Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moff

Re: Today's Run

Post by Moff »

I started my PPRPR (Pre-Parkrun Practice Runs) this week, easing my way in gently by using the Couch to 5K app. Bike fitness is average at the mo and run fitness zero after trashing my ankle last September Orienteering.
Not really planning on any big runs, just want to get back to some regular Parkrun's, 10K club runs and hopefully some top 3rd Orienteering results.
Not sure I really enjoy running that much, would much rather push my effort on the bike. Find the nav challenge in orienteering is a good way of distracting myself from the trudge of the plod.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Work has been awful of late. More than the normal teaching stuff. Job losses ahead. Mine is possibly one. Was feeling really down leaving work so ditched the HR monitor and said "f-it I'm running hard". At least I can control this.

Two laps of local hill. Pretty sure I've beaten my time from the car to the summit both times. Felt pretty good running. But my brain was in overdrive most of the way. Only 45 mins, but 375m of climbing and 7km of running.

Home now. Watching TV with kid. Wife picking up pizza. Things less bad.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Orienteering race, green TD5 course as I couldn't get an entry for the longer courses.

Chucking it down for 10mins before my start slot. Hid in the car rather than warm up as I normally would - bad idea, HR went high and stayed high. Couldn't focus well on the map for the first 20mins! Ran well, made a few errors, covered 5.4km on a straight line 4.5km course (within the 10% I like to run so happy) and a reasonable amount of climbing (168m). Just under 40mins and put me in 5th place. Which is ok. Happy enough with that as it was a regional race as well, so a lot of decent runners present.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Having watched the sun shine in through the office window all day it was a bit disappointing that it stated raining within the first half mile of today's run :roll:

At least it was only light so I was ok in just a tee shirt. I also had a bit of a pain in my left shin, no idea why :???:

Decided to shorten the planned route so did 6.5 miles, 850 feet and exactly an hour.

Even with shin pain, running in the rain is better than being in the office in the sun.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

John Kelly has just completed the Pennine Way in 58hrs 5mins beating the record by 3hrs30mins - https://live.opentracking.co.uk/jkpw21/. He set the record last year but within a couple of weeks Damian Hall bettered it with 61hrs35mins. Here's a shot of him on last year's run:

He looks 16 but is mid thirties. He's also the last person to have completed a Barkley Marathon - interestingly he took longer to complete that than the Pennine Way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

To be fair the Barkley is a different beast. The Pennine Way is runnable.

Popped out to see him through earlier. He was still moving fast and we're only 60miles from the end :)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Only just seen this, but still on

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/dhc2c21/ ... gccsVsmPEE

Aiming for the C2C record and ahead at the moment :grin:

The tracker also has OS mapping, the scale changes as you zoom in, which is nice, and you really get a picture of the route and terrain when zoomed in to the OS 25K
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

He's done really well. Knew it was coming. Not the best weather for it either!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Not updated in a while, lots of busy things going on.

Saturday: first of a double racing weekend. Our O club running a regional event. Woke up feeling good. Went to event. Wife was racing first so I was on kid duty. Chatted with some mates. Played on the pump track with daughter. Got changed. Waited for wife to finish and jogged the 200m to the start. Dibbed and went. 56mins later, nearly empty dibbed to finish. Made two errors, minior, ran well, and navigated really well. Ended up 11th in a regional event - first in age category.

Sunday: Woke up with a chest infection. Probably should have stayed at home. Tired. Not great. Drove, got there far too early. Could have warmed up...didn't. Ran badly, not a little badly, but terribly. Worst race I've had in years. By control 3 I'd say f***'it this is a training run. Second last in category.

Monday off.

Tuesday: Job interview (we're being restructured). Ran hard in torrential rain on the tops for an hour. Felt glorious. Painful, but good running. Driving home, got offered the job. Went home. Showered. Went to the pub. Good times.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not run in a while, but got to the lakes on Monday. Camped in the torrential rain Sunday night, had a rather delicious curry in Kendal.

Started the run from Kentmere, round the first half of the Kentmere horseshoe (Sallows, Yoke, Ill Bell, Froswick & Thornthwaite Crag) and then up to high street. Down to Patterdale via The Knott, Rest Dodd and Angletarn Pikes - big bowl of chips, gravy & cheese along with a pint for lunch.

With a heavy stomach, and full drink bottles, set off up St Sunday Crag, Scrambled up Cofa Pike to Fairfield then Hart Crag and down to Sykeside for more water. Last big climb up Cauldale beck, skirted round the summit of Stoney Cove pike, steep up & down back to Thornthwaite Crag, over Mardale Ill Bell and then a final long descent down Nan Bield pass and back along the valley to the car. 48km, 2850m climbing, 10 hours and absolutely knackered but ecstatic! I think the plan of a long but not ridiculous day was ruined by the slowly improving weather... Tired legs, but I should be back on the bike again tomorrow... And really like the look of a few of the trails for a future lakes ride.

I think that the Bob Graham is going to need some actual training, as that wasn't quite half the distance/elevation and I'm pretty sure that I didn't have the same again left in my legs at the end!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nice route, took in some excellent tops with that!

I did 26mins of glorious fast running after resigning from my job today. Never have I felt so light on my feet!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Easy 30mins at the end of the day before dinner. 300m up, 5km along. More or less went for one direct ascent of the valley side then a technical womble back down.

