12 seasons

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

12 seasons

Post by redefined_cycles »

Came up with this from a recent photo of Gians bike sat in the snow (thanks Gian/Alpinum). Basically I plan to go to the highest feasable point near me and taking a pic from the same spot for all 12 seasons.... Well, ok, 12 pics for 12 months but it feels like a different season each week these days/years.

WaM = Wessenden (Head) a Month but if you'd like to join in just edit the title to wherever your chosen pic belongs but please leave the AKA/brackets intact.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Then there was WaM (aka 12 seasons!)

My first pic I couldn't decide on these two, so it'll be one or 'tuther next month, when I get my second chucked on...

Rude to not give credit to the bike so I'll also be including a pic at this bench for each month with the bike of choice. Here's Egen (some chaps riding up a track on eBikes called it a roadBike and that 'the track down there's really not suitable', how dare they!).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I like this idea. I was trying for a few years to get the same shot of a particular tree near where my mum lived in all 4 seasons (and looking typical of it, e.g. snow in winter). Nice to record the passing of the seasons.

Reminds me that I took the exact same (well as close as I could) shot* nearly every day for a couple of months on my commute to capture the turning of the trees. It was a couple of years ago and I've never got round to doing anything with the pictures. I should dig them out to remind me of my commute.

Look forward to seeing your pictures, please keep it up! (Harder than it sounds)

*My phone corrected this to "sub standard" which was so funny I nearly left it in
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 am This might interest you
https://cairngorms.co.uk/photo-posts/
It does. Had no idea about that project until now, but as it happens I came across one in February. This one:https://cairngorms.co.uk/photo-posts/photoposts/19/

Only it looked a bit different:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8-zAyTFsDt ... jcuclwj8sg

I never bothered looking up the link. I was more preoccupied with extracting myself from a slightly sticky situation, having Judy nearly broken my foot sliding down an icy hillside in the middle of a named storm, but that's another story.
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:40 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 am This might interest you
https://cairngorms.co.uk/photo-posts/
It does. Had no idea about that project until now, but as it happens I came across one in February. This one:https://cairngorms.co.uk/photo-posts/photoposts/19/

Only it looked a bit different:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8-zAyTFsDt ... jcuclwj8sg

I never bothered looking up the link. I was more preoccupied with extracting myself from a slightly sticky situation, having Judy nearly broken my foot sliding down an icy hillside in the middle of a named storm, but that's another story.
Just seen your snowy photos Dave... Thats part of the fun I'm expecting (but secretly not hoping for) as getting across from Marsden to Wessenden Head on a slightly snowy day is hard enough. Photos (of we get it) in the snow are gonna be epic though and getting there and back just the other day took it put of me. Lowest temps were 5c and I was on the roadie turned gravel thing. 40 miles with 4000ft climbing and it was the most direct route! Body aching post ride so must be a worthwhile challenge.

Will do a little report of the actual route in the 'my rides' thread when I gets a minute.

Colin, thanks for that link initally of the Cairngnrms pics. Looks like they never qctually managed to get all the seasons in! A reflection of the difficulty to get to these places I suppose and one of the reasons why I decided on the challenge.... It'll stand me in good stead (is that the term!) for future big rides...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Quite like the idea Shaf. I think itd be interesting to scroll through the seasons.

But if you don't mind, I may adjust it to a TaM
Trig point a Month for my own interest :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Check out post 10. That has a decent selection of photos for all seasons.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Nice idea.

(...feel sad that I live in the south, 240m doesn't quite have the same pull :grin: Hardly 'The Beckoning Silence'... such a good book btw)
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 am But if you don't mind, I may adjust it to a TaM
Trig point a Month for my own interest :-bd
Snap... I wrote that in my second paragraph (well almost) already, so yes please Dave. Looking forward to it. I think you have plenty btw...
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:08 am Nice idea.

(...feel sad that I live in the south, 240m doesn't quite have the same pull :grin: Hardly 'The Beckoning Silence'... such a good book btw)
Whats wrong with 240m. At least you won't die getting there in the ice/snow (icy-snow). Wessenden Head is only 400 to 450m up btw...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW my house is at 270m.
jameso

Post by jameso »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 am FWIW my house is at 270m.
I think you can go up a fair bit from there though, right? :wink:

I pass by the highest point in this general area regularly, it's as lovely as any hill top is, hard to think of it as a destination though. Perhaps that's the point of this thread... and I do like the seasonal photos idea.

If I lived near a mountain of some sort you'd not keep me away for more than a month at any time of year. Now I'm thinking about riding to a mountain and all those plans for MTB bikepacking in hiking boots to scramble up a few peaks along the way. Been wanting to do that for years but the climbing thing faded for me in last decade. Ideas floating about ever since I read about Goran Kropp really - the pioneer of good style and bikepacker mountaineering.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think you can go up a fair bit from there though, right?
Only another 1,040m without needing to drive.

There's a wee local hill called Craigellachie that would make an ideal regular photo visit. It's actually Post 1 on that link but the photo library for it seems to be corrupted as there are random photos on it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

jameso wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:08 am (...feel sad that I live in the south, 240m doesn't quite have the same pull :grin: Hardly 'The Beckoning Silence'... such a good book btw)
It's all relative: depends what the land around it's like. I used to do a road loop (on whatever mountain bike I had, when 12 miles was a long ride) from the village where I grew up to the highest point nearby. It felt like a big hill when I was in my early teens, and you could see for miles in any direction on a clear day. Years later, when I became aware of such things, I looked at the OS map to see how high it actually was. 39m :shock: I grew up in North Lincolnshire.
redefined_cycles

12 Seasons:12 months: 12 pics

Changed the name to reflect it a little better. Yesterdays commute and then this mornings I reacked my brains trying to find a photo opportunity on the commute that I might be able to take each month. Here it is...

Embedded into its own post below to make reproduction/comparison easier.

Not actually Cawood Bridge but just before on the York side of things. The bridge actually represents a significant event during mycommute as its the point at which there's only 12 miles remaining (or 12 miles completed on post-shift ride).

I chose this particular spot cos (after about 4 hours of riding and thinking, into and part way out of work) just before it the field really showed some contrast of the farming and land colour. One side being blackand freshly ploughed with the other side being lush and green.

Hope it's an interesting abstract/piece... Enjoy!
redefined_cycles

Cawood Bridge B1222 looking NWW
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:42 am My first pic Oct2020
Nov 2020
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:42 am

Nov 2020
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:55 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:42 am My first pic Oct2020
Nov 2020
Dec 2020
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 pm
Dec 2020
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:29 pm

Nov 2020
Dec 2020
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:29 pm

Nov 2020
Dec 2020
Feb 2021
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 pm
Dec 2020
Feb 2021