Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Today's Run

Post by GregMay »

Autumn into Winter is an amazing time to run. Best part of the year if you're running off road.

Don't worry about fast or far. Just get out and do some running on flats and downs, walk the ups.
FLV

Post by FLV »

GregMay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:48 am Autumn into Winter is an amazing time to run. Best part of the year if you're running off road.

Don't worry about fast or far. Just get out and do some running on flats and downs, walk the ups.
That's pretty much what I did last winter. Running a few sections on the ups came later but then, as ever I reverted to type when the sun came out and got the mountain bike out :lol:
I'll try to build it up this time with a little more consistency
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

45 mins very easy fell run (200m up up, so easy for round here). Doing a three day mountain marathon style event at the weekend and needed to turn legs over before I went. Suspecting about 80 - 100km over the weekend will be in the bank! No idea what sort of vert, a lot.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:48 pm Doing a three day mountain marathon style event at the weekend
That sounds good :smile:

Run to work for me today. I only seem to find time to run twice a week. Now it's Mondays and Fridays it much better. As I have to drive to do my Mum's shopping on a Thursday my legs are fresher. Went under an hour again this morning (57 mins) and it didn't seem as hard as previous times. It was also cooler this morning which was nice. Looking forward to the frosty mornings and leaving home in the dark again :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Moff

Post by Moff »

Last nights trott.....crash bang.....stagger was an orienteering MapRun with the local club.

Got sniped by a hidden bit of angle iron before my third checkpoint which a crash to and slide along the floor, landing partially in some lovely nettles!
Nobbled the rest of the way round with a nice bit of grazing, a stiff knee and bit of grit each imbedded in my hand.

Worst bit though, was the demise of my compass!

Didn't really need the compass as the nav was pretty easy, but then the run you don't have it is the time confuse yourself and run off in totally the wrong direction.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*sadface*

At least a semi decent thumb compass these days isn't too much money. Not convinced having a bezel that rotates is needed TBH. Running the needle on the northings forces you to keep the map oriented and does reduce the chance of losing contact with the map. Pretty much all I use a compass for unless I make a mistake and need to relocate.

I've been using one of these for some races these days and getting on with it: https://www.all4o.com/compasses/thumb-c ... ienteering
Moff

Post by Moff »

GregMay wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:16 pm *sadface*

..... Running the needle on the northings forces you to keep the map oriented and does reduce the chance of losing contact with the map.
Struggling to get my head round how this works?! I'll have to go out and try it.

Just replaced it with the same version to keep things simple.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Short way to explain it.

- Know where you are at all times!
- line up the edge, or other line of your compass, with the direction of travel you wish to take from the feature you're on, to the feature you want to travel to (may be an attack point for the control, might be something else).
With thumb compass on map, arm in front of you, rotate YOU until the N on the compass lines up with the Northings on the map.
- Run in the direction YOUR COMPASS TIP - not the north arrow - is pointing

Go here: https://www.all4o.com/orienteering-blog ... -Johansson

Find the bit called "Thumb Compass Methods" then enjoy making things simple!

FWIW, for events like the OMM I take a compass that takes a bearing - often have very long legs where I want to run on a bearing across featureless moorland, so not quite the same method.

Lots more great stuff here: https://betterorienteering.org/basic-techniques/
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Great Lakes 3 Day over the weekend - cancelled from last year, and in August rather than May. Came with its own heat related complications!

Two goals:
- clock up at least 100km of running in the 3 days.
- only one sit down per day while out on the course :)

Pre-day:
Friday and managed an early morning run to stretch my legs out. Played with daughter before she went off for a day with mummy to visit friends and go swimming. Normally my fun part of the week with her but with the inevitable M6 traffic going to the Lakes I needed the extra time. Oh...we've still got no car so had to get to a mates to get a lift! Avoided the M6 and took backroads to Chapel Stile (tried to avoid puking in my mates car, not sure why I felt travel sick). Rolled up, pitched tent in field, registered, ate food, drank some beer, went to bed by 2130.

