North Peaks 100km (finalised)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevewaters

Re: North Peaks 100km (almost finalised)

Post by stevewaters »

Thanks. Will take a look and hopefully have a go at your loop soon.

Here's a slightly adapted "Lord of the Loops" route originally from the Vertebrate Graphics Dark Peak MTB guide. It comes in at 73 miles and 10,000ft. (Ignore the little leg of to my home in Chinley!)

https://www.strava.com/routes/17348787

Cut Gate is very Marmite. I always wonder why as I am pushing up from the Upper Derwent but then I'm all smiles as speed picks up over the top slightly downhill technical sections and then even more so as I shoot down to Langsett on the fast singletrack :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

stevewaters wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm Thanks. Will take a look and hopefully have a go at your loop soon.

Here's a slightly adapted "Lord of the Loops" route originally from the Vertebrate Graphics Dark Peak MTB guide. It comes in at 73 miles and 10,000ft. (Ignore the little leg of to my home in Chinley!)

https://www.strava.com/routes/17348787

Cut Gate is very Marmite. I always wonder why as I am pushing up from the Upper Derwent but then I'm all smiles as speed picks up over the top slightly downhill technical sections and then even more so as I shoot down to Langsett on the fast singletrack :grin:
Thanks Steve.. have saved your route and will attempt it when I've grown a full hairy chest like Bond :lol: ... hinwstly though am looking forward to it at some point and would love to get some reviews of my loop. Hope it's liked by all and its kindof 5 years in the making. Inly just recently realised I could actually reached plenty of tracks then Wessenden without too much road riding...

One thing to point out, we're (well so far its just me and Lazarus/Jon) doing a group start kindof thing on thw weekend of 26th July... whatever 10 hours anyone wants to choose its up to them and wherever they start from is also ones own choice. That way there's potentially 2 miles social distancing at any one time so all good (except for when everyone/anyone overtakes or laps me.. do say Hi).

Will link to that thread again just now
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Yep - I'm really keen to try your loop on that weekend - It will be fab having something to look forward to. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Managed to convert this into a gpx from the ViewRanger file. Not sure how to paste that link staright into this thread (if anyone has an idea then please share) but if anyonr wants the gpx but dorsnt have ViewRanger (so can't actually see it) then let me know and I can email it across
redefined_cycles

Managed to get round the loop and gonna finalise it at that (except for removing a footpath that i inadvertently put in there by mistake on the last edit :o ).

Seems to have a bit of everything including happy farmers with decent gates as well as those farmers that have conceded its bridleway through their land but prefer to have unkempt gates. Adds to the challenge I suppose and theres even a nice section of HAB (except for some).

Karl asked if its gravel bike friendly... I'd say not but after seeing Jase on the BB200 clear the world cup DH last year on his CX bike, I'm really not sure. Please do endeavour to ride anti clockwise though as thats the 'current climate' friendly direction. If you fall cos of the rocks - size of pigs heads they were - then it'llbe on the UH so you'd fall sideways.

Happy to also report (if its any help as I never even knew they exist before this) that the toilets at Holmebrisge appeared to be open. The route rides straight past em. Also, I noticed there is actually shops enroute both a CoOp in Almondbury and a few a stones throw away from the actual route in Netherton.

Without further ado... In pics (to hopefully wet the appetite.. I obviously didnt take any pics of the roads to not put anyone off)...

Before this theres about a mile of muddy trail which is currently dry and nice. This hopefully portrays how nice our West Yorkshire farmers are and he took pity on us to ensure we end his little 'snicket' in style.

Massive quarry which seems tobbe having issues with the forest above

Hoho... after the HAB you're greeted with this sorry looking gate which the farmers obviously put alot of effort into to make unappealing. Nice little challenge for someone to get across. Rest assured all bridleway and council have made extra effort to put up appropriate signage along the area.

The gate from afar, for a laff.

Couple of lovely shots of the HAB just before the aforementioned gate.

Couldn't help but stop for this view new Dunford Bridge. Gorgeous. Saw a chap in touring mode just before this and asked, "you going far", after the pleasantries. Didn't seem too impressed and grunted back, "yeah, back to Hillsboro where I came from". Not sure why he sounded so disgruntled... Maybe couldn't find any decent bivy spots enroute or maybe his yellow jacket was making him itch... Most probably the climb he was doing and me talking to him wasn't appropriate (maybe??)... If you're reading, sorry buddy :smile:

Can't wait to take the OOF (once I've got some decent bars as I refuse to ride Brants El Guapos) up this lovely section. Doesn't feel as lovely whilst trying to clear it and stop yerself whacking yer privates in the saddle (sorry).

Nice little lond if anyone fancied a paddle and don't forget to notice the gushing litte spring (whatever its called) coming out of the hillside, hidden away...

Some lovely buffalo looking things with massive scary horns.

The 'gorgeous' pic I took for my strava and the highlight of the ride. The path leading to Wessenden Head with 3 lovely slabby/big cobbled sections. Try to ride em all..

My best mate roadie mate on his first ever mtb outing on an OOF.

Glad he's made it down his first ever DH and the first section from my end.

Stan, Zubair and the OOF at the start point (well there isn't an official start point as its a continuous loop and you starts where you likes). Really must think of a name for OOF as it feels disrespectful calling such a legendary bike OOF (which in punjabi stands for 'Woah' or 'bloomin' or 'whaaat the heckkk' and you'd hear it off yer dad when he's frustrated at ya)...

:grin:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pmNot sure why he sounded so disgruntled...
Reckon you've answered your own question there...
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pm "back to Hillsboro where I came from".
:wink:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Thanks ! - really looking forward to this :-bd
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:29 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pmNot sure why he sounded so disgruntled...
Reckon you've answered your own question there...
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pm "back to Hillsboro where I came from".
:wink:
Lol...

Btw, thanks so much fir the heads up on missing out the busy main road after Wessenden Head. Would have been a total flop and not sure I'd have been writing about it this happily. Nasty horrible road is that even when travelling on the slight downhill...
redefined_cycles

stevewaters wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 pm Thanks ! - really looking forward to this :-bd
I found this #OffRoadBiking route and thought you'd like it. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA5NTk1Ng== Via @ViewRanger http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA5NTk1Ng==

Do hope its not too boring for folk on here and will be opening a 'times' page shortly (if Stu wouldn't mind) so anyone that wants to friendly challenge themselves against themselves/others times can do so...
Mike

Re: North Peaks 100km (finalised)

Post by Mike »

went down that bridleway with the gate at top 2 weeks ago, no signs or nothing on road. We tried to go down the one west of it which passes a farm but the lady in a 4x4 didnt seem keen for us to us it?? Some excuse about the council doing work but it looked ok to us. :roll:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:51 pmBtw, thanks so much fir the heads up on missing out the busy main road after Wessenden Head.
No worries. No great amount of local knowledge on my part, but I've done road rides over the A635 before, and my alternative suggestion was based on a tour I did a couple of years ago:
https://www.bikerehab.co.uk/blogs/bike- ... through-t/
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:52 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:51 pmBtw, thanks so much fir the heads up on missing out the busy main road after Wessenden Head.
No worries. No great amount of local knowledge on my part, but I've done road rides over the A635 before, and my alternative suggestion was based on a tour I did a couple of years ago:
https://www.bikerehab.co.uk/blogs/bike- ... through-t/
Aha... My Sheffield neighbour it would seem. Whats the chance you might have a decent off the road route from Sheffield coming up towards Leeds/Wakefield/West Yorkshire... I hage a delivery of some gloves to do at Worral/Warncliffe. Warncliffe should be some nice riding I guess as I think its where Steve Peat is from (well somewhere there.. maybe). Just windered if you had owt handy :-bd
Bearlegged

Re: North Peaks 100km (finalised)

Post by Bearlegged »

Not really I'm afraid. I guess you could follow your loop clockwise to the TPT, then follow that to Wharncliffe. The route through the woods is pretty much all fire road, though there are lots of (steep, techy) trails running down the hillside to meet the fire road.