Offa's Bike - Done

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

javatime

Offa's Bike - Done

Post by javatime »

Having been stymied by the Covid lockdown, as was Stuart's ridethrough, I completed this in Mid August. I had a great time and hats off to Stuart for putting together a wonderful route with lots of interest - especially finding ancient holloways and drove roads and hill tops / stone circles / hill forts with spectacular views.

Stuart had mapped the route from North to South. This worked fine for me as I could take the train from home in Bristol to the start at Prestatyn, then cycle all the way back home. I had to cycle from Crewe to Chester due to rail works, so left Prestatyn Station on a Thursday afternoon and got home on Tuesday morning - lets say about 4.5 days for the route.

I wasn't racing, with time taken for local chats / brews and views but had long days - there were many gates, a lot of uphill pushing and some big carries in the Black Mountains. I rode the Escapade with 38mm Gravel King tyres which was fine as there were a lot of tarmac lanes and I think the unrideable parts of the route (uphill and downhill) would remain so regardless of bike and tyre!

There were no major route finding problems, just a few shorter sections were heavily vegetated (crazy brambles). The section from the Gospel Pass to Grwyne Fawr was "spirited" and I have sent some route notes to Stuart, whilst not wanting to diminish the "spirit" of the ride.

So a big Thank You to Stuart for putting it all together, giving a great few days out on the bike and pointing me towards some tracks on the border that I probably would not have found otherwise.

I am happy to pass on the gpx, or any information to anyone going for the second ascent !

Offa's Bike joins Offa's Dyke just after Prestatyn

Stunning greenway above Clun

Descending from Hergest Ridge

On the tarmac at Gospel Pass - thought it would be downhill home from here !

View across to Grwyne Fawr Reservoir after the big carry up from Capel y ffin
Bearlegged

Re: Offa's Bike - Done

Post by Bearlegged »

Ooh, nice pics, looks like some good country. What was the total distance?
javatime

Post by javatime »

OS Maps says 324 KM for Offa's Bike. I did an extra 40 miles (consistent units !) due to the rail works and to get home.

Daily mileage was around 40-50 miles a day, a bit sobering. I recommend comfortable walking shoes !
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice that, very nice indeed. Some lovely situations there.

Tomato soup for tea every night was it? :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
javatime

Post by javatime »

Thanks RIP

No, the tomatoes were a rash decision when feeling very jaded and arriving at the Premier in Presteigne on a grey Sunday afternoon.

But generally a good snack inspired by Emily Chappel. Once you eat enough to bin the plastic box they sit nicely in the stem cell.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Oh that does look good, I would like the file please, one for the spring now maybe.
Should I pm you my email?
What's the worst than can happen?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

trob6 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:54 pm Oh that does look good, I would like the file please, one for the spring now maybe.
Should I pm you my email?
Me too please :smile:
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

That looks lovely.
And (fairly) local...
One for next year.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

So Stu has created a cycling route where the main requirement is "comfortable walking shoes"? :roll: :lol:
javatime

Post by javatime »

If you chaps above pm me your email addresses I will send the gpx and my notes to you.
Probably won't be able to do it until early next week.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So Stu has created a cycling route where the main requirement is "comfortable walking shoes"? :roll: :lol:
Nah, there's loads of lovely cycling - it far outweighs the lovely pushing involved. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
javatime

Post by javatime »

Yes, agreed.
The lovely pushing and carrying gets you to some even lovelier riding.
I will forward the gpx and notes off next week to those who have pm d me when I am back with the laptop
psling

Post by psling »

javatime wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:33 pm The lovely pushing and carrying gets you to some even lovelier riding.
My bold!!

I did suggest to Stu when he was planning the Offas Byke an alternative lower level route taking out the "climb" from Capel-y-Ffin Monastery up to the ridge and the subsequent nadgery into and out of Gwrynne Fawr but it involves a section of FC track which is not a PROW so couldn't be put out as an official route (plus it softens the route quite a bit :lol: ). One plus for the route as it is though is that there is a small bothy at Grynne Fawr just off course and the track down through the woods (when you find it!) into Gwrynne Fawr is quite fun :-bd

Well done on doing it and thanks for putting up the report. It looks a good ride and takes in some beautiful countryside.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
javatime

Post by javatime »

It really is a good route, lots of brilliant riding and my previous comment about comfortable walking shoes was meant tongue in cheek. I really recommend it, and hope more people will do it and post how they got on.

The climb above Capel-y-ffin is a challenge, but ok. I have sent Stuart my route notes and if I did it again would stay on the tarmac from Gospel Pass to Capel-y-ffin to save my strength for the crux of the route.!
javatime

Post by javatime »

I have sent on Stuarts original GPX and my notes to Shaf and Tim today.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did !
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Just been looking at the route, its definitely on the list now, Thanks again.
What's the worst than can happen?
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Just been looking through the route for this so great to read some feedback, It's definitely on the list for next year (god knows I need something to look forward to now Cardiff is locked down again..). Most of the southern half is familiar territory (and I can certainly understand missing out that climb..), but not spent much time in the NE bit of welshland so good to hear that bit is mostly ridable...
Euge

Post by Euge »

That route sounds interesting- is it published anywhere?
DNF BB2020
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is it published anywhere?
I'll send you a copy.
May the bridges you burn light your way