Bivvy a month 2020.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Raggedstone

Re: Bivvy a month 2020.

Post by Raggedstone »

11/12 for 2020
This Bivvy a. Month thing is starting to remind me of the school holidays and homework leave it untill the last minute, that's two successive months I have got it done just in time . The November one has been the most difficult to get done both this year and last year but after reading Trep and Landslides report I convinced myself to stop being soft .
It was pretty misty so I headed up the local hill's thinking it would be a lot thicker up there what I actually found was a fullish moon and stars I rode for a couple of hours to get properly warm and found a good flat discreet spot to practice pitching the tarp by the moonlight.
ImageIMG_20201129_224642576 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I lay down for a rest with a hot chocolate and I must have dozed off for a bit when I woke I couldn't see a thing so decided for safety's sake I had better stay where I was until the fog lifted or it was light enough to find my way ! The highly visible pillowcase given to us in the gift bag at the 2018 winter event proved to be a great navigational aid to find the way back from a comfort break.
ImageIMG_20201130_060652557 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
As usual after all the prevarication it was a thoroughly enjoyable night with only the owl's for company .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Current tally at the end of month 11:-
Benconnoli
Jimmy G
RIP
Trepid
Htrider
Scotroutes
K1100T
Ericrobo
Landslide
Raggedstone
Frogatthefarriers

Still waiting on write ups from Jose McTavish for September to November.
One more to go folks!
Last edited by fatbikephil on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

htrider wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 pm Still waiting on write ups from Frogatthefarriers for November and Jose McTavish for September to November.
One more to go folks!
Froggie is currently in Moel Fferna quarry. Report to follow when I get home tomorrow.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM for November. 11/12. Last chance saloon. :-bd

I was going to do a double BAM in case Wales was locked down again, but it was not to be because I'd have had to be back at home before 9 o'clock on the 2nd. So it was a single in Moel Fferna quarry (disused) in the Berwyns.

I got there after dark, in wind and rain, but even after I'd got set up and cooked my dinner it was only 7:30-ish. Far too early to go to sleep, but what else was there to do but watch the clouds flying past the moon? Very "Lord of the Rings" it was. A good slug of Bison Grass vodka got me off to sleep but the wind dropped in the night, the skies cleared and quite a crisp frost set in. I wasn't actually cold, but not quite warm enough to sleep well, especially as I'd gone to bed so early.

The frost had almost gone by the time I stirred, there were just a few patches on the tarp. My quilt was wet with condensation though - probably why I was cold.

I pootled about for a little while in search of an adit. No luck. I did find a long length of wire cable from the tramway though.

Then back down the way I had come. Across the valley someone has been having fun with the tree-planting. The white shapes on the hillside are made up of tree-protection tubes. I'll have to remember to come back in a few years to see how they've turned out.

This is the start of the Llangollen canal, where it takes the water from the Dee. The horseshoe waterfall was built to supply a head for the intake.

Then all-day breakfast in LLangollen before rolling down the canal to Trevor and lanes back home

One more BAM for December and that'll be 72 in a row. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Smashin'. Very atmospheric. Love a good quarry as you know :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A few additions to Trep's account of our Novembivvy...

It had been a while since the BB 200 when I last saw Trep. She's a fab riding buddy, and has really improved my enjoyment of bikepacking this year, so it was great to roll out with her again.

I set out with fanciful notions of working out *why* I enjoy bikepacking and bivvying so. After a very enjoyable dry leg to our trip, I still can't quite define it.

The moonlight and stars were beautiful. There was enough light to see the landscape around us, and I crossed my fingers for stunning vistas in the morning. Wind and mist out paid to that, but never mind eh?

If you want to keep warm whilst outside your shelter, I heartily recommend taking a leaf out of this lovely person's book:
https://mobile.twitter.com/GurdeepPandher
I was doing a very loose but enjoyable version of his dancing as Trep checked out the local Phragmites. Dance like nobody is watching ONO.

Temperature is a funny thing, and down socks are great. My portable thermometer reckons it got down to -3°C overnight. At one point, I woke up shivering, but then I felt OK shortly after. Snoods are also great.

