Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Eric and Reg. Yes, i shall look for some of them Nordisk types and get myself a little trinket of pegs going. 3 of Stus carbon ones and a couple of couple of others...

Eric, regarding the lines. Believe it or not I actually dont have any and was just pegging the TT out with the little straps attached to its corners :o Thick or what. Will get some lines ordered (did ask Stu but I think he assumed I was looking to upgrade the guy lines as opposed to actually investing in some :smile: )...
RIP

Post by RIP »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TITO-Titaniu ... KKDF71 . Not entirely sure what a 'windproof' peg is but there we go. Bung little loop of bright line through two top holes so never lose 'em. Keep in separate bag to stop soil getting on your other stuff cos they're not as easy to wipe clean on grass as round pegs.

2mm dyneema line (mix red n yellow to save time working out which line is which. I have diff coloured gaffertape tabs on my tie-outs for highspeed id but I can't remember which colour is which so it takes longer than not having them :wink: ) and glow-in-the-dark mini lineloks from backpackinglight - nice people

https://www.backpackinglight.co. ... -121.html

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/s ... 106.html

1m of line, linelok at peg end, running bowline through the tie-out at the other end so is easy to take off, and away you go. Or superhardcore: substitute tautline hitches for lineloks and impress all your friends and relations :smile: .

Just get it sorted!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:05 pm Eric, regarding the lines. Believe it or not I actually dont have any and was just pegging the TT out with the little straps attached to its corners :o Thick or what. Will get some lines ordered (did ask Stu but I think he assumed I was looking to upgrade the guy lines as opposed to actually investing in some :smile: )...
Using short guys will improve your ability to tension it properly, especially on uneven or rocky ground where peg placement might be problematic. It should also improve ventilation, making condensation less likely.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Got some of these on order for a bit of a tinker: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear ... ck-p11881 . Anyone tried? Stick 'em on lines at tarp end with bowline at peg end. In theory adjustable from inside tarp. 1:1 ratio rather than 2:1 although I can't see a drawback to that. In fact opposite of drawback - line could be reduced to 'zero' length if so desired. Maybe, if line very long, slightly harder to get onto the peg in the first place while adjusting it at same time? Will find out I guess! Claim they work on 1mm line, and I'll try and push them to 0.5 without much hope of success tbh.

I'm obviously at a 'loose end' at the moment...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use them on all my myog tarps and tents, work a treat.

As you say you can shorten the line to nothing and do it from under the tarp :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Sean, oh well that'll give me something to do on those long dark winter evenings...

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:30 pm It only remains to thank Pete for a low-key but very enjoyable evening out.
Thanks Reg, I found it a pleasure to spend the evening in the company of bikepacking's philosophical titan :ugeek: .

:wink:
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

Thanks for the education Reg/Colin... Reg, I'm gonna say summat that you'll be ashamed of me for, forever...

Them linelocs you show from the lightbackpacker place. I had some black versions on the shaped tarp. They were confusing and I don't think I managed to actually slide em how one would think they should slide :sad:

So much so was my problem of not understanding lineloks that I actually went to this site https://www.animatedknots.com/bowline-knot yo learn how to make a proper line taut instead....

Then I recalled that I needed it all (profanity goes here but I'm not using!) for the winter months and that my fingers get very cold very quickly at night even in the autumn months :shock:

Then I realised why so many people just prefer bivvies and just get rained and snowed on (and eventually wither away). A very sad situation indeed when you know not how to hitch a line nor how to use a line loc and to top it off, don't have a peg for soft ground :lol:

Bloomin...
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:35 pm Got some of these on order for a bit of a tinker: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear ... ck-p11881 . Anyone tried? Stick 'em on lines at tarp end with bowline at peg end. In theory adjustable from inside tarp. 1:1 ratio rather than 2:1 although I can't see a drawback to that. In fact opposite of drawback - line could be reduced to 'zero' length if so desired. Maybe, if line very long, slightly harder to get onto the peg in the first place while adjusting it at same time? Will find out I guess! Claim they work on 1mm line, and I'll try and push them to 0.5 without much hope of success tbh.

I'm obviously at a 'loose end' at the moment...
Reg... I believe I have these on the Trekkertent (knew I recognised em from somewhere) but not a clue how to use em (sad... again). You got a link to visualise what you mean about 'scuffing' em (or something) from inside (a tarp... :shock: what the heck... I have a lot to learn
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

4/4 this year for Joe and I.
We cycled out to one of our favourite spots to meet our friends who were in their camper van. We took all our own gear, food etc of course - more important for Covid than for BAM rules just now. We had a great socially-distanced weekend with them sitting by the river in the sunshine. By next morning the van had sunk nearly to its axles :roll: :shock: No phone reception to call for help. Luckily one of our friends just happened to be passing on his quad bike and pulled them out, so no great harm done. Give me a bike any day - you can just pick it up and carry it through the mud!
ps - this isn't a campsite btw - just wild camping near the road in a remote area.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Shaf, nowt to be ashamed of, it's not as though many of us use a tautline hitch every day :smile: .

The lineloks have a little diagram in the packet. Uh-oh... you threw it away :oops: . Bound to be a diagram on tinternet somewhere.

The other ones also have a diagram out there cos I was looking at it. Then again, I've ordered some smaller ones which attach with a loop instead of webbing, will let you know when they turn up.

I also have a little laminated card with a few knot diagrams on it. You could make one and practise them. It would give you something to do under your nicely tautline hitched tarp after it gets dark early on your Nov BaM. Er, you've done your Oct BaM I presume? :wink: .

redefined_cycles

Oct BAM. Yup :cool: i was the first (DNFer) on the BB200 :grin: I was pitched on path-side from 2130 til 0530 :-bd proper BAMd it..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf - earlier this year I started a thread about knots. There's lots but really you only need to know a few and just practice them and know which situation to use them in.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:06 am Shaf - earlier this year I started a thread about knots. There's lots but really you only need to know a few and just practice them and know which situation to use them in.
Thanks Bob.... i shall try n check that out sir :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I use mini lineloks and mini-krabs on a selection of pre-tied guy lines. Mucking about with knots at any time isn't on my wishlist. When it's cold and/or wet it's just an unnecessary faff.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Agreed. Something to impress people with at parties though :smile:

Suppose it depends on what sort of parties one frequents...

redefined_cycles

Agreed with all three (Bob, Colin, Reg)... btw Reg... I just about manage to tie my shoe laces out on the trails :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:45 pm btw Reg... I just about manage to tie my shoe laces out on the trails :lol:
Here's a thought: lineloks on your shoes :grin: .

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:45 pm btw Reg... I just about manage to tie my shoe laces out on the trails :lol:
Here's a thought: lineloks on your shoes :grin: .
:lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My normal day-to-day trainers have "speed laces".
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Well, the weather was teasing me and this one almost didn't happen.

it's been damp and cold and with the longer nights I didn't see the point in setting off early. Eventually left home just after 20:00. I got about 6 km and then hit the mizzle. By the time I'd hit 12km it was properly raining. then I got to Ryvoan and the track to Forest Lodge just to find it was a quagmire as it's been used by some diggers doing a Peatlands Restoration project up Bynack. By the time I reached Forest Lodge I was cold AND filthy. I managed to find a little shelter to east a cereal bar and ponder my next move. I knew I could spin back on the road or the Speyside Way and be home in 90 minutes or so. Then I noticed a star, then a few more. That meant the clouds were clearing so I doubled down and headed off to my planned bivvy spot. Inevitably, it clouded over and started raining again before I got to the loch. My boots were now soaked by having to pedal through deep, wet heather and leaking through to my socks.

Anyway, here I was, so up with the (new, DCF) micro tarp and get everything sorted underneath it. Relax with a can of beer, have a pee and that's me for the night.

ImageIMG_20201018_103231_950 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I was pretty cosy until 7:00 or so when it was getting close to freezing.

ImageDSC_1677 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

No point in getting up then so waited until the sun was just beginning to put in an appearance.

ImageDSC_1678 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1679 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I knew I'd be putting on freezing, wet boots so made sure I was properly organised then made a dash to get everything packed.

Stopped at the cafe in Nethy Bridge on the way home for my reward :-)

ImageDSC_1680 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

10/10 for 2020. (is anyone keeping track?)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ooh, there's a lovely view to wake up to!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had originally planned to get out on Friday but the forecast was rain and as it's only the middle of the month there seemed no need to have to go, besides Jane said Ralph couldn't get wet as he's small enough already and can't risk shrinking :lol:

I then remembered I had the dentist on Monday morning at 09:20, I usually start work at 07:30 so no point going to work first so I could bivi Sunday night and have plenty of time to get home, breakfast and then head to the dentist.

I packed just the bare minimum kit I needed, sleeping bag, bivi, mat and pillow on the bars. In my rucksack I had my insulated jacket, long-johns and down booties, a buff and Ralph.

I'd managed to find another potential local bivi site, some open-access land. I'd had a quick look previously so had a good idea where I would sleep. It was only just over 3 miles away so left home just after 10pm. Tucked at the edge of the site near a hedge and in a sort of alcove in the gorse to keep out of the wind, still had a good view of the sky.... until it clouded over.

I slept well, but was only just warm enough. The bag I'd took (Criterion ultralight 200) has a comfort temp of +3 and I'm sure it didn't go below that. I had left my bibs, leg warmers, socks and long-sleeved base layer on. On top of this lot I had my long-johns, insulated jacket, down booties and the buff to keep my ears warm. I think I can safely say I'm a cold sleeper. Based on this it will be the Pipedream 600 next month as that has nearly 3 times the fill.

The alarm went off at 06:00, by 06:15 I had come to terms with the fact I'd have to get up, deflated the mat which always helps with the motivation as I was now laying on the cold ground. I'm reading Keith Foskett's High and Low at the moment, about his walk across Scotland. He also uses the 'open the valve on the mat' technique as a motivator to get up. Quick picture as proof of attendance for the thread.

I just had to get my companion up next

He'll also need an upgrade to a winter spec bag soon :grin: Packed up in no time due to the small amount of stull I'd brought and headed for home, which was easy as it was mostly downhill. Back with plenty of time for breakfast and a shower before heading to the dentist*

That's 8 in row for me and 7 for Ralph

* This went less well than the bivi as an x-ray revealed a filling is required :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hi guys, it Dan from (H) 'uddersfield. Eric. I found the Ford where you said you were in upto your knee, an alternative to cold shower. I managed to get a gross usinth bike as a prop 20 yards lower down from a large boulder. A national trails ranger warned be about trying to cycle trough the beck at the foot of Shedfon clough.
I made it as far as Bottomley on a heather or delves, on Thursday night. I had a very cold wet night under a dry tent and blessed the decision to bring a synthetic bag. I slept in water proofs, really to keep my day clothes dry from a v. Damp bag, a conseque ce of the previous evening, Eric mentioned. It the orning I decide the ground was very wet& didn't need me chewing it up. So I took the drier route along the Rochdale - brighouse canal path. I had a huge hot lunch in Tod(Morden). Then continued through to Hudds. At 5pm, Were I met my son walking home from college. He thought I'd lost the plot. 😁🙄. I had a great adventure and will be back for more. All the gear surpassed my expectation.
Ps I have some wild country to channel pegs, 20yrs old, maybe from Fisher in Keswick. 6 in long 9g each. I could have sold you a half dozen!
Attachments
IMG_21102020_003538_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
Dry tent, wet sleeping bag, bottomley
(148.65 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:07 pm Thanks for the education Reg/Colin... Reg, I'm gonna say summat that you'll be ashamed of me for, forever...

Them linelocs you show from the lightbackpacker place. I had some black versions on the shaped tarp. They were confusing and I don't think I managed to actually slide em how one would think they should slide :sad:

So much so was my problem of not understanding lineloks that I actually went to this site https://www.animatedknots.com/bowline-knot yo learn how to make a proper line taut instead....

Then I recalled that I needed it all (profanity goes here but I'm not using!) for the winter months and that my fingers get very cold very quickly at night even in the autumn months :shock:

Then I realised why so many people just prefer bivvies and just get rained and snowed on (and eventually wither away). A very sad situation indeed when you know not how to hitch a line nor how to use a line loc and to top it off, don't have a peg for soft ground :lol:

Bloomin...
See https://yamamountaingear.com/products/lineloc-tensioner
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..