Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Today's Run

Post by Verena »

Tried some hill sprints today, as recommended by young miss Z. Off road and uphill, so low impact on the joints. Short and sharp, and she says it'll be great for my cycling as well as my running. Nice views too from the perfect field we found. Good enough for me, will try that once a week.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Usual post work Monday run, I had more time so decided to go a bit further. Bumped into Dan Williams (Local ultra runner and previous holder of the fkt for the iow costal path until just before Christmas when someone broke the record) and stopped to say hi, I knew who he was as I follow him on Instagram. Chatted for 10 minutes in the car park, he was just heading out. When I said I was parked at Newport he said he'd run the first few miles back with me and before I could say anything we were off. I was a bit apprehensive about what the pace would be like but he took it easy on me. First time I've run with anyone other than Jane but it was fun.

13.9 miles, 1434 feet, 2 hrs 3 mins (running) plus stoppage time.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Always nice when you get to run with other people. One of the socially fun things about fell/mountain running is that nearly everyone is happy to be out in nature - doing it with someone else just makes it better.

Easy run after work today, now that schools are back I can run on some of the hills closer to work on the way home, not been on these loops since December so they feel like a present! Took in two trig points with a lot of contouring in between. Tussock land. Just over 10km in an hour 15, only 200m of climbing, body felt like it's been smashed. I think a combo of faster running over the weekend and the "potential" stress of whats happening on Friday when all the students are back is to blame. We shall see.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had to go pick up my bike from the bike shop so decided to run there on a circuitous route, Around 6 k in 36 minutes. That distance is almost comfy, now I just need to find the time to start increasing it.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

That was brisk and windy! I set off way too quickly so ended up only doing 5.5k in 32 minutes after my legs started complaining.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Back in school . Turns out I’m still fatigued so I’m on a second rest week.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Went out for a short, hilly run but my thighs cramped up within the first mile so I ran a few funny shaped loops around the golf course instead. 6km, 180m, 36minutes rather than the intended 6km, 350m and a bit less time.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

This weekends long run was horrible. Wind, rain, slop and no real motivation. A ploddy 14.5 miles and I need my tea NOW
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

With all that talk of long runs in the other thread I thought I'd best extend my horizons a little so I did a whole 15km today, in 90 minutes.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Today was one of those slightly annoying days, where the weather/ forecast is so changeable, that I was genuinely undecided between bike and run... and changed my mind several times before setting off, as the weather changed between brilliant blue skies and sunshine one minute, and leaden skies with hail and sleet.
In the end, running won. Is it just me, but I am just no longer in the mood for getting cold and wet on a bike. I mean, if it was July or August you'd expect it :lol: , but March?
Anyway, some local tri club people I follow on strava had recently done some off road loops round town, combining several bits I had done before, but never thought to put them together, so it's worth being on strava after all.
As runs go, it was as close to a good bbb ride as you can get it without actually having a bike. By that, I mean slow, hard going, vaguely interesting, and very very muddy :mrgreen: . I went past this little thing (sorry about the picture, not very good), which always makes me smirk, as I think it would kind of make quite a nice (very) little unofficial bothy - only one would have to fold oneself up very neatly, or remain vertical.
ImageIMG_20210313_091514 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
It was really nice to see some lambs and the daffodils out
ImageIMG_20210313_092646 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
and the fallen tree was easy enough to duck under.
There is a short section of bridleway up to St Eluned's (former pilgrimage site), which even in summer is hideously muddy, so today after a night of heavy rain, it did not disappoint! I was mid calf deep in some places, and thought I might lose my trainers if I went too fast. Strava did one of those hilarious things where it told me that I am now officially the 3rd fastest woman in the world for that one - mostly because nobody is daft enough to go there :lol: !
For me, a decent longer run at 15k, haven't done that for a very long time - slowly slowly but who cares.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

4 days off running. Today 5.5km in 40 mins with 250m of up. Wind, so much wind. Not mine.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I run neither fast nor long but I have run consistently 3-4 times a week over the last 3 yrs after taking it up again, Not that I did that much when I did do it before.

Run today was 6.5km in 36 mins, chasing Teen on bike with dog. Elevation was 70ft. Well, this is Norfolk! A bit cloudy but all through trails and fields and very enjoyable. Not a covid in sight.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A bit chilly but the rain held off. Turned off the music today and just got into a good rhythm. A flat 8.1k in a steady 49 minutes which felt very maintainable.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

14 degrees and sunny here. First run with the new watch. I didn't know how the legs would be after Saturday's ride but took it steady and they seemed ok. The watch says it will be 1.9 days until full recovery.

Only thing is as I've got my Covid jab on Wednesday I'm doing this week's run comutte tomorrow, so that's only 13 hours recovery, hopefully the watch is being overly cautious, besides, the only data it has is my age, sex, height and weight plus the info from today's run so a bit early for it to be judging my abilities :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Run commute, took it steady and it wasn't too bad despite my watch's predictions yesterday.

