well push it a bit to see how the fitness was going - 5k in just over 28 minutes with a mahoosive 30m of elevation.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Been running for a year, just as something different to do, but really enjoying trail running and looking forward to the time when fell races are allowed to happen again.

Out of the door, along the road for half a mile and then into the woods, across Elland bridge, cheeky wall climb (V0-) across the fields, limbo under the fence, bit of canal, unadopted and up the cobbles to finish.

5.5k, 37mins, 107m