Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Today's Run

Post by sean_iow »

Didn't get out over the weekend as I was working on the bathroom, so firstly, too busy and secondly, no bathing facilities. Took the bath out Thursday evening ready for the plasterer on Friday and finished putting it back late last night.

This DIY is just like a multi-day race as by the end of the day you're filthy, worn out and don't get to shower before bed. I even bivied in the garden Saturday to try out the quilt attachment straps I'd made, so work up at first light still grimy form the day before :lol:

Today's run, car thermometer said 29 degrees and no reason to doubt it. The heat was bouncing off the chalk. Even taking it easy was hard work, drunk half a litre of water in 7 miles. Pleased I made the effort, even more pleased I've got a working bath, absolutely dripping in sweat. Back fitting the new floor later though :roll:

7.1 miles 827 feet 1 hr 11 mins
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I had a similar sweat inducing run over the weekend. Was memorable in a bad way!

Did a very easy 30mins yesterday morning before work, and the same at the end of the day today. Not quite as hot, but even 30mins in it was a bit much. Not due to cool down either. Bah!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ran to work this morning, first time in a while I've been able to due to external factors.

Left home at 06:45, the mist meant it was actually cool (relative to the days) but by mile 3 the sun had burnt through and it was warming up again. By the time I got to work it was about 15 to 17 degrees. Took it steady so as not to arrive too spent.

No showers here so a wash in the sink and shirt and tie on. It's likely to be 10 degrees hotter on the way home so that's something to look forward to :roll:

7.3 miles 63 minutes
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ran the homeward leg last night, took it steady due to the heat/humidity. I go a different route home from work so went over St Georges Down, which involves running up the road to the golf course at the top. It's one of those climbs where the thought of it is worse than the actual running/riding up it. It's only 0.7 miles and 260 feet so barley a pimple compared to actual hills.

Made it up fine and along the top but by the end of the ridge I was going a bit wobbly but an emergency gel and some water sorted that. Made it home ok though, via mum's to collect her shopping list.

8 miles 740 feet 1 hr 20 ish
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Went on the run I postponed 2 weeks back as today the previously cancelled site visit took place. I surveyed the old railway tunnel from Wroxall to Ventnor. It's 1200m long under the downs and about 100m below ground at the deepest part. It closed in the 60s and is now leased by Southern Water, they use the water from the drainage through the tunnel. Because of this entry is strictly controlled and the portals are secure and alarmed. When people do go in to they only go part way to the apparatus they are working on. I went right through, out the other side and back. What's all this got to do with running?

Well, the Whitwell to St Lawrence tunnel (on the other old Ventnor line) is no longer secure, so after my survey I changed into my running kit and headed west. Head torch on, slip through the hole in the portal boarding and ran through tunnel, out the other side long enough for my watch to pick up the satellite signal and back through. Headed back to the start via the costal path.

As they've both been closed 60 ish years and entry to the secure one is so strictly controlled I'd guess I'm the only person alive to have been through both in both directions on the same day :smile:

In fact, as they were on different lines heading in different directions, even when open it's highly unlikely anyone would have been both ways through both, maybe one way through them, so I might be the only person ever. Next survey isn't due for 5 years so should keep that achievement for a while.

6.3 miles 960 feet 65 minutes
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I trust you've created a Strava segment for it?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:34 pm I trust you've created a Strava segment for it?
Lol, sadly no reception in the tunnel so people would cheat... Or do you mean the Southern Water tunnel? Didn't think of that, blast, I could have had the KOM for the next 5 years :lol:

I'll post some pics on Monday when at work and at the pc.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A day late but here's the pics form the run through the tunnel.

St Lawrence Portal, hole through the sheeting on the right-hand side.

I don't know why but a child's bike left stood at the entrance is quite sinister, certainly set the mood for entering a disused tunnel, just like in the movies. Pleased to see they had set the cranks level. :grin:

My view for the next half a mile or so. The walls are stone and the arch brick which I wasn't expecting.

Light at the end of the tunnel :smile: The other portal is fully open now. Friend's who've been through before said there used to be loads of junk at this end. The fact that it's been cleared up might mean someone s going to do something with it.

Moody skies on the return leg back to the car. After a day in tunnels it was nice to be out in the open, and the rain made a nice change from the recent heatwave.

Mondays Run - Only the usual after work, bit still raining and only 14 degrees, so literally half the temperature compared to the previous week. A nice change from the heat and I was able to go much faster. Got a proper soaking , had to sit on a plastic bag to drive home :lol: Once in the car and on the way home my knees started to ache, but I think that might have been the cold as it was chilly once stopped.

