Cairngorms loop 2020

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dakkar

Re: Cairngorms loop 2020

Post by Dakkar »

"I know exactly the scramble of a burn crossing you refer to. For a change I tried the lower line but it's not any easier. I think that's what did for my boots :???: I can't actually remember doing it on the CL2020...."

I attempted the top route first but then thought better of it, reversed back then took the bottom with some help from another rider, then made it through. If that penultimate climb had been earlier, I would have enjoyed it, it really is in a beautiful setting and the engineering to build a road up there is impressive, but by then it was all about getting finished.

Hope I will bump into you again soon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Steve

Well done on getting round anyway - regardless of how much "fun" you had at the time. You're right that the track is still evolving. Erosion (both natural and human) is having an impact. Over time, I expect that some of the current obstacles will become easier but then others will also appear. As regards gravel bikes, I'd say the question of how appropriate they are is the most common one I'm asked as "keeper of the route". My standard answer is - if you have to ask, then it's a no.

If you have any photos, stories or comments you'd like to make, we do have a Facebook page for the Cairngorms Loop now and I'm always happy to see more content. It is good encouragement and advice for others.
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

Hi ScotsRoutes,

Are you Colin? If so we have had a few interactions on the facebook page recently regarding the latest route.

Now I have had a few days to reflect and recover I'm mellowing about the route and perhaps it's the inner loop which was the most difficult and set my perception. Really the outer loop was stunning with more flowing riding with the exception of Glen tilt Hike-a-bike exit.

I was contemplating posting on the facebook page but I was concerned I would come across as negative and perhaps put some potential riders off, which I really don't want to do. It is a spectacular challenge.

But thank you for your comments.