I was thinking about the route on my run in, it's nearly flat and also mainly off road on good tracks and at just over 7 miles about the ideal length. I can make it as hard as I want based on the pace I choose to run at, so when tired like today I can just take it easy. Much brighter in the mornings now, I miss seeing the sunrise on the way in but I wont be starting any earlier just to see it. Watch says 2.7 days to full recovery, time available for recovery until next run, 8 hours :lol:

7.36 miles 87* feet 1 hr 3 mins

*The watch said 177 feet, and checked on my mapping which says 127 feet, but which ever it is that's still flat.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Was pulling nice and steady 10ks and starting a half marathon plan until about 3 weeks ago. Since then been laid low with extensor tendonitis. Biking is fine, but it'll be Monday before I start running again. Wondering how much fitness I'll have lost.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you've been riding in the 3 weeks you might find you've not lost any fitness, if you've been doing some exercise it's more like a 3 week taper than time off, you'll probably be faster :smile:

Ran home from work, that was hard going, I'm glad I've got a few days to recover.

11 miles 1 hr 45 mins 887 feet
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

16 degrees.... :D

Shorts, t-shirt, shoes and socks. That was all. Straight up through the forrest into the sun and stay in it as long as It was still above the skyline it was trying to hide behind. Ran into the sun for the first 40mins (mostly up) before turning for home and a nice 20 minute descent to the house. Blissful.

9km, 1hr, 350m of up.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

An even flatter than normal 7k in 42 minutes. I need to dig out my OS map to work out how long a route out to the ridge line north of town would be.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Didn’t have a lot of time today so squeezed in a just over 5k run in 31 minutes. I managed to go down a couple of roads new to me and found yet another couple of footpaths to avoid the main roads
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Back on it again, feeling a lot better.

Easy 6km last night on the way home from work. Shorts and a LS t-shirt as I knew I was going to be running faster, but on exposed terrain. Starting to leave the bag behind me on runs, feels so nice to be running without a pack with winter kit in it!

Today, hill reps, 15mins WU, then 4 x 30s medium and 6 x 15s full effort on 3mins. Chilly, ended up in a waterproof jacket to stay warm. Spent the rest periods listing to the first of the curlews when my breathing got back to normal. Solitude on the side of a hill running up and down a 50m stretch of moorland. S'all right.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

MapRunF course in the next town over. Need to get my head back in a map before we start racing for real again. Amazing how time away from an orienteering map causes rapid skill fade - more so than anything else I've experienced. Short run out to warm up (15mins or so) before a brief rest and out. Hit the first 6 controls perfectly, managed to stay at a point where I was moving fast, but still able to keep the map in focus. Running trails looking at the map not the terrain at speed came back to me faster than expected, helps that it's slightly local to me and it's been dry.

Issues with a dog caused some time loss - chavs goading their dogs on me was not what makes a day - but was a decent approximation of messing up an entry/exit from a control, so took it as a simulation and worked on getting my head back in the right space to think. I've struggled with negative mindset in races before, causes a massive cascade at each subsequent control - so of all the things I did today, this was good. Back in a really good mindset after two quick controls. Breathing well, can still see the map. Haven't lost touch with position. Run the map. Do the verb to be the noun.

Control 11 to 16 perfect flow, don't remember much about the running, just that I was moving fast and not stopping to re-orientate at any point. Flow flow flow through the next crop before the longer legs start. Fast running, more route choice. Issue seeing the map on one of the climbs, close to redlining so back off a touch. Fast descent, tag the last two controls and head for the exit O.

Happy. Hit most controls perfectly, no exit errors, a few bits I could work on. Planning to run it again next week as part of the night series - full gas this time - no dogs hopefully.

55:21, 9.2km, 290m of up.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Just finished off my Run The Square project.
5.9km, 34'19", 110m up.
Enjoyed it. After a week where my anxiety burnt me out a bit, I forced myself to have a few days rest. Running brought me that calm, detached feeling that helps the worries and angst fade away. Thankfully, no dogs to deal with.

Total stats for the square (including a bit of double-running some sections):
23.9km, 2h28m16s, 550m up.

Not sure what to do next. Leaning towards getting Mrs Landslide to drop me off at the top of a hill approximately 10km away, them running home...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Pitched the tent in the garden last night for the 1st time. After waking and making porridge and coffee on stove, ran with dog and Teen on bike. A bit over 7k, 45mins. Scoped out a wood that is about 3 miles from home and when checking distance back home, it looks like there is a pond of some sorted deeper within it. I'll cycle up there next weekend with the dog and see how it looks for an overnight in April.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Long run Sunday. Met my mate Alan for a party pace run. I'd run 3km out to meet him so was annoyingly warmed up as we hit the first hill, obviously I did not slow down to accommodate him. That would have been fair of me :)

Topped out, then started the first descent of many, the only really runnable one of the day. I'd not really let him know much of the plan other than "Hebden Flat" which normally means <1,000m of climbing. We did a route around the moorland plateau and added in some short ups to some of the climbing areas for some work on technical ground.

Surprised at how warm it was, I'd also not brought enough water so I was being quite careful with my drinking only having 600ml to play with. 2 hours in and it was close to gone, no water spots to fill up on as the land is heavily grazed. Took a very esoteric route over to the next hill top (tussock heads for 1km) before finishing my water. At the furthest away point from home we could be. I may have had my karma for the initial pace up the first hill.

Ran the wonderful single track off Manshead End before recalling that the cafe may be open at the farm shop. Did my best impression of a saharan scorched European and they filled my bottle. Mooched off to find more woodland singletrack to avoid the sun for a bit before dropping into the valley floor and a 5 degree change in temp. COLD. Bimbled home on the trails that lead to the house.

Great day out. Felt strong the whole way round, spent most of the time chatting - proper sign of easy aerobic work.

4hrs 35mins moving (4:55 actual - Alan pees a lot), 35km, only 870m of up, so a pretty flat run round here.