Day 1:
I'd prepped breakfast and wanted to be on the course by 0800. Ate while dropping tent and drinking a brew. Watched a lot of faffing around by people around me. I forget that people aren't that used to breaking camp quickly. Dropped my kit bag at the registration (they portage your kit), did kit check, then went to go. Plan was a leisurely jaunt of about 35km over Fairfield, Steel Fell, the Langdale Pikes, and down into Seathwaith. It got seriously hot, groin blisteringly hot as it turned out. 8hrs 15mins on the hill, 40km, 2,500m of elevation. Got to midcamp, downed a beer and a slice of cake before pitching and heading straight for the nearest river to cool down. Double dinners. Another beer. Sudocreme. Bed.

Day 2:
Woke up feeling good, knew I could run well, so packed appropriately with less food than yesterday. Bit cooler so my plan was to start earlier and use the morning clag to keep it that way. Up and over Glaramara, out to Lingmell along the ridge (wonderful running) before dropping into Wasdale Head (double Cokes at the shop). Up and over Black Sail Pass, then over again to the summit of Haystacks before dropping through Honnister Slate Mines and down the C2C to Castle Crag and back to midcamp. A 35km day with 2,400m vertical in 7hours flat. Felt great up until the last 5km where I'd not bothered to eat as I was enjoying the running too much. Got in early, so had little to do. Decided to bathe in the river. Double dinner.... followed by 4 beers. This may have been a bad idea.

Day 3:
Woke up feeling crap. Poor nights sleep. Stomach was not great. Didn't want to eat. Packed up and left knowing it was going to be a shorter, but probably harder day. Surprised that I could run well for the first 90mins up until the last steep section to Bowfell. Descended the Band before up again over to Blea Fell (one of my least favourite tops in the Lakes). Out along the ridge to Silver How it all fell apart, I'd only managed to eat a gel and one granola bar in 4 hours and my body said no - you need to not run now, today you power walk. A shame, but it is what it is. 26km in the end, a mere 1,500m of vertical in 5hrs.

Overall a great weekend running and navigating (sort of, I know the area quite well). Good practice for the OMM which is in the same area this year.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

25mins, very very slow, feet have not fully recovered yet. Body was very irritated at me for running today. To quote a German - shut up legs.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for the insight/update Greg...

My run today was supposed to be a 6 miler. Maybe I had weetabix that I should not have before departing. Warmed up with a brisk walk and started jogging in the park. Just couldn't get myself past 0.2 miles without getting tired so in the end I did lots of 0.2 at a time with a straight line walk...

End result = 2.24 miles, 30 minutes, 224ft of vertical gain. Kinda happy with that and next time I'll miss the breakky (maybe).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ran home from work yesterday, first opportunity for a run this week due to various distractions.

Had my shirt, trousers, office keys (there's a lot of them) lunch box etc. in my pack which was 7lb in total. Only a flat (ish) 12 miles but found it hard going, maybe as I'd not done anything for a week or might have been the heat.

Legs are a bit achey this morning, but that might be running with the heavier pack as it changes my gait slightly?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

UTS 50 yesterday. Moderately broken today. 50km with 3,600m of vertical through Snodownia national park, sort of a half Paddy Buckley. Wan't in the best condition, but had a great day out. Still running, not ultra shuffling, by the end.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

'ultra shuffling' is some form of exhausted walking pace run?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Hah! No. It’s the feeling that you’re running during a long race, but in reality people in mobility scooters can pass you out.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Oh, I call the normal pace :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Friday run did little to fill me with confidence in having recovered, easy 10km pootle home from work felt far harder than it should have. But, I had just spent my day on my feet teaching all day. Figured that was the problem.

Today it was a regional orienteering event near Sheffield. New area to me, only been used once before and involved a 30minuite remote start with 240m of vertical just to get to the start of it. Opted for Brown (Second longest) not sure why, but decided to pootle about and have a fun day. First control was from one side of the map to the other across near featureless moorland, thankfully we had some vis. It was full on bearing, run, use the Force mode in play. Rest of the day went much the same, looking for a grough in the middle of a moor. Cracking venue and a really well set course. Came 2nd in slightly old man category (V40).