6.9 miles 840 feet 59 minutes
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Last two weeks have been really odd. Struggling with stomach issues during the working day, let alone running, felt really, really poor most of the time. Have had quite a few emergency trail side deposits without warning. General feeling rubbish.

Still tipped along with usual after work runs, shorter and less intense than normal, took out one run commute and replaced it with a bike commute.

Sunday, went out for a tentative 2 hours while wife and daughter were off at gymnastics. Within the first 10 mins I was thinking "game on Wayne" and started to run up to my high point of the day, a 35mins climb, all fell, a lot of power hiking. 21 seconds under my PB - while staying 100% in aerobic zones. OK....something is working. Next hour was a joy, tipping along dry trails, choosing to run fast on the downs and cruise the flats, uphill not registering as hard. Something clicked, not sure what, but it would appear that it is back to normal again.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Was short , slow and felt like hard work, but did involve running right past a big herd of cows - and for the first time in years I wasn't scared :grin: :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I always walk past cows, the ones here get excited and think you want to play and chase you if you run.

Ran to work this morning, was stopped by a lad on the cycle path who handed me a phone and asked if I could drop it off at the police station. Have you found it I asked? No, it's mine, I don't want to be tracked by it, I'm not a bad person he says....

I promptly hand it back and make my excuses and head off, but it did occur to me that my prints and DNA are potentially on the phone now :roll: hopefully it is his and not his last victim's :shock:

Despite this delay I still made it there in an hour so faster than my average for the route.

7.3 miles 1 hour 157 feet.

For the run home I decided to go by the top of the air shaft that's on the tunnel I surveyed a few weeks back. I needed to inspect the visible brickwork. This added a bit of distance to the run. Not really feeling it as I left the office but as the shaft is a pain to get to by car (it's about a mile up a bridleway and that is also off a small dead end lane about a mile long with no parking) I stuck at it. Just over 9 miles to the field with the shaft in, thankfully no cows in there today. Across the field, looked at the brickwork then onwards. Up over the top of Ventnor Down, dropped down to Shanklin and the towards home, really struggled at times. Called in at mum's for her shopping list and raided the sweet jar which helped. I live less than a mile from mum's but as I got to mine I decided to run down the road and back to round up to the next mile, as I don't like to finish on an even number, so had to do an extra 0.75 miles :roll:

17.1 miles 2:40 moving time 1730 feet

That's 24 miles for the day, think I'll have a rest day tomorrow :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Welsh 1000m Fell Race yesterday, in that heat. Was a brutal day out on many levels, part of which being my lack of fitness, part of which being tiredness at end of term.

Anyway, odd start at Aber due to the chasing start, already 20 degrees at 0900 at this point. Felt mentally ok, wanted to run, which was good. Track up to Aber falls was faster than me so I plodded along and took shade where I could. Up and around the falls before the start of the real climbing into the Carnedau begin. 90mins in and top out on the first of many bumps on the way to Ogwyn.

Drop into Ogwyn and it's hotter than it should be. A lot of bodies lying around the checkpoint trying to cool down. I made the mistake of not doing so, grabbed water and bounced - I should know not to do this from audaxes.... but no, I'm still an idiot. Fell really, really dodgy on the way up to Y Gribbin ridge, having issues putting foot in correct place on flagstones let alone a G1 scramble. Plod on regardless. Come round a bit in the breeze on the top of the Glyders. Push on down to Pen Y Pass.

Bottom of the Pyg Track, mate who retired at Ogwyn hands me a bottle of Tango, I've not managed to keep any food down in 90mins so this is good. It goes in. I plod on. It's "a bit hot" at this point. Oddly, for this part of Wales, no where to cool off in stream. However, the irritating number of womblists on the track is still the same. Crack on, head down, get it done. Up the switchbacks, Crib-y-Ddysgl, irritation at people getting stoned near the highest point of Wales almost brings me to say something, almost. Dib at the final checkpoint at Yr Wyddfa. Thank the marshalls. Start the long walk down the Llanberis track. 7hr 14 racing. 32km. 2,700m gain.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Wow, that's a big day out in any conditions but in that heat it's even more impressive.

Last Monday I did 10 miles with 2000 feet of climbing in the rain in 15 degrees, felt fine and loved it.

On Wednesday I ran to work, 'only' 17 degrees on the way in. On the run home it was 26, maybe more. It was only a flat 9 miles but I had to stop and walk twice as I was just falling apart. I need to scout out routes with shade untill the temps drop.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It was a big day. A good day, even when it sucked :)

Rode in and out of work today and it was a wonderful feeling of deep fatigue. Haven't had that in a while. Bike for the rest of the week until my quads settle down. Serious DOMS at the moment.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The fatigue after a big run (or very big ride) is a special thing, it's not something that someone who's never experienced would understand, like trying to explain what being just the right side of drunk is to a non-drinker.

