Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

frogatthefarriers

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by frogatthefarriers »

summittoppler wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:51 pm Here's my film from last weekend in Snowdonia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7O-qVBH8M

Enjoy!
That's a lovely video, and no mistake. I'm full of admiration for anyone who has the patience to set up the shots and then combine/edit them to make something that tells a story in just a few minutes.

A few years ago I bought a GoPro, thinking "How hard can it be?". Answer - too hard for me! I don't have the willpower to stop riding, walk away to set up the camera, walk back to bike, ride through the scene and then go back and pick it all up to do it all again. Indeed, on a ride I find it hard to stop at all, even to eat.

So, all hail Summittoppler and anyone else who has the patience and ability to do it.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 pm
summittoppler wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:51 pm Here's my film from last weekend in Snowdonia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7O-qVBH8M

Enjoy!
That's a lovely video, and no mistake. I'm full of admiration for anyone who has the patience to set up the shots and then combine/edit them to make something that tells a story in just a few minutes.

A few years ago I bought a GoPro, thinking "How hard can it be?". Answer - too hard for me! I don't have the willpower to stop riding, walk away to set up the camera, walk back to bike, ride through the scene and then go back and pick it all up to do it all again. Indeed, on a ride I find it hard to stop at all, even to eat.

So, all hail Summittoppler and anyone else who has the patience and ability to do it.

Many thanks bud, its good to know you enjoyed and appreciated the film. Tbh I really enjoy making a film as I do like to record what I've done and hopefully inspire others to get outside and enjoy what 'we' do.
:-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Nice one Geoff :-bd

Proper mountain biking.... in great country.... none o’ that gravel wankin sh1te here....

A bit of gravel track, maybe a bit of road, a lot of mountain bike and.. hopefully not too much hike a bike...

Glad to see you didn’t take a separate bike for each terrain :-bd

(Have they all been sucked into the marketing hype?)
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

ericrobo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:42 pm Nice one Geoff :-bd........
Thanks buddy!
:-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Boab

Post by Boab »

At 22:10 on Friday night, I rolled out of the driveway and into the unknown. Thirteen hours twenty six minutes later, after one hundred and two kilometres, I rolled back up the driveway after my first bikepacking bivvy adventure. I've written a blog about it -> January BaM. Here's a condensed version:

I’d picked an on-road route to the spot I’d picked for my first bivvy. While it would have been quicker and more direct to utilise some of the local bridleways and byways, I’d been suffering from a spate of rear wheel punctures, so thought that staying on-road, would be less risky. The spot I’d picked did require a short walk down a country footpath and then over a field. So it was with much anguish I felt my rear tyre deflate just as I was arriving at the point where the hike-a-bike was about to start.

Rather than fixing the puncture there and then, I decided to get to the bivvy spot and get set-up. I would then be able to fix the puncture immediately, or leave it till morning. I should have had a look at my potential bivvy spot during the day though, as in the pitch black, without using my head torch, I walked passed it, twice. I knew roughly where it was, I’ve cycled in the general vicinity many times before, I’ve just never gone to have a look at the actual site.

I decided not to use my head torch while walking across the field, as it turned out there was at least one abode that was much closer than I was expecting. So I ended up walking in slightly the wrong direction, following what I thought was a track that would lead me to the site. I knew something wasn’t quite right when I go to the other end of the field and a tarmac road. I could also see some flashing red lights on the other side of the road, which I decided not to investigate.

I backtracked across the field again, trying to stay close to the edge, as I knew this should take me to the site. I couldn’t follow the edge of the field for long though, as there was a fenced off section that forced me out into the middle. I still didn’t want to use my torch, as I could clearly see some sort of structure that was light up quite brightly. I wasn’t sure if this was a house, or someone else at the bivvy site. It was at this point I decided to stop aimlessly wandering around a field in the dark and head for Plan B, one of the bird hides at Wicken Fen. I still had to fix my puncture though, so headed to some picnic tables I’d seen about a mile away. I whipped the inner tube out of the rear tyre, but couldn’t find any holes, so swapped it for my spare and headed off into the night again.

I arrived at the bird hide without further incident and quickly got myself inside and set up. Off came the cycling kit, on went some old thermals, then into the sleeping bag. I’d decided to take a couple of luxuries with me on this trip, so read my Kindle for a bit while drinking a can of Thornbridge Jaipur. Eventually, I put everything away and tried to get some sleep.

Rather than heading straight home, the plan was to follow quieter back roads to Phoenix Cycleworks, have a coffee and some cake, then head home. Rather than cycling along the busy main road between Wicken and Soham, I decided to go off road. The fens are still waterlogged and while parts weren’t too bad, some parts were barely ridable, with the rear wheel spinning madly in the slop. One section was being sanitised, with two thirds of the width under a load of un-cyclable rubble, while the other third was ankle deep liquid mud.

Thankfully the rear wheel stayed inflated and I eventually rolled into Phoenix Cycleworks for my coffee, which hit the spot. Then it was simply a case of riding home around a load of the local villages so that my completed distance was just over a hundred kilometres. Thirteen hours, twenty six minutes after I left, I rolled back up the driveway and switched the cycle computer off, my first overnight adventure of the year completed.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done but I would advise - stop counting the hours and allow time to become a little more meaningless :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done BobArnott... :-bd
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Set off Friday afternoon trying to reach my spot before dark. Hard going on a very muddy track always slightly uphill. Could hear traffic noise from about half a mile away... can almost detect the urgency in everyone's driving in the race to get home for the weekend. Thank God I'm not on the road.

I reached my moorland spot about 20 minutes before 5pm, just enough light to get it up, then a steep drop to get water from the stream.

It was drizzling a bit and very gloomy.

Once I was in I was in, and didn't emerge till 8:30 the following morning.

First job was to get boots, socks, and bib tights off, and put my warm jacket on.

Then I brewed hot water for my Expedition Veg Tikka with rice (1000 kcals), then topped up my cup to make a big brew of black tea with plenty of sugar...

ImageIMG_2964 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

A great spot with no traffic noise whatsoever, but what's apparent is the sound of jets high up somewhere, taking a minute or so for the sound to evaporate, only to be followed by yet another one... towards midnight it went quieter.

A steady 4 degrees through the night. I was too warm and had to take the jacket off.

Quite comfortable too. The long grass I was in makes for a very comfortable pitch.

ImageIMG_2965 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2968 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

Away for 10am, in gloom and mist still 4 degrees.

Headed for BG Cafe for breakfast and 2 pots of tea, then up the hill through the Rivington Gardens for the steep HAB to the top of Winter Hill.

26 miles with 3300 feet.

Only one problem:
Wildcat Lion handlebar bag hitting the mudguard at the slightest bump (posted elsewhere on here hoping someone can put me out of my misery.

I dug out the instructions and I've fitted it correctly. I also have a 'tongue' and it advises attaching the tongue to the Lion as high as possible...

Except that the velcro on the tongue could be 3 inches higher.

So I may Gorilla glue another piece of velcro higher up.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Managed to get one on the 2020 scoreboard, a cheeky run out after work last Friday to my favourite canal side retreat and my first time out on the Sonder with an almost full load. I have been struggling to get back on the bike after nearly two years off, loving the new bike, the Frontier is pretty sweet, I just need to sort the rider out now ready for five days bivvying around Brittany this July.

