Hudderfield-Bristol-Hudds AONB suggestions

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Hudderfield-Bristol-Hudds AONB suggestions

Post by redefined_cycles »

Currently in the planning stages of riding to Bristol and back. On the road bike so minimal gravel sections and it'll bw used to test out the kit (albeit not the bike) for the DD...

Am hoping to tey and incorporate some really scenic sections and it'd be whenever is appropriate (post 15 July sounds reasonable!). Anyone got any pressing suggestions that I really need to ride past/over/through. I could just choose any Areas of Natural Beauty (AONB) but for some reason I've developed the thought that not all AONB are equal.

This be my 2 rough guide routes... really appreciate your thoughts

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Hudderfield-Bristol-Hudds AONB suggestions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just go west and ride down through Wales Shaf. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

GO north and ride to Scotland? much nicer route options that through the most built up parts of our island IMHO
RIP

Post by RIP »

Random ones: Castleton then upper Dove valley then Manifold Trail then Cauldon Canal then Cannock Chase then Ironbridge & Severn Valley then Malvern Hills then Forest Of Dean. Instead of Severn: Ironbridge, Wenlock, Church Stretton, Kington, Hay (getting dangerously close to Wales though), Monmouth, Forest Of Dean.

Your A61/A38 option is possibly not altogether world-renowned in the scenic stakes :wink: .

How many days y'got?

Wot's appenin' in Bristol then? Pop in on Taylor for a guided tour :smile: .

Just ride it one way and take more time to appreciate it? Then direct train home from Bristol to Sheffield - easy.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:22 pm GO north and ride to Scotland? much nicer route options that through the most built up parts of our island IMHO
Nah, finding the gems in those built up areas makes the pleasure and satisfaction so much more delicious than having it handed to you on a plate :wink: .

Anyway, getting to Brizl via Glasgow is about ten times as far.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Wot's appenin' in Bristol then
Well Reg, was supposed to be attempting the LeJOG [all this bit deleted cos its a rant about Andy Corless his lack of communication ignoring of anything refund related by anyone... sure he's a nice man but he's put me off audax forever... along with my mate from Blackburn :-bd ], but decided I don't fancy it (ever) and instead will go and see a nice audax-type chap down in Bristolia. Might give the locals a 3 cheers for throwing that statue in the pond too (well done Bristolians :-bd ).
Just go west and ride down through Wales Shaf. :-bd
That was one of my initial thoughts Stu but thought to ask as Wales scares me a little (well the chavs that drive like idiots round blind bends who are are or aren't local) as do some of its climbs. Don't fancy coming back with some knackered cartilage in the left knee (or right). Seriously considering riding along the border but then that has similar issues as well as having to pass through hilly Shropshire.

Thanks all for your replies and I think I have enough key words to get myself something half-decent made up.

NB. Reg, if I did ever attempt (a big task for me anyway) a LeJOG I think I'd wanna try one of Daves options as I believe their more scenic and less A roads. Plus, the initial plan had always been to ride through Layton Buzzard (hope I spelt it right) to London on unfinished business (3 attempts at that route so far) in a 24H attempt. But recently the email from the train services saying they're enforcing masks has just put me off... and I don't think my head could handle scenic London in both directions (ie. via bike)...
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:15 pm train services saying they're enforcing masks
I'd be very tempted to wear something like this to see what people's reaction was:

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:31 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:15 pm train services saying they're enforcing masks
I'd be very tempted to wear something like this to see what people's reaction was:

:lol: I'd scare myself Reg...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That was one of my initial thoughts Stu but thought to ask as Wales scares me a little (well the chavs that drive like idiots round blind bends who are are or aren't local) as do some of its climbs. Don't fancy coming back with some knackered cartilage in the left knee (or right). Seriously considering riding along the border but then that has similar issues as well as having to pass through hilly Shropshire.
I can't speak for the driving standards but it is possible to meander through Wales (on road) and avoid most of the big climbs without stupid detours.
May the bridges you burn light your way
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Who let Mrs Mac out?
redefined_cycles

Now then...

After the thoughts from the seniors (just messing... I meant the wiser ones) i made this as the first leg. I reckon I'd pr9bably have about 50 more miles left in the legs at this ratio (climbs to miles) so in answer to your Q Reg, probably aim to be back home within 4 days God Willing...

https://strava.app.link/DOdSaU8407

For those that cannot see it (I mean Reg), it looks like so. Then just roughly South on the 'near to' Welsh border towards Malverns and over Severn Bridge then back round towards Cannock...

RIP

Post by RIP »

Give it a bash. Something interesting will happen wherever you go, if you let it :smile: .

psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm ... avoid most of the big climbs without stupid detours.
So, basically avoid any NCR/Sustrans routes in Wales then :lol:

I can certainly help on your outward journey Shaf if you choose to take the Malvern >> Severn Bridge option. Quiet roads from Ledbury via Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth and through the Lower Wye Valley AONB.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:45 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm ... avoid most of the big climbs without stupid detours.
So, basically avoid any NCR/Sustrans routes in Wales then :lol:

I can certainly help on your outward journey Shaf if you choose to take the Malvern >> Severn Bridge option. Quiet roads from Ledbury via Ross-on-Wye and Monmouth and through the Lower Wye Valley AONB.
You've got me at Ledbury Petr... I'm all ears (and eyes)...
psling

Post by psling »

Ledbury? It's a small market town just south west of Malvern. How you get to Malvern others can advise!!

I'll try and put together a route and post it here :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:54 am Ledbury? It's a small market town just south west of Malvern. How you get to Malvern others can advise!!

I'll try and put together a route and post it here :-bd
Thanks so much. You're too kind. Ledbury has a special place in my heart (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q-e9kJflyMw not cos of Lance)... oh, I just realised its Leadville... but Ledbury shall still do.

Looking forward to that route Petr. I'll add the section from the Malvern bridge. Hopefully you'll get me quite far North West so I only have a little to add on at my end.

So kind.. much appreciated
psling

Post by psling »

Can you pm me your email addy Shaf and I'll ping over a gpx route (don't know how to, or if indeed I can, post it on here).

By the way, this route goes south from Ledbury, not north west!
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Make it easy on yourself........

Huddersfield narrow canal to Ashton
On to the Peak Forest Canal to the
Macclesfield canal. Down to the
Trent and Mersey to Stafford then on to the
Shropshire Union Canal, which joins the
Staffordshire and Worcester Canal which takes you to
The river Severn, which takes you to
The Wye Valley and Bristol
psling

Post by psling »

Cheddar Man wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:23 am Make it easy on yourself........

Huddersfield narrow canal to Ashton
On to the Peak Forest Canal to the
Macclesfield canal. Down to the
Trent and Mersey to Stafford then on to the
Shropshire Union Canal, which joins the
Staffordshire and Worcester Canal which takes you to
The river Severn, which takes you to
The Wye Valley and Bristol
Damn, I thought it was a cycle ride he was doing, not a bl00dy paddle :lol: :lol:

I was chatting to a guy about a year ago who was planning to circumnavigate Wales by kayak. I was intrigued, thinking he meant paddle the coast of Wales but, no, he meant all the way round connecting the canals from the Mersey to the Severn. Apparently the only non-navigable bit is where one of the canals has disappeared under the M6 construction.