Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Today's Run

Post by redefined_cycles »

GregMay wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:35 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:21 am Can I just ask in here pls... Is there any specific stretches I need to do before and aft of a trail run (working up my mileage... at 0 at the mo) to ensure I'm not putting myself towards an injury. Don't want one of them and obviously I'm working on getting the optimal shoes for my needs/gait already...

Any specific links I could just click so I'm not trawling the internet with half-answers... For reference I don't stretch for or after a ride but used to in the early days...
Stretch.... what's that then? :grin:

Work on running on the flat on easy ground, then worry about trails and fell afterwards. Canal towpaths and paths are your friend when you're starting out.
Thanks Greg. Glad we see to eye to eye on the stretch-front. Thanks for that info on canal towpaths and the likes. Missus would have killed me as to where I had planned to take us on the first outing. Will stick to thw local parks for now then...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Run home - had shin splints from the off, weird as the volume of running I've done this week is within my normal range, eased off after about 4 miles. Maybe it was from the high speed tarmac descent this morning off St George's down, when running down the road you can see how steep it is and why it's such a lung buster running up it.

Went a longer way to mum's so should have been about 12 miles in total but it was just under 13 when I got to the junction by my house so went down the road and back to round it up to a half. The neighbours must think I've forgotten where Iive when I turn the wrong way and after a few hundred metres turn back :lol: It got quite hard towards the end. I ran based on HR zone again, which this afternoon was between 30 and 45 seconds a mile slower than this morning, could be the fatigue or perhaps the heat, it was about 8 to 10 degrees hotter than this morning.

13.2 miles 833 feet 2 hrs moving
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

The shoes came. Scarpa Rush, his n hers. Missus liked em but no interest in going out running just yet. Baby (Abdur-Rahman 6) offer so off we went. Down to a little trail I usually go mtbing on. First section is the 'sub standard-your-dog-here' track so I needed to keep reminding him not to run in the grass.

Got to the path and about to head towards the rockery but he spotted the cows and calves. Thought I'd be a good dad and asked him if he wanted to go check em out. Obviously the anser was yes and off we went. Slight uphill and then stopped to view... He fell and we continued... erm.

Came back to the car and reminded him he needs to wash his scar with soap and water when we get home... 'silly, silly, silly' I was told. Apparently you don't use soap on scars and honeys too sticky.

First run, just over a mile and will see if the Scarpa Rush are ok for my overpronation. Time will 'telleth'... If not then possibly some more insoles/inserts.

Did I feel guilty after he slipped on the gravel for bringing him in stamdard tennis shoes... Maybe!

Don't get views like this in London do ya!

Only other thing I thought about was whether I needed a gps watch yo make number-counting a bit nicer. We'll see...
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

The pup is now old enough to run which has helped me find my mojo again. Image
Had a great week running the trails around Kingussie with him first thing before starting family holiday things. When I say running it's a loose interpretation of what we do! :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ring of Steall. 16km, 1650m of vert.

Can’t say much more than believe the hype. Utterly fantastic way to spend a morning. Didn’t run fast or hard, party pace, but it was a great few hours. The scrambling sections are not that severe and the views, in patchy sun and shade, were excellent.

10 days now up real North and we’ve had one evening of rain. 4 year old now utterly convinced “it _never_ rains in Scotland daddy. I’ve never seen it” Which to be fair, in 5 trips in 4 years she has not managed to see much of it. Snow... yes :)
redefined_cycles

Target today was 5k... Got the lad ready with his bike, or did he get me ready with my shoes. After 1.6 miles of recording with potentially more running I thought I'd never hit target.

This was probably the worse sections of trail with which I really appreciated what Gregand Co actually do. Most of the rest was slightly easier with grass banks and broken park-pave'.

This pic is what I actually took the phone out for. The hills surrounding Dewsbury and at the time of shooting it all seemed a bit underwhelming. But it looks pretty cool...

Got home and good old strava reported only 2.1 miles. But then the phone pinged and told me it's noticed my 5.1k run. I'll take that :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good run is a good run. Enjoy it for what it is. Takes a while to get your body used to going big in the mountains. Totally worth it when you get to that point though.

Mosly been walking Munros with family this past week. Been quite good.
redefined_cycles

Managed to break my 5 miler on proper trail and possibly some edging on 'fell running'. Tried to be as careful as poss and even hit the tussocks. Turned back after the trail disappeared and I was obviously getting into worse territory.

Lovely day for it too and thankfully didn't have to 'fast-walk' too much.. Some pics

Managed to nab a couple of VV squares too that had been alluding me. Happy days!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good work, now you're up somewhere that running becomes fun. The moors around us are excellent. Go find some new paths that are good for running, but not great for bikes :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Tested out my new commute yesterday - I'm changing schools in September. All the palava of the past 18 months made me realise that I want to go back to removing any reliance on our car for commuting, and moving more towards a run based commute over the winter months like I had in the years past.