Map should be attached below for anyone interested.
Attachments
F95E272D-C676-4088-8411-C5946B892988.jpeg
F95E272D-C676-4088-8411-C5946B892988.jpeg (119.67 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Looks an excellent event Greg - wish I'd known it was on, as it would have made a great return to fell running after a couple of months off!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Lots of O races on over the autumn, easy to find local ones with this tool:

https://map.oobrien.com/?p=HX7&d=on&c=All
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not today's, but Sunday's run... Cavendish Cancer care (a charity which has massively helped my family & friends) lost 5 charity runners for Sunday's Sheffield half marathon due to illness. I signed up last night and picked up a vest today. Not run for 6 weeks, but done plenty of riding so fingers crossed for base fitness and "active rest".

Never done a long run on tarmac before - did a 19min parkrun years back, and a few 10km hilly dark peak winter road races. The distance isn't an issue, just the constant fast running and repetitive tarmac pounding. At least the Sheffield course has a nice big hill to run down in the second half!

Hoping to do it in about 1:35 but that seems very optimistic.

If anyone wants to send a bit of spare change their way, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulelliott78 and if anyone wants to laugh then I'll report back on my inability to move on Sunday night!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

on Wednesday t had a, good run, with mates on the road bike, definitely no just tarmac. 28mm types on surfaced canal & cycle paths, cobbles & gravel farm roads. From nr Halifax (west Vale, Elland) to Hebden Bridge on sustran paths. Hardcastle craggs, Shackleton to walshaw Dean. on gravel roads, then a more hills to blackshaw head, descending Mythrolm steeps gradient >1:6 for 1/4 mile. hot rims. then same route return along canal. and sustran route lots of gravel & up & down. round trip 35miles, felt good.
I cycle up this but at the limit of grip for 28mm Road tyres on dirt. 34cfront (egg) ring, 32 rear.
I was over geared they were both on 28 fronts cogs. no wonder I had to wait... :lol:

we lost a bar in chocolate on route, or one of us snaffled it. :shock: :lol:

Attachments
IMG_24092021_142800_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_24092021_142800_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg (167.36 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:41 pm on Wednesday t had a, good run, with mates on the road bike, definitely no just tarmac. 28mm types on surfaced canal & cycle paths, cobbles & gravel farm roads. From nr Halifax (west Vale, Elland) to Hebden Bridge on sustran paths. Hardcastle craggs, Shackleton to walshaw Dean. on gravel roads, then a more hills to blackshaw head, descending Mythrolm steeps gradient >1:6 for 1/4 mile. hot rims. then same route return along canal. and sustran route lots of gravel & up & down. round trip 35miles, felt good.
I cycle up this but at the limit of grip for 28mm Road tyres on dirt. 34cfront (egg) ring, 32 rear.
I was over geared they were both on 28 fronts cogs. no wonder I had to wait... :lol:

we lost a bar in chocolate on route, or one of us snaffled it. :shock: :lol:

looking at the pictures, I spy a
gravel w*ker,
rough stuffer...

and a lost roadie/tourist bike
:o (red bar bag)
better call the UCI, inappropriate mixed categorise & social distancing, rules broken :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

That climb up to Shackelton is renowned for being a bit of a walker :)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I could have cycled to the top but then lost touch with those lovebirds!, I mean mates. it seem so auntie social, so I didn't :-bd :-bd
when I get fit Mytholm steeps next,...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PaulE wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 pm Not today's, but Sunday's run... Cavendish Cancer care (a charity which has massively helped my family & friends) lost 5 charity runners for Sunday's Sheffield half marathon due to illness. I signed up last night and picked up a vest today. Not run for 6 weeks, but done plenty of riding so fingers crossed for base fitness and "active rest".

Never done a long run on tarmac before - did a 19min parkrun years back, and a few 10km hilly dark peak winter road races. The distance isn't an issue, just the constant fast running and repetitive tarmac pounding. At least the Sheffield course has a nice big hill to run down in the second half!

Hoping to do it in about 1:35 but that seems very optimistic.

If anyone wants to send a bit of spare change their way, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulelliott78 and if anyone wants to laugh then I'll report back on my inability to move on Sunday night!
Hope you have a good un Paul... Will try n sponsor your mission on Monday...