ImageIMG_20200124_203753 by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200125_065113 by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200125_094316 by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

Breakfast was a trip back into town for a vegan sausage roll and a cup of tea at Greggs before heading for home.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

BAM 1/1 ...... WOW finally back on bike after 6 months with busted shoulder, a couple of commutes and longer rides then thought lets do it. Loaded the ramin up and headed to Rivington (not too far to see how shoulder held up fully loaded), weather forecast for last night was crap but hey - ho only got tonight to get my bam started. Set off at 8pm in a little drizzle then began the long slog up to Lead Mines Clough at Rivington. 1 1/2 hrs later arrived to a cold damp camp spot, took the 1 man tent rather than tarp for a bit more protection. Got set up then made some steak , peppercorn sauce and cheesy mash for supper before settling down. Was woken at 1.30am to big hailstone shower followed by claps of thunder then the woods came alive with owls hooting and a fox crying... the hail and rain continued throughout the early hours when at 5am my alarm went off , time to pack up , did'nt bother with brekkie as still hailstoning an wanted to get home. A very sketchy ride out from the camp spot but downhill most the way home. MIssed being out camping on the bike and boy have I put the poundage on !!!!.
Image20200127_160626 by Gary Adamson, on FlickrImage20200127_214448 by Gary Adamson, on Flickr

Image20200127_220442 by Gary Adamson, on Flickr
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
Moff

Post by Moff »

BAM 1/1 - 2020 is a go.

Gave myself a challenge of a start, which meant I had to haul myself off the sofa and out the nice warm house. In doing so I left a nice deposit of grit and mud in the hallway from loading the bike up, but got out the door at 10pm for the 19km up to the woods between Farley Mount and Kings Sombourne.

The sky was clear and a frost was developing which looked all lovely and sparkly in the lights, going was a mixture of soggy, soggy off road and easy rolling back lanes. The soggyness and horse churned trails meant far more hike-a-bike than I had hoped for, with one mid-calf swamp section which smell 'lovely' as I squelched through!

Shortly after this my Reba's decided they wanted to run in a shorter setting and dumped all their air, so now the front tyre was buzzing my bar bag under braking and bigger hits. Nearly bailed and roll back home as I didn't have a shock pump with me and was originally planning continuing on to work in the morning.

Decided to press on as I wasn't too far from the woods, at which point I had a panic about whether I'd packed the pegs for the tarp!! Ah! Sod it! Hopefully I can find some trees that are close enough together that I can string it up.

No, turns out the trees are too widely spaced apart...but luckily, pegs were found stashed in the frame bag. Found myself a nice little flat area, screened from the bridleway by some coniferous trees.

A quick warming dose of Hot Chocolate (2 packs into 1 water serving) and it was time to get my head down and listen to a couple of podcasts (R4 Friday night comedy and some wittertainment), but not before getting slightly freaked out by the blood curdling cries of some foxes!

Morning arrived too soon, a quick pack up and a flapjack and I was on my way to work.
The Test valley seems to be a combination of greasy chalk and claggy clay, so with a knackered fork mixed in I decided to forgo the last few km's of trail and road the last leg.
Cue many questions from my colleagues about what I'd been up to.

Now I have to decide how I'll get home?
The dropped forks are messing up the geometry, bars too low and saddle the wrong angle.
30km mostly road pedal back or 10km to the station for the 'will it stop here' train?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

First bivvy of the year for me last night.

Frankly, I had a shitter of a day at work, and then the forecast took a turn for the worst, so I'm slightly surprised I made it out.
Boring road climbs were tackled in a mood of grim determination, and closer bivvy spots were spurned in favour of somewhere with a bit more in the way of shelter. I even rode past three(!) countryside pubs without calling in.

Anyhoo, once I'd reach my destination I soon snuggled down, and hoped that my overactive mind would take the opportunity to chill out. This failed spectacularly, and I awoke earlier than I'd have liked, my brain still whirring. At least I was dry and warm, despite the sounds of some fairly inclement weather overnight. Porridge and a hot chocolate to start the day, and I took the time to admire the interior design before plodding my way home.

2020 BAM 1/1
2020 total bivvies 1
Current streak (months) 14
Robster

Post by Robster »

European Bikepacking Trip

My first bivvy a month, fingers crossed it's not the last...

left home & cycled a full 5miles to a hill by a quarry with the sound of the trains on the mainline. Found a bit of shelter out of the wind while listening to the gale force winds close by.