First test was on the full winter commute (aka ice and snow) where I can get the train in to the town below school and run straight up. Total isn't anything amazing, but 120m of gain in 1.8km distance does make it a bit of a stiff run straight out of the doors of the train, only 12 minutes, should be able to get that down to 10 with practice. Door to door - 25 minutes. Happy with this. Roughly the same time it'll take to bike in.

Quick breather to get HR down and then headed out on what will be my commute home most days. 3km of an uphill section on the road gains me another 150m of vertical before hitting the edge of the moorland. The next 5km is a mixture of trail and then pure fell, right into my running grounds so I can extend or shorten with road, trail or open moor which ever way I feel like. Mostly looking like a 50min run home over the tops, 8km, with roughly 250m of climbing. This will be perfect for winter training on the way home from work without impinging on family life too much.
redefined_cycles

GregMay wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:13 am Good work, now you're up somewhere that running becomes fun. The moors around us are excellent. Go find some new paths that are good for running, but not great for bikes :)
Thanks Greg... Yes, it felt good and was a gorgeous hour or 2 out
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Shaf, now you've opened up all sorts of possibilities, I seek out footpaths that I wouldn't take a bike on, it's a great excuse to explore.

Greg, new commute sounds ideal :smile: I like my run commute, most people can just about grasp using a bike to go somewhere instead of a car, but opting to run instead of drive as a means to get somewhere blows their mind. It feels quite rebellious to run to work.

It's testiment to how engrained car use for travel has become to the general public that they only think of cycling and running as something you do for exercise or leisure, which is what makes getting car use reduced difficult, they can't imagine any other way to travel.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 am It's testiment to how engrained car use for travel has become to the general public that they only think of cycling and running as something you do for exercise or leisure, which is what makes getting car use reduced difficult, they can't imagine any other way to travel.
I didn't bother getting a car licence until I was 30 (had a moto licence since 18, and could drive a car) and I used to run/ride everywhere. Only reason I ended up with a car licence was as I was racing abroad a lot more and needed to drive to the races in rental cars. I still refuse to own two cars, there is no need to do so if you organise your world around not NEEDING a car. As you say, once people are used to using a car for everything, they assume it's impossible (or rather, persuade themselves it's impossible) to operate without one.

My daughter knows no better than to commute and move by personal power, and we're aiming to keep it that way. She's ridden/walked to nursery and school all her life. Prior to that she was biked to nursery. She walks to the shop. Train and bikes/runs too the pool. It's only racing or holidays that she gets in a car for. We don't live in a very urban areas, so to do this takes more time certainly, but overall is way better for us/her and the environment.

I watch my neighbours daily get in their car to drive to the shop, which is a 10 minute walk down the hill. They are the same age as me, ever so slightly younger. They are not unhealthy. They often take more time trying to then find a parking space when they get there, and when they get back up to the road outside the house than I would on a return trip. It baffles me.

Anyway, off for a run - they joy of a teachers summer :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Weather was only going to deteriorate further so I laced up and went out. 10km in an hour.

Straight up onto the moor behind the house doing my best to avoid the wind (no joy there). Up up up (380m climbing in 3km) and stop where I know above this I'm going to get pummeled by the wind. Drop and contour around the edge of the moor taking in 5.5km of descent back to the valley bottom. Easy cruise back home.

Felt really good today, enough to put in some sustained efforts and to hit a flow point for the first time in months. Running singletrack without thinking about where I'm putting my feet, not even noticing that I've covered a section of trail. Perfection. Woken from it by the intense smell of heather blowing across the moor. Had to stop and recognise that its happened. Always.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Steady run day today. Trying to work out a few things that have been setting my running back over the last few weeks, issues with hydration and poor race performance mainly. Start of a process that is working towards some longer term projects.

2 hours on the cards, first hour harder than the second, aiming to ramp my body on a warm and humid day with a decent breeze to work out what is happening with my sweat rates. HR needed to stay pretty consistent throughout the efforts to make it work - steep and possible to run was the plan. 700m vert in 2 hours in 16km.
redefined_cycles

Managed to (almost do) half marathon today. Working on mysquare but the miles came with it. Knees aren't too happy but it was well worth it. Gave em the coldwater treatment...

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Blimey, that's ramping up the distance pretty quickly! No wonder your knees are feeling it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Landslide wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:03 am Blimey, that's ramping up the distance pretty quickly! No wonder your knees are feeling it.
That's what I thought, Shaf, don't overdo it. As cyclists we're in an odd position, our hearts and lungs are much fitter than our running legs. If we were starting from the couch the cardio would be the limit that stops us getting injured, but because of the fitness you have it's easy to get carried away.

