The Slippery Peak of the Witch (VIDEO)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

The Slippery Peak of the Witch (VIDEO)

Post by summittoppler »

Film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWcboL2xyc

A few weeks back I set off to do this overnighter but bailed as I wasn't in the 'zone'. I was pretty gutted as the weather was perfect, no wind, no cloud and the chance of a great sunrise. Fast forward 4 weeks and I wasn't going to let it go as I again packed the gear in my bags and loaded up the Mukluk for another trip in Snowdonia.
Image20200830_154351 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Image20200830_164359 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
The plan was to set up my tent on the summit of the 800 metre mountain named Pen Llithrig y Wrach which translates to The Slippery Peak of the Witch. This is because when looking at the mountain from the north a few miles away it looks like a witches hat! I had been to the summit 3 times before so I knew what to expect, 400 metres of steep hike a bike that is rewarded by fine views of the mountainous area. As I knew there was little wind I knew the time was now right.
ImageScreenshot_20200830-204338_OS Maps by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Image20200830_193337 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
The going was tough but worth it. I had a great pitch just off the summit cairn and I enjoyed drinking from my hip flask whilst watching the surrounding shadows fall on the mountainsides.
Image20200831_053237 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Sunrise was at around 6am so I ensured I was up and ready to watch the new day unfold. After several coffee's later I was packed and ready to ride/walk once again.
ImageIMG_20200831_070536_585 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
A steep 200 metre decent saw me at the foot of yet more pushing, this time 250 metres up to the summit of Pen yr Helgi Du. The going was very tough again but the views were the reward for all the hard work.
Image20200831_100147 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
The rest of the ride was fairly easy in comparison, flowing grassy descents followed by singletrack alongside Llyn Cowlyd that I was camped above the night before.
Image20200831_113638 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
All in all this was a great local trip which I'm so glad I re-attempted. Yes it was tough but the rewards were worth it. As I returned back to full time work this week with a college full of students, my memories of this trip will keep me 'sane' through the busy days ahead. I hope you enjoy the film ^^^
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearlegged

Re: The Slippery Peak of the Witch (VIDEO)

Post by Bearlegged »

Very nice. I definitely need some big mountains in my life.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I really enoyed the film!
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Brilliant, nice to know how it's pronounced too. I nicknamed it the Witch's Tit.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Jaysus wept Jeff, reading your reports is incredibly annoying - you're just having way too much fun in fantastic surroundings. Harumph. :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Thanks all :-bd
RIP wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:43 pm Jaysus wept Jeff, reading your reports is incredibly annoying - you're just having way too much fun in fantastic surroundings. Harumph. :wink:
As scenic as this was in fine weather, it really was a tough slog. Not to mention the faffing going back and forth for the camera!
It is a fine summit, not one for a windy day but if you get it like this trip, you get to savour the magnificent scenery of the Snowdonia peaks all around you which makes it worthwhile.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos