Does this 'other track' look rideable (near Ripponden)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Does this 'other track' look rideable (near Ripponden)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Trying to consolidate some squares... does anyone know if this track's rideable, or all HAB or worse...

Ta in advance :smile:

[Edit: spelling mistakes sorted to keep up appearances since we're past 10,000 now].
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Can this 'other track' be ridden (near Ripponden)

The track from Lower Dean reservoirs to Warley Moor
whitestone

Re: Does this 'other track' look rideable (near Ripponden)

Post by whitestone »

I don't think it is Shaf. The Wadsworth Trog fell race runs alongside the two reservoirs on the west side to the inlet then heads straight up the hillside to where it says "Parcel Beds". The bit by the reservoirs was bad enough to run along. Have a look on Strava heat maps to see if it's been ridden by someone better/madder than me.

This is the only shot I can find on Geograph.org.uk that shows any part of it. It's the line through the heather near the top of the shot:

I've ridden along the leat from the northern end of Warley Moor reservoir, it's marked as "Catchwater drain". Does that get you your tile? It ends up in the middle of the moor but there's bridleways and tracks to get you back down into the same valley. Just looking at it on VV, it seems like the track on the side of the leat gets within a couple of metres of that square so you could always divert for a few metres at that point.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob... bloomin.

Not sure how to grab that square now. Might have to get onw aquare from onw wnd and then the other sqaure at another end on another day.

Thanks for the pic. Dont fancy walking or riding that :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I can't remember if the track into Castle Carr from Wainstalls is open to the public - the only time I've been along it was for the FRA annual relays some years ago. (There's an impressive water fountain if it's an open day or something special)

This is the leat I was mentioning - easy riding, you could do it on a CX bike

Ride the track alongside it to the appropriate point, take your GPS downhill towards the reservoirs for ten metres or so then continue riding!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I grabbed those squares a couple of weeks ago Shaf by doing exactly what Bob's just said. Can confirm the track along the drain is rideable and very pleasant. Bit of a push to get up to it on the route I took that day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3579724937

You can also get to it by descending from the west off High Brown Knoll.

I'd intended to go up the track you were looking at but there are locked gates leading through farmhouses/farmyards on both tracks to get up to it. The one at the bottom of the hill was about 12 feet high with barbed wire over the top of it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

It’s nowhere near Ripponden :shock:

As the others have said, the ride across the drain from Midgley Moor to the res is quite pleasant, which may not get the square you’re after.

The farms up in Castle Carr aren’t particularly welcoming, and lots of barbed wire and private land signs.

There’s the double track from the res into the valley, but more signs, by from memory it links into a short foot path than takes you back to a short detour and onto the road. All a bit cheeky, but f you’re quick no one will know :-bd

Also be ware that they are going some work on the res at the moment, so there may be a few more people and diggers around.
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 am It’s nowhere near Ripponden :shock:
[Goes off to check his map with an, 'I'll show that Chew' attitude... then comes back with head in shame]...

:smile: yes, you're right Chew... well it is only 7 miles nortg of Ripponden... I acrually have a square 2 squares up from Ripponden that needs fetching aswell and must've got my wires crossed...

Not sure if I said it already... But thanks Bob and andy and Chew and everyone else. Saved me a headscratch (and angry farmers) trying to fetch them few squares... ta :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Chew wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:01 am It’s nowhere near Ripponden :shock:

As the others have said, the ride across the drain from Midgley Moor to the res is quite pleasant, which may not get the square you’re after.

The farms up in Castle Carr aren’t particularly welcoming, and lots of barbed wire and private land signs.

There’s the double track from the res into the valley, but more signs, by from memory it links into a short foot path than takes you back to a short detour and onto the road. All a bit cheeky, but f you’re quick no one will know :-bd

Also be ware that they are going some work on the res at the moment, so there may be a few more people and diggers around.
I ended up riding up there by accident after not being able to get up the aforementioned farm tracks. I fudged my way around the rest of the tops without a proper plan after that and had a cracking afternoon (until I tore my rear tyre and had to ride back to Ogden Water on the rim in a panic about being locked out of the car park :lol: )

Served as a reminder that half the fun about VVE is spending most of your time not knowing exactly where you are or where you're going. On that basis I withdraw my suggestion of us riding around Bacup together. :grin: Also there's a square in the Rossendale Valley that was my most stressful to get. When I mentioned it to Pete G he said the same thing, so you should go and experience that joy for yourself. :wink:
redefined_cycles

Ross valley you say... I shall treasure that moment. So happens i have a friend in rawtenstall who doesnt like coming out (of their bubble of that part of world) so he'll be able to treasure it with me :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

It near Luddenden (foot) ludden/calmer Valley offshoot, Ripponden is is the Ryburn valley, at least 5 miles away as the crow flies...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..