The stars were out & a rather fitful nights sleep until 5.30 when it was time to head the 3 miles home, the direct route.

That's me started & best wishes & happy advetures to you all.

Local underpass.

Early morning.

Cheers Robster.

P.S. Hope to get out on some joint ones with Darbeeze if he's up for it! :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Is there a special prize or maybe a alternative badge on offer to biggest BAM loser???

Failure on month one of 2020 - boom!

Had lots of plans which almost happened and then either the weather or my back didn't allow anything to actually happen.

Tonight was my last chance and whilst changing the BB bearings on my fatty my back went big stylee and I'm out of action (likely for a week or two or more).

I'm trying to think of hilarious ways to word this but I can't so I'll be honest and say that I'm feeling pretty f*cking low right now with no end in sight for my pain and lack of fun on a bike. :cry:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

:sad:

On the upside, you can start BAM any month you like, so 2020 isn't a complete washout.
And just because you can't do beerpacking, doesn't mean you can't do beer.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m in!
Just did what I’m calling BAM03 last night. Just a cheeky little post work bivi commute in the NT woodland sort of on my way home and back in time for breakfast. Minimal family disruption caused, Mrs Ranger onside so let’s see if I can make this stick.
Pretty warm night so good and cosy despite a rapidly deflating Thermarest.
Next months sleep is going to be during a sloppy slog along the Wessex Ridgeway next weekend. Bring it on.
It’s BAM03 as i’m using count back:

BAM01 November 2019 - Northern Dartmoor Loop
https://strava.app.link/hvaO5o2rH3

BAM02 December 2019 - SW Winter Bivi
https://strava.app.link/vhJ1f4WrH3

BAM03 January 2020 - Bivi commute.
https://strava.app.link/otNvoFNrH3
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
gairym

Post by gairym »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:00 pm :sad:

On the upside, you can start BAM any month you like, so 2020 isn't a complete washout.
And just because you can't do beerpacking, doesn't mean you can't do beer.
Thanks sir but it does if you've stopped drinking in order to shift some weight. :-bd
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

First BAM last night, toe in water gave some lessons ....... thank f*&£ it didn’t rain.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Crack on when your ready :-bd I’m out tonight, last chance saloon, life getting in the way of things again :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

SeannyD wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:21 pm Crack on when your ready :-bd I’m out tonight, last chance saloon, life getting in the way of things again :-bd
At least one of us is upholding his half of the bargain - good effort on making it happen against the odds!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm not rejoining, but at it's the end of the month....

Just in case I get out in Feb I'm claiming my 1/1 on the Winter Event earlier this month :ugeek:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A fair few last minute equalisers there.... K1100T - you've inspired me to include a local bird hide in my campaign this year!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:59 pm I'm not rejoining, but at it's the end of the month....

Just in case I get out in Feb I'm claiming my 1/1 on the Winter Event earlier this month :ugeek:
Just the one ‘last hit’ then John..,,,you’ll be back on it full time, mark my words. :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

1/1.
I didn't think I would manage to find the time to get out this month after the initial attempt at my January BAM was derailed by the offer of a warm dry but not necessarily wind free hotel room after a bit of a damp and draughty ride on the Saturday of the winter event ! But I enjoyed the motivation to get out at least once a month last year so wanted to do the same again so i ignored what I should have been doing packed the bike and headed out Wednesday night for a bivvy on British Camp the most prominent hill fort in the area , had to retreat due to the strength of the wind but managed my best ever nights sleep in a bivi bag a bit lower down the slopes .

So definitely in for another go this year
Boab

Post by Boab »

htrider wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 pm A fair few last minute equalisers there.... K1100T - you've inspired me to include a local bird hide in my campaign this year!
February's BaM might feature a different hide, I need to buy that tarp!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.