Night of the roaring stags

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

Night of the roaring stags

Post by ChrisS »

This trip was supposed to be a much bigger weekend loop with a couple of friends, but new Covid regulations in Scotland, a terrible forecast and last minute calendar clashes put paid to that.

I still had an overnight pass though, so I decided to head out on my own after dinner on Friday evening and planned to be back home before the worst of the rain arrived on Saturday.

I left at 6.30pm, riding over Duke's Pass near Aberfoyle on NR7, with the sky blazing orange behind me.

The temperature dropped quickly and the descent down the north side of the pass had me regretting the decision not to bring full leggings.

The sky continued to deliver though, this one looking over Loch Venachar towards Ben Venue.

It was fully dark by the time I reached the A84 north of Kilmahog. I had 3km to ride on the road and lit myself up with all the lights I had.

As an aside, thanks to the lorry driver coming towards me on one of the only overtaking spots between Callander and Lochearnhead. He spotted me a few hundred metres off and pulled out into the middle of the road to stop all the cars that were jockeying for overtaking positions behind him :-bd

Then it was onto forestry tracks for the steep pull up to Glen Ample. Hard work, though it did warm me up again. That said, I was glad to reach the sign which meant most of the climbing was done.

I found a nice flat spot near the shielings at the south end of the glen and pitched my tarp facing south. There was a light breeze from the north and the forecast said it was going to stay that way all night.

The glen was noisy! Aside from the 100 horny stags that kept waking me up in the night, there was a noise that sounded like someone was being murdered in the woods, a tawny owl I think, as well as various random screeches and calls.

But I was toasty warm in my bag and made a cup of tea to go with the whisky and fruit cake. With a podcast on I drifted off about 10pm but woke up when the moon came over the ridge to the east. It was bright and I thought someone was shining a torch in my face first of all.

I was awake for a bit longer and witnessed a massive shooting star, the biggest I've seen in years, split the sky to the south of me. Amazing. I woke up fully again at 3am when a stag that was fairly close by started giving it full beans, but I was sound asleep when my alarm went off at 7am.

Still liking the DD tarp.

I had two choices for the ride home - retracing my steps or riding the rest of Glen Ample and returning via NR7. I went for the longer route home and was happy I did. I hadn't ridden Glen Ample S-N before and it was good fun to ride in this direction.

The first spots of rain arrived and it got progressively wetter and colder but the longer ride through the glen was worth it.

Back home by 11.30 for a hot shower and big second breakfast. Really glad I went out despite Plans A, B and C falling through :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Night of the roaring stags

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

They're some lovely sunset shots :-bd

You must have been gutted when you realised you'd forgotten the cheese to go with the cake and booze / tea :wink:
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:10 pm They're some lovely sunset shots :-bd

You must have been gutted when you realised you'd forgotten the cheese to go with the cake and booze / tea :wink:
Mmmm cheese and fruit cake!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice photos and a reminder that I'd best get an October bivvy in very soon before the Circuit Breaker is announced.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:22 pm Nice photos and a reminder that I'd best get an October bivvy in very soon before the Circuit Breaker is announced.
I'm sure something's coming and I could live with a five-mile limit for a couple of weeks, but I really hope we don't go back to the no staying out overnight thing.