The Quarries Thread

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: (Reg's) 'Quarries, Shafts & Killer Cows' Thread

Post by RIP »

:lol: Ah, erm, well, that era was all a bit of a blur to be honest. I do vaguely remember this very nice person. Or was that the famous 'shimmering, diaphanous (*), lady of the lake' who brought me a quilt and pillow at midnight one freezing November bivvy night? Anyway, erm, I might be able to stretch to Uni fees? Or at least a short corrrespondence course in something or other.

:smile: good for her! Maybe we should do a Better Slate Than Never 2 tour?

Sounds like you had an ace time at Zipworld (**) :-bd .

(*) today's word?

(**) sounds like a particularly tedious small-town museum of clothing fastenings to me
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

Evil incarnate...
https://road.cc/content/news/82-year-ol ... cow-293631
82-year-old cyclist attacked by “out of control” cow – which passer-by managed to fend off using victim’s bike
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

That's scary. usual call mothers protecting their young...
Any way proper quary picture for Reg.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks like it's been landscaped out of existence (*) mate :wink:. Appreciate the thought though thanks :-bd

(*) actually a serious problem in some cases of historical importance. Lots of instances of "landscaping an eyesore [sic]" destroying an irreplaceable record of industrial/social history.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:10 pm Looks like it's been landscaped out of existence (*) mate :wink:. Appreciate the thought though thanks :-bd

(*) actually a serious problem in some cases of historical importance. Lots of instances of "landscaping an eyesore [sic]" destroying an irreplaceable record of industrial/social history.
try again.. Yorkshire gritstone Heptonstall quarry, aka Hell hole qiarry
phone crashed when posting try this... the yellow line is the route I lead. Its a bit spicy when you move out left from the corner ledge. the top is 10ft away but a bugger to [edit:find the easy way through] ...
Attachments
IMG_17062022_004341_(450_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_17062022_004341_(450_x_800_pixel).jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Last edited by ledburner on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Also, landfilling and landscaping old quarries often removes an important local recreational resource.

There's been several half decent climbing venues destroyed in Leicestershire like this, at the same time we are all being told to get more fresh air and exercise. There aren't many climbable quarries left in Leicestershire now, so it's another hour in the car to the Peaks.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Absolutely. And potential nature reserves too. Filling in a life expired quarry obviously restores land to agriculture for example, but some that have been left untouched are real wildlife havens and visitor attractions.

redefined_cycles

Re: (Reg's) 'Quarries, Shafts, Killer Cows and Roman Roads' Thread

Post by redefined_cycles »

After realising how interesting Roman Roads actually are and that they come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, terrain and elevation (I always assumed they're all horizontal!). Then seeing that there might be the possibility that Reg also has a special scientific interest in Roman Roads (see Youtube vid in other thread). I've added it to the list.

Sorry, but looking forward to your Roman Roads stories. Duncan already shared one (thanks Pistonbroke) in which it appears to have gone rather bouldery!
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:46 am
RIP wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:10 pm Looks like it's been landscaped out of existence (*) mate :wink:. Appreciate the thought though thanks :-bd

phone crashed when posting try this... the yellow line is the route I lead. Its a bit spicy when you move out left from the corner ledge. the top is 10ft away but a bugger to finf the way through...
Dan... you actually climbed that yellow route? Proper hard you mate :smile:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:18 pm

phone crashed when posting try this... the yellow line is the route I lead. Its a bit spicy when you move out left from the corner ledge. the top is 10ft away but a bugger to finf the way through...
Its just steps, though the gaps between are a bit big or wonky in places, else good. :-bd
the key holds to get onto the corner ledge ( near the top), are the base of a few near verical bored holes. about inch n' half wide, inch deep, with a thin wall on one side!

I can take you up one day, roped up if you prefer :grin:
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:02 am

Its just steps, though the gaps between are a bit big or wonky in places, else good. :-bd
the key holds to get onto the corner ledge ( near the top), are the base of a few near verical bored holes. about inch n' half wide, inch deep, with a thin wall on one side!

Never. I'll slash your tires (of both car and bike) if you even show me a harness or that wall :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 am

Never. I'll slash your tires (of both car and bike) if you even show me a harness or that wall :grin:
Errr... was that a may be or just no then?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice breezy cool day. How unusual.

Quarry. Got sand in it. Not much more one can say.

Put some Arsos cream on again. It felt just like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CZj5HRix0ck

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:44 pm Put some Arsos cream on again. It felt just like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CZj5HRix0ck
I'd completely forgotten about that track - absolute class :lol:

Me backs knackin!
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:40 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:35 am

Errr... was that a may be or just no then?
Maybe one day Dan... When we're old and knackered.. maybe when they actually give us NHS lot a pay rise. Or has it happened and are we happy with it. I'm not :o :smile:
redefined_cycles

Re: The Quarries Thread

Saw this today. Felt dizzy thinking about working all the way up there with them drops. Looked amazing though so snapped a shot or 2.

https://i.imgur.com/1m89MdQ.jpg
Up in Scotland, just north of Lauder.

Not sure what rock is being mined, but there's alot that's been taken away. The amount of structural engineering that takes place to ensure the right areas are 'mined' in sequence!!

Yup, you guessed right. Hazlebank Quarry just up from the A7. I onviously was on the minor road adjacent to it (A7).
redefined_cycles

Name changed to 'quarries' as I appreciate how looking for cows and shafts might be a mission for most. I don't think I saw any!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

All Whinstone in Southern Scotland Shaff. Not been down that way for yonks - that is a nice road!
redefined_cycles

All Whinstone in Southern Scotland Shaff. Not been down that way for yonks - that is a nice road!
Very nice indeed Phil thanks. In fact, one of the first things I think about when going on a long ride (especially in wet/winter weather) is where I'd find a spot to do/offer my prayers. Don't like throwing the jacket down lest it flies off (can't be bothered doing all the business of tethering it down, nor risk the cold when it'd much rather be on me) but equally find it tough to find a soft spot for my knees without risking em becoming sodden!

Towards the end of that road (I was riding it south) a perfect opportunity presented itself. A bit exposed but the ground was just the right grade between dry and soft. Lovely lovely road... Traffic must've been proper confused :lol:
redefined_cycles

https://www.hoddamcontracting.co.uk/abo ... nk-quarry/

NB. They're not exactly passionate about they're rocks are they. Wonder what Reg'd have to say bout that.
Loki

Post by Loki »

A couple of great locations to check out for quarry watching, Dartmoor is littered with both operational and historic quarries, I have bivvied in a couple of them when I lived down that way, mostly outside Princeton, also worth a trip is Bodmin moor, some nice places to see there too, starting around Minions.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com