Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by RIP »

Park Brompton, Gatewood out of the S-bag, quick pitch, mat and bag in, lie with beer watching fireworks!

Wishing all Boners and their families/friends/bikes/dogs/owls a peaceful, healthy, but excitingly unusual 2021....

12/12, 12/12, 59/59

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:24 am Happy New Year, Reg :YMPARTY:

Although by now I expect you've had some kip, breakfasted and pedalled back up the garden for a proper sleep in the warm :lol: .
Cheers Pete, and you! A balmy 0degC out here tonight, very pleasant.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Ooft... a dramatic last minute finish there Reg. Never in doubt, though! :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

JimmyG wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:28 am Ooft... a dramatic last minute finish there Reg. Never in doubt, though! :-bd
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.... :-bd

Happy New Year to one and all...
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:28 am A balmy 0degC out here tonight, very pleasant.
Just checked met office page, apparently it went down to -5 here last night...I certainly felt I'd pushed things to the limits when it came to how many layers you can wear and still stuff yourself into a bivvy bag already stuffed with a mat, sleeping bag and liner :lol:
I was warm enough and slept alright but it was one of those odd nights where for no obvious reasons I needed loads of pees (I think a bit of dehydration from cycling usually helps), which was sooo annoying, not to mention hard work on account of all the layers...after the third one at 2.30 I decided to say sod it, take one last look at a milky moon and headed inside to my bed...
RIP

Post by RIP »

JimmyG wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:28 am Ooft... a dramatic last minute finish there Reg. Never in doubt, though! :-bd
:smile: . My apologies for any tense moments there :wink: .

It was terribly contrived I know but I childishly have to invent some small ridiculous feature each time now or it's just pointless 'camping in the garden' :wink: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:13 am
RIP wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:28 am A balmy 0degC out here tonight, very pleasant.
Just checked met office page, apparently it went down to -5 here last night...I certainly felt I'd pushed things to the limits when it came to how many layers you can wear and still stuff yourself into a bivvy bag already stuffed with a mat, sleeping bag and liner ........
Nice one V. At least you were out there. -1degC touched here. I'm deffo feeling the cold more these days. Winter bag and baselayer top/leggings, socks, but also Ghost Whisperer jacket and down balaclava. Still felt a bit nippy around 5am.

On the plus side I was reminded how fantastically comfy my Exped Winterlite mat is, along with the Pillow Pump. Getting the inflation just right makes a hell of a difference though, ie not too firm.

The Gatewood did its stuff competently as well. Didn't make a big effort 'pitching perfect' but added the 2 extra lifters at the last moment (stole some of Mrs P's garden sticks, shhh). Glad I did because it keeps the fabric and condensation off the bag ends. There was plenty of room for airflow but no wind so had some condensation before it frosted over. Next time I'll add the extender mini-pole, and angle the pole much more towards the door to make it easier to position the mat/bag under the highest part. At under 300g it really is one of those makes-you-giggle at the fun of using it bits of gear.

Anyone else out there?

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I think our overnighter was around -5 too. The nearest weather station recorded it at -7 but it didn't feel as cold as when we slept out at -7 last year. It also helped that I took my usb heated gilet, though I barely turned it on - the thing is ridiculously warm on its own - I draped it over my legs in the night and I have to say it is rather marvellous to be able to warm up at the touch of a button when needed.

It's probably considered cheating by some, but I don't care - not being warm enough really kills enjoyment and I thoroughly enjoyed this last trip.

I'm pleased to see you made it under the wire Reg.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Good on you both for getting out there in the snow Bridget. Looked like a fun trip. :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It's probably considered cheating by some...
I can't see why, it's your kit and you've lugged it out there.
RIP

Post by RIP »

So, hopefully Phil will be along soon with the official scoreboard but picking up from his November list we have:

JimG - Dec & 2021 done
ScotRoutes - Dec & 2021 done
Froggie - Dec & 2021 done
Trep - Dec & 2021 done
Landslide - Dec & 2021 done
Reg - Dec & 2021 done
Phil - Dec & 2021 done
Eric - Dec & 2021 done
Ragged Kev - Dec & 2021 done
K1100T - Dec & 2021 done

You out there Ben C? Jose McT?

Not sure if Charlie's in but not mentioned in Phil's earlier list?

Bridget/Joe?

Plus a few 'started after January' - Sean etc.

Top effort folks in a less than ideal situation :-bd

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup as far as I can make out I have the following completions in terms of 12 months within 2020:
Jimmy G
RIP
Frog
Trepid
Htrider
Scotroutes
K1100T
Ericrobo
Landslide
Raggedstone

Jose sounds like he's done it too, just waiting on Ben.

It seems if you make it past April, your on for all 12 months. Well done folks and also well done to the late starters, folks who didn't do all 12 months and in fact everyone!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:30 pm Bridget/Joe?
We missed Jan to June so we won't complete til June 2021 now. We don't have a garden we could have slept in during lockdown and were busy moving house at the start of 2020.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Sorry, nearly there - November was a pleasant saunter along the coastline and sand dune bivy in cold temperatures.

Past the eerily quiet town centre Christmas lights

Supply boats and turbines from Aberdeen beachfront

Squeezing between the coastline and the encroaching high tide

Comfy in the sand

Better than expected sunrise

Patriotic bunkers

These fatbikers might be on to something

Little more here:
https://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2020-november

That was 11/11, so I'll try and gather my pictures from December tomorrow, which was tied to the Solstice Century just before Christmas!
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Been really tired since November 12th. Walking round the block was my biggest challenge of the year. Shame I couldn't complete it. 11/12 ain't bad. Some neat stories in there.

Hoping for a ride to sleep as well as a sleep to ride style BaM each month once I recover.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

benconnolli wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 pm Been really tired since November 12th. Walking round the block was my biggest challenge of the year. Shame I couldn't complete it. 11/12 ain't bad. Some neat stories in there.

Hoping for a ride to sleep as well as a sleep to ride style BaM each month once I recover.
Sorry to hear that Ben, how gutting for you. If you are that poorly though you need to prioritise getting well again. I hope you feel better soon.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Really sorry to hear that Ben, but recovery has to come first when you get into that kind of condition. This is a battle I have constantly with my wife when she's feeling similar to what you describe and won't accept that rest is sometimes the only answer, so good luck and hopefully get yourself recovered for BAM 2021 instead!

I'm just adding in my last BAM to the thread, so I don't end up adding it in February or something. It was inspired by an email from Restrap about doing a Solstice Century - I haven't done many long rides this year, so why not do the longest on one of the darkest nights? I'm sure that makes sense somehow.

I headed for Insch at about 10pm in the evening, enjoying Christmas lights and icy roads the further north I got.

Not much time for night shots, with a failing camera battery

After much diverting for VVE tile collecting, I tucked myself away out of the wind in a forest near Huntly around 0130

Next morning was a very slow start navigating icy backroads and diversions inappropriate for my tyre choice

Despite the conditions, I was back in time for lunch and to put some ointment on my no longer hardened posterior. That takes me to 12/12 and 3 years in a row.

A bit more detail here:
https://highlanddrifter.com/bam-2020-december

See you all in the 2021 thread, no point stopping now!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Do you not have an underquilt on the hammock? I'm interested in your set-up as I assume it was cold if the roads were icy.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

benconnolli wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:23 pm Some neat stories in there
Including yours Ben of course, always a bit of food for thought.

Anyway, bad luck, hope you perk up soon, and 'upsadaisy' and back into the fray for this year.

JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:09 am Do you not have an underquilt on the hammock? I'm interested in your set-up as I assume it was cold if the roads were icy.
I know the underquilt is supposed to be the way to go, but I feel like the bulk required would make me less inclined to take the hammock on long rides. I just get by with a normal inflatable mat (Klymit Ultralite SL) and take my winter bag if it's going to be below zero. I also don't get inside my sleeping bag as normal, I unzip it down to about knee level and use the top 3/4 as a quilt, tucked around my sides to keep cosy.

A more insulated mat like my old self-inflating Thermarest works better if temps are really low and my DD hammock holds the mat in place better thanks to the double layers, but the Exped setup takes up about the same room as a bivy bag, so I'm happy using it nearly all the time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry to hear that Ben and well done Jose
I think that's a wrap folks, see you on the 2021 thread :-bd
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks for taking the trouble to sift through all of the year's entries Phil. Can't have been easy but it's certainly much appreciated by us BAMmers!
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

JimmyG wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:36 pm Thanks for taking the trouble to sift through all of the year's entries Phil. Can't have been easy but it's certainly much appreciated by us BAMmers!
+1 :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nah, it meant I got to read everyone's posts again :-bd