A Lost Lanes, TINAT-revisit meander through Wales, South to North and South again

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Re: A Lost Lanes, TINAT-revisit meander through Wales, South to North and South again

Post by faustus »

Great ride and write up, enjoyed that a lot! I have a much, much shorter but similarly inspired ride planned for whenever I can get out. I like the vibe of the touring and riding, not primarily about gear and distance and effort (though i'm sure there was plenty and interest in each!), but the experience and enjoying time away and being 'present' (to use the overkilled wellbeing phrase). Or in short, just really good quality riding.

I got Jack's latest LL book for my lockdown 40th (signed or course :-bd ), to join the collection. I really enjoy them for the sense of easy exploration, and it's helped to turn my regular from-the-door home rides into more interesting mixed-terrain little jaunts. I also managed to get one of the few remaining copies of Gareth Lovett Jones' English Country Lanes that Jack also recommended; if you can get a copy from someone it is a fabulous philosophical read with great photos too. It's a book crying out for a sensitive re-print or reissue, no idea if the author is still around...?
jameso

Re: A Lost Lanes, TINAT-revisit meander through Wales, South to North and South again

Post by jameso »

I also managed to get one of the few remaining copies of Gareth Lovett Jones' English Country Lanes that Jack also recommended; if you can get a copy from someone it is a fabulous philosophical read with great photos too. It's a book crying out for a sensitive re-print or reissue, no idea if the author is still around...?
Yes, I have a copy that I'm very grateful for - I've not been commuting by train in a while so reading far less these days but read the intro and a chapter before I left for Wales. Very intelligent and insightful writing I thought, will be spending more evenings reading it over the next few weeks. I found his attitude of 'why travel further when there's (?)20,000 miles of lanes to ride in this country' inspiring and after my trip to Wales and some recent exploring in areas locally that wouldn't usually register on a mapping layer I'm seeing UK riding quite differently. I think by the time I've finished his book I'll see it differently again.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Mr Thurston obviously read my post above and I got a lovely surprise in the post this morning. Thanks Jack! :-bd :-bd

darbeze

Post by darbeze »

What a lovely write up. Thank you very much for taking the time to record your ride here.

I really enjoyed that and am now inspired to get off my backside and explore some of the numerous lanes we must have here in South Devon.

I can feel a Lost Lanes purchase coming on..

Thanks again James.

Si
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cheers Si, it's appreciated. Enjoy Lost Lanes West, it's my next LL Tour plan. Routes 18, 19, 20 and 21 link up nicely in the S Devon area. I'll put the 34T rear on this time!
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Pushed the button on Lost Lanes West this afternoon...

Thank you for the inspiration!

Si