There really are few pleasures greater than brewing up next to a burbling stream as goldfinches, robins and assorted SBJs zip through the air. I still can't explain why though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIaU5EpFG6N/

I'm really glad it didn't rain for my go at the BB 200. 20km home in the wet with cold feet and hands was bad enough. Polaris have a funny definition of "waterproof".

That's 2 years' worth of BAM now. :-bd

2020 BAM 11/11
2020 total bivvies 14
Current streak (months) 24
Last edited by Bearlegged on Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Determined that no virus or virus-related governmental decree was going to derail my completion of this year’s BAMs, I headed out on Tuesday, the first day of the month. In keeping with Scotland’s current restrictions, it was a case of conducting my bivvy within Edinburgh’s Local Authority area and the Pentland Hills, lying just to the south of the city, seemed like the logical location. I’ve done several overmighters there in recent years and on this occasion decided on the woods around Bonaly Reservoir so I wouldn’t need to lug much water with me. I left home around 7 p.m and followed the Water of Leith walkway/cycle path (a mixture of tarmac and graded tracks... plus the inevitable mud sections at this time of year) to the foot of the hills. Some sections are pretty isolated and unlit so aren’t used much after dark. As a result, I only passed a handful of people on the way and it made a pleasant change not to be negotiating my way through pedestrians or dogs.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageA Tramp's Bike by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Edinburgh by night by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I had only a rough idea where I’d camp but didn’t want to be too far from the water. In the end I settled down in a spot overlooking the reservoir where the trees were thick enough to provide some degree of shelter from a wind that seemed to grow stronger as the night went on. Despite this, I had a pretty good night’s sleep broken only by the inevitable need to reluctantly get up for a pee around 4.30 a.m. The day dawned fairly bright but with a cold, biting wind and I was quite content just to lie in my sleeping bag 'for a while' and contemplate getting up 'in a few minutes'.

Never one for being in a hurry to pack up and head away from any of my overnight bivvy sites, I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and birdwatch session. I then spent an hour or so exploring the woods, scoping out other potential future bivvy locations, etc, etc. I certainly wasn’t surprised but nevertheless was very saddened to see the sheer number of stumps of sawn and chopped down trees that the fire-loving alfresco party animals had left behind them back in the summer. Some clowns had even chopped down at least one tree in order to provide seating around their reservoir ‘beach’ fire. Not to mention the dozen or so empty glass beer bottles no doubt thrown into the water at the time but now lying high and dry on the edge of the reservoir. So sad to see and one has to hope that these folk will be back getting their party fix in their beloved holiday resorts next year and we won’t see this sort of thing on quite such a scale ever again. :sad:

ImageEdinburgh in daylight by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Anyway, despite the above gripe, it was still very much an enjoyable outing and as I’ve looked out of the window at the heavy rain tonight, I’m even happier to have got it out of the way when I did. That’s 12/12 for 2020 and 36 in a row for me and I fully intend getting out each month in 2021, too. Here’s hoping we all have rather more permissive circumstances next year, though, with the opportunity to move more freely. Oh, and good luck to the rest of those who currently only have December’s bivvy to complete their BAM 2020 series!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
RIP

Post by RIP »

Marvellous! Textbook that one :smile: .

"Here is a tramp who stands and gazes". One for the gravestone epitaph list I think. Might have to be an upright burial though :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Jimmy, first completion of 2020 :-bd
The water of leith walkway tunnel has certainly come on since I was last there in 2015 (dark, dank and mucky) And compared to what it used to be like in the '90's (darker, danker, full of knife wielding neds and very mucky; also off limits to bikes :lol: )
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Nice one Jimmy - I like seeing places I recognise in your reports. Well done for completing in challenging circumstances. I remember your bivvy in the communal backgarden as one to particularly tip my hat to this year.

To all the others who post in this thread - I don't always have the time to comment on your posts but I do always enjoy them, so thanks for taking the time to write up your trips. :-bd
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

htrider wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:54 am The water of leith walkway tunnel has certainly come on since I was last there in 2015 (dark, dank and mucky) And compared to what it used to be like in the '90's (darker, danker, full of knife wielding neds and very mucky; also off limits to bikes :lol: )
Thanks Phil. The tunnel is scheduled for completion in early 2021 but looks pretty sorted to me. As you say, a huge transformation compared to the right state it was in before. Here's a wee bonus Robert Louis Stevenson pic as featured on the mural since he appears to be the inspiration behind the tunnel's makeover.