Monday - post work, car said 32 degrees, it might have been a few degrees less bit still roasting. There was a tiny breeze and that and seeking out the shade made it bearable, just. I took it easy to save from overheating. Got back to the car and I was 0.1 miles short of my target so did a lap of the block and added an extra 0.5 miles.

6.6 miles 820 feet 1 hr 5 min

Today - I wanted to run to work to try and keep up my weekly mileage* but didn't fancy the run home in the heat. Luckily Jane works in the same town so I ran in and will get a lift home. It was much better at 18 degrees** and as I didn't have to save anything for the return leg I could put more effort in. Felt ok as well and the 3rd fasted time for the route (out of 19) so pleased with that.

7.4 miles 120 feet 58 minutes

* I seem to do well one week, run after work Monday and to and from work on Wednesday. The following week I ride on the Wednesday as I miss the bike and say to myself I'll get a second run in the weekend and it never happens. I want to average 19 miles a week but currently I'm stuck in a rut of 6 to 8 miles one week and then 26 ish the next trying to make up the deficit :roll:

** 18 degrees at 6:30 am is still taking the mick, and it's not like I can reduce my clothing any more. In December when it was 1 to 2 degrees the only difference was I had a windproof on as well and I'll end up with the sleeves pushed up once I got going. How people run in the desert in the MdS is beyond me :???:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

32 degrees running is hot hot hot!

I'm on bike all week as my legs need a rest. Will run on Sunday assuming I've sobered up from the end of term ;)
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Very little running at the minute - ground is dry enough that a short bike ride requires no cleaning so I'm doing that instead of short runs. Did get out for a fair sized one last Friday, as I broke up a day before the kids. Mate of mine took the morning off so we set off early.

Took the direct way up onto bleaklow from near the snake pass Inn, across open moorland to near Alport valley (first dip in a river) and then up to bleaklow stones. Across the top of the plateau to the Overexposed wreck on top, and then off to the west to a couple of much less well know plane wrecks. Amazingly, found them from memory despite not being to them for about 7 years. Couple more dips in a river and waterfall, then up doctors gate to snake summit.

Across the A57, and along the Pennine Way flags for a bit. Got bored of flags, so took off across the moorland to a nice scramble up onto Kinder. Across the top, and then back down to by the snake pass Inn. Way too many examples of "wild camping" (litter, burned circles etc) in snake woodlands, a massive contrast to the solitude and regeneration elsewhere on the route. Pretty hot, about 27, by the time we got back. 23km, 900m and over 4 hours Image

Accidental cock&balls in the heather, as spotted within about 3 seconds by MrsE
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

After a week on the bike recovering from last weekend, I went out for a soul run with my mate Matt.

Early doors, slightly hungover after the end of term celebrations, nothing too fast. Both of us nattering away, putting the dog into water to cool her down, finding some random paths and running up to the sky. Found the trigpoint and stopped. Talked for 15 minutes, enjoyed the view and the company. Down down down the fellside almost playing in across the sponge like surface. Back into town, spied our kids at the playground with wives and ran on to quiet homes, a coffee and the start of 6 weeks off.

Never have I felt like I've deserved school holidays more than this year.

Then went to the circus :)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bunked off Monday's run as I was feeling tired after the weekends riding, or maybe the talking wore me out.

Thought I'd make up for it by running to work and back. On my way in this morning I was flagged down by a cyclist going the other way on the cycle path who asked if it was possible to get to Alverstone. I had joined after there but thought the flooding I had gone through yesterday would have gone down by now. Made it to work in 1 hr 2 mins for 7.3 miles.

On the run home it occurred to me that this morning's cyclist might have been asking about the last section before Alverstone which is prone to flooding, so I decided to go past that secton, it's sort of on the way to my mum's. I may have given him some false hope this morning

No easy way to get round it, there's a river either side, so only one thing for it

Just as I made it out the other side 2 cyclists arrived, a girl of about 14 ish and I assume her brother, maybe 8 on quite a small bike. I warned them about the water, that's ok they said, we went through it earlier, and with that off they peddled into it, well over the cranks for the little guy. It didn't phase them at all, future bikepackers :grin:

10 miles 938 feet 1 hr 32 moving, stopped off at my mum's on the way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not me but MrsPB is a keen trail runner. All organised races have been on hold since early last year but as things are easing, a local race happened last night. Starting at 6pm to avoid the heat, a storm hit with strong winds and hailsones which turned the limestone trail into a skating rink. The course was 18km with 1900m of ascent and involved a bit of rock climbing for good measure. This was a more benign bit that I could get to by bike.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Up in Scotland at the moment - was supposed to be running 4 days of the Scottish 6 Day O.... but it's all been toned down (rightly so) due to rising case numbers - and that they can only have 1000 competitors at each venue, each day. As opposed to the normal 3,000 it would attract.

