My BB200 2020 (may contain spoilers).

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

My BB200 2020 (may contain spoilers).

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Seeing as it's Oct 1st, I thought I'd start a 'my BB200' thread - BB300 very welcome also. Be nice to compile them altogether was my thinking.

Simply post up your experiences, pictures and swear words. However, please don't include links to Strava, RWGPS, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Re: My BB200 2020.

Post by slarge »

I thought you'd ridden it for a minute then Stu. Was going to be impressed!! :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

:lol: :lol: don't be daft Steve, he's just looked at the map and draw a few lines... "that should do them" mwwwahhhh.... said in the sound of what could be a demon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

We have our first non finisher. Me :-bd twas lovely (the 20 miles I seen if it and wild horses [maybe] at Offas Dyke path top o mountain (highest section of route)...

Report coming up in BAM thread

Edit... I can confirm there is tussocky HAB and more HAB up plenty 17 to 22 percenters. There would also have been 70 mph rain/wind driven 'hold yer bike lest it blows of mountain top' for me but I'd left the route. So got that on a different mtn top... :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nowt like picking a prime window Shaf and it sounds like that was nowt like :wink:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Shaf, I always thought you were a bit mad. Now I know for sure :wink:

I didn't think anyone would attempt it this weekend!
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

So here goes. I was actually going for the record this year as in any other given year I'd never finish first. This year by heading out before everyone I might possibly make it. Just like the high-mountain 'baggers' I'd climb the Bearbones200 before everyone and go down in the books of history... Sort of :grin:

Unfortunately that didn't go according to plan. My shiny new gear never arrived in time and I was generally just too soft. However, if I manage to report it in the next 2 minutes I might just break one (a record)... Non pictures unfortunately but they're on the BAM thread.

Plan had been formulated weeks ago to try and set out as soon as... But then the weather reports hit and my attempt might be scuppered. Sunday being [failed at my 2 min report.. tbc]
redefined_cycles

Oops. Null
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good effort, when you going to have another go? :-bd
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:22 pm Good effort, when you going to have another go? :-bd
Are we allowed? :lol:

Just edited my post a little to include the highest points in bold. Pardon the lack of commas/poor grammer... Soz :cry:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:16 pm Oops. Null
Shaf, I think you are allowed to post stuff in this thread!
May satan walk with you
Richard G

Re: My BB200 2020 (may contain spoilers).

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, this is the spoiler thread. I'm looking forward to reading stuff. :)
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 pm Yeah, this is the spoiler thread. I'm looking forward to reading stuff. :)
Rich... It took me from 1330 til about 2100 to do 20 miles (did take aboit 15 photos in that time as it couldnt be helped and climbed/walked about 1100m up). That's when i chucked in the towel and had a right good sleep and headed home (20 miles where Iet the storm). :o the first 20 miles were mid (and impressively nice) weather...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Christ... that doesn't bode well. lol

Did you get lost, or was the terrain just that bad?
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:53 pm Christ... that doesn't bode well. lol

Did you get lost, or was the terrain just that bad?
Rich... that's what I keep asking myself... around 15 to 25 mins for prayers time including ablution where needed... About 30 mins cooking my posh Nordic dehydrated meal. Around an hour point five, walking up Offas Dyke path and the hab (recorded that tussocky path as a separate walk of around a mile) then maybe 20 descending carefully. Maybe 45 mins of pics (tops).

By the time I'd called it a day I was showing 5mph actual miving time. So over 3 hours of stoppage. Twas a bit :o and I'm obviously soft and made of mushy peas !!

So glad I called it a day when I did! :lol: The rest was basically Storm Alex and 3 minutes figuring out that gate. At least that river was still a stream in first 4 miles :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Well, you cant officially complete it now... but nothing stopping you having another go when the weather is nicer!
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Started 4am wednesday from hay.

The ride started well with a waist deep river crossing 1.5m into the ride then going over the bars on the descent off the first climb in the dark which landed me up facing down a certain hospital grade ravine!. Both of those things kept me wet and cold for a few hours :grin:

A nice day followed but tough hearing into the strong westerly wind but i was happy, got to beacons visitor centre just under half way in 12hrs all to plan.

Had gone behind plan by an hour doing the section to crick then made it all back up. As i know only too well though iwas expecting trouble ahead on hike a bike in the dark, what bearbones gives you in one hand it taketh away with the other!!

And it did.

Got to builth 9.30pm, 40 miles to go but the rain that only came into the forecast yesterday arrived early at 3pm.

The exposure wouldnt turn back on so thought the 2nd light only (needed to use both) wouldn't cut it given the difficulties i faced navigating the open moorland sections between beacons visitor centre and builth together with the very hard going since the rain started forced me into DNF.

I was shivering uncontrollably at the petrol staion and still had a 20 mile road ride back to the car.

I'm so glad i did that now because I've been woken up by the weather really battering the car!

Was hoping to add a black badge to my green and blue but not to be this was a tough course.

All in all I'd say this is a true BB course for sure!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Wow, good effort!! Safe journey home and hope you warm up soon!!
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

Thank you, warmed up quickly with a 20 mile road ride back to hay then with dry clothing and matress and duvet in car! Been getting a right battering all night with the wind and rain even down here at Hay!

Forgot to add that i got my first ever farmer bollockIng for straying off a trail before builth i'd cued as difficult nav that didn't exist, he came up on a quad but ididn't let on what i doing, he just thought i was a general tw@t! Came down to road with him 0.5m early, was worried about a DQ for that!

Pretty spectacular army playing war up there above Sennybridge, flares, machine gun fire with tracers and vehicles flying around!
redefined_cycles

Well done FP. Wish I was as hadd as that. Maybe next year :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

No lights = end of play. Shame, but 40miles of BB could be 7 or 8hours (or more) groping around in the dark.
Always amazes me when people talk of using a Joystick on minimum output for off road on theses events. Way too little light for me.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Superb effort there. The weather really was against you, so even better. :-bd
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:31 am No lights = end of play. Shame, but 40miles of BB could be 7 or 8hours (or more) groping around in the dark.
Always amazes me when people talk of using a Joystick on minimum output for off road on theses events. Way too little light for me.
I agree, you get sleepy much earlier as a result too, i do a lot of road endurance going overnight regularly and i find it key, off road like this is another ballgame alltogether

Also, helmet mounted lights are a nightmare in fog or heavy rain with reflection
slarge

Post by slarge »

That should set expectations FlyingPig - I think most of us realise it will be a long slow slog, and you have confirmed that. River crossings are going to be a certain level of amusement. Kind of surprised you got some trouble from a farmer - he's going to have all sorts of fun over the next few weeks if we have circa 100 riders going through at all times of day and night. I hope he starts helping (or maybe adding signs to the RoW) instead of giving people a tough time.

Well done for getting to where you did. Getting wet and cold is horrible and difficult to recover from - to be avoided at all cost!
Verena

Post by Verena »

flyingpig wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:54 am
Pretty spectacular army playing war up there above Sennybridge, flares, machine gun fire with tracers and vehicles flying around!
O yes, it's quite an experience on the Eppynt at night, bit spooky