ImageRobert Louis Stevenson by Jimmy G, on Flickr

A Sustrans article gives more detail:https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/ne ... ity-mural/
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Borderer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:06 pm Nice one Jimmy - I like seeing places I recognise in your reports. Well done for completing in challenging circumstances. I remember your bivvy in the communal backgarden as one to particularly tip my hat to this year.
Much appreciated Bridget. Yes, that one was certainly very memorable. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that but it definitely has to go down as my least favourite of the year. :smile: Hopefully none of us will have to resort to such desperate measures next year!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I think there will always be dick heads camping around the Pentlands reservoirs as it's so close to Edinburgh and easy to get to. Some of the camping remains I've come across and reported have been truly horrendous.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

JimmyG wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:31 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:54 am The water of leith walkway tunnel has certainly come on since I was last there in 2015 (dark, dank and mucky) And compared to what it used to be like in the '90's (darker, danker, full of knife wielding neds and very mucky; also off limits to bikes :lol: )
Thanks Phil. The tunnel is scheduled for completion in early 2021 but looks pretty sorted to me. As you say, a huge transformation compared to the right state it was in before. Here's a wee bonus Robert Louis Stevenson pic as featured on the mural since he appears to be the inspiration behind the tunnel's makeover.

ImageRobert Louis Stevenson by Jimmy G, on Flickr

A Sustrans article gives more detail:https://www.sustrans.org.uk/our-blog/ne ... ity-mural/
Your RLS post is very appropriate. He died on this day in 1894 in Samoa.
BaM 2021
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

[/quote]
Your RLS post is very appropriate. He died on this day in 1894 in Samoa.
[/quote]

Spooky. Interestingly, despite his various health problems, he was well travelled and lived a colourful life. I shall raise a glass of beer to him tonight. :smile:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Ray Young wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:42 pm Thanks for that. Unfortunately I think there will always be dick heads camping around the Pentlands reservoirs as it's so close to Edinburgh and easy to get to. Some of the camping remains I've come across and reported have been truly horrendous.
Sadly, I think you're right Ray. It's the very ease with which these idiots can access the various reservoirs (car parks and a short walk in) that makes them so attractive. This year has been particularly bad, though, I'd say. Naively, though, I'd thought the steep trek up to Bonaly might have put some of them off! As I'm sure you know, the park rangers have been putting signs up re tree cutting, lighting fires, etc. but clearly it's not made a blind bit of difference. :sad:
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

December FAIL - DO NOT COUNT

And so December is upon us. Well done Kev, Borderer, Froggy and Jimmy for your Outs. Puts our tunnel art to shame that one!

I enjoyed last week so much I thought I'd go out again this week, hoping desperately the cloud would stay cloudy and not get soggy. Sadly, it wasn't to be...

I did not heed the warning words of the river when I left and found myself on the moors (never follow the stupid part of your brain) in deep bogs and swirling showers.

Followed the signs to...
for dinner where I cooked up soup under the shelter of the crag.

Lovely as the soup was, the wind had picked up and I really couldn't be arsed to pitch the fiddly tent on a tussocky lump of heather as the only suitable spot. Should've been sensible and stuck to the woods.

Whilst I would have weathered this one on a weekend night, the thought of 6 hours misery followed by work on Monday morning wasn't a pleasant one and I bailed for home.

As one last hurrah I caught a pure white mountain hare in the bike lights and she ran with me through the snow for about 200m before peeling off into the darkness.

Blatted down the A57 to hot curry, Strictly Come Dancing and a hot shower before bed.

Hoping for a clear starry night on my Birthday instead.

More words on the blog if you fancy them. https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... ailed.html
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
RIP

Post by RIP »

Three weeks to go. I'm foolishly holding out for a change in The Rules on the 16th with some places dropping from T3 to T2. A ridiculous hope - why would they do that just before the "5 day" thing? So when that fails I'll either be dragging myself away from the telly and crimbo cake on the 25th or maybe even try for the 31st - that would draw a satisfactory line under a somewhat strange year of BaMs.

Verena

Post by Verena »

I know it's a bit premature, it only just being Monday, but last night and this morning is going to be the highlight of my week. At last a proper bivvy, and in December too. I'd discovered this really great place only a couple of weeks ago, hillside overlooking Brecon bypass, and the ruins of a fortified post medieval farm. After a normal family evening in, I left just after nine, dressed in a zillion layers ready for sleeping, because I was worried about the cold. Little spin around the estate near me looking for garish Christmas lights ImageIMG_20201206_213658 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr ImageIMG_20201206_213727 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr , then a short sharp climb up a track to an inconspicuous gate with nothing indicating a path beyond (which is why I had never found it before), only clue being that it's the only gate that's not locked or tied up with twine. By now I was sweating buckets, not to mention huffing and puffing and pushing rather than riding. A short very squelchy slip slidey way along a field then to the track, everything looking quite a bit different in the dark. Soon I had reached the wall which told me I was nearly there. ImageIMG_20201206_215417 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr. I found myself a great spot, next to a lovely tree to lean up against, old walls to my left, and steep slope down in front of me, overlooking the twinkling lights of Brecon - magic (ok ok, and the bypass traffic noise was also very close, but it kind of added to the atmosphere. The forecast was dry, so I'd opted for my favourite, simplicity itself option of just a bivvy bag with mat stuffed inside. ImageIMG_20201206_220632 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr Now the whole drinking a cold bevvy just before bivvy time is still new to me, but I had worked up quite a thirst, so my bottle of cider was most welcome, and it certainly helped me go to sleep ImageIMG_20201206_220554 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr Bit of rain in the night, woke up a bit cold twice I think, but the whole wriggling in and out of the bivvy bag adjusting layers after having a pee warmed me right up again, and altogether not a bad nights sleep. Woke up properly at ten to five, but spent till six listening to the radio and looking up at the moon through trees ImageIMG_20201207_050136 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Breakfast - don't laugh :oops: was another fail, I had everything with me, except the stove (see also my breakfast with a view post), but luckily I had at least picked up a bottle of orange juice with my cider, so I had that before starting my descent back home.
From memory, the track would improve and be rideable from the farm ruins onwards. After about ten seconds riding I had face planted the mud :lol: Ah, I thought, remember that I am neither experienced at night riding or mountain bike riding. Slow down and walk for a bit till I got to the proper big track. I hadn't really noticed any fog before, but descending a very actively worked forestry track full of glutinous mud in the dark and fog was quite exciting. Hard to believe I was so close to town I could hear the traffic. Amazed again at just how different everything looks in the dark. Once on the level way home alongside the river track, I worried some sheep, got some owls interested, and caused abject panic among a flock of geese. Got home at 7, with not a clue in the sky that daylight may be approaching any time soon. I made my breakfast anyway and sat out on the back step to eat it, just because...ImageIMG_20201207_071334 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
I had previously booked a session in the swimming pool from 7 to 8 and hadn't managed to cancel it in time not to get fined, so I made it there in time for a quick swim and hot shower. Stepped back outside just after eight, fog had got even denser and the temperature had dropped some more. Here I was, back in civilization, thinking brrr, who'd want to be out in this :grin: Crazy, brilliant start to the week, and I do love grabbing a mini adventure the night before work...
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

ImageUntitled by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

That was December done last night...

A short local one, only 1.4 miles to there, but 230 feet ascent in first 0.6 miles.

I stopped a couple of times because:
1) just had a meal, wasn't warmed up.
2) trying to breathe through my nose

Have a listen to Patrick McKeown here, a strong advocate of nose breathing.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pa ... &FORM=VIRE

And also James Neston :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Balls. Was planning on heading out this evening to bag my December BaM. The route I'd planned for this evening and tomorrow, goes through one of the new Tier 4 areas, whose boundary is about 7 miles from the house. Back to the drawing board then; almost tempted to ask for garden camping under Emergency BaM Rules.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you do it tonight then it would also count as the socially distant C19 winter bivi and I'm sure gardens were allowed for that, even your own.

I'm in my bivi in my mum's garden for mine right now :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

We're in T4 now so that's me in the garden then. Very tedious.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tier 4 here too but our rules are just to stay within our Council area.

Only 10,000 square miles to choose from*

* not really. Advice is to limit travel where possible.