Weather was horrid. Really humid, no wind, midge in every shaded corner, slippy underfoot. While I have no problem with the latter, the former I hate.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Todays run came after a 500m swim and a 18km ride. Yep, 18 months ago I'd foolishly signed up for a triathlon (beer does that). I'd high hopes of learning to swim properly but Covid got in the way and despite the 12 month postponement I knew that would be a struggle. Anyhoo, the swim was slow, my ride was fast and the run was painful. It was far too warm (22C) too.

My transition times were crap - at least compared to others - despite me taking some precautions to speed it up a bit. I got 10th overall, but 1st in the Vintage category. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GregMay wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:11 am

Weather was horrid. Really humid, no wind, midge in every shaded corner, slippy underfoot. While I have no problem with the latter, the former I hate.
Nae midge here yet despite the summer arriving. Hoping they've all perished during that long, cold winter.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

We've had a wet and relatively mild spring. So we'll have loads this year. Bah!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Two hours easy running, or it was supposed to be. First hour was fine, then it all went a bit wobbly in the heat. Ended up having to walk the last kilometer home. Still a nice 17km run in the sun.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

90 minutes of orienteering practice on Ilkley Moor in the early day heat. Nice to go somewhere new for a change!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Work and DIY commitments have eaten into my running (and riding) time quite a bit the last few weeks :sad:

Got out after work today, the car thermometer said 25 degrees when I left work, even if that was generous it was plenty hot enough. The heat, and the grass now being knee high for some of it, meant it was hard going. Managed just over 6 miles in an hour dead.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Another 90mins run, earlier today so as to avoid the worst of the sun (or so I thought).

Started off easy, knowing that my HR was going to go through the roof - I've not been training properly due to work issues and only now returning properly. Stuck to the shade for the start of the run, which was good, then broke out into the sun and started to suffer. Lasted about 10mins before "sod this, tops off" and started to cool down. I could visualise the headlines already "Pasty 40 year old male running across the fells in short shorts. Children scared for life." Cooled me down :)

Up to the Pike. Stopped for 5 mins to dry off in the wind. Then top on and descend down the tourist trail, stopping at the spring en route to have a drink (I tend to run local only in kit, no phone, no bag, just me and my key). Ran over Dicks Lane and met my only people before looping over the moor to the RSPB site and a longer loop in the sun home.

Got back to the house a puddle of sweat. 10:30 and it is already 21 degrees out. Cooled off in the shade before nursery called.... daughter coughing uncontrollably....PCR test or she's not coming back in.

Hitched the trailer to the bike, collected daughter, rode uphill for an hour in the sun (so, hot, right, now) while daughter coughed and shouted "daddy, this is sloooow". 2.5 hours trying to persuade her to do a PCR test (she is 4) before finally getting it done. 45mins home. Garden. Beer. Shade.

12 hours later....negative test result. WOOOO!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

PCR test for child negative - time to run!

35 mins snatched before dinner, really never expected to get it assuming I had 10 days of beer and self wallowing, with a possible dose of turbo training (shudder), felt great, ran fast, ran well, pet a dog on its head and tickled it's ears.

Good times.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Sunday - 4hour run in the Lakes on a mini mountain marathon around Borrowdale.

Felt ok when I woke up and drove up. But something wasn't right once I got going. Wasn't that wam but I just felt off. Spent the first 35 minutes climbing up a direct route to my first control. Couldn't control my breathing or sweating, both were out of whack. Backed off and realised today was not going to be my day. Picked a few more interesting lines across the fells. Hit a few tops I'd not been on before. Ate a lot of food. Had a nice day out, but a poor race.

Covered just under 21 km and 1,200m of climbing.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Friday - I postponed my planned exciting/interesting run as the novel bit required a specific work site visit first which was cancelled due to PPE supply issues for the safety crew. So instead I went out local to home with the intention of doing 6 miles or so, as I had no route planned I decided to extend it to 8. Still feeling good so then upped that to 10, then 12 and if you're going to do 12 you might as well do a half. Ended up doing 13.75 miles 1243 feet in 2 hrs 15 mins. Proper tried at the end of it.

2 days of DIY over the weekend used up any time for fun, and I've done something to my neck, probably wrestling the old cast iron soil pipe out through the roof, so missed my normal Monday run to rest it.

Tonight - after a mainland site visit I was later home than normal but still found the motivation to head out. Was thinking I'd do 6 ish but again no route planned so ended up doing 8.4 miles 896 feet in 1 hr 19 mins. Even starting at 5:30 it was still very hot when not in the shade. Decided to have fish and chips for dinner from the van that visits the campsite up the road to undo and good from the running :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Fish and chips - the dinner of champions.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Double run day!

0600 out the door for 30mins before family are up. Humid and warm already so take it very easy.

Herd 4 year old all day. Can't take her outside as she's been contact traced. Again.

1830 out the door again 45mins much faster this time (Still hot and humid, don't care) very cold shower afterwards.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Friday: Easy 25 mins after work focused on running downhill fast. Cruised along the flat sections and the climbs then bombed the downs. Need to get out of my ultra running mindset and get back to enjoying the downs :)

Saturday I took off to do some mountain rescue training.

Sunday a very humid hour and 45 mins. Dripping wet witching 10 mins of leaving home and it didn’t get much better. No breeze and high temps had me in Betty Swollocks mode for the whole run. Uncomfortable if I was near anyone, but they were all inside watching footy so a win for me. Felt terrible in the climbs, but posted second fastest time for me on two of them . Fast descending again and it was paying off with some PRs on trails I’ve been running for nearly 10 years!

Took 6 hours to get back to urinating clear though. Must have lost a lot of fluid.