Ice, Ice, Baby!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Ice, Ice, Baby!

Post by whitestone »

We're in Norway and I've just paid 1600 Kroner for a very nice young man to read up on how to operate the X-Ray machine :oops:

We are for the Fat Viking fat bike race next Saturday but we are also doing the winter biking training camp. Conditions are currently around 20-25C above what they expect at this time of year and temps are swinging around 0C so everything is basically ice :shock:

Today's ride was a 40km loop using part of the race route up onto the first plateau, wander around a bit then back to base. The wind was forecast as 40kmh+ and some of the gusts were a bit violent. Being in bottom gear of 26-42 on the flat isn't normal. The last part of the route used the ski piste and here's where things went wrong. About 1/3 of the way down the piste steepened and became almost like sheet ice. Whether it was a gust of wind or me losing control I don't know but in as split second I crashed to the deck and landed on my shoulder. Because of the slope I didn't stop for at least fifty metres and when I did I couldn't even kick a step into the snow it was that hard.

I walked the rest of the way back to the resort centre where the course is based. After some beer as first line of medication we decided to get a taxi to the medical centre which should have shut but there was a duty doctor there on call. Four x-rays later, two of which could be hung in The Tate Modern, the diagnosis was a broken clavicle :sad:

Not sure what the correct medical term is (Shaf?) but the two parts of the bone overlap by a cm or two. not enough for the Norwegian health system to consider for operating but don't know about the UK's regimen.

Don't think I'll be doing the Fat Viking
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Ice, Ice, Baby!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry to hear that Bob but you'll at least be able to wave Cath on ..... with your good arm.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, that's s h i t.

if you have all your kit with you it's not too late to enter Shafs Coldest Bivvy competition
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:33 pm Well, that's s h i t.

if you have all your kit with you it's not too late to enter Shafs Coldest Bivvy competition
Can't even do that :| the coldest given in the forecast is -6C. Anyway it's not the UK so wouldn't count :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's bad luck :sad: I can't believe we've had two replies and neither asked how the bike is?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ouch, that sounds like a very sore one. Did they give you a sling? If not it might help to use one (non-medical empirical opinion).
Heal soon - sorry it has buggered up your trip.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ouch, that sounds painful. Sounds like conditions you’d want your mountaineering gear in...

Shame you’re not getting the proper cold, would be lovely in those conditions
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry to hear that bob, hopefully should be an easy heal.....
Studded tyres on the shopping list?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Sorry to hear that Bob-hope you recover quickly.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to hear that Bob. Hope you get well soon and hope the bike is good. Its one of the 6 types of # (fracture) I suppose of which I best go do some reading and jog the brain :???: (answer will be _______ shortly)...

Feel like we're on a quiz show now... I'm gonna go with Spiral or depressed Bob :wink:

This is the bit where everyone congratulates you on the fact you was wearing the helmet (and I know you were)... Nothing like a skull fracture and everything that comes with it. Glad you're (relatively) ok
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thats crap, healing vibes Bob..

Have they not ragged your shoulders back yet with the back-to-front-bra type thingy?? :cry:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Oof. Sounds distinctly rubbish. Hope you heal up well and quickly.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, in turn

The bike is fine, just slid down the slope on bars and pedal :wink:

Helmets are mandatory on the course (and race) so was wearing one.

No bra type thing, just an over the shoulder sling.

Studded tyres- a French guy following me had studded tyres and also went over though not with any damage. Ironically the organiser had a load of studs on order and we were considering buying some off her.

The slopes had set so hard I couldn't even kick steps with my ice climbing boots (no crampons). Going over things in my head, I didn't even wobble or slip, I just went over in an instant. I also fell down the camber slope not up it so I think it was a gust of wind that caught me.

Got a nice bruise or two developing :roll: Doesn't sound like any of those Shaf, but I'm aware they can cover a wide range. Definitely not a spiral fracture - I looked at the x-rays and it's a fairly clean break but now the two parts of the bone overlap.

Getting home is going to be fun: one train journey to Oslo, change trains to the airport -was tricky even with the two of us in shape. Two bike bags and four bags :o
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Nasty :|

Healing vibes and safe travels.

Possibly a massive PITA but have you considered posting some gear back? Might save having to lug masses of heavy, awkward shaped stuff on the return journey. Or leave a bike with a friendly local and use it as an excuse to return.
redefined_cycles

Bob... Am sure someone really smart might chime in (from the clinical perspective I mean) but I like pictures and happen to have a fair few books (which I've not read as much of as I'd liked to, or just flicked through when I needed it). But everyone likes pictures so here's some I took earlier (this hour) for you... In case they're of any satisfaction :-bd

Image (figure of eight mentioned here.. just for ref).

Anyway, am pretty junior (and arguably not that smart but try my best :o ) in terms of knowledge base. But what I will say is that you are at least at risk of chest infection. Due to a combination of things Bob: pain causing reduced deep breathing... fatigue... the cold... reduced exertion (which would normally force you to deep breath>cough>clear... etc etc (anyway, this is just my opinion of which others are available).

See if you can ensure you've got a figure 8 sling going on... See if you can pop into pharmacy and talk through some pain killers and whats appropriate for you: they should be able to advise but once you've managed your pain then the deep breathing will be easier and reducing the risk of chest issues... Once back get yourself (you'll obviously be doing this anyway) to your nearest A&E.

Would consider as mentioned previously by others, seeing if there's a way to reduce the amount of load lugging you and Cath are gonna have to do just now aswell. Stay safe and keep getting plenty of fluids onboard...
psling

Post by psling »

Ah, the cyclist's injury! Hope it's not causing you too much discomfort now after the initial pain (memories of First Responder courses - if the injured person is holding their arm in a manner to suggest a broken collar bone, don't move their arm but let them move it themself!).
After chatting with a senior radiographer friend she tells me the ligaments should hold everything together as it heals. If it's a clean break it should heal naturally supported by a sling but the overlap you have should be checked as soon as you get home, it may need to be separated and set depending on how much shortening effect there is.
You should be able to get help with the kit on your journey if you present yourself as an invalided traveller with obvious sling; lay it on thick!
Good luck with it all, shame to miss out on the main purpose of your trip :sad:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

psling wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 pm You should be able to get help with the kit on your journey if you present yourself as an invalided traveller with obvious sling; lay it on thick!
Yes, a few years ago in Barcelona I damaged ankle ligaments and had to hobble about on crutches for a week or so. It was great - everyone gave me a seat wherever we went - we jumped the four hour queue at the Sagrada Familia and got a wheelchair to zoom about in. Shout loudly for assistance whenever you need it - plenty of people will help I'm sure. Most people are kind and love the opportunity to help someone if it is fairly easy to do.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Thanks Shaf, from looking at my x-rays it looks like this one -

Link if it doesn’t show

https://images.app.goo.gl/2C2imJUrH4JodkHt8

Bridget and others- I’ve done the invalid trick before :grin: the train will be the hardest bit as you need to be quick on and off but the conductors are pretty chilled so likely to give us time. In Oslo it’s just a case of pestering :-bd
redefined_cycles

Bob. Not sure when you're arriving but if you're not too far (ie. Not Heathrow or Edinburgh) I'd be more than happy yo do a quick trip to pick you and drop you and Cath home.

Not sure if thats any help. Am working tomorrow so could easily take car with me as I finish at around 5pm and then Friday I'm currently off.

I imahine you'll be able to make ok plans anyway but if its any help (its the thought that counts right). I've an Outback Estate so after pulling wheels and luggage off we should be able to make 2 people and bikes fit... :-bd PM if its any help at all
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bob thats pretty much what mine was like ( I had a broken off bit too) My collar bone is now about 1.5cm shorter than it used to be and I get quite a lot of gyp from that shoulder. I now have a nice jaggy bump where it broke. I'm tempted to say try a figure of 8 bandage as the reason Raigmore gave for not using them was that they can"make breathing difficult" I found that keeping my shoulders back minimised the pain when sitting. If it happens again I'm going to try and figure of 8. The jury still seems to be out with regard to operating. I heard several people say its the NHS saving cash but several more people said you don't want an opp / plate as it can cause all sort of problems.

Best broken collar bone story came from Bruce (aka Coastkid) on the fat bike forum. He'd broken his doing an enduro and the broken end had gone through the skin plus it was broken twice so there was loose bit. When he was in A&E (still in body armour and motocross kit), the women sat next to him dropped her pen. Bruce automatically bent over to pick it up and the loose bit of bone fell out of the wound and onto the ground...... Cue much screams (from her) and fainting...... :YMSICK:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf - thanks for the really kind offer. Cath sent you a PM as my phone had run out of battery. We're fine once back in the UK as the car is at LBA.

Phil -ace story about Bruce :lol: I suspect that I'll just be told to keep wearing the sling and let things sort themselves out. I rang my local surgery and they said to ring when I got back.

The real bugger is that my BAM run will come to an end :???: Oh, and having todo everything with my left hand (no sniggering at the back there Perrin)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Late to the commiserations party - owwww, really sorry to hear about the damage Bob :sad: . Re BaM - no ways to do a few "placeholder" months during recovery?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Sorry to hear of the injury Bob... bad luck and hope you’re comfortable now.
If you’re getting the train to the airport use the Flytoget from the central station. One every 20 minutes most of the day. Conductors are pretty helpful and on arrival there’s a lift from the platform straight up to departure level. Will be a bit more expensive than the normal local trains but much easier with bags. Bikes are free.
https://flytoget.no/en/tickets/?qai=br ... lsrc=aw.ds
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

htrider wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm Best broken collar bone story came from Bruce (aka Coastkid) on the fat bike forum. He'd broken his doing an enduro and the broken end had gone through the skin plus it was broken twice so there was loose bit. When he was in A&E (still in body armour and motocross kit), the women sat next to him dropped her pen. Bruce automatically bent over to pick it up and the loose bit of bone fell out of the wound and onto the ground...... Cue much screams (from her) and fainting...... :YMSICK:
:shock: :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

99percentchimp wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 pm Sorry to hear of the injury Bob... bad luck and hope you’re comfortable now.
If you’re getting the train to the airport use the Flytoget from the central station. One every 20 minutes most of the day. Conductors are pretty helpful and on arrival there’s a lift from the platform straight up to departure level. Will be a bit more expensive than the normal local trains but much easier with bags. Bikes are free.
https://flytoget.no/en/tickets/?qai=br ... lsrc=aw.ds
We’d already booked with VY and as it happened the train to the airport left from the adjacent platform :-bd There were also four Dutch riders who’d done the race to help us 👍

Checking in we had a shock- the plane to Amsterdam is a smaller one and despite booking and paying for “bikes” they were on the system as “sports bags“ :o Cue baggage handler being summoned with tape measure to see if they could fit through the hatch. A couple of cm to spare 😰