Sneaky Shelter In Or By Ribblehead?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Sneaky Shelter In Or By Ribblehead?

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm just looking at OS maps, can't find a whole lot of sneaky shelter....does anyone know of any shelter or anything around these ways?

Thanks!
whitestone

Re: Sneaky Shelter In Or By Ribblehead?

Post by whitestone »

Not much really, most of the farm buildings are close to the farms. I've kipped in the waiting room at the station, space for two, but that's about it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

OK, thanks muchly.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Loads of caves if you fancy something a bit different! Useful to have a list handy of those that flood to the roof though to be fair. Once took my bike into one of those above Alum Pot which was mildly amusing.

One of the pillars of the viaduct would shelter you from one side of course but I suppose that's not hugely helpful. I'll get me coat.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:lol:
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Lots of shake holes/ holes in the ground, plenty that’ll be deep enough to hide in and get a tarp over you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 pm Loads of caves if you fancy something a bit different! Useful to have a list handy of those that flood to the roof though to be fair. Once took my bike into one of those above Alum Pot which was mildly amusing.

One of the pillars of the viaduct would shelter you from one side of course but I suppose that's not hugely helpful. I'll get me coat.
There's a "cave" near Ribblehead where the furthest you are underground is about two metres and the roof has a slot in it through which you can see the sky! Meant to be a right b****** of a cave as well, really tight.

I was once told by a keen caver that that the grading system was based on how hard it was to rescue someone from. When you got to grades 4 & 5 then they started considering breaking things :shock: He could have been pulling my leg (to see if it'd snap) of course :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Used to do quite a bit of subterranean tinkering round your way Bob. You're blessed with loads of good stuff of course.

Plenty of them are indeed rather snug :smile: . I like this description from Northern Caves Vol 2 of Batty Wife Cave next to the Station Inn: "A suitable trip after a heavy night at the Station Inn! Normally a dry roomy crawl over limestone to a blank wall and a slot down to the right where water is heard". Ideal for your bivvy 'Goat! Although ominously: "Stream emerges from entrance in wet weather" :lol: .

I was walking on Ingleborough once with a pal and my lad (about 14 at the time). Very misty. Just before Bank Holiday. Came down off the top. Was obviously aware of Gaping Ghyll and the Bank Hol chairlift amusement. But that day they'd just set it up. Nobody else around at all. We show interest, bloke says well we're just about to test it, would you like to test it for us? Er, no thanks. My usually cautious lad says, yes please! So of course we have to go down as well. Incredible experience, I'll bet you've done it Bob. Because nobody else was there we had the Ghyll to ourselves for ages. Asked if there was a charge to go down. Bloke said no but it's a tenner each to come back up :lol: .

One thing I'm very unlikely to do is the 2km King Pot to Keld Head cave dive under Kingsdale - be interesting if you wanted a poo at the 1km mark :lol: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Done Gaping Gill (via Bar Pot) but not the chairlift.

Our trip was one New Year's Eve as a group of three. Rented the lamps from Alan Steele at Inglesport and headed up and then into the cave. Got to the bottom of the main pitch, left our SRT kit there and then went wandering towards the main chamber. Of course being winter and it now being five pm we didn't get the classic backlit waterfall but after a bit of wandering around we head back to the entrance.

This is where the fun began. One of my companions did a bit of caving but was very unfit generally so he takes a while to jumar out up the main pitch. Then it's my other companion's turn. Now he'd done lots of climbing in the Alps and Himalaya so I thought he'd be OK at jumarring but it was soon obvious he was anything but. After fifteen minutes of effort he's about head height! At this point I notice he's set things up as a climber would, not a caver, and that's really inefficient. I need him back on the ground which takes another ten minutes. Sort him out and it now takes him twenty minutes or so to do the 30m pitch.

"Should I wait for you?" he asks. "NO! Get moving on the next pitch!" It's now well past 7pm on New Year's Eve :sad: I don't think I've ever jumarred a pitch that quick! I stripped the pitch and packed the rope and headed up - he was still only halfway up the next pitch. Eventually we get out. It's a forced march to get back to the car, we drop the lights at the back of Inglesport for Alan to pick up in the morning.

My plan for the night was to be out in Ulverston. Let's just say it was a quick journey over there dropping off my two companions at their homes. Got to mine, shoved a tin of beans at my brother "Beans on Toast!", had a bath, got dressed and eating my tea all inside fifteen minutes and then getting to the pub by 10 o'clock!

Don't remember much after that :lol: