Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by sean_iow »

That's December done, it was also my Covid Edition Socially Distant Winter Bivi

I had planned to ride round all the Cycle Quest points on the Island but a friend wanted some advice about constructing a concrete ramp up to his industrial unit for a forklift so I went past his instead and missed out the first two locations. I stopped to answer my phone and whist doing so it started to rain, so I also put my waterproof on so of course as soon as I started riding again it stopped raining :roll: why does that happen? I used to assume it would stop so didn't bother putting the waterproof on and would then be soaked to the skin by the time I conceded it wasn't stopping. It was a good excuse to take a picture of the bike which was still relatively clean having been washed specially for the trip.

Having stopped off for tea at the unit it was on to Cowes for the first of the Cycle Quest questions, this picture wont help you as the info you need is on the side of the pillar :smile:

I didn't know it at the time but in the background on the mainland would be 1000s of DFLs (down from London) waiting to escape to their second homes for Christmas to get out of Tier 4.... perhaps we should follow the Welsh example from the 80s to show them how welcome they are :wink:

It was on westwards into a stiff headwind (it is 90% of the time going west) to the next point. Better than last years winter bivi where I rode into a stiff headwind for 100 miles the first day albeit helped by Andy for the second half once we met up. No photo of his one as that would give the answer away. It was then back towards home, passing two more points on the way, so that's 4/6 done, I'll save the other 2 for another day.

I stopped at my house on the way by and somehow when I left I was in clean and dry riding kit rather than the soggy muddy stuff I arrived in? Don't know how that happened :???: It was then only a mile to my Mum's for the bivi. Collecting the ale I'd left at hers previously and topping up my water I fought my way through the undergrowth to a clear-ish spot in the woods. Tarp up I cleared a bit of ground for the stove, Finding dry wood was an issue as it had been raining on and off all day. I managed to find some dead bits hung up in branches where they fell off and got caught but I still had to scrape the wet off the outside with my knife.

I managed to collect enough for dinner but I still needed to find some for pudding. Widening my search I stumbled upon an old abandoned wood-store which had some old pallets in it plus a handy billhook for splitting them down, what a lucky find :wink: This provided plenty for pudding plus a stack ready for breakfast. I had treated myself to an Extreme Food rice pudding for the occasion... it really wasn't worth the effort of cutting the wood, despite using the correct amount of water it was mainly liquid and a straw would have been more use than a spoon, I think they forgot to put the rice in?

Luckily my chocolate caramel biscuit porter made up for it. With that drunk it was an early night. I hadn't paid too much attention when putting the tarp up as being in the woods I thought any rain would be falling straight down, however, when it chucked it down in the night quite a lot seemed to be coming in under the tarp, luckily I had brought the fully waterproof bivi so I just hunkered down inside. As I had permission to bivi in the woods (Mum said I could :smile: ) I was in no rush to get up the next morning so it was light, so a better picture than normal months.

A leisurely breakfast and coffee followed by putting all the wet kit back on the bike. It was only when I went to leave I noticed my back tyre was flat, fortunately it's under a mile to my house so I made it home after pumping it up, although the last hill down to mine was ridden standing up with as much weight on the bars as I could to keep the rim off the floor :lol: Fixing that can be a job for another day.

That's 10/12 for me and 9/12 for Ralph as we stared late. I'll probably start from scratch in Jan as I've completed 2 years previously, I think Ralph will keep going with this streak as he's not done 12 in a row before.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Brilliant. Loved that - the cookery, the rain, the quiz ('Egypt'?). This T4 business has really got me down now, I've done every bit of our garden and the shed this year. Admittedly not the wendy house which has all my tools in, nor the little 'well' area outside our cellar window at the front which seems impractical (9' long, 1'6" wide, 5' deep... hmm... maybe....). Well done you and Ralph. I can see it being New Year's Eve Cliffhanger here.

(Those DFLs. Grr. Thus destroying the point of T4, and importing the problem into IoW. So much for the Eyam spirit. Dog turd through letterbox?)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:55 pm Dog turd through letterbox?)
It's Christmas so maybe a cocktail* :wink:

*Molotov
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I was meant to get pics of Christmas lights on my BAM but by the time it got dark it was raining and cold so I didn't want to faff, so to cheer Reg up here's the view from my front window at home :-bd

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

So, last one of 2020.

A very local one in a spot I didn't know existed until a fortnight ago. I was pootling along looking for hammocking places, when I saw a gap in the hedge and a tyre mark going through it. I had to look. It's an old army camp a little more than five miles from home, that was built in the grounds of a (run-down)stately home near Chester. The area has been largely reclaimed by silver birch and brambles and there are some quite extensive tarmacked areas and a few broken-down buildings, but I did find two that still had their roofs on. One, an old gents toilet with smashed urinals and floor deep-layered with leaves, the other a much bigger one with a good clear area just begging for a bivvy. But when I checked the ceiling, there were lots of little stalactites all over and I thought it might leak, so plumped for a less optimal but less be-stallactited corner. I needn't have bothered. It rained heavily in the night but there were no drips in either area.

I'd left home at 8:30pm, in drizzle. Because it was only a few miles, I could afford to take a little extra luxuries - a little wood stove and my camp chair. I could sit comfortably and warm my toes while sipping my bison-grass vodka. And some festive lights just to look good on the photos. A large candle completed the festive picture.

Bed for the night...

Digs for the night, next morning.

Then pedal home for 10 o'clock. Another BAM year done. Huzzar! Roll on 2021, even if it means camping in the garden again for a few BAMs
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Boab

Post by Boab »

I spent Friday evening planning my December bivy route. Head off through Saffron Walden, to a spot I've been eyeing up all year. Then loop through a load of pokey back roads, back to Saffron Walden and coffee and cake in Bicicletta. Then head off along more back roads, towards Sudbury, but turn North and head for Maglia Rosso and more coffee and cake. Finally, loop round to Phoenix Cycleworks for, yes, more coffee and cake, before heading home.

After watching the tousled haired bell-end make yet another u-turn, I lost all motivation for leaving the house. The planned route would go through two different Tier 4 areas, so I was busy making excuses to go an hide under my duvet. After a swift talking to from my wife, a new route staying in Tier 2 areas was quickly produced and off we went.

The plan for my first bivy, back in January, was to see if I could sneak into a local back to basics camp site. It's currently "closed" due to the pandemic, but unless you're going to erect proper barriers, then people can just open the gate and walk in, which I did. Was quite nice to come full circle and finally realise January's plan. I did hum and haw over going there, so I took the tent and nearly decided to use it, but the lure of the composting loo in the morning was too much.

I had a good nights sleep, all things considered, and fell asleep really easily. I woke up plenty of times, but had no trouble dropping off again, and was probably a bit too warm. I put some water on for porridge and then coffee, which I ate and drank like a reclining Roman, from my sleeping bag. I was in no rush to pack up and leave, so it wasn't till 08:30 odd, that I was back on tarmac and underway.

I changed my plans slightly, instead of heading off up NCR 11, before looping back through Soham, I continued all the way to Ely. Then doubled back through the fens, via Prickwillow, for coffee and cake at Phoenix Cycleworks. Low sun, and flat, straight fen roads, made for a couple of near SMIDSY's, which wasn't the nicest. But I made it to Phoenix Cycleworks in one piece, for that coffee and cake.

My Wahoo was on 4% battery and my phone not much better, luckily Phoenix had a spare charger, so we got some juice into the GPS. I was also wearing too heavy a top, so my base layer was sodden, and I 'd been getting chilly in the wind. So I decided to bail for home, rather than risk not being able to phone for help. Coffee and cake in Maglia Rosso will have to wait until Wednesday morning.

While I only managed 123 km, it's the furthest I've ridden since my September BaM and starting my new job. I wore the wrong clothes and didn't eat or drink enough again, so it currently feels like I did far, far more.

This was January, and my first ever bikepacking adventure:

This was today, lovely day for it:

Fun breakdown: 85% type 1, 10% type 2, 5% type 3.
Strava: Distance: 123.30km; Moving time: 5:32:14; Elevation: 482m
2020 BaM: 12/12 🎉
Last edited by Boab on Tue May 25, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

That's a fair old trot you got out for, looks like a grand sunrise too!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Two more crackers there! Going out with a bang for 2020. Massively jealous.

Although Frog what on earth are you doing passing up a perfectly serviceable gents toilet in exchange for an empty room? Shocking and blatant example of breaking Rule #19 there matey.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

just wondering... if anyone knows from previous years trends, when Stu usually opens up the next years BAM thread. Am still in 2 minds whether to start my 2021BAM with a December lockdown BAM you see... Hmmmm
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Frog and K1100T had much nicer accomodation than I did, well anywhere not in the rain would have been nicer than my location :grin:

Nice trips lads :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

opens up next year's
Errr..... "2021 BaM"..... "December 2020" :???:
Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:27 pm Although Frog what on earth are you doing passing up a perfectly serviceable gents toilet in exchange for an empty room? Shocking and blatant example of breaking Rule #19 there matey.
:grin:
Sorry Reg, but I just couldn't face sweeping out all the dried leaves without a brush/shovel to hand. I'll try to do better next time....
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:53 pm [quote[
opens up next year's
Errr..... "2021 BaM"..... "December 2020" :???:
[/quote]

So any minute now Reg... If I went and did a Dec2020 BAM I might be able to sneak it onto the 'newfangled' (am I saying it right), sparkling and shiny 2021BAM thread... :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think we're operating to different calendars :???: :smile:

Still, time is an illusion.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lunchtime doubly so.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:02 pm I think we're operating to different calendars :???: :smile:

This is the issue with allowing people to choose the start rather than it being fixed as January.

Ralph's January, February and March bivis will be posted in the 2020 thread* so can Shaf's December be in the 2021?

* I've really lost my grip on reality now :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:27 pm
RIP wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:02 pm I think we're operating to different calendars :???: :smile:

This is the issue with allowing people to choose the start rather than it being fixed as January.

Ralph's January, February and March bivis will be posted in the 2020 thread* so can Shaf's December be in the 2021?

* I've really lost my grip on reality now :???:
Eh? Jan Feb Mar are IN 2020 so that's fine but Dec is 2020 too. If Shaf was a pub man he'd be sitting in the Dyffryn Arms at Pontfaen right now.

PS. Reality is an illusion as well.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh I see, Ralph's J/F/M 2021 will be in 2020. Nah he can't have them for 2020 surely but he CAN have his 4SL badge after March which I thought was his aim? I'm sure you said that was his priority, but then he was clear to go for a 12-month 2021.

Shaf you need to have a clear break, start again in Jan, aiming for 12 bivis in 2021. Next Dec you can then claim '2021 BaM' AND the 12-in-a-row 'Four Season Legion' badge. Or you'll get well confused.

The problem originated ages ago when contestants wanted to get the badge without waiting until the next January to start their run.

'BaM 20xx' and 'Four Season Legion' are entirely separate 'awards'....

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:07 am The problem originated ages ago when contestants wanted to get the badge without waiting until the next January to start their run.

'BaM 20xx' and 'Four Season Legion' are entirely separate 'awards'....
The Four Season Legion badge is the prize for completing the BAM but as you said people started late in the first year and that's now causing confusion as they (me) are allowed to post on the BAM thread, I don't think the BAM rules even say you have to start in January?

Who's going to break the news to Ralph? :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ralph's just looked at the rules on page 1 of BAM 2020...

1/ At least one night out during every calendar month ... feel free to start any month you like, just as long as you tot up 12 consecutive months,
RIP

Post by RIP »

Absolutely. But it would be mad (what am I saying) to have separate threads for BaM 20xx and 4SL.

This is, as per title, the 2020 Jan-Dec thread. However on sufferance we allow new contestants to start part way through the year so that they can log each month and so work towards their 4SL. At the end of Dec (arg must pull my finger out) the Jan-Dec crowd get their 'BaM 2020 award' but the 4SL lot get nowt.

At some point in 2021, in the 'BaM 2021' thread, a 4SL-er will reach his/her 12 milestone and get a badge. If they keep going to Dec 2021 they claim 'BaM 2021' as well.

Perfectly clear. Er.

redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 am Ralph's just looked at the rules on page 1 of BAM 2020...

1/ At least one night out during every calendar month ... feel free to start any month you like, just as long as you tot up 12 consecutive months,
Yes.. I remember this rule clearly... It was such a lovely day when someone (I think Stu) once pointed it out...

Reg, I get your point of 'a clean break then start in 2021'.... Summat to ponder whilst I set the GRs for Ollie... Seems there's nothing in the deep south (middle... Brighton ends) over 200m :o How sad that must be for the locals...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

December Done, Bam 2020 done :-bd
Nothing arduous, in fact my shortest ride too and from a bivvy of the year excepting my two back garden ones. A few leisurely miles down the cycleway to Devilla forest and then off to the spot I used in February. Except it had disappeared.... 20 minutes of thrashing through the undergrowth got me to what I thought was the spot but on checking my photos from February it clearly wasn't. Oh well it was fine, so got the deschutes up sharpish and inside just as a sprinkle of rain came on. Heated up the mulled wine, drank it and a nip of whisky whilst having a read. Woke up on the shortest day to lots of bird song - swans, geese and duck in the nearby Peffermill reservoir; a couple of barn owls and various small cheapers.

Dawn took a while on the shortest day
Morning yeti :grin:
Despite it being December I discovered a tick wandering across the back of my hand (a small one so it hadn't had a chance to drink my blood) so packed up sharpish and headed home. Roll on 2021!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Winter Solstice.

I've bivvied out on/close to the Winter Solstice for the past few years and last night co-incided with a decent spell of weather. I hadn't planned on going far, so left after dinner when it was already well dark and headed off to look at three potential sites. It was a bit windier than I'd expected so the last of the 3 I'd already ruled out (being higher and exposed). Site 1 I'd used before. I checked it on the way past and it was vacant so was still a possibility. Site 2 was also vacant and was somewhere I'd been meaning to check out.

I had the Lunas Solo with me this time rather than tarp and bag. As much as for a change as anything else. I found an ideal dry, flat spot under the extensive branches of an old pine, set up and just relaxed to look at the stars for a while. Supper of single malt and salted cashews was consumed before I hit the sack. I slept with the tent doors open, content with the fresh air and starry view.

I woke at 7 am but it was still dark so nodded of again, packed and was on my way just as it was officially sunrise - 8:51 - though it's much later in reality on account of the mountains. I stopped at a cafe for breakfast - just to make sure I wasn't home before 10:02, the actual time of solstice.

So, that's 2020 BAM complete. 49th sequential month.

I'll likely do a wee wrap-up post with my thoughts on the year as a whole, but reasonably content to have got through 2020 with only the one backyard bivvy required.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bivvy-A-Month done for 2020, with an unwittingly solstice-timed trip out with Trep. She had itchy pedals, so had already done a goodly lap of the Dark Peak before we met. I didn’t have the same need for distance, and was just happy to be out and amongst nature. The skies were clear as we found our way into the woods, and stars shone down through the pines as we set camp.
↟↟↟
Chicken curries were rehydrated and scoffed; my pack had nice pictures of all the ingredients in separate piles, followed by the words “serving suggestion”! I decided it was far too late to separate out all the grains of rice from the chicken, never mind the spices!
↟↟↟
In common with a lot of folks I guess, my feelings have been in a bit of a slump recently. Covid, Brexit, a sad anniversary – it was good to take a moment away from everything and sip whisky in the dark. And so we woke to the shortest day.

Pics here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJEYK04lJfC/
And some bonus Christmas lights pics, especially for Reg: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJEYoJYFJxO/

2020 BAM 12/12
2020 total bivvies 15
Current streak (months) 25