Day 1 today, and I'd totally cocked up my planning with a long race today, after a 2 hour drive (and two days driving sight seeing on the way up - including the excellent Glasgow Science Centre) with the pukemonster (4 year old daughter) in the back of the car. Suffice to say we arrived stressed, but less so after I dictated that daughter now had to be driven with her sand castle bucket to puke into.

Wife just made her start - I sat down in the sun to have a sandwich and start to refill said 4 year old with food and fluids. Sat in the sun, nattered with some people, then went off to do the string course with daughter. Went well, she got a toy octopus. Highlight of the holiday so far.

Wife finished with time to spare for me to get a warm up while on the way to the start instead of the normal "F.F.F.F.Run run run." Then it all went to sub standard. Messed up control 1 - no idea why, just was not switched on. Took a few controls to get my head back into it, but then felt really poor in the heat. Hit a good 5 controls well. Then faded, really faded. Forgot to trust myself, really lost all confidence in my fast nav in this past year, but got it together for the last 4 controls.

Overall, happy with not last - did get a few faster controls - made some good decisions - but overall, fat and flat. That was the best way to describe today.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've not been orienteering for years, I should go again as it was good fun.

Monday - Usual post work run, but I did an out and back for a change instead of a loop. The Tennyson Trail is basically all uphill from Newport to Brighstone Forest, although bits are more 'false flat' than climb. But they are nice to run on the way back and as you get nearer the end on the return you can keep upping the pace. I also had my HR on display on the watch and tried to stay in the amber bit (there's and arrow that scrolls round a 180 degree section that is split into 5 coloured sections, the top one is red and the next down is amber) which is 139 to 159. I had to run faster than I normally would to keep above the 139 on the downhills but I still felt good at the end. 10.7 miles 980 feet 1 hr 30 mins

Today - Usual run to work but I decided I should alter the route as I've been going the same way since last October. At Merstone instead of following the flat cycle track onto Newport I tuned right and headed up over St Georges Down. This climbs 165 feet in a mile so not too steep but more than the normal run in to work. The climb has been badly washed out in the recent rain. There are a few concrete fence posts laid in the track to protect it from erosion. It's a singletrack climb/descent and quite good fun coming down on the bike. It turns out the posts are actually present most of the way up, now exposed most of the way as the ground above has been washed away, with posts sticking up and gaps between them. Ok to run up but I'm glad I found out going up on foot and not coming down on the bike at speed to round the corner and be met with that! Did the run based on HR again and kept in the same zone. Despite the diversion it's nearly the same length as the flat route. Only took 1 minute longer than the flat version did last Wednesday. 7.4 miles 430 feet 1 hr 2 mins
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Can I just ask in here pls... Is there any specific stretches I need to do before and aft of a trail run (working up my mileage... at 0 at the mo) to ensure I'm not putting myself towards an injury. Don't want one of them and obviously I'm working on getting the optimal shoes for my needs/gait already...

Any specific links I could just click so I'm not trawling the internet with half-answers... For reference I don't stretch for or after a ride but used to in the early days...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Sean - it's great, get out and do it, really fun way of changing how you run.

Second run on the Scottish 6 Day - Inverlochy... aka Ft. William golf course :lol: Was actually an excellent venue. Fast running down the bottom on the fairways (avoid the greens!) and then really technical slow running above in the forest where I suspect no people have been in years. Ran better than the day before, but still running very flat, not sure why.

Took yesterday off, did family things. Then today was a Munro day. Took in the two Loch Lochey Munros. 19km run, 3hours, 1,300m of climbing. Was an excellent easy Munro day. Not too warm, not too cold, Goldilocks.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:21 am Can I just ask in here pls... Is there any specific stretches I need to do before and aft of a trail run (working up my mileage... at 0 at the mo) to ensure I'm not putting myself towards an injury. Don't want one of them and obviously I'm working on getting the optimal shoes for my needs/gait already...

Any specific links I could just click so I'm not trawling the internet with half-answers... For reference I don't stretch for or after a ride but used to in the early days...
Stretch.... what's that then? :grin:

Work on running on the flat on easy ground, then worry about trails and fell afterwards. Canal towpaths and paths are your friend when you're starting out.