No exciting runs for me, but still ticking over on the commutes. I've had to be home early for the plumber the last 2 Mondays so got a lift in and ran home. Ran to work this morning. I was considering running home as well but made a deal with myself that if I got here in under an hour I'd get a lift home, 59 minutes later I was at the office :smile:

I used my new rucksack for the first time, Inov8 Adventure Lite 15. I'd need the capacity to bring my shirt and trousers home if I'd not made the cut-off. It's meant to be for ultralight summer run-bivis but not got got round to that yet :sad: It has soft-flasks (my other packs have proper bottles) which are a pain to get into the sleeves on the straps but at least I don't have to take them out to drink. I assume this is the case for all soft-flasks?
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:03 am Blimey, that's ramping up the distance pretty quickly! No wonder your knees are feeling it.
Thanks Sean and Landslide (sorry, I forgot the name again :???: :sad: dyslexia... everyone should wear name badges I say :grin: )... Yes, That's what I was worried of aswell. I originally planned a 7 mile route and would have been done but the coastal path was just too beautiful and I probably got carried away tracking it for a little longer. I do regular fast walking so that might have helped a little and during the run I did have moments of walking (regularly).

Let's hope I've only just brought myself up to half marathon distance and can maintain that for a few weeks :o before going any farther... Will stick with five milers for the next few runs too... :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Sean - soft flask tip, blow back into them to make them rigid then insert them. I'm a fan of them for short runs, but use hard flasks for longer runs where I want to be able to pop them in and out.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers Greg, I thought there must be a trick to it.

My legs felt ok at work so rather to than just walk across town to meet Jane I decided to run a short loop to our meeting point (5 miles) to bring my weekly total up to 19.5 which is the average needed for my 1000 miles/year target. Headed out on the cycle path but then turned off to go over St George's down before dropping back down behind Asda, the meeting point.

Went down a new section of footpath, I had previously stated I'd been on every path on the Island but I'll have to retract that as I keep spotting bits new to me, even if only short.

4.93 miles 470 feet 46 mins
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Deposited child at birthday party. High-fived wife. Started running with her. A rare 2 hour intersection of our time, first fell run together in a year. I got warned not to smash it... I didn't until near the end :)

2 hours, 13km, 470m of vert.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Felt tired waking up. Felt tired having breakfast. Felt tired playing with daughter. Still, had a run to get done and tired legs is what I've been aiming for - I've a real race coming up in 3 weekends time (50km ultra with 3,300m of vert.) so I need to be pushing a bit in the next few weeks.

Within the first 2 mins of running I was mentally accepting that this was going to be a slog. Had a hilly 2 hour route planned, did 90mins of a still hilly version (400m vert) over 8km. Profuse sweating, greasy underfoot, running like a blob, but at least no one about to see me. Felt rough. But got it done and banked it for when I feel really rough in a few weeks time.

Next week is more of the same but with the added twist of a fast race on Tuesday, then a 3 day mountain marathon over the BH weekend. Should be pretty mullered by then, will take a week of recovery running and then a week taper into the ultra.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Orienteering race last night, one that on paper should have suited me very well, a red graded race. Lower technical difficulty, with much longer distances between the controls. Similar to a mountain marathon.

Started off not the way I'd have planned it with an hour and a quarter MTB ride carrying all my kit to get there. Our car is getting a gearbox rebuild. Saying that, it was a great ride over trails I've not been in quite a few years.

Rolled up and had a spare 20mins to get changed in a bush, down some water, and chat with my clubmates before the time came to start running. Map was double sided, 14 controls on 1:5k and 10 controls on 1:25k on the other side. Hit the first four controls really well, flowing between them with not much effort, made a mistake on 5 taking a line on the wrong side of a river, made up for it over the next few controls where I was reasonably fluid. 10 controls in and I was feeling solid, navigation was on point and up in the newly mapped area I knew the older members of the club didn't have an advantage over me. Control 14 found and flip the page and onto the 1:25k map.... woooah! Brain shut down for a bit as I adjusted to the distances, took a while to get used to the crap OS mapping vs orienteering mapping (much much less useful info on OS). Screwed up on the 15th control and lost a lot of time dithering. Then started pulling it back together over the next few. Got slightly chased by some cows. Fell in a hole. Some cramping (first time in years) and then pushing into the section I thought would have me back on the 1:5k map...but no, we were to use 1:25k across orienteering ground - brutal!

Flopped over the line knowing I was at best third as I'd been passed by the two who started behind me. Lost one more place and ended up 4th overall, but happy to see 1st in the V40 category. So that's not too bad. 10.3km with 260m vert in 78mins. Now the small matter or riding home.... had a minor bonk, ate some food, rode over the tops while watching the sun set. Not shabby - a nice 45km of bike time added into the day.

Rest day today.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm just re starting a bit of running. Ive never really been any good at running a decent distance or time in the hills.

I don't really enjoy running round the streets etc so I will stick to the hills (I'm lucky enough to have paths heading up very close by).

I dabbled a bit last year but wasn't actually any good at it but enjoyed the reduced hassle in grim weather.
I'm sure as autumn and then winter evenings approach heading out on foot will show its advantages.

I'm sure it will take a while to get there, but I'm sure I will and starting now should mean I may